2011 Writers Challenge
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default 2011 Writers Challenge

Ok all you writers out there, I am calling you out for a challenge! haha

You pick the terms for your own individual challenge: start that book you always wanted to write or FINISH that book you started! Write poetry, songs, short stories, research papers, journalling, you name it! To-do lists don't count!

I'm a published poet but haven't written anything in a few years and have really wanted to get back in touch with my inner muse and see where it leads me

My goals for 2011 will be to write a minimum of two poems a week, more if the mood strikes and to write an outline for a book and write at least 1 chapter a month. We can motivate each other here and keep track of our progress.

One fun project I did in the past with a group was the first person wrote 1 line of poetry, the 2nd person added a line to the first person's line, and so on. In the end, it was such a beautiful poem that the whole entire group created. Maybe we can do that later on?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I blow very hot and cold about journaling, between doing it for a while because I enjoy it, and then acknowledging that it is quite pointless and a huge waste of time and quitting. I wouldn't mind committing to doing it for awhile. But no more serious writing for me. Ever. It wouldn't be any fun at all at this point.

I'll try to do at least 4 entries a week until the end of March, and decide at that point if I want to continue it and for how long. Perhaps this will establish a habit. I have a lot of downtime at work. I can probably do it there - if I can remember to carry a thumb drive around with me.

I can put it ON my to do list!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay. I'm feeling this challenge ....

I always say I'm NOT a writer. It's too much work and discipline to write something good enough to ask someone else to read.

But I'm always writing. I love the internet & comment in lots of forums.
    I just started a new blog (new year, new blog, lol) and I keep a sort of art journal. I like to cut up pictures and glue them in.
    I also write a lot letters. Real letters, lol, with stamps.

Anyway ... I'm subscribing to this thread right now. Yay!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Journalling can be really theraputic and can be really thought provoking when one rereads something they've written years before. It's neat to see how we grow as individuals, remembering the happy/sad/mad/exciting etc times we experienced. I've completely forgotten about certian things that have happened in the past and then a whole rush of memories leap forth from my journal that remind me of where I was, where I was heading in life and my strong and weak moments.

I am choosing to write just for the sheer joy of it. The creation process is what I like. Anyone can be a writer in my opinion. What someone may think is trash can be a masterpiece to someone else. Same theory applies to art in all of its mediums.

Let the funkiness abound

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have kept a journal for years, although I sometimes go several weeks without writing in it. I try to write at least fifteen minutes daily, which is the equivalent, for me, of filling both sides of a standard college-ruled sheet of binder paper. Some days I write more, but typically fill one sheet before I run out of things to write about for the day.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There was a time years ago when for a couple of years I journaled intensively, moving toward a big decision, working it all out on paper, though I didn't realize at the time that was what I was doing. A year after all the changes were made I threw it all away - and how freeing that was!

I rarely go back and read anything I've written, and don't really care to. I prefer to live life lightly, turning loose of the past day by day as much as possible. A leaf floating down the stream doesn't keep looking back to see where it has been. Anything that is good will still be with me interiorly. Everything else can go.

Keeping a journal can be rather toxic and I have to guard against that. Thoughts on paper take on an importance most of them probably don't deserve, and if I'm not watchful, I begin to think that all of my doings and thoughts are of deathless significance and to be held onto. My thoughts, my actions - they can begin to seem like the center of the universe once it's all written down. And they demonstrably are not.

On the other hand, I enjoy the exercise of writing, and sometimes still think through a decision on paper becasue that has always been effective for me. But it's a fine line between journaling lightly to pleasurably pass the time and being trapped into a way of thinking that is against my philosophy of life.

This is probably why I am ambivalent about keeping a journal. Even when it's ongoing, as it is from time to time, I don't keep the actual writing for very long. It's clutter, whether on paper or on the computer, because I know I will never go back and look at it. I try to look at writing a journal as nothing more than an amusement. When I do that, I can hold it lightly without enshrining the me-ness of it as something valuable in itself.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I enjoy keeping a chronicle of the day's events. I don't get into anything toxic, probably because I deal with things as they happen and try not to hang on to them. If I have a rough day, I may note that it was a rough day and summarize why, but that is pretty much it. I typically write a summary of the day, usually including banal things like the weather, what I did that day, etc, and sometimes, if I'm having a profound moment, I'll document it. Often, I'll note what I hope to accomplish the next day, just as a way to solidify it in my mind. I don't really go back and read old entries, either, although I have sometimes, if I'm trying to find a day that something happened, and it is always entertaining (and sometimes enlightening) to read who I was several years ago, and to reflect on how things have or have not changed since then.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My goal was four days a week. Last week there were only three days left after I joined the challenge, but since I wrote every day, I counting that a success. So 1 down, 11 to go!

Madhen, that sounds a lot like what I do. I don't do "profound" in journals. The things I am most likely to write to work through are financial decisions, all the pros and cons as I mull it over. Otherwise, it's a pretty much just a boring list of what I did. What I try to guard against is thinking that what I did is a lot more important than it is, just because it's written down and preserved.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wrote 6 poems since I started this challenge lol That's the most poetry I've written in years! I'm pretty stoked about it. I haven't published anything in such a long time but perhaps once I have a big enough collection of works I'll publish again. This challenge was a way for me to get off my butt and get back into doing something I truly enjoy (writing).

I still need to work on that book outline and get the 1st chapter done this month

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm a published writer, also, who hasn't taken the time to write much or persue publishing lately. But since I'm mostly retired now, I have very little excuse.

I'm working on a short story right now that has started expanding beyond its limits. It's a father who knows that he is dying, and he tries to give his children the things that he really wants to give them later on. But he won't be around later on. I'll keep you informed on how it goes.

I'm enjoying keeping a blog, where I try to explore life in a literary fashion. When I publish there, I'll set up a link here. I would appreciate any feedback that you care to give! Take a look at some of my writings now.
    glorybug.wordpress.com
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I started writing out a workshop presentation that I'm working on. Still need to work on the book outline and get chapter 1 done.

I like how that once I decided to make writing a part of my life again, it was like meeting up with a good old friend you haven't seen in years. It brings alot of joy and quiet serenity into my life, I cherish that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm re-working the terms of my challenge "contract." My work schedule is changing (for the bad in my opinion) on the 28th for six weeks, and I am going to be very tired. I don't know if this will keep me from doing anything, or more entries just because it's easier than anything else I could be doing. So instead of 4 a week for 12 weeks, I'll just count up to 48 entries in my signature. After that, I'll see about continuing or not.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

GREAT idea for a challenge, Crafty!
    My goal is to have a book-length manuscript by the end of the year. Eating the elephant, piece by piece. Was aiming to have a chapter a month, but thinking that an outline/table of contents might be more useful so I can map out where I'm going. Am also hoping to enter a travel writing contest with a deadline on 2/15, so all energy goes toward that right now. Hopefully, will be able to use some of the material for the manuscript.

Thanks again, Crafty!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hmm. One of my stated resolutions this year is to finish the 3 books I have in progress: a memoir (been working on it, it is the hardest emotionally for me to do, but the shortest piece too), a kitchen book (mostly needs data acquisition, plug & play and franklly is pretty boring to work on!), and a novel, which I just had a breakthrough on last week.

The memoir and novel are probably 75% done in a first draft, the kitchen book about 25% done. All of them are completely outlined. All of them have suffered from me getting to a place where I didn't couldn't write to the level I wanted, not knowing what to do next, or just plain bad habits.

My goal is to have a draft of all three (or at least the memoir and the novel) by 6/30 . I have no idea if I'll make it or not. I still don't have a regular writing routine!

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just upped the ante for myself. A customer of mine is a pro. freelance writer,and I just asked for a quote for a ms. review for the memoir, sometime in the next six months.

Since this fellow supports himself and his wife with his writing, I cannot putz around if I make a commitment to him, I have to deliver, barring truly life-altering circumstances!

Judi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast