Virtual Crafting Weekend Retreat
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Virtual Crafting Weekend Retreat

I've taken a look at past posts from previous years and saw that a virtual crafting weekend retreat was held and was quite popular at the time. Would anyone be interested in one this month or in December? It's where we choose a weekend (Friday/Saturday/Sunday) to craft at home and post online with pictures about our progress. I've participated in other forums (Ravelry) and these are pretty fun and I get a lot done. I wanted to keep it open to all crafting as I currently scrapbook and knit, and will be learning to sew as well. Might be great for getting Christmas presents done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I would loooove too! I loved the "Crafters' Retreat Weekends".
    More and more these days I have to schedule time to sew. Well, more like schedule my time so that DH will be completely available to handle what I usually handle.
    I have scrapbook stuff to do too!
    Anyone wanna retreat this weekend or next? Probably not a good idea to do it Thanksgiving weekend. ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Oh, another part of my planning for those weekends was to really pretend that I was going away. That meant I wasn't doing laundry or housework or cooking(warming up but not cooking)on my retreat weekend. So I was sure to have leftovers or sandwich fixin's ready to go. Even though I wasn't literally sewing from sunup to sundown, having my time all my own was a huge deal!~

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds good to me. I can craft and look out at the lake, just like at a real retreat.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The 18th thru 20th of November is good for me, I have to work this weekend

Or, the first weekend in December (2nd thru 4th) works great as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Anyone want to craft along with me this weekend? Post here what you're working on.

I had to work yesterday, but was able to finish knitting the cuff and leg of a sock for me. I'm on the heel/foot/toe today. I will also be finishing up a sweater for myself for celebrating Thanksgiving with my family tomorrow, and will work on my Christmas dress.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So far today I have assembled the butterfly and the 3ft tall cross in felt for the banners. I went to the new Hobby Lobby in our area and got some different colors of felt and some embroidery floss to add highlights and different designs that will be part of the wheat sheaves and the scallop shell. It is now after 1:00 and I need some lunch.

Making progress though. I will post pictures of what I have done later today.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm working on a variety of things this weekend (unfortunately I have to cook dinner and do dishes, too) and I expect to get a lot done.

I'll be posting to this thread, though: https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/...20-2011-a.html

I'm up for another weekend in Dec!
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Eight Snuggles done for the shelter where we'll take them on Monday. Four more to go so each adult cat gets one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Eight Snuggles done for the shelter where we'll take them on Monday. Four more to go so each adult cat gets one.
    I need some tips here please, and thank you.

I am working with a J hook and 3 strands of yarn.
    Two are 2 ply rug yarn, and one is 4 ply acrylic.
    It seems to be real slow going for me.
    I am doing a single crochet.
    No way is this going to be a simple project for me.
    Do I need a bigger crochet hook ?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The hook I used was about an M. I'm not sure because there's no size on it, so that's a guess. J seems small if you're doing three strands of worsted weight. Rug yarn is even heavier.

I'm also using a double crochet stitch, so each stitch is almost an inch tall, which is what makes it go so quick.

I think if you use three strands of yarn with a J hook, it's not going to make a very soft pad. IMO it would be better to use less yarn and make the pad twice as big, then double it.

I tried using a really big Q hook but it ended up being slow and frustrating for me. The M seemed to work best for me and the yarn I was using.

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made 3 Thanksgiving cards for family to send out tomorrow! They turned out cute.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    The hook I used was about an M. I'm not sure because there's no size on it, so that's a guess. J seems small if you're doing three strands of worsted weight. Rug yarn is even heavier. I'm also using a double crochet stitch, so each stitch is almost an inch tall, which is what makes it go so quick.
    I think if you use three strands of yarn with a J hook, it's not going to make a very soft pad. IMO it would be better to use less yarn and make the pad twice as big, then double it.
    I tried using a really big Q hook but it ended up being slow and frustrating for me. The M seemed to work best for me and the yarn I was using. Hope that helps.
    Thanks
    I will finish the one I am working on. I'm calling it a mini rug.
    Not sure what I have here for bigger hooks. May have to buy one.
    I have 10 cones of this yarn/fiber, 50 pounds worth. Not enough info on it for me to positive id it. I am guessing some kind of rug yarn/thread. It has a scratchy rough feel. It is 2 ply, so about half the thickness of worsted weight 4 ply. It's one of those situations where I am making lemonade from lemons. I tried selling the this yarn, but have had no takers yet. I had it on the knitting machine yesterday but could not get my tension right. And these are big high cones. Not enough clearance under the tension mast as the yarn is worked off. I have them sitting on the floor now next to my rocking chair, one on each side of me as I work it with the crochet hook.

I will post a picture when I finish it, and the yarn strands too.