2012 Twenty Wishes Challenge - Page 3
Page 3 of 87 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Knowing limits is a good thing SD. Seems I always have to test mine to see how far I can go! We'll find out how much I get done by the end of the month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's not just this one either. I have other challenges, plus all the stuff to do around here that has nothing to do with challenges. I'm always disappointed when we don't meet our goals, so I hope we can get at least 20 of them done this year.

Tomorrow we'll attempt making the access panel under the breaker box, I think. We have to do that before we can put in the dedicated circuit for the microwave next summer. It'll feel great when we can cross the first project off the list.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 2012 Twenty Wishes

I went ahead and added first actions for each goal, too.

1. Get my white bedroom furniture from my childhood room brought to my house. Buy several boxes of trash bags and get together boxes. Evaluate my calendar for at least one Saturday a month I can go to my mother's to help clean the room out so the furniture can be removed.
    2. Organize closets through decluttering/donating and use of storage/organization materials. Assign a box for donations to each closet and purchase bins, shelving, etc. to consolidate and contain what remains.
    3. Save $17-20k. Do the math to evaluate what I can realistically set aside each month based on other goals.
    4. Update my work and personal wardrobe with quality key pieces. Evaluate what I already have for cut, size, color, and fit, and search for advice online.
    5. Have my vintage settee refinished and reupholstered. Call the man who gave me a quote back in the summer and get my furniture piece on his waiting list.
    6. Use a time-saving cooking method weekly (slow cooker, OAMC, homemade mixes, etc). Go to Pinterest, AllRecipes, Food.com, etc for slow cooker meals and OAMC ideas.
    7. Plant a container garden with at least 2 veggies. Decide on veggies and learn what supplies I will need.
    8. Replace remaining interior light fixtures. Make a list of what's needed and look for sales at Home Depot and Tuesday Morning.
    9. Learn to work with yeast dough and make pizza crusts, cinnamon rolls, and so on from scratch. Re-read my bread machine manual and look up videos for how to handle dough on YouTube.
    10. Paint front and side porch floors. Weather-dependent: can research how the cement needs to be prepped, types of paint, and choose a color.
    11. Paint carport stairs. Weather-dependent: can assemble supplies, buy white outdoor paint, and choose a color for the stair treads.
    12. Finish all incomplete craft projects with minimal purchase of new supplies. Make a list of all UFO projects and their needs, and categorize by labor involved and if weather-dependent.
    13. Decide upon and complete one landscaping project. Talk with DH re: having trees trimmed, filling in holes, planting grass seed, possibly planting new bushes.
    14. Learn to use a sewing machine. Look at community college enrichment class schedule and also look for my county's extension office contact info.
    15. Drop 2 sizes through consistent exercise and healthy eating. Get back to walking at the track -- work up to 3 miles in under an hour with walk weights; cut out sweets and fatty snacks.
    16. Have the VHS home movies of my childhood transferred to DVD. Get the movies from my great-aunt, find out who offers that service in my town, and price it.
    17. Read at least 2 books a month (hard copy or Kindle). Go to Amazon's free Kindle book section and download several I like so that I have some on hand.
    18. Stay current on my work-related paperwork and documentation. Work towards being more productive at work and build a new habit of taking 30-60 minutes each day after work to get something done.
    19. Try one new recipe a month. Google for recipes for things we actually eat -- preferably healthy main dishes or baked goods to go with goals 15 and ease of preparation for goal 6.
    20. Take supplements daily for my health concerns. Replace vitamins and supplements I've run out of, research new ones to try, and set out a week's worth at a time to idiot-proof it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok, I think I have my list!

1. Finally (after re-doing most of the house) get our master bedroom completed! We have the paint color picked and the plans for what we want to do, just need to help dh find the time to help me get it started and completed!
    2. Learn to sew and crochet.
    3. I want to shout "we're debt free" on 12/12/12! The plan is set, budget is ready, now all we have to do is stick to it and make it happen!
    4. Push myself to do 1 thing each month that is out of my comfort zone! I'm very much an introvert and I would love to break out of that just a little bit!
    5. Do some volunteer work at any of the different charities in my area.
    6. Go to the gym atleast 5 mornings a week!
    7. Get office/library room set up.
    8. Get garden planned, order seeds!
    9. Plan 1 day each month to get away from the house and do something fun with the family. Doesn't mean we will spend $$$, we can find tons of things to do that don't cost anything!
    10. Go back to work. I haven't had a paying job in 23 years and now that our youngest is 18 and since we are trying to pay off debt this would probably be a great time to get back to work!
    11. Take our dog for a walk each evening with dh, gives us time to catch up on the day and spend a little time together.
    12. Spend less time on the computer!
    13. Try one new meal each week (like fish which is something I don't like, mostly because I don't know how to cook it),
    14. Be better prepared for b-days and Christmas.
    15. Pick and plant a few fruit trees in the backyard.
    16. Shop locally, support our local farmers/growers.
    17. Take a class at our local Community College, not sure what yet but I'd like to do something!
    18. Learn to speak Italian.
    19. Work on Family Tree.
    20. Spend more time with friends and family.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm down one already!

1. Make access panel under breaker box.

I figured that would be fast and easy, and it was. So we're off and running.

I just love updating my siggy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

TeeHee SD! So do I! I have to make a new siggy for 2012 yet. Hmmm...maybe that should be on my 'to do' list too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's my wishes/goals for this year, in no particular order. Most of them are to related to getting myself and my house in shape:

1. walk 500 miles in 2012 (12 miles per week)
    2. do some kind of strength training 2 times / week
    3. eat 100% vegetarian and gradually cut out dairy products
    4. lose 25 pounds
    5. try 12 or more new recipes
    6. read 12 or more books
    7. renovate main bathroom
    8. redo back entry floor, and paint walls and woodwork
    9. replace kitchen floor
    10. finish repairing and painting the garage
    11. work on a sewing, craft or other fun project every month
    12. go on at least one short trip this summer or early fall
    13. save money for longer trips
    14. eliminate wasteful spending
    15. get rid of all clutter
    16. write in journal every day
    17. refinish 2 pieces of furniture
    18. get bicycle repaired and use it
    19. get all the small projects done to get house ready to sell next year
    20. try to grow herbs, lettuce and chard; try again with tomatoes

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Been working on my list. If I stay focused I should be able to knock them all off of the list.

1- clean and liquid gold all kitchen cabinet doors (34)
    2- make AND mail Christmas cards
    3- get a haircut, it's been 3 maybe even 4 years
    4- buy at least 1 Christmas gift a month
    5- clean/organize linen closet
    6- plant 2 fruit trees
    7- learn to make 3 things from scratch that normally buy prepared
    8- purge clothes from dresser
    9- make 4 aprons
    10- when out eating pick up someones check at least 3x
    11- learn to make salsa
    12- read To Kill A Mockingbird
    13- make 2 recipe scrapbooks
    14- purge cooking magazines
    15- replace all valances-6
    16- tame kitchen freezer
    17- see one play at community theatre
    18- phase out paper napkins
    19- use items that I have been saving for 'one of these days'
    20- watch all of the Ma and Pa Kettle movies
    Terry

Jan grocery 129.57/275.00
    Jan coupon 1.00
    YTD grocery
    YTD coupon

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 1-11

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One wish

I want to not want.
    Last edited by imagine; 01-01-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What I did the last 24 hours...

1. Develop a giving plan and keep a giving journal. - know who's getting money this month. Just waiting for the mid-month paycheck to send them money.
    2. Make something for sale each week.- Browsed some sewing books for ideas last evening. I've stickied some stuff I want to make for myself. Which is great. If it doesn't sell, I get to keep it!
    3. Piece a quilt top every month. - finished my Jan. quilt top today.
    5. Improve my spiritual life by practicing spiritual disciplines. - I'm going to re-read Ortberg's "The Life You've Always Wanted" and work from it.
    7. Plan and maintain patio garden with DH. - Browsed images of patio gardens online last evening. I want a vegetable patio garden. I'm going to see what's available for free or secondhand locally for containers.
    8. Improve health by losing 34 lbs. - weighed in this morning at 171 lbs.
    9. Improve diet under naturopath's guidance, - I need to phone and talk to her about the amount of protein recommended. It's HUGE!
    10. Exercise 5x/week - Started with a 30 min. walk today.
    13. Spend one morning a week in nature. - Actually spent 30 minutes outside by the creek. DH commented we should have taken the camera. We should have...next time I'll be more organized.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

JANUARY TO-DO LIST

1.Declutter the house. January: sort through one box in the storage room and deal with the contents. Clean out the kitchen cabinets.

2.Finish the house. DH & DS have agreed to work on the kitchen cabinets in January. This involves re-sanding, maybe so re-staining, polyurethaning and buffing. Then the door and drawer handles will be put on. I hope this happens!

3.Become fairly fluent in Spanish. Find my Spanish Bible; listen to audio of Spanish Bible as I read mine. Do Lessons 16-18 of Magic Key to Spanish

4.Study the Bible. DH and I have 5-part Bible study that we are going to go through together.

5.Weed and mulch all my flower beds
    6.Reclaim my woodland garden
    These two will have to wait until warmer weather.

7.Get all the family heirlooms labeled and stored safely. Get the heirlooms out of storage. Have Mom ID them and tell me everything she knows about each item. Write it down and label each item. Repack and store in a safe place.

8.Work on the Seven Steps of preparedness on Totally Ready website. January Goals: (1)purge expired medicines and first aid items. Make a list of items needed. Buy items as money becomes available. (2) make 3 copies of birth certificates and driver's licenses; put 1 copy in safe deposit box, 1 copy in file cabinet and 1 copy in out of state contact envelope.

9. Make a garden notebook with all the information I've collected. Collect and categorize the information. Decide how I want to organize it in the binder notebook.

10.Complete the mother and father memory books. I don't know why this is so difficult for me! I guess because I'm a private person and they ask nosy questions? I need to do those difficult parts and get it over with.

11. Improve Singing Voice. DS is currently recording DD2 and I singing hymns as he accompanies us on his classical guitar. This is for my mother. She is legally blind and though she loves to sing, she can no longer read the words. We thought this would help her re-learn the words and she could sing along with it. We have 13 songs done. Today we did 2 with both DDs as DD1 was here for a funeral yesterday.

12. Improve piano playing. I've been researching online piano courses on playing by ear. That's going to be my main focus this winter. January Goal: Memorize (with brain and fingers!) the seven major chords and be able to move smoothly from chord to chord. Practice scales in each chord.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

JANUARY TO-DO LIST CONTINUED

13. Study history. I am studying Medieval History through a free online course from Sam Houston St U. IN January I should cover (1) The Transformation of the Ancient World, (2) The Migration of Peoples, 93) The Formation of Western Christendom, (4)The Frankish Kingdom and the Carolingian Empire. I plan to do the required reading and answer the essay questions

14. organize genealogy information. See if my genealogy program will work on my current computer. If so install it. Work on Family Group Sheets.
    15. knit something useful. Probably not in January
    16. do household inventory. Video contents of kitchen and cabinets when I get them all organized. Write down serial numbers of all kitchen appliances

17. make portable bird blind
    18. organize my wardrobe
    19. write. I started a credit course in creative writing in December through the local community college. It will end February 3. I'm having fun with it. It's all online.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

2. Make something for sale each week. - Decided to use the rest of the jelly roll of fabric by making an apron. I just finished half of it for the quilt top.

7. Plan and maintain patio garden with DH. -I spent this evening looking over two good books I have on gardening: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Frugal-Gardener-Catriona-Tudor-Erler/dp/0875968015/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325474248&sr=1-2"]Amazon.com: The Frugal Gardener (9780875968018): Catriona Tudor Erler: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@6194Z01G7WL[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Edible-Container-Garden-Michael-Guerra/dp/1856752208/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325474275&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Edible Container Garden (9781856752206): Michael Guerra: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51QHAFAARNL[/ame]
    Made a list of things to do.

Spent time cleaning up gardening tools tonight too.

Mentioned the patio garden to DH. He and I are agreed that planting edibles is the way to go. He's not sure what he wants to do with the front yard, but he wants to get rid of the weeds. That could be a big job. He's not sure if he wants to plant it or just put something like gravel on it. It's very shady and on a hill, so quite dry in our climate. Think: baked clay, and you've got the idea!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Everyone is doing great and it is amazing how many of my goals are similiar to some of yours.

1. Finish my Mom's quilt I started
    2. Buy and fill 48 totes this year and donate, toss, give away or sell the items I do not want to keep.
    3. Organize, make an inventory list and maintain stockpile
    4. Read 12 books this year....one per month.
    5. Work through whole stash of yarn.
    6. Work through and use whole stash of fabric.
    7. Make/build a retreat/entertainment area outside this summer.
    8. Exercise 7 times per week.
    9. Lose 12 pounds
    10. Improve and maintain my spiritual health by reading through the bible again this year.
    11. Organize paperwork from last three years.
    12. Follow new diet plan outlined by dietician for optimum health.
    13. Quit smoking.
    14. Join or attend some type of craft group this year.
    15. Start vegtable seeds indoors and transplant to garden.
    16. Find, complile and organize all photographs
    17. Buy or make at least one Christmas gift per month.
    18. Meditate at least 3 times per week
    19. Take photographs 3 times per week to increase photography skills and portfolio
    20. Have a fully funded BEF and do not touch it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hey, DC, think of the money you'd have for your outdoor living area if you could save the cigarette money instead of burning it up! You go!

Page 3 of 87 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast