2012 Twenty Wishes Challenge - Page 51
Page 51 of 87 FirstFirst ... 414849505152535461 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've been working on my rug hooking portfolio this morning. Had DH tutor a young Korean father. He did really well for his first time tutoring. He realized real quick that the word list I'd given them was too easy for the man. So he went straight to a practice dialogue and then into showing him photos from our various vacations! That led to all kinds of discussions...including DH telling him I was descended from pirates (actually privateers), and the Korean wanting to know where the treasure was! Don't I wish!

I think I'll spend this afternoon rug hooking. Was going to take the boarder out to supper, but don't know if I can afford it. I think I'll find something else to do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like your husband enjoyed the tutoring session. That's really nice of you two to help out new people trying to find their way in a new country. Are Korean immigrants common there? What brings them to your area?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes SD, Koreans immigrants are common here. We have a nearby university and a technical institute both offering ESL classes to immigrants. Most are Asian, Phillipino, or from the Middle East. The guys from the Middle East are usually here for short term training. Then they go back to Saudi Arabia or wherever. But the Asians are usually wanting to stay here. They come with a student visa first and then temporary work visas and then they apply for actual immigrant status...usually after finishing university.

This man is a bit different. He's an IT university graduate (degree in "information processing"). We've had an influx of Korean families for some reason. I think the government has programs to encourage them to come settle in various parts of the country. A lot of them choose our city because it's small and they feel more comfortable learning English and getting around here.

The situation in Canada is that our population is declining UNLESS we accept immigrants. Immigrants cause us to be a nation of growth. It also puts a lot of stress on Canada as a nation. Lots of cultures mixing is great in theory, but difficult in practice. We see a fair amount of prejudice and discrimination. Still, some people do bend over backwards trying to help immigrants. Problem is, there are so many of them the systems for helping them are back logged 6 months to 2 years! Such is the case with English language lessons/tutoring.

On my 20 Wishes front...I'm busy dyeing fibre for more rug hooking. Can't get it dark enough so I'm running it through the washing machine twice.

My skein of yarn I spun yesterday is almost dry! I want to take a photo of it and the other skein side by side to send to the lady who blended the fibre for me. Lovely looking stuff thanks to her blending skills.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Finished dyeing a washing machine full of purple cloth and yarn. Ruined the yarn... From now on they get the stove top treatment. I am NOT a fan of washing machine dyeing anymore.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been battling that last drawer for three hours now. It should have taken about 45 minutes, tops. I'm ready to declare this the worst carpentry job I've ever done. I cut myself on a piece of the hardware so now I'm just waiting for the bleeding to stop. I think I'm almost done though. I'm so sick of this project! But it should be over soon and then I can clean up the trailer, which will make me happier.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Today I'm taking another break. Things that need doing here that aren't on my 20 Wishes list.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay, back at it today. I think I'll do some rug hooking. Must finish "Quinzhee" and get onto my fall/winter rugs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've been working on a website for myself the last couple days, bit by bit. Don't know if I'll use that one or if I'll have my friends create one for me in the end. Will show them what I have and ask what they want to do. I'm open to suggestions still. I'm just bumbling along in this at the moment.

Had a friend ask for a recipe from my GF, SF, DF cookbook. I told her she could have one, but not pass it on. She wrote down two. So I offered her a chance of co-authorship (she's an excellent cook), in the hopes of keeping things quiet for awhile. We'll see. She'd be a good co-author, if she can keep her mouth shut. I added a whack of new recipes to try this week. Made up a menu plan, and went grocery shopping for ingredients last evening.

Took photos of our meal last night - cookbook recipes again. Cookbook is up to 64 pages without any photos added. I have lots of photos to add.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Tried a new recipe for supper last evening. It was great! A vegetarian wrap tried with wrap for DH and the boarder, and without for me. I didn't have time to make my tortillas before supper. As it was it was a late supper.

Today's plans:

~ weekly Bible study
    ~ laundry
    ~ make another new recipe
    ~ start slicing cucs for B&B pickles. The boarder loves them!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay, back to my original 20 Wishes list...

2. Make something for sale each week. - will be working on a hooked rug

5. Improve my spiritual life through monthly retreats, daily prayer time and weekly Bible study. - will be doing my weekly Bible study.

6. Renovations - utility room, north fence, revamp front yard. - Still haven't heard from the fence man. This is DH's department. I should learn. Never put HIS goals on MY 20 Wishes list!

10. Exercise 5x/week - Today was a day of rest. Will walk some tomorrow.

11. Do affirmations daily. - hmm...need to find those again.

12. Keep a balanced budget for my allowance. - Doing this but had an interesting conversation with DH the other day. Someone we know was in a relationship and the other person died, leaving her as executor and next of kin, and responsible for a whole whack of debts she had no idea he had! DH was concerned I did not have enough money to cover my CC bills. Hmm...I've NEVER gone into CC debt in my life. Why the concern now? Apparently he is upset he cannot see what is on my CC statement (it's the way the bank set up our accounts online) or in my bank account. I think there's a bit of a control issue there. I reassured him I have more than enough to cover my CC. I record differently than he does (as soon as I use the CC) so I am never overdrawn.

13. Spend one morning a week in nature. - I spent enough time in nature last weekend to last me awhile.

14. Continue fibre arts education. Focus on rug hooking. - I currently am in a course online for scrap quilting. Taking another online course this month on Photoshop Elements. And then in November I'll be taking an online rug hooking course on style.

17. Set up a website to sell e-books and products. - working on setting up a website right now. Will need help. But I am typing copy and trying to set up the basics myself.

18. Write e-book. - Adding more recipes to my GF, DF, SF Cookbook, trying them, and taking photos of the food.

19. Do a piece of rug hooking every month. - Working on a rug now.

20. Learn to take better photographs of my craft projects for selling online. - Working on this too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yesterday:

~ Worked on rug yesterday.
    ~ Did weekly Bible study. Actually finished the book.
    ~ DH heard from fence man. He is delaying our fence. He has two more to do ahead of ours. Hmm...hope he gets it in before the snow flies.
    ~ Finished watching the scrap quilting course. I've already done 3/4 of the content. The rest of the content does not really interest me. Might do one project in a smaller version. Downloaded another free course called "Know Your Wool" and watched that. Have a third free course on "Quilt Backings" to watch this week. I am enjoying the courses, but there is little new to me in them.
    ~ Fine tuning my website. Need to work on the difference between 'About' and 'Bio'.
    ~ Chatting folks up here about photographing crafts (thanks SD. )

Today:

~ harvesting celery and herbs from the patio garden.
    ~ rug hooking.
    ~ watching class on quilt backings.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm supposed to be doing something useful, but I'm too ticked off about the still-broken AC and the company's apparent lack of interest in fixing it to be able to concentrate on anything worthwhile.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Don't blame you SD. I'd be ticked too.

I finished everything on my list. Think I might do some baking today. The boarder's eyes lit up when I mentioned chocolate cake last night.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our power company tech just left (after a tour of our new trailer and a half-hour chat about it ). They came out for free, which was nice. As I expected, and so did they, there was nothing wrong with their equipment. My husband called the AC company and got the same run-around I did, so we'll see what happens. I think we're just out the money. I think they did fix the original problem, but obviously something else is wrong now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ugh! Don't you hate that?! It's like a domino effect sometimes...one thing trips another trips another...and on we go until it becomes obvious it would have been cheaper to just chuck the entire thing to start with and start new from scratch. Can you tell I've been this route before?

On a cheerier front, I did do some baking today, but not chocolate cake. I made quinoa and teff muffins. They taste pretty good too. Also made a new-to-me Tuna Alfredo (GF, DF, SF). It tasted a lot better than expected!

On a not so cheery front, I finally phoned DSIS#3 and told her we would not be going to South Korea to watch dniece compete in the Special Olympics this winter. We just can't justify the cost right now. We have too many expenses before DH retires to shell out $10000 for a trip to South Korea for 2 or 3 weeks. I had a hard time not breaking up over that. I know so many Koreans. I'd love to visit South Korea...in a heartbeat. But the money just isn't there...even figuring in the inheritance. It's all locked up in income producing funds right now. Pulling on them would cost me money. Besides, it's there for a reason...I need the extra income due to DH not wanting to support my hobbies, and will for the foreseeable future. The one thing more important than South Korea is my mental health, and my hobbies sustain that for me. I am not giving them up for a trip to South Korea.

Page 51 of 87 FirstFirst ... 414849505152535461 ... LastLast