2012 Twenty Wishes Challenge - Page 12
Page 12 of 87 FirstFirst ... 291011121314152262 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar View Post
    Sounds like you have some excellent ideas there, peanut.

I'm afraid that, while I got many things done over the long weekend, none of it pertained to the 20 wishes. I did buy some muslin for the bean bags, but didn't actually start on them. Oh well.
    I agree peanut. Lots of interesting stuff.

Cedar, I can identify with your second comment too. I get a lot done but it rarely pertains to my 20 wishes. However, we are continuing to declutter at least a little bit every day but I don't post about it unless we do a big project. That was my #1 wish for this winter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Today's focus was spiritual...

5. Improve my spiritual life through monthly retreats, daily prayer time and weekly Bible study. - Our church just started up a monthly ladies group and a weekly Bible study for ladies today.

The ladies group will focus on education related to missions, etc., not only in the church, but outside it. And it will have a fund raising component. But mostly it is for socialization.

The Bible study is on various spiritual disciplines. It was very good actually, despite the fact no one wanted to share anything on prayer. Three or four of us did...out of twelve. We had a good time at least! And I did learn a few things. I am going to try some different practices here at home as a result.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

1. Finish my Mom's quilt I started - this was my main focus today. I laid out all squares and decided on the layout. NOW I can finally start sewing the squares together!!! I am hoping to get at this part sometime this week while it is cold outside.
    5. Work through whole stash of yarn. - finished another cowl today that used up another skein of yarn. Working on the knitting block blanket tonight. So far used up a skein of black and red.
    8. Exercise 7 times per week. - 17 minute hike, 30 minute walk/run and 100 squats
    9. Lose 12 pounds - nothing more lost this week but I think that maintaining while I am quitting smoking is pretty good. All I want to do is snack now that I can actually taste food!
    10. Improve and maintain my spiritual health by reading through the bible again this year. - read my readings last night before bed
    12. Follow new diet plan outlined by dietician for optimum health. - did well today and had all my veggies and fruit
    13. Quit smoking. - day 17!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

19. Do a piece of rug hooking every month. - finished the canola field rug...

I'm playing with a lot of things in this rug, and it's the first time I've done many things...I am not entirely sure I like it, but it is a good starting point. If I remind myself it was just a colour exercise and I haven't designed anything in ages, well, then I can handle it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're our own worst critics, Peanut. It's beautiful!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

4. Give Up paper towels- I have done well with this
    6. Earn $500 from my own devices- need to make a plan.
    7. Participate in a 31 days of (something) each month- trying to keep up with this.
    11. Sell creations on Etsy-reset shop, now working on inventory.
    15. Work on relationships-been working on Chevy man and I's relationship. Now I need to focus on gma and gpa.
    18. get re-involved with my online communities- spend a lot more time here on on ravelry. need to focus on a few others.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Peanut your rug is gorgeous! How did you do that? I've never seen anything like it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1) Read the bible in a year ((Got a little behind with this one. Hoping to catch up today.))

2) Lose 25 lbs ((Weight is holding steady at the moment. Still working back into a healthy diet after the holidays.))

3) Walk 10,000 steps per day ((Did horribly over the three day weekend, because most of the work I needed to do was on the computer. Yesterday was back to work, and I managed 12,000 steps.))

4) Open a Roth IRA ((This is not going to happen this month. I spoke with an investing firm today. Need $2500 to open an IRA. So I’m starting a specific fund for that. Goal here is $2500 saved by June 1st.))

5) One new craft project per month ((This month is the bean bags. I have all of the fabric. I’m hoping to start on this on Saturday. Depending on how it goes, I might even finish then too.))

6) Use up all of the fabric in the fabric drawer ((The bean bag project should help me in this respect.))

7) Learn some sketching skills & fill 1 sketchbook ((Lacking motivation here at the moment.))

8) Keep a Q&A Journal for a year ((Still doing this one. It's going well.))

9) Plant a small vegetable garden ((This weekend I will be planting. Radishes, Carrots, and peas. Maybe also cucumbers if I can find a good pot.))

10) Write a novel ((This is currently on hold, I guess. Lacking motivation here too. Since I can’t do everything all at once, I may leave this for the second half of the year.))

11) Set up a bird feeder area/butterfly garden ((I have flower seeds now for the butterfly bushes. Waiting for spring now, I guess.))

12) Take 2012 pictures or more ((No new pictures yet, but I will be taking some of the new garden as I set it up next week. Also I changed the number from 2000 to 2012, because I like the number and it can’t be that hard to take 12 more pictures.))

13) Take another sewing class ((I browsed the classes list when I went in on Monday, but didn’t see any projects that caught my eye for January or February. I will wait for the next wave of classes.))

14) Add $5000 to savings ((I added to savings the other day. May be tweaking this as I save for the IRA.))

15) Give to charity monthly ((January Giving - DONE. This month I choose online giving to KIVA, a site that specializes in micro-loans to people in developing countries. My donation went to a man in Mongolia who builds tradition furniture from wood. He will be able to afford more wood and new tools now.))

16) Walk on treadmill twice a week ((Walked last night. 1 of 2 for the week done.))

17) Play every video game I own to completion ((Stagnating here too. I don’t usually have much free time for video games. Maybe I’ll pick my top five for the year or something...))

18) Grow my hair out & donate to Locks of Love again ((Still growing...))

19) Finish 2 spool knit rugs for desk chair ((I have about 18” of the first rug done. I’m going to need more than that, though.))

20) Implement one new green habit per month ((Yes, I changed this one. Again. But this is one I feel very strongly about. For January I will be switching all of my hygiene products from chemical-based to green products. ))

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

TWENTY WISHES January Goals
    1.Declutter the house January: sort through one box in the storage room and deal with the contents; clean out kitchen cabinets. So far, I've done 3 cabinets. I hope to do more today.

4.Study the Bible DH and I have 5-part Bible study that we are going to go through together. Finally started this Friday morning. Would you believe I've lost Part 1? This is so annoying!

13. Study history
    I am studying Medieval History through a free online course from Sam Houston St U. In January I should cover (1) The Transformation of the Ancient World, (2) The Migration of Peoples, (3) The Formation of Western Christendom, (4)The Frankish Kingdom and the Carolingian Empire. I plan to do the required reading and answer the essay questions

18. organize my wardrobe I've tried on all the new clothes I was given, started a Goodwill bag, put away a bunch of summer clothes. I'm researching wardrobe capsules to get ideas.

19. write
    I started a credit course in creative writing in December. It will end February 3. I'm having fun with it. It's all online. Now on Lesson 11 and working on the creative piece I have to submit for the exam after Lesson 12.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Peanut, I agree, the rug is beautiful. I like the colors and the way the rug is divided into sky, field, etc. I like the different blues and the white in the sky. That makes it look alive or dynamic.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks everyone. I know I'm my own worst critic. I was binding it at a church event during lunchtime the other day and had mixed responses from people. The artist in the crowd "got it" though. So I'm happy. She came over and chatted me up about the piece. When I told her all that went into it I think she was surprised.

It is only 11 x 14" and is made up of 1/6" strips of wool fabric, home spun yarn, wool fleece, mohair locks, sari silk yarn, art yarn...some of it hand dyed using natural dyes or Majic Carpet dyes, some commercially dyed. There's a LOT of experimenting in that there little piece!

I've never tried to make a pictorial rug that small before. That was my biggest problem...especially when it came to the foreground. Getting detail in a 1/6" cut and art yarn is difficult.

ETA: Chevy_Chicks it's called traditional rug hooking. You pull yarn or fabric through a backing with a hook that looks like a crochet hook on a short stubby handle. If you check a site called http://www.hookingrugs.com/, you'll see some more examples.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

2. Make something for sale each week. - finally finished the 4 cornered apron.

Cut out two yoga mat bags and two craft aprons for toddlers.

5. Improve my spiritual life through monthly retreats, daily prayer time and weekly Bible study. - Listening to R.C. Sproul. He lost me on his discussion of free will I think. I'm only half listening now. I may listen to it again, but he just didn't make sense to me. Did my daily devotions today.

6. Renovations - utility room, north fence, revamp front yard. - DH bought some resin shelving units instead of buying plywood to make nice ones for the utility room. We just can't find the plywood locally! All he wanted was 3/4" fir, but there's not enough in town...we needed 12 sheets...at $50/sheet. The resin was much cheaper. DH found it 30% off at Canadian Tire last night. So it was $160 total for the shelving. Quite a savings!

That determines our decor for the room. It will be a modern style black and white room with metal fixtures and a shock of kelly green (the old carpet) for an accent colour. I may balance it with some hot pink lidded bins on the shelving units. They're $7 at Home Depot right now.

9. Eat healthy - trying to narrow down what I'm reacting to in the food I'm eating. Seems eating anything gives me a runny nose and headache.

10. Exercise 5x/week - did a 1 mile exercise DVD today that included upper body.

11. Do affirmations daily - done.

12. Keep a balanced budget for my allowance. - had to order a texture kit to go with my rug hooking class, which was disappointing. But I have the cash for that already, and I've set it aside for my CC bill when it comes in. Had to put it on CC because it was an online order.

14. Continue fibre arts education. Focus on rug hooking. - see above.

15. Build a network of creative people. - Having fun keeping up with people on various rug hooking sites I'm on.

16. Acquire teacher training to teach workshops. - I've been asked to teach a new set of Korean students next week. So I'll be taking them to a local museum and seeing where their English stands.

18. Write e-book. - I spent time today going over the e-book on goal setting. Not sure if I should just leave it as my original blog posts, or try and distill from them. Some of them are quite old and dated. Will think on it. Changes all my examples if I try and update it though.

19. Do a piece of rug hooking every month. - I think I will have my rug hooking cut out for me for February, due to the course I'm taking. However, the rest of this month I want to focus on getting the lupin rug whipped into shape.

20. Learn to take better photographs of my craft projects for selling online. - I took a better photo of one of the hats I have for sale on Etsy and uploaded it. Also added my Canola Field rug for sale. I must add a hanging sleeve to the back of it...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We started cleaning out the spare bedroom today. Ugh, that's going to take forever. I can't believe the crap that's back there. I went through some boxes of papers and spent the day asking myself 'why?'

I did find a pattern I was looking for a while back! It's for some cat beds including a tent, a fish, and a square little house. I had almost convinced myself I had never bought it, after I turned my sewing room inside out looking for it. How the heck it got buried in the spare room I'll never know.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

1. Finish my Mom's quilt I started - sewed 8 rows today
    5. Work through whole stash of yarn. - worked on the knitted block blanket again today...looking through yarn stash to help me decide what to work on next
    8. Exercise 7 times per week. - 45 minute hike through the woods and 100 squats
    9. Lose 12 pounds - still at the same weight
    10. Improve and maintain my spiritual health by reading through the bible again this year. - readings done last night for yesterday
    12. Follow new diet plan outlined by dietician for optimum health.- did well today
    13. Quit smoking. - day 18
    14. Join or attend some type of craft group this year. - I have been exploring some sites online for now
    18. Meditate at least 3 times per week - spent 15 minutes today
    19. Take photographs 3 times per week to increase photography skills and portfolio - took a set today of portraits...need to work on this subject some more

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1. Read the bible in a year ((Still a bit behind here, but I think I can catch up this morning before work.))

3. Walk 10,000 steps per day ((Yesterday I walked 10,101 steps.))

8. Keep a Q&A Journal for a year ((Keeping up with this one very well.))

20. Implement one new green habit per month ((I’ve replaced all of my soaps with organic soaps made from natural ingredients. That includes replacing my shampoo with a shampoo bar that is natural. In all honesty I tried this before, but the shampoo bar wasn’t making my hair as soft and clean feeling as the regular shampoo did. When I went on my trip earlier this month I took regular shampoo and simply never switched back. It’s made me feel guilty ever since.))

Page 12 of 87 FirstFirst ... 291011121314152262 ... LastLast