2014 Hobby Supplies Challenge: Use it or Lose it! - Page 128
Page 128 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2878118125126127128
Results 1,906 to 1,917 of 1917
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sounds great SD!

I decided to dig up a hardanger Christmas ornament kit and start working it. Only one problem...I cannot see to do it!!! I did not realize my eyesight had deteriorated so badly. I've tried all the eye glasses I have in the house and am struggling with the best pair on my face right now. I'm not surprised I dropped it for rug hooking a few years ago!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Knowing you can't see well enough to do the hardanger will be helpful when it comes to purging, I would think. I have a lighted magnifier I use for some projects. It helps a lot. Handy for removing splinters, too!

I got all Mom's meal mixes put together, so that's done, and made the fruitcake, too. So Christmas will be done as soon as those come out of the oven. Oh, wait, I have to wrap two gifts.

I'm back on the computer and pedaling. Gotta get in shape for HydroBiking on the lake next year!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been thinking about the desk situation for a couple days now and finally realized I don't want to give up my big honkin' steel desk. I love it in my office, it's very comfortable because it has plenty of leg/foot space underneath, and I sit in the corner of the L and can see out the east window to my left that looks into the woods and the south window to the right that overlooks the lake, so I have two great views. I also have plans to overhaul that space once the cabin is purged. It wouldn't be fun to get that thing into the house, either, so it's probably best to leave it where it is.

Husby said he'd try Mom's desk that's in my sewing room, but he wasn't enthused about it. The more I thought about that, too, the less I want to give it up, even though it's a little bit bigger than I would like. It has a lot of storage in it and I don't know where I'd go with the stuff that's in it, stuff like serger thread that I won't get rid of because I'd just have to buy it back at some point, so it doesn't make any sense to get rid of it. So that leaves option #3, building something. I gave that a lot of thought too and discussed some plans for that with Husby tonight. He's happy about it, so that's what we're going to do. We have all the materials for it, I think, so that'll help use up some stuff and he'll end up with exactly what he wants/needs for that space. Basically all we should actually have to build is the top, which will be quick and easy, and we may possibly have to rebuild the bookshelves that will face outward on the back of the desk. I haven't measured yet to see if we already have any shelves the right height. Width is negotiable. I need to see if there's a shallow drawer or two that could be used in the middle of the desk too. That's optional though. One of the two cabinets we'll use to support the ends has three drawers he's been using for years, so if he doesn't get a middle drawer, he won't miss it.

I can't wait to get rid of that pool table come spring! So much hinges on clearing that space out.

Wish Husby would decide which way he wants the desk to face. That will determine how big his bulletin board can be.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ooooooohhhhhhhhhh, nnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooo!

Evil, evil Pinterest. I find myself interested in doing a Project Without a Purpose. Like I have no purposeful projects waiting for me. I ran across ideas for repurposing and refurbishing vintage make-up cases and train cases, overnight cases, whatever, they have lots of names. People have made them over into sewing cases, crochet and knitting cases, all kinds of stuff. Jeez, WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT? Where's the 'kicking myself' icon?

I have one black plastic case from the seventies. I got rid of one just like it a while ago, only that was blue which would have looked great in my living room. I think I got rid of the cool cardboard one that belonged to my MIL, which was from the forties or fifties and would have looked great sitting under the table I made from the cast iron Singer treadle sewing machine base. Waaaah, sniffle. I don't regret much of the stuff I've gotten rid of, but right now I'm really hating it that I let that go. I'll get over it eventually, but that case would have made a great project bag, and I could have gotten rid of one of the cloth ones I have instead to make room.

At any rate, I have the black one which isn't as cool but needs a new lining. I just have to figure out why I would be repurposing it and where it can live if I do. And how I could repurpose it so it would work as well as the project bags I have already.

I wonder if I'll actually ever get around to doing anything with it.

I knew this would happen if I signed up for Pinterest. Evil, evil, evil....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

More evil. Husby has a collection of small, Hot Wheels-type model cars from his childhood. He's thinking of getting rid of them, but IMO it would be a shame to just toss them and to let go of all of them. I love this idea using cell phones and think it would look fantastic using his little cars. He needs a clock in his office, doesn't he? Don't know if I'll let him use the Monkees car though. It can stay in the nicknack case. I have to show him this, but I bet he'll love the idea.

I will never live long enough to make all the stuff I plan to make.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD you're hilarious!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I meant to say Matchbox cars, not Hot Wheels.

I've made the decision to gut the antique radio we've abusively left out in the garage for the past fifteen years and then try to slice and dice it into something we can use for a TV stand and storage. It's quarter-sawn oak and a beautiful piece. We've been planning to sell it but nobody we've asked about it wants it. It's really tough to sell stuff up here. Husby doesn't care what I do with it and he's okay with donating the old 79 rpm records it's full of, too.

Looking at Pinterest has reminded me that the potential for repurposing is greatly increased if I just have the courage to make major changes, and that not everything needs to be left as is. We inherited all this stuff so we don't have any investment in it. Most of the time, my ideas work out. If they don't, so be it. It wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'm going to gut both antique phones, too. I'm going to make some kind of little storage cabinet out of the big one and hang that on the wall somewhere, and I still want to make a lamp out of the little one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have recently finished two yarn dyeing experiments.

I have tea dyed some yarn. I have tea dyed before, but this was the first time trying it on something that was not white or off white to start with. I tried it with some fairly bright pink. The result was a color that was slightly darker and less bright. I only tea died a section of it so it gives a variegated look.

The other experiment was bleach dyeing some yarn. It turned it a lighter color, but did not take all the dye out. I left some of it out of the bleach water for a variegated look. The yarn for that is dyeing now.

This will be a year with no new yarn and (probably) no new fabric, but there will be some things I am picking up. I am doing more drawing now, so I will be picking up markers during the year. I am also picking up a rigid heddle loom. These are smaller looms and more affordable. You can do any length but the width is limited. It is good for making things like scarves. Cheaper is a bit relative. It will probably cost around $150-$300. But a full size loom can cost $1000 or more. I will also experiment with some make shift looms and weaving on found objects. (More on that later.)

I have an end of the year performance bonus and work, so I was thinking of how to spend it. My yarn and fabric storage is full. I am trying to loose weight, so even buying "new" thrift store clothes seems like a waste. So I have the loom and some markers so far.

I am thinking of getting an indoor flower garden at work. Real plants are not allowed (though they do not seem to enforce this) so I am going with some good quality fake plants. I have an open shelf on my cube that is about 1 foot by two feet. I wanted to fill it with flowers and plants. Perhaps a small outdoor "statue" or two. I could probably get a nice mini statue from the museums at work, but I could probably get one on line cheaper. I am not sure exactly how I want to do this, pots, vases, a big chunk of green craft foam with flowers stuck in. It is a pleasant thing to think about.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I haven't caught up with what everyone is doing or what you have said.

Do we want to continue this next year? I'm game if you are!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, yes, please! I need this one. It's fun to see what everyone else is doing, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ok, I read through the discussions. I like the idea of the clock, SD!

Decluttering report -
    Kathy, as for mine, his, ours, that's one reason she starts with clothing, because it's yours. It takes compromises, and I can see it being very difficult with two people. I live alone, so it's easy for me. It's not exactly minimalist. You keep what you love and work with that. That means getting rid of all the stuff you don't love, and that can pare it down a lot, but she never dictates what you should or should not keep or how much of it. That is a decision only you can make.

I have a pretty easy time turning loose of stuff, but sometimes the money spent argument gets me too. The thing I tossed on that ground that hurt the most was a 2015 calendar that I had just bought last month, and it wasn't a cheap one. I bought it online, loving the cover picture. If they had chosen any of the others to feature, I would not have bought it and I knew I would never put it up. So out it went. That hurt, but I'll forget all about it very soon. I don't sell things. It would be lovely to have the money, but to me it isn't worth the hassle. When I decide something should go, I just want it GONE. Yesterday.

I did indeed go through every single thing. I gave all the baby yarn to co-workers, and culled a couple of other colors, not as much as I expected. The other major cull was books. A fair number of excessively worn out clothing went - tees and things like that. Other than that, I guess every category of stuff had few things. I have one box, the white ones you get at Office Depot for store files - with a few things for a friend, and I took one of those and a couple of smallish boxes of books to Goodwill. The box was mostly not culled stuff - it had the last three baby blankets I made. They were rather stiff, scratchy yarn, so I tried washing them with softener as recommended, and that made a huge difference. But after that, of course, they did not look pristine and brand new, so I thought Goodwill was better than a hospital donation.

Over the two weeks, I carried out, I think, eight bags of trash. Some of that, however, was normal household trash and kitchen garbage, and some of the bags weren't very full because they had heavy items in them.

I said I did everything, but actually, not quite. I did not do papers. I always do those after I finish up taxes at the beginning of February. But that's very little too.

It was a major reorganization as much as anything. I did split up a couple of categories for storage. I moved books, mostly into a smaller bookcase, with a shelf of overflow left in the original big bookcase. Most of those are keepers - the others are all to be read. The few unread that are left there will shift to the small bookcase as I get room in it. Hard copy books are on my use it up list for the coming year. I've decided to mostly put the Kindle aside and read through as many of those as I can, culling the ones unworthy of a re-read. Any I cull I won't have to move. E-readers are a great blessing with a move in store.

Also the yarn was divided. The One Pound in it's project bags are in a huge box under the microwave table. The I Love This Yarn, next to be used, is in the emptied bookcase. It's nice there, adding a lot of color to the bedroom. The RH and Pound of Love are still in the living room cabinets, but I was able to spread out the RH more so I can easily see what I have. It wasn't necessary to do that now, because I won't be using any of it this year, unless I need some to go with the ILTY colors. The puzzles were all moved into those cabinets to free up a metal shelving unit in the closet. They are heavy, but I put them only on the bottom shelves that are flat on the floor, so the weight doesn't matter. All the other craft and hobby supplies also had room there. So essentially all the toys are in one place except the two kinds of yarn I hope to use ASAP.

I knew I didn't have a lot left to cull, but it's given me more room in the walk in closet and I just feel, in general, like I have more elbow room.

I worked very industriously at it the first two or three days, all day and evening, but then, day by day, the works got shorter and the plays got longer, until the last two days it was about 10 minutes of work - LOL. But I was down to stowing the last few bits of flotsam that the decluttering tide left stranded. I didn't quite finish that, but another 10-15 minutes will do it. The last two days we've had weather that cried out for snuggling under a lap quilt and reading, and it was very arthritis unfriendly. Anyway, I had worked enough for a two week holiday that overall was a lot more work than play.

Almost no crocheting. I finished up the lapghan I was working on and got a small start on another, but I was more in a reading mood. I've churned out a lot of crocheting the last few months of last year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow! I think you did amazingly well getting things in order. It sounds like your vacation was very productive.