2013 Hobby Supplies Use It Up Challenge
Page 1 of 119 12341151101 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 2013 Hobby Supplies Use It Up Challenge

New year! New enthusiasm! Use it up! Use it all up!

Hobby supplies means materials for pretty much anything you enjoy doing. My yarn stash is totally out of control. That's what I'm working on using down. Fabric, beads, paint, quilt batting, building supplies if you love playing home improvement, scrapbook or jewelry making supplies, anything you need to use up and plan to have a good time doing it will count.

Come join us if those hobby supplies have accumulated! Those of us who were in it last year had a lot of fun. You are totally entitled to brag here about anything you use up, no matter how large or small, or even strange. This is the place!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in for a third year. No new purchases, unless it is something I need to finish an existing project (ie batting or backing for a quilt, thread, more glue, etc).

I made two queen size quilt tops last year, and one the year before with no apparent dent in my fabric collection, and it's not even all that big. The way the economy is going, I can't really afford to buy a lot these days, good thing I won't need to!
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in again! It was a lot of fun last year. This year should be fun, too.

I've noticed myself getting distracted again. Just within my line of sight in the living room right now, I see two ceramics projects sitting out with the paint to go with them, the new floor stand with a needlepoint project on it, the three birds cross stitch waiting to be framed, quilt books, a bead project and supplies, a case full of bead books, a box of Lynx blocks top caps waiting for a bag to be made for them, at least six other sewing projects stacked on the sewing machine which should be in the sewing room (but it's too cold back there), two containers full of cross stitch patterns, a file thingie I made full of double-pointed knitting needles, a knitting bag with project inside I've given up on, four or five x stitch kits, and the cross stitch project I'm actually working on. I'm sure if I looked harder, I'd see more stuff. It's no wonder I get distracted. I've concluded I'm going to try to work through one thing at a time, and if that means I don't get all the ceramics done or all the x stitch UFOs done this year, so be it. After all, allowing my focus to become divided is how I got into this mess in the first place.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When I looked at the total I had spent on yarn last year, I was appalled. A little here, a little there, sometimes a lot there - it really added up shockingly.

I am set up for the bead game and stick game I planned at the end of last year. I pulled sticks for four projects, and they were not kind to me. The first project was RH Classic artichoke, a green that doesn't do with any of my other greens so I've avoided it. I pulled other colors to go with it and finished the lapghan, rather bland, but done - unfortunately, I still have artichoke leftover.

The second was Caron One Pound Midnight Blue. A nice color, but there aren't many colors to choose from in that brand and I don't think it mixes well. I tried one set with it and didn't like it and ended up doing dark red and off white. On principle I avoid red white and blue, aside from not particularly liking the combination anyway. But that's done. Someone will love it.

The third was RH Classic Tangerine. This is the hardest orange I've ever found to use - it has a reddish cast and is so intense it's almost fluorescent. I made a rainbow ripple that took some ripping out and rearranging, but it turned out great. I'm almost thinking of keeping it. Pics of all to come eventually.

The fourth was RH Country Rose, a discontinued color as far as I can tell, and definitely not a favorite. I'm about 2/3 finished with that one.

For January I'm skipping the yarn lottery. I have a few things in odd brands I want to use up. I've started on one of those. I want to keep two going - one in the living room for daytime, one in the bedroom for after work. The birds are already asleep so I let them be and stay in the other room.

For work, I'm going to focus on using up the tiny bits and completing the small granny squares for that work in progress.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think we'll have too much trouble not buying retail projects. Thrift store stuff, that's another issue we'll have to deal with as it comes up. Our GW hasn't had much selection for craft stuff lately, and what they have is usually too expensive, so that helps. But we're both sick of all the excess laying around while we stupidly buy more, so I hope that attitude continues for us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today I used some pretty snowflake paper to make a frame around a pic of dh & I. Turned out cute (;

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What a fun challenge. I know I will fail miserably at it as I love to shop. We'll see what I actually do this year!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am so in for this challenge! I have got to use up some of my fabric! I am also making a few projects for myself! 98% of the stuff I have made the last few years I have given away! I want a quilt for myself! LOL I am not going to buy any fabric unless it is to finish a project. Most of what I will buy will be backing for my quilts... I will be working on some blocks this weekend...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Just as I firmly resolve no more new yarn, I come back to work after a long Christmas break and my supervisor has a belated Christmas present for me - a Michael's gift card. Well, we'll see. I do want to use it soon so I don't forget all about it. I might look at the cross stitch kits, but there really isn't much at Michael's I would use except yarn. They used to have those small garden tables and I could use one of those, but haven't seen them there in a long time. Ah, a thought. I could check out some new greenery for the bird cage. Not really necessary, but more yarn is even more unnecessary. If it does end up being yarn by default it will be RHSS black and white. I can always use those. I may need to just go shop some day, see what all is there and then wait for a sale.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You're off the hook if it's a GC. YOU would not be buying, the person who gave you the card is buying!

I'm such a good enabler.

Still working on the x stitch project. It's coming along fairly quickly, but unfortunately I'm not getting much else done. I did sort through three boxes of stuff today and sorted it for the ongoing mega-declutter in the back bedroom.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The catch is, as unlikely as it sounds, I really don't want any more yarn, at least not now. I feel like I'm drowning in it. The one color I would have liked to increase was RHSS charcoal, and Michael's hasn't had that. Ours has very little yarn. It's a wonderful color, very dark, but softer than black so better with a lot of things. It's also a cool gray. Almost all the gray I have is warm gray, that I don't like nearly as well.

I'm going to update my signature in a few minutes. In December, I used up 42 balls or cakes of yarn. A few of those were bits or small balls, but I really went through quite a bit since I was off work so much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Maybe there's a cross stitch kit online.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't think Michael's sells online. I've never found a shopping entry on their website. There are several things in the ad this week though that might be worth looking into. Tomorrow's going to be a miserable day, sleet in the am with rain later in the day. It might be a good day to go - either it won't be crowded, the ideal, or everyone will have the same idea, which wouldn't be so great. I guess it depends on how early I can get myself together. I might not have time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am still living vicariously through you all and working on my no-sew braided rug during the sporadic videos or webinars for school. I am still taking it apart. I found a HUGE string rug at Goodwill Outlet when my friend and I were there a few weeks back. I took it apart on xmas day while I was hanging out with the family. I have tons more string to add to it now. It really needed to be bigger, but I was out of string and I was just going to let it be the size it was. Now, I can make it bigger. I am hoping it will be big enough that it will fit in front of the sink. I love having a thick skooshy rug in front of the sink to stand on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Zakity - what good luck on finding the rug! Please post a pic when you get it finished!

Page 1 of 119 12341151101 ... LastLast