2012 Twenty Wishes Challenge - Page 61
Page 61 of 87 FirstFirst ... 11515859606162636471 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You do have to mix it up sometimes to keep from getting bored.

No TW for me again. Still working on cleaning up the house from the neglect of the past few weeks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hooking more rug today...and thrift store shopping...and Farmer's market shopping.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sure wish we had a farmers market.

No TW for me again. We hauled trash yesterday finally. It's been needing to be done since about May, but either we didn't have time or the weather wasn't cooperating, so it's been sitting there. We took out two loads of household trash, stuff I've de-cluttered, and recycle stuff. It's a relief to have that done, but now my back hurts from moving the old freezer. But I don't care because I'm happy it's not busy being an eyesore in the yard anymore.

At the dump, the person weighing our stuff mentioned people are using old freezers for gardens so they don't have to bend over. What a great idea! I almost dragged ours back home again! NOT! But I did pick up a small double stainless steel sink and have decided to start collecting those to use as table gardens. I already have three or four. I'll just throw together some stands for them once I get organized better. Table gardens are so much easier on the back.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hope your back is better soon SD. I'm rug hooking today too. I have a bunch of little star rugs I'd like completely finished by the end of the month. So far I have 2 1/2 done. There are 9 in all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Plans for today...

~ grocery shopping
    ~ shoe shopping
    ~ rug hooking
    ~ company arrives tonight for supper

Gotta get up and at it. Want to put a big stew on for supper in the crock-pot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Probably no wishes for me again today, but at least I made one of my doggy's wishes come true and made up an experimental treat recipe using turkey sausage and eggs with wheat flour. It's a hit! Serious begging going on. I also made up a batch of dog biscuits from a recipe I've used for years, so she'll be set for treats for a while.

Guess I better go write the new recipe down before I forget what I put in it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Got all the shopping done this morning. Now for an afternoon of rug hooking and, I think, pie making.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Decided against pies. Made a Blueberry Banana Cake instead...well, it's kind of an experiment for the cookbook. I just added blueberries and walnuts to the banana loaf. We'll see how it turns out. Will have that with ice-cream or I'll make a non GF, DF, SF caramel sauce for everyone else and I'll just eat it plain.

All that's left is a little rug hooking...and maybe a nap. I hurt my back today carrying in groceries. Bad timing. DH is out with a bad knee. Le sigh. Guess I better pull out my back machine again and see if that helps any.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My back still has not recovered either. Thank goodness for our tilt-bed utility trailer though. It would have been a lot worse if I had to lift the freezer off the trailer when we trashed that Saturday. Or worse, lift it onto the trailer.

I guess I did do something for the TW list today. I disassembled the face of the new stove and installed the fake logs that go in it, plus put down the little fuzzy stuff that makes little cute flames in the front of the firebox. Now we don't have to pay the gas guy to figure out how to open up the firebox and place everything. All they should have to do is light the pilot light once it's all hooked up. My husband dug the trench outside for the gas line to be buried in, so everything is ready to go. Can't wait to see it burning!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Got a bit of rug hooking in, but it was bothering my back. I think I have a muscle spasm. Ah well. Tonight I'll give myself a good round on the back machine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The new heating stove is IN! Yea! And it only took nine years.

The bill was huge, but I think in the long run we'll save money. We're in the living room more than anywhere, so I think we'll be able to turn the main furnace down and not heat so much of the house as warmly.

Wow, I can't believe it! It's just beautiful.

Now for the funny part. I've been thinking all along installing the stove was on the TW list. But I went, with red pen in hand, to cross it off the list and what did I find? Only the stove pipe installation is on the list! We did that last spring! So I was ROFL at myself again. I might claim it anyway, even though we didn't do the work ourselves.

I put the front back on and it really is gorgeous. Unfortunately it's cast iron and because of the weird angles I had to lift that thing in, my back is really torn up now. Oh, well, I'll be taking it easy the rest of the week, for sure.

The gas guy told me thermostats don't need to be hooked up to power, so I'll be able to install that right away, which will save some money too. This stove really kicks out the heat! It's going to be great to finally have heat in this area.

Here's a pic. I forgot to put the little dragon steamer on the top for the pic. Some other time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It looks gorgeous SD! You're starting to motor on some of your 20 Wishes. I vote for resting the back too. I babied mine all yesterday and when I got up this morning my pain was gone. Hopefully all yours needs is a little rest.

So...in going over my 20 Wishes list I notice there are five and two one half wishes I am consistently avoiding or have put aside. I am going to reassess whether I really want to keep them on the list or what.

3. Piece a quilt top every month. - I have had no time for this.

5. Improve my spiritual life through monthly retreats, daily prayer time and weekly Bible study. - this is a stickler. Weekly has been a problem. Too many interruptions. Monthly has been non-existent. I'm thinking it was an unrealistic goal to set aside an entire day once a month. Often those retreats are so successful they take about six months to work through everything that comes out of them. So I think next year I will make it a twice a year event.

But the weekly I should be able to do. It's only 1 hour of study. I think part of it is not finding sufficiently stimulating material to study. I am going to look around a bit more and see what I can find.

6. Renovations - revamp front yard - This is the half goal, or rather 1/3. DH and I decided to do this next spring.

10. Exercise 5x/week - I hate exercise...period. That's why I'm not doing this. It hurts and I'm always out of breath, and it's plain dangerous around here...or expensive to go to a gym. I won't spend the money on the gym.

13. Spend one morning a week in nature. - Too busy. Which is a cop out excuse. Partly I am too tired and partly DH is taking the car more to work. In order to be around nature here I have to drive out of the city about 30 minutes away, go for a walk, and then come back. Takes a whole morning or afternoon. So I decided being in the backyard was being "in nature". Didn't do that as often as I'd hoped because we had a lot of rain/overcast/cold days this summer.

I think I will modify this goal too.

17. Set up a website to sell e-books and products. - A friend is getting his certification in website design. He has offered a cut deal, BUT I have to wait for him to graduate to do this. He should graduate next year some time. I think this is better timing as I do not have sufficient inventory built up yet to sell anything.

18. Write e-book. - writing a cookbook takes more time and effort than I thought. Writing any book takes more time and effort. I am busy tutoring and rug hooking these days.

~~~~~~

I'm going to go away and think about these and see what and if I want to do anything about these.
    Last edited by peanut; 10-23-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay, decided to get my GF, DF, SF cookbook done. It won't be an e-book. I am going to take it someplace and have it printed. Then sell it at the craft sales I go to. That's the plan anyway. I have photos of the food, but don't know if I'll include them in the cookbook or not. Colour costs money. I've whacked it into 96 5x7" pages. I'm thinking soft cover, coil binding.

SD, you know something about publishing. Does this make sense to do it this way?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know a lot about publishing. I did edit a cookbook a few years ago though. My publisher paid all the bills but he pretty much gave me free rein and I chose a cookbook publisher. I can't recall the name of them now. It was pretty simple. They provided templates and I selected which one I wanted, plus one of the fonts they provided. The basic selections were included in the base price, and anything we wanted to upgrade was an upcharge. I think the only additional option we selected was a color cover. Otherwise, we used their stock graphics and fonts to avoid the extra charges and printed in black ink on white pages. Cost per book was based on how many copies were ordered.

Wish I could remember more details, like who the publisher was. They were simple and easy to work with and good about answering questions.

If you want to register the copyright, you would have to do that through the proper government agency in Canada. I'm not familiar with Canadian copyright laws, so can't be of any help there. I'm sure there would be a fee for that, too.

I finally shut off the new stove. I turned the main furnace down to sixty this morning and it hasn't run all day. It's still hotter'n blazes in here!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks SD. How's the heat in the house today?

I got the book into publishable format. Now all I need is the money to publish it! Ah well...if I have to I'll run it off on a copy machine. Hold it...I need a table of contents and index yet.

Busy cutting wool for rug hooking this morning. Off to a friend's to do some rug hooking this afternoon.

Looked for some adult modern dance classes for exercise. I've always wanted to take dance classes, but DH doesn't want to go with me. So I'm thinking if I did something like line dancing (less expensive than belly dancing) I might have encouragement to get in shape, plus be able to knock off a wish from my original 20 Wishes list a few years ago. I don't know though. I'm basically starting from sedentary status. What I want is an introductory fitness dance type class, and I have no idea where to look for one locally.

I did check the City recreation guide and came up empty. Found only belly dance, and it is $60 for a 9 week class. Also not in my area of town at all. I have to be concerned about that because DH needs the car for work some evenings. I really am not that interested in belly dance either. I don't want to spend money on costuming.