Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post

Planned for the week...

~ Ladies Fellowship at church
    ~ Prayers of the People at church
    ~ Lunch with two friends on two separate days - both cancelled out
    ~ Tutoring session with someone
    ~ Helping a lady unpack and hang pictures after her move...and taking the boxes to another friend who is moving
    ~ Finish rug hooking "Quinzhee"
    ~ Rip out that quilt border if it kills me!
    ~ Work on Craftsy classes
    ~ Pick up some foam core as a background to rug photos
    ~ Take photos of food for my cookbook
    ~ Clean drawers and cupboards and line with contact paper
    ~ Canning - crabapples (juice, sauce, jelly), salsa, green tomato relish
    I was busy today and am tired. Hi ho hi ho it's off to bed I go... 'night all!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've been majorly side tracked today with a huge double batch of salsa on the make! I have about 12 pounds of onions to chop and 6 heads of garlic to peel... I may be working on this tomorrow too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Definitely working on salsa again today. Six more pints ready for processing right now. Six processing.

Also had someone show up unexpectedly for tutoring. I thought I'd told him DH wasn't available this week, but apparently not. So I took the tutoring session today. He needs some serious professional tutoring though. Not what I can give him.

Don't know what I'm up to this afternoon. A friend is picking me up and taking me on a mystery trip. Will find out! Probably shopping. I'm running out of money to do things, so I better hold back a bit. I want some money to spend next week too. Plus I need to save up for a tablet for my Mac, if I want to go that route.

Re: the Mac tablet. I'm looking at Wacom's Create. Anyone with any experience with tablets? I want something I can sketch rug designs on, try colour schemes, and, eventually, upload patterns to the Net for sale. Not sure it will work for the latter. No one I know has that niche market though, so I thought it might be worth trying.

I am hoping I can get to rug hooking this evening. We'll see.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I dried a load of apples yesterday. Didn't get much else done though.

If it's not pouring rain like yesterday, we should be able to get something done on the deck later. We need the rain badly, so can't complain when it comes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post

Planned for the week...

~ Ladies Fellowship at church
    ~ Prayers of the People at church
    ~ Lunch with two friends on two separate days
    ~ Tutoring session with someone
    ~ Helping a lady unpack and hang pictures after her move...and taking the boxes to another friend who is moving - she had a Red Hat convention to go to, so this didn't happen.
    ~ Finish rug hooking "Quinzhee"
    ~ Rip out that quilt border if it kills me!
    ~ Work on Craftsy classes
    ~ Pick up some foam core as a background to rug photos
    ~ Take photos of food for my cookbook
    ~ Clean drawers and cupboards and line with contact paper
    ~ Canning - crabapples (juice, sauce, jelly), salsa, green tomato relish
    The mystery trip was a shopping trip. I picked up some sketchbooks 25% off, and the foam core to photograph rugs against this winter. Also picked up a book on making fabric bowls for 75% off, and picked up the interfacing for them 20% off. Also a pair of thread snips 50% off. It was a good day for shopping! All that in total cost less than $50.

My friend gave me some deer pepperoni (yum!), some fish from her freezer for chowder, and some borscht (soup) for supper. Yum! I think I did very well today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, we got one of the two boards that needed to be notched cut and installed. I mis-cut the second one, so will have to wait till we get a replacement. But all the tricky angle cuts on the front corner are done now, so that's a relief.

Saturday we're going to pick up enough boards to finish off about half the decking and try to get those installed. Then Sunday if we get that done, we should be able to finally move the grill out of the way and THEN we can work on demo-ing the old 6x8 section of the deck. Once that's done there'll be more putzing with notching stuff and that kind of thing, which will slow us down again. But we're making progress, finally.

I think we're going to buy a couple new drills. Ace Hardware is having a sale and I think they're $100 off. Yea, new power tools!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You and power tools are like me and my crafting supplies and equipment! Too bad about the botched notching job. But you ARE making progress yes? I figure the tougher a job is, the smaller steps I need to break it down into. I try to just focus on the one thing that needs to get done RIGHT this minute. Otherwise I get overwhelmed with the big picture.

Right now I'm trying not to be overwhelmed. DH is at a conference out of country and the fence contractor phones to say he's showing up tomorrow to dig fence post holes. And, gee, he can't remember any conversation about the neighbor's shed being over the property line on our property. Hmm...the neighbor says 'just have them lift it up and move it'. One small problem. It's held down by a big square bolt. Yes, you got it. They BOLTED the shed to something very firm underneath. I'm hoping it's brick and not concrete. In the spring when we talked and tried to move the shed, there was no one with a wrench big enough or strong enough to move that bolt. There was talk of needing a special tool for the job. Hmm...

At any rate, I'm phoning/emailing DH long distance to try and figure out what the plan was with this contractor. And trying not to be suspicious that he waited to do this until DH was out of town. And preferably to get DH to phone the fence guy and talk to him tonight. JUST what he needs while at a conference. Course we wouldn't have this issue if he'd communicate with me on occasion so I knew what was going on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope you will be billing the neighbor for the cost of moving the shed. The neighbor should have taken care of that already. It's his fault it needs to be done, and his responsibility to do it.

Try a pipe wrench on the bolt. We use those when we have to do stuff with trailer hitch balls, and the nuts on those are huge, like two inches across. The bolt could also be cut off, maybe.

When is your husband coming home? Maybe the fence contractor can work around the space where the shed is until he's back. But I'd be all over that neighbor for not having the shed moved already. That is NOT your problem to deal with!

I do love me some good power tools! But I think we talked ourselves out of the new drills. Still, if I have to go to the hardware store for something and I see and touch them, they'd probably jump into my hands and then of course I would not be able to leave them there all alone and unloved.

Pics of our progress. It doesn't look like much but it's taken a while to get there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

About the shed...yeah, but you see, I was not in on the discussions. The neighbor is coming from an Arabian background and only wanted to deal with DH. DH agreed to have the contractor move the shed. The contractor agreed to do it, according to DH. It is not on the work order. I smell trouble already. It may be a short work day for the fence people. First order of business will be moving the shed... DH, says he can't remember any bolt holding the shed in place. So maybe the neighbor did deal with that already.

Because of the weird nature of the fence, we are splitting the cost in half for everything, including shed removal. We're extending the fence (hence the shed removal), and the neighbor is replacing a 6' adjoining gate with a solid panel, so he no longer has access to our yard. We end out paying more than we should in the end, but DH seems fine with that. Who am I to argue? I won't be listened to anyways. But I sure don't want to hear any complaints about how I waste money!!!

Progress is looking good on your deck SD! Slow but steady wins the race!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay. Shed moved. Contractor will enter it on a separate line on the bill. DH and neighbor can hash it out. Contractor also had to remove the back 6' length of fence to move the shed. So that will be an additional charge. Too many trees and buildings in too cramped a space. Remainder of the old fence torn down. No lumber reusable. It's all rotten. they're out there trying to dig holes with an auger. A real bear with that huge elm in the fence line. Ah well. their problem, not mine.

I managed to get some rug hooking done, for the first time this week! So much for a week of uninterrupted rug hooking!

Also finished my short row sampler for my Craftsy knitting course.

Waiting for a webinar to be uploaded from my Photo Shop Elements course. I want to view that.

Also waiting for company to arrive, and for boarder to come home so we can go out tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like things are under control with the shed and fence project.

It's pouring rain here, so we couldn't get the lumber.

Worse yet, our vet is having a customer appreciation concert tonight. His reggae band has reunited just for the event. We really wanted to go, but it's in the forties and pouring rain. So disappointed.

Sure hope we can get the lumber tomorrow morning. Sunday is supposed to be nice and we don't want to be sitting here wasting a good day because we couldn't get our lumber.

We did end up buying the new drills. Baby DeWalts! They're only six inches long and they're lighted on the front, so should be perfect for getting into tiny, dark spaces. They're so cute!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Too bad SD. Yes, the fence thing is under control. This guy seems to know what he's doing.

Had a great time at the art opening. Only stayed for half an hour though. Spent half of that talking to the artist. She has some interesting work there. She weaves, but paints the warp first, then weaves it and embroiders it. Really neat looking artwork.

Came home to watch a movie. Company came back from a Medieval Feast and we had a great chat about all things Medieval. Which resulted in us showing the boarder one of DD's medieval dresses. Looks like it will fit the boarder. Left it with the boarder to try on. If it fits we'll hold a Medieval Feast sometime this winter so she has a chance to wear it.

Tomorrow I'm off to the Farmer's Market, then an online game of SCRABBLE with a relative who will probably beat me to a pulp, and then maybe some jam and jelly making. We'll see...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're sitting here waiting for the lumber yard to open. And it's still raining. I think we're just going to tarp the inside of the van and go get the stuff anyway. For some reason my husband doesn't want to use the truck. Sure hope we can get something done on this project this weekend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was up early with company and we went to the Farmer's Market. Picked up some peaches and plums to make jam. The last of the peach jam is currently processing on the stove. I'm hoping to make the plum jam this afternoon. We'll see. I need about 50 cups of jam I figure, to get through the year. So far I have 15. Hmm...I have a ways to go!

Company offered to bring me some frozen raspberries next time they come. I can mix them with rhubarb maybe and get some jam that way...hmm... And I still have 4 gallons of frozen crabapples in the freezer, and a gallon of saskatoons. Should be able to get some jam/jelly out of them.

Also bought more pickling cucumbers to make sugar free pickles for me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, we made our goal for today and only got rained on a little bit off and on. LOVE my new drills! And it was really handy not have to keep switching bits, since we needed four different ones over the course of the day.

I bought a new, different kind of blade for our jigsaw too, which worked much better. Once again, I learned the same old lesson about cheap tools. I had nothing but trouble with the cheap blades we got at Harbor Freight, and the expensive ones from Ace Hardware I got today worked like a charm.

So far, things are going pretty well.

Tomorrow, we need to finish off the brace underneath and start the demolition on the old section. Hope the forecast is right because it's supposed to be a nice day tomorrow.