2012 Twenty Wishes Challenge - Page 13
Page 13 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3101112131415162363 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar View Post
    8. Keep a Q&A Journal for a year ((Keeping up with this one very well.))

20. Implement one new green habit per month ((I’ve replaced all of my soaps with organic soaps made from natural ingredients. That includes replacing my shampoo with a shampoo bar that is natural. In all honesty I tried this before, but the shampoo bar wasn’t making my hair as soft and clean feeling as the regular shampoo did. When I went on my trip earlier this month I took regular shampoo and simply never switched back. It’s made me feel guilty ever since.))
    Cedar, I keep meaning to ask you about the Q&A Journal. Can you tell me about it? It sounds interesting.

Have you tried Dr Bronner's liquid soap? DS and DD use in on their hair and their bodies. They both like it. DS recently experimented with baking soda because he ran out of the almond soap. He liked that too and has been using it for a couple of weeks now. Mom tried it and said it made her scalp and neck sting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Peanut, and anyone else interested in self-publishing a book, here's a list of things to look out for. I follow this guy on FB and he seems to be on the mark about all kinds of things. Plus he's just hilarious to read sometimes.

10 Common Self-Publishing Scams

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am having such a hard time with this challenge it involves more me time than I seem to have. I am out of my robe, the treadmill is a bust, and I have found 1 of my rough drafts for my cookbook.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, already 19 days into the year and I haven't made much progress at all ...I need to get to work!!!

2. Eat better and exercise (along with overweight dog) so that I can lose 75lbs and she can lose 10 I've lost 2lbs/but the dog has gained another 1.6, must have another TALK with mom about not giving her bacon, eggs and toast for breakfast

4. Create small emergency fund some small progress there, managed to save $60 from last paycheck if I can do that for every one this year that would be $1560

7. Cancel netflix just did that! yay, one thing completed!!

16. Read 40 books, including some non-fiction, and some history books about the Great Depression, Nazi Germany, Early American History, Ancient Egypt, and some on topics I like that others find kooky like alien abductions, zombies, bigfoot, hauntings and zombies.Have finished 2 this year (One Second After, The Lovely Bones), in the middle of 2 more (The Shack, Eat-Love-Pray), and have a few more lined up for after I finish these (The Road, Water for Elephants, Secret Life of Bees)

20. Be more active with mypoints, swagbucks, mycoke rewards, p.c. surveys and more, gift cards earned through these programs actually helped a great deal this past Christmas. have over a hundred bottle top caps to enter at mycoke rewards and at least 40 flaps...just haven't felt like doing it. But doing plenty of surveys and searches on the other sites, points building up nicely

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Today I've been working on...

2. Make something for sale each week. - I've been sewing up yoga mat bags. Unfortunately the tension on my sewing machine is going wacky. I may have to take it in for servicing. I hate doing that! It costs money I don't have. Plus it's usually gone for two weeks.

16. Acquire teacher training to teach workshops. - This teaching gig on Monday & Wednesday is not going to be pretty. I decided it's the last one I'll do through the church. The minister is trying to micro manage my teaching style. I am not happy with that. We are supposed to be encouraging Korean students new to Canada to learn English, not bludgeon them over the head with lectures and tests! Let the ESL classes do that!

I've also decided I'll quit English Corner after this semester. I'll just teach the kids on my own, my own way. The church people are way too structured for me. I am definitely coming at education from a different angle.

The other day the minister was all excited at a ladies group about how whole language has ruined our kids and our schools and we should have a return to phonics. She was going to bring in a speaker on the subject. A blatant disregard for different learning styles and personality types.

I had one kid learn the rules of phonics after being taught to recognize patterns in language. And another learned how to spell through a whole language approach that led to phonics. She never could remember the phonics rules. But she could memorize spelling and word families, and learned a lot through kineasthetic means and mneumonics. She used to make the shape of the word with her body to help her remember how to spell it...interesting, but it worked.

So yeah, I'd say I have major differences of opinion about education and how it should be done than this church group allows for...so I'm backing out. I think it's best to avoid confrontation in this situation.

I am not giving up this goal though. I have two students coming once a week just to learn how to cook Canadian. I will teach them the way I teach best and they learn best -- hands on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thumbs up Rolling right along!

Here's a recap of progress so far this month.

1. Work in house office one hour every workday. This is my husband's challenge and so far he's doing great. He's gotten 200 books ready to donate, sorted a bunch of stuff to shred, recycled tons of cluttery paperwork, and sorted another fifty books to possibly sell. I'm so proud of him! It's not easy for him to let go of his stuff.

4. Install new stove hood. Half done, but at least there's a light over the stove now.

5. Install shelf/pot rack over sink. Done, picture posted. Love it!

12. Finish installing stove pipe in living room. Done, and so is the trim up on the ceiling.

16. Build access panel under breaker box. #1 to be crossed off the hit list.

17. De-clutter and organize guest room. In progress. Loads of boxes emptied so far, and lots of stuff ready to donate/shred/recycle/etc.

19. Modify pot rack shelf. Done, and Corningware is installed and much easier to access, plus baking supplies are moved to pull out in island, also now easier to access.

22. Finish installation of knotty pine in living room. My husband did most of this, and it's great to have it done. We also finally installed the patio door blind.

Wow, it looks like so much when it's laid out like that and marked with red comments!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You know what is the best for you peanut. Teach away! I think those students are very lucky to have you.

1. Finish my Mom's quilt I started - sewed rows 8 - 13 today
    5. Work through whole stash of yarn. - knit this afternoon and will some more tonight
    8. Exercise 7 times per week. - 45 minute walk/run and 100 squats this morning
    9. Lose 12 pounds - down .8 this morning.... 3.6/12
    10. Improve and maintain my spiritual health by reading through the bible again this year. - readings done last night before bed for yesterday
    11. Organize paperwork from last three years - organized folders and dated them, now need to get busy on this asap
    12. Follow new diet plan outlined by dietician for optimum health - did well today
    13. Quit smoking. - day 19

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Driving
    4. Feel more confident driving alone in the car.
    - Drive once a week by myself. Start small.
    - Drive SO and I home occasionally.

Drove by myself for the first time today! Scary but I have to keep at it until I feel more confident. It's got to be done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am still trying to figure out what my 20 wishes are...problem is I have a habit of wishing for things/changes for other people and there isn't a whole lot I can do for them except wish and pray. Hopefully, before the end of the month I will have my list together...at least that's my hope.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

mombotto: I learned a couple years ago to only make wishes for myself. Anything that required anyone else's involvement invariably didn't get done. They just weren't as committed to the projects/goals as I was.

Today I finished listening to R.C. Sproul...thank goodness! I think we'll just leave that one as done and move on.

Yesterday I talked to a friend about the toddler coveralls I was having problems putting buttonholes in. She has a super-duper snap application machine and great snaps she offered to use to finish them off. So when she comes back from her trip we'll do that.

Been on my rug hooking sites today catching up with everything going on.

Spoke to the minister's husband about teaching the Koreans next week (we were both at a group helping teach ESL students last evening). He suggested I not worry too much about his wife's expectations and just go ahead and do what I normally do with them when they first come to town. Thing is, I never take them as a group. I take them one at a time on a field trip where they have no choice but to speak English...because there's no one around other than me and I don't speak Korean! I told him the time I have with them is barely enough to assess them. He suggested I do just that then! Easy going guy. So I will...my own way.

Set up and organized for cooking lessons this weekend for other ESL students. But we'll see who shows up. Two have begged off till next week, and the third has a car that doesn't work right now. The fourth is excited to come. So I hope someone makes it for my Sunday afternoon lessons!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

1. Finish my Mom's quilt I started - finished sewing all blocks together this afternoon. Now have to sew rows 1 - 20 together. I did sew row 19 and 20 together today. I hope I will have more time to work on it tomorrow.
    5. Work through whole stash of yarn. - deciding on more projects today
    8. Exercise 7 times per week. - 45 minute hike and 100 squats this morning
    9. Lose 12 pounds - done another .8 this morning. Whoot! 4.2/12
    10. Improve and maintain my spiritual health by reading through the bible again this year. - yesterday's reading done last night before bed
    12. Follow new diet plan outlined by dietician for optimum health. - did well today
    13. Quit smoking. - day 20
    14. Join or attend some type of craft group this year. - becoming more involved in Ravelry and looking around at other website groups. I have not found anything locally yet.
    19. Take photographs 3 times per week to increase photography skills and portfolio - more taken today. Decided at the end of each month this year I will create a folder for that month and save the pictures on a jump drive. This way if my computer crashes, I won't lose all my pictures.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Been a long day here. Almost called out of work today, but decided not to. Suffering from a nasty cold, so not much accomplished. Managed to rack up 10,266 steps though. 10k is usual on days when I work and run around after the small children.

Daylily, the Q&A journal is really neat. It's a journal that spans five years. Every day you open to the page with the correct date, and in a few lines, answer the question asked. Each page has five sections, one for each year. So today's question was "Are you holding a grudge? About?". I bought mine from Amazon. It is amazingly compact, only about 6 inches tall and 4 inches wide. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Day-5-Year-Journal-Potter-Style/dp/0307719774/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327109570&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Q and A a Day: 5-Year Journal (9780307719775): Potter Style: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51i%[email protected]@[email protected]@51i%2B7sCQq2L[/ame]

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Weekly Review

2. Make something for sale each week. - the tension on my sewing machine isn't working, so can this idea for a couple weeks. Takes that long for them to fix machines here! However I finished the 4 cornered apron, solved what to do with the coveralls, and managed to get most of a yoga bag sewn before the tension quit on my machine. I also have another yoga bag and two toddler craft aprons cut out. Plus my friend dropped off some peach denim to turn into gardening aprons etc.

4. Sell crafts at 2 or more craft sales, and online. - Created another Treasury List on Etsy to drive people to my shop. Also updated a couple of photos and added more for sale.

5. Improve my spiritual life through monthly retreats, daily prayer time and weekly Bible study. - Reading "Bad Girls of the Bible" and "Giving" from the Pursuing Spiritual Transformation series. Finished R.C. Sproul's "Chosen by God".

6. Renovations - utility room, north fence, revamp front yard. - DH and I bought shelving and bins for the utility room, deciding the colour scheme and style of the room. We also decided we won't buy anymore bins until we can determine what we need. We'll fill the ones we have first, and wait till after the next payday to buy anymore, if we need them.

8. Improve health by losing 34 lbs. - Down 1.8 lbs. from last Friday...makes over 20 lbs. since spring. That works out to 5.6 lbs. since Jan. 1st. 28.4 lbs. to go!

9. Eat healthy - So far so good. Started the Elimination Diet this week. Temptation is strong, but so are my alternatives! DH made Welsh Cakes tonight. I cracked out the rice cakes and pumpkin seed butter. Almost as good.

10. Exercise 5x/week - Managed this.

11. Do affirmations daily. - Done for this week. I am thinking I need to adjust/add to these.

12. Keep a balanced budget for my allowance. - Struggling with this now. I think I can do it. I have to watch one time big capital expenses from sucking my funds away. I had enrolled for a rug hooking course before Christmas, thinking I could use my supplies here for the course. But then the instructor posted a 'texture' kit for sale and it was all funky yarns. I realized no way do I have what's needed or enough of what I do have. So I ended up having to spend $115CAD unplanned on that. Plus I am spending money to fly to the Winter Special Olympics to see my niece compete.

13. Spend one morning a week in nature.
    - Too cold for that this week! I am not spending a morning outside in a -40C wind chill environment.

14. Continue fibre arts education. Focus on rug hooking. - Preparing for my upcoming online rug hooking class, reading rug hooking blogs, listening/watching rug hooking videos/DVDs.

15. Build a network of creative people.
    - Working on building online networks at the moment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can I be in your network?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sure SD? Do you have a blog or anything I can follow? I just assume I will follow my FV friends on FV. But if you have a greater presence on the Net anywhere, I'm very interested.

I took my own blog down recently...or rather set it to private...I think. Someone told me today via email that they could see my blog but not comment because it was set to "Friends Only". Hmm...I'm heading over to Live Journal now to see what gives... No one should be able to see the blog but me.

ETA: the blog still exists, but any new posts are only seen by me...and friends. SD, if you want me to friend you I'll need you to post a comment on the blog so I can connect your email to my blog. The blog is at www.hs2o.livejournal.com.

Same goes for my other FV friends. If you want further access to my blog, comment and I'll friend you and then I'll let you know when/if I pick up blogging again.
    Last edited by peanut; 01-20-2012 at 11:13 PM.