2012 Twenty Wishes Challenge - Page 2
Page 2 of 87 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in on this one, too! Looking forward to getting my final wishes established -- peanut, I will be trying to assign a "next action" for my wishes, too, to see if this helps me stay more on task and productive.

I love reading everyone else's wishes because it inspires me with ideas to round out my own 20.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Adding to my list!

11. BE NICE, POSITIVE, and SMILE - which is not always easy I work retail.

12. No Negative self talk

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll join this! I've got so much I want to accomplish this year, but I've got to create a list of 20 that I can reasonably achieve. Be back on January 1st!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay. I think I'm actually ready 4 days early to post my 20 Wishes for 2012. I've chatted with DH to see what he wants to do. So I'm hoping I'll have a better chance of accomplishing them this year.

So here they are...

1. Develop a giving plan and keep a giving journal.
    2. Make something for sale each week.
    3. Piece a quilt top every month.
    4. Sell my crafts.
    5. Improve my spiritual life by practicing spiritual disciplines.
    6. Renovations - utility room, north fence, revamp front yard.
    7. Plan and maintain patio garden with DH.
    8. Improve health by losing 34 lbs.
    9. Improve diet under naturopath's guidance,
    10. Exercise 5x/week
    11. Do affirmations daily.
    12. Lower LDL cholesterol levels, and raise HDL.
    13. Spend one morning a week in nature.
    14. Continue education in fibre arts.
    15. Build a network of creative people.
    16. Acquire teacher training to teach workshops.
    17. Set up a website to sell e-books and products.
    18. Write e-book.
    19. Do a piece of rug hooking every month.
    20. Learn to take better photographs of my craft projects for selling online.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Next action list:

1. Develop a giving plan and keep a giving journal. - Have the journal, just need to remember to write in it every night before bed. I need to decide what my focus is going to be for giving. I think it will be arts and education.
    2. Make something for sale each week. - a friend and I will get together when she comes home from vacation, as we are planning to sell together.
    3. Piece a quilt top every month. - one down, another on the go. Two or three more planned.
    4. Sell my crafts. - First sale in May. Need to book the table in January.
    5. Improve my spiritual life by practicing spiritual disciplines. - Starting with a retreat in early January.
    6. Renovations - utility room, north fence, revamp front yard. - DH and I have already started by de-cluttering the utility room, drawing a plan, and re-arranging the basement to make room for him to work down there. The next move is his. He is drawing up precise plans. Then we will go shopping for supplies.
    7. Plan and maintain patio garden with DH. - We have a few containers, but I would like some nice big ones. Will search online from now till spring for free/cheap planters. Or maybe have DH build some from leftover lumber. Must talk to him.
    8. Improve health by losing 34 lbs. - I am doing this by improving diet and increasing exercise. I am under the care of a naturopath. I've already lost 17 lbs. this year. She wants me to lose 50. In talking it over with my doctor sister we think that 34 is plenty for me to lose.
    9. Improve diet under naturopath's guidance, - I am closely following what she says. I have no margin for error now. My test results are not good. I am keeping a daily health journal.
    10. Exercise 5x/week - I keep a daily health journal and record exercise online. My initial goal is 30 minutes of walking 3x a week.
    11. Do affirmations daily. - First I need to write affirmations! Will check in my books to see what needs to be done.
    12. Lower LDL cholesterol levels, and raise HDL. - Hmm...hopefully the improved diet and increased exercise will take care of this. I see I have several overlapping goals here.
    13. Spend one morning a week in nature. - I love nature. DH doesn't so much. I really miss it living in the city. Even though we live a couple blocks from a city park. A park is not the same as wilderness. But it will do in a pinch. I just seriously need to get out in nature. I feel so rushed and off balance otherwise. So my plan is to spend some time walking down by the creek. At the very least, to visit the local greenhouse filled with tropical and desert plants.
    14. Continue education in fibre arts. - I am registered for an online rug hooking course in February.
    15. Build a network of creative people. - I want to reach out beyond my current friends to a broader network. I'm doing this by connecting up with people who do what I do online.
    16. Acquire teacher training to teach workshops. - Great courses has a DVD series on Master Teaching. Plus I help tutor ESL students in a group setting. I may take a turn at teaching them.
    17. Set up a website to sell e-books and products. - I actually have the manuscripts here I could pull information from for several e-books. However I don't know the first thing about producing an e-book. I do have a download on how to do it though. So I'll be reading through that for ideas too. First up though, would be to get a website up and running. I don't expect to do that till about halfway through the year. So this is not an immediate goal.
    18. Write e-book. - See above
    19. Do a piece of rug hooking every month. - I'm working smaller pieces. First I need to finish my niece's wedding present. Then design some small simply pieces to hook.
    20. Learn to take better photographs of my craft projects for selling online. - I may look for an online photography course, or just work through YouTube videos on how to use my digital camera.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Peanut, if the book you have about producing e books isn't current, and I mean like from last week, I'd dump it and research online. A LOT has changed in the past five years, even in the past two. A print book is most likely badly outdated. Amazon and Barnes & Noble both allow people to make their e books available through their websites. I don't know the details but you can check their websites to learn more.

I finally got our list done. I'm listing 25 goals in hopes of making twenty. So much is weather-dependent and that's impossible to predict. A lot of the focus for us is on home improvement and home organization.

1. Make shade cloth for front windows.
    2. Install stove hood.
    3. Build new deck.
    4. Repair broken lifter cable on camper.
    5. Cut and install kitchen trim.
    6. Paint house skirting and decks.
    7. Paint and rebuild utility trailer.
    8. De-clutter and organize sewing room.
    9. Refinish and install cabinet by side door.
    10. Sand, finish, and install sink shelf/pot rack.
    11. Apply sealer to garage floor.
    12. Fix roof.
    13. Move computer to home office.
    14. Move lilies of the valley behind garage.
    15. Install jacks under back porch.
    16. Finish installing knotty pine in living room.
    17. Sort/organize west side of garage.
    18. Build one garden box.
    19. Finish living room/screen room/front deck wiring.
    20. Work on non-current office tasks one hour each workday.
    21. De-junk and organize guest room.
    22. Finish back porch trim.
    23. Finish installing stove pipe.
    24. Build shelves/cat loft next to fireplace.
    25. Finish two quilts.

So we'll see what gets done. The kitchen trim is first on the hit list. We're starting that tomorrow. The air compressor is already sitting in the living room thawing. Hope it goes well!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks SD. The 'book' I have was downloaded off the Net this year. It assumes you know how to set up a website and do the formatting and everything though, which I don't. One reason I've stalled. I'd like it to have a nice easy-to-read look to it. Not just straight text on a page. It's about children and creativity.

In looking over my goals I realize that's a lot to accomplish this year. I'm going to back off a bit. The list is there. But I think I'll be lucky to make ten of those goals. We'll see... I just have to break it into smaller chunks now...my January 'to do' list coming up...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL. Shame on me for assuming your reference to a 'book' meant a print book!

I've decided I'm going to find myself a little picture frame and frame our 2012 goals. Then I'm putting them on the kitchen table where we'll see them every day at supper. That should keep them in the front of our minds and spark discussions about what to do next. I'm going to leave the glass out of the frame so we can cross things off as we complete them. From past experience, I know if we just have a list floating around aimlessly, it gets lost. Very convenient when we want to forget about doing stuff, but not productive.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yay - another 20 wishes Doubt I'll ever be able to think of a full 20 though. I'm going to include actions in my wishes, too and then break them down even further in the various challenges I've joined on here for this year.

Home
    1. Have a lovely, warm, welcoming, tidy home.
    - Each month, choose one room in the house to decorate/clean/organise.
    - When decorating/re-organising is done, on my first day off work of each month do a 'deep clean'.
    - Daily-dos: open windows in morning and wipe down. Then washing, tidy, dishes, dinner and bathroom wipe.
    - Weekly dos: bathroom clean, vacuum, mop, change bed, wash mats.

2. Welcome a pet into the home.
    - Sort out an appointment with the doctor for SO to see if he is allergic to our potential pets.
    - Bring pet into decorated, organised house.

3. Have a mould-free home.
    - Maintain mould free environment.

Driving
    4. Feel more confident driving alone in the car.
    - Drive once a week by myself. Start small.
    - Drive SO and I home occasionally.

Cooking
    5. Expand baking/meal cookbook of recipes.
    - Try one new meal per week and one new baking recipe per month.

Work and School
    6. To have a job I love even after my contract ends in July.
    - Discuss my options with my manager and be prepared to look for other work well in advance of contact ending.

7. Get 2:1 grades on my certificate course.
    - Do the odd hour here and there on assignments over a longer period of time rather than packing it all into a few days.

Money
    8. Increase personal savings by at least £100 a month.
    - Get a table-top freezer.
    - Packed lunches always for me and three days a week for SO.
    - Grocery shopping online.

9. Go on holiday to Paris in July (Disneyland woo!)
    - Save £100 a month / SO to save £300 from February.

10. Have a clearer plan for the wedding.

Health
    11. Reach and maintain 8 st 3
    - Follow healthy eating rules and document my progress.

12. Take one day at a time. Learn to focus on the moment, stop allowing anxiety to take over and learn to tackle the present.

13. Try to be consciously kind, honest, forgiving and understanding to my SO, my family and my friends.

14. Be more assertive.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the thread Squidge! and everyone else new who has joined.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I need to come up with one more goal! Then I'll be ready to post my list, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thinking...thinking...thinking
    Terry

Jan grocery 129.57/275.00
    Jan coupon 1.00
    YTD grocery
    YTD coupon

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 1-11

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're not off to a good start. First we discovered parts missing from our miter box, which led to tidying up the back porch, so it wasn't all bad. We were able to find one of the parts and fabricate the other. Then we found out the trim we bought for the kitchen isn't going to work. So that will have to wait till we get out of town to a big box home improvement place to buy something different, as there's nowhere in town to buy it. We also discovered a fitting on our air compressor is cracked and leaks air like crazy. It's usable but it runs almost all the time. Not sure if we can replace the part or if we'll have to replace the whole compressor. Another purchase for a big box store, unless the hardware store has the part.

So we gave up on that and went to the list for another project. Most of them require working outside. Not good. Since it's not yet midnight, I'm changing my list!

1. Build access panel below breaker box.
    2. Add dedicated circuit for microwave.
    3. Sand, paint, and install cabinet by side door.
    4. Replace camper lifter cable.
    5. Build deck.
    6. Apply sealer to garage floor.
    7. Cut and install kitchen counters.
    8. Install new kitchen light.
    9. Install kitchen trim.
    10. Finish two quilts in progress.
    11. Work on home office.
    12. Paint skirting and decks.
    13. Install jacks under back porch and living room.
    14. Finish knotty pine in living room.
    15. Clean out west side of garage.
    16. Finish wiring in living room.
    17. Finish trim in back porch.
    18. Build shelves/cat loft by fireplace.
    19. Sew shade cloth for front of house.
    20. Sew shade cloth for back porch.
    21. Install stove hood.
    22. Move computer into office.
    23. Build new shelf/pot rack over kitchen sink.
    24. Purge and organize quest room.
    25. Finish installing stove pipe in living room.

We did get stuff done today though. My husband has been working in his office, and he sanded the shelving for the pot rack and shelf over the sink, plus found the hummingbird cross stitch project I've been looking for for the needle arts challenge. I made a Snuggle and worked on a lapghan and cut out the four window quilts for my office. And hemmed a tablecloth I cut down. So it's not a total loss.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Jan. To Do List

~ Set budget so I know how much I can give.
    ~ Write cheque to my first charity.
    ~ Look through sewing books and decide what to make this month for sale.
    ~ Finish piecing 9-patch quilt top.
    ~ Book table for craft sale.
    ~ Have retreat.
    ~ Do some preliminary planning for the patio garden. Look at books and magazines for ideas. Make a picture file.
    ~ Exercise 30 minutes 5x a week. One of these will be a walk in the park. Preferably with my camera.
    ~ Follow the metabolic syndrome diet given me. Phone Dr. if I need help with it. Record food and review every day to see where I need to adjust things.
    ~ Write 10 affirmations and repeat daily.
    ~ Check for online sites where I can connect with like minded people in the fibre arts.
    ~ Design hooking projects for this month. Two small ones just to keep my hands busy and get me to stretch a bit.
    ~ Read camera manual and try different shots.
    ~ Take better photos of items for sale on Etsy and upload.
    ~ Check my book on creativity and children to see if it is suitable for an e-book.
    ~ Read e-book on creating an e-book.
    Last edited by peanut; 12-31-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We've decided against expanding our garden area this year. We're just not going to have the time and energy, most likely. I'm sorta disappointed. But building a new fence, big new raised beds, gates, hauling and mixing dirt, moving the lilies of the valleys out of the one box we have, and doing all that would need to be done is just too much along with building the new deck. Especially if it's hot like it was last year. It'll help that we won't grow any ground cherries in the garden we built last spring. They took a lot of room that we can use for other things this year.

Hopefully the new garden area will be first on the list for 2013.

Page 2 of 87 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast