New Wardrobe Challenge
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default New Wardrobe Challenge

One of my body problem areas continues to be my flabby arms. Because of the heat and humidity here, I have not be opposed to wearing sleeveless clothes - until - yesterday's preschool workshop wherer we were videoed as part of an activity. Okay, so now I am converted to the I had better not wear sleeveless clothes until my arms more than shape up.

So now my problem is creating tops that are cool and coverup. I remember years ago I made a lightweight terrycloth dress with dolman sleeves that were split from the shoulder to the elbow. Since I no longer have that pattern, I think I'll play around with creating my own.

In addition I need to start doing more upper body exercises - and of course, as usual, I welcome any and all questions and comments and advice!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SLEEVES

The first step to disguising larger upper arms is picking the right sleeve. Anything tight, clingly and in second-skin fabric is out. So is anything too delicate (like spaghetti straps) because it would make your arms look enormous by comparison. Forego t-shirts with tight cap sleeves in favor of short sleeve tops with fluttery "butterfly" sleeves that hit you around the top third of your upper arm - just under the bicep.

Three-quarter sleeves are your friends, as long as the fabric is not so thin as to cling to and exaggerate every bit of jiggle. Sleeves like that zero in on the most refined portion of your arm - the lower half of the forearm and the delicate wrist, thus distracting from the heftier upper arm.

Tops and dresses in soft fluttery fabrics with bell sleeves and fluted sleeves are definitely in, especially when combined with small fabric patterns. The small pattern obscures where you end and your sleeve begins, so who is to know? And those beautiful old-fashioned sleeves still showcase your lovely feminine wrists.
    How to disguise full arms with fashion - by Maria K. - Helium

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mahalo - good article - great ideas!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wink

Good grief, Maui; you're a gorgeous-looking woman, with a beautiful smile and tons of positive personality! Leave your arms alone, so the rest of us can compete.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I look like hell in shorts. Consequently, I don't wear shorts. But when we went to Missouri last year for an RV rally, I knew I better darn well have some shorts along! I wore shorts every day for a week! I looked like hell, but with 100 degree temps, 100% humidity, and overnight lows in the high eighties, I felt like I was at the mouth of hell so what did it matter if I looked like it, too?

I just looked at your avatar with you in your sleeveless top and you look great to me. Don't be so darn hard on yourself! We are always our own toughest critics, whether we 'deserve' that or not.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

MM - your avatar shows nothing that you are mentioning. I think you are gorgeous just the way you are!! Don't be so hard on yourself hon!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I thought you looked lovely and I have flabby arms and it is hard to find a t shirt that covers them properly and flattering. Cap sleeves are horrible, love fluttery tops, 3/4 length sleeve t shirts, foot ball t shirts, and a regular mans t shirt. reminds me i am t shirt poor. by the way sassy is helping me type again. hugs pen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    I welcome any and all questions and comments and advice!!
    And I say..........."jest fergit 'bout it"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like someone else said.........we are our own worst critics!!!

What the hey............just be glad we have made it this far girl!!!

If I lived in your heat I would be wearing tank tops too.......at my age
    COMFORT is more important than looking good. Age be damned.........everyone will get there........if they are lucky.

But can't agree with the article about 3/4 sleeves.........don't care what they cover up.........dislike them. They have to be at my wrist or above my elbow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

How funny to see this brought up again. Part of my problem probably stems from the fact that I don't really have any guidelines or role models for this older generation that I've slid into - and consequently holding onto too young images.

Guess for turning 66 next month, I don't have to be quite so severe in my criticism of myself. Think you're right, but shall probably ponder it for awhile - mahalo!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

MM, I've always said that if I won the lottery I was going to open an Old Fogey Store - electronics and phones that don't take need a PhD in engineering to use, clothes that are straightforward, not covered with sparklies, and actually cover the bits that people our age think ought to be covered, and so on.

It's just not that easy to find things that aren't "too young," and if you aren't an easy fit, it's even harder. I can't wait until I retire and can revert to jeans for shopping and any old scrubby thing around the apartment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Haha! I didn't notice the date on this thread. Oh, well.

I hate 3/4 sleeves, too. They just don't feel right, and they look like someone ran out of material. I hate capri pants for the same reason, plus I look short, fat, and dumpy in those. They make me think the wearer couldn't decide between shorts and pants!