2014 Hobby Supplies Challenge: Use it or Lose it! - Page 2
Page 2 of 128 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's been snowing and windy all day today. Fun, fun. I'll be glad when Husby gets home tonight. I feel sorry for the wild critters who have to be out in this unrelenting sub-zero cold. Yesterday I hardly saw a bird or squirrel all day, and we've been feeding the deer double what they normally get because we know they're burning through zillions of calories just trying to stay warm. I wish we had hay to put down on the ground for them to lay on. The birds are out today. It's warmer than yesterday but windy and snowing, so I don't know if they consider the weather an improvement or if they just have to come out and get something to eat. It should help them that they don't have to search and scratch for their food, since they know our feeders are always full and we have suet out for them, too, so no calories wasted looking for food. We have lots of goldfinches here today. They look slightly less poofed than they have been lately, so maybe they're not as cold.

I think once I get done with the little drawers, I'll go through the white pails that have zippers, buttons, and stuff like that in them. There must be some stuff in those I don't want, and maybe I can combine some of them to make more space. I'm doing well getting rid of cardboard boxes. Some will have to stay, but I'm hoping to get rid of all except those above the wall cabinets. I'm getting pretty close to that goal, I think. Then I'm going to have to tackle the fabric. Not looking forward to that because that's what takes up so much space, especially some of the UFOs. But I should be able to scare up some stuff to donate and make some room, and I also have a plan to make some room for totes to put things in.

At any rate, I feel like there's some hope I'll eventually get through this disaster.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

MM - I was looking for Scrabble tiles before Christmas and they are costly, at least I think they are. There were a lot on ebay. What I finally got, that, as usual, cost me more, was a double bananagrams set at Amazon. One of my absurd pleasures is playing a sort of solitaire scrabble, just making interesting words. I love words. It was (gasp) $20, but entertainment money well spent. I don't know what you want them for - something crafty I suppose. But these were perfect for me. A Scrabble set has what, 107 tiles? Something like that? This has 288 and a chance to finally make words with "zz" in them. They are a very heavy plastic, feel like good dominoes. No letter point values on them to clutter up my neat grids. See? It doesn't take much to amuse me. It was a another $20 I hadn't planned to spend on entertainment, but it's a forever thing, so well worth it. As I said, I had a very merry Christmas, probably enough to get me drummed out of the frugal corps. At least none of my "toys" need batteries.

No crafting or using up anything today. I mostly sat in my chair, nursing a cup of tea, and watching the birds. They were happy birds. I gave them green peas today, one of their favorites.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Scrabble games might be cheap at GW or free on Freecycle.

Our governor has closed schools statewide for Monday. I can't recall that ever happening before. It was unusual enough that it made the national news. The local TV news said roads are starting to get slick up in our area, so I'm glad we're home and not going anywhere this weekend. One of the online weather sites said temps might get into the sixties below zero, which would be record breaking. Unless they're talking about wind chill. I hope it's wind chill. If it gets below minus 44, we will not have heat. Not good.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - are you sure you aren't in Antarctica? Well, it's summer down there now, but these don't sound at all like normal temps or conditions even for your area. Why would you lose heat? Do you use heating oil? Does it just get too viscous? I've never had to deal with it so don't know anything about it. If we had those temps here, I would have to sell my car next month to pay the electric bill, and would probably still be freezing. Our houses aren't built to hunker down in the cold. Now might be a good time to visit MM! Assuming you could get to an airport, which you probably couldn't.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's going to be a record breaking cold spell in a lot of places. Highs near 0 on Monday they are saying for us. Our heat will probably run all day. Sure glad I got some quilts finished last year. Not planning to go out if it can be avoided, glad I got food stocked up.

Worked on the circle quilt today. Not a lot of progress, but a start.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow all of you are sure on a good roll and I haven't even started except in my mind. I have a litter of beautiful puppies currently occupying the sewing room so I am using that as an excuse. When I go in there all I want to do is kiss and cuddle them. Spirit Deer---you are really putting me to shame...don't forget to post some pic. Maui--I looked at every garage sale this summer for tiles for a project I wanted to make. Seems like in years past they were at all the sales now that I want them..nothing. Hope someone has some for you. I really hope that all of you post pictures of your projects, they sound great. Has anyone out there made mittens using old sweaters? I donated a very large bunch of wool sweaters to a lady for gloves she makes, thought I might get a pair...nope. Guess I need to figure out how to make my own. I have heard they are super warm as they are lined with fleece also.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DC, Google for the stories about the ship trapped in the ice in Antarctica recently. They're rescued now, but they were stuck there nine days. It's colder than normal, and it's lasting longer than normal, too. Or I guess average is a better word than normal.

At minus 44 degrees, liquid propane stops vaporizing and so it won't burn in our three furnaces to heat the house. Last time that happened, it was near freezing in our cabin and down to around fifty in the house before the outside temps warmed up enough for the heat to come back on. So naturally we're hoping it doesn't get that cold again.

Record low for Minnesota is minus sixty, and that happened about twenty miles from here.

I've never understood why houses down south aren't insulated just as well as houses up here. You may not have the heating issues there but you certainly have cooling issues to deal with. Insulation improves efficiency for either.

Tonight wouldn't be a good night to get to an airport. The roads are slick up here right now. I wouldn't leave the house when it's this cold anyway, not for long. Too much can be ruined if the heat failed and pipes froze or whatever.

I haven't been in a store since Thanksgiving, so I'm glad we're stocked up, too. We're saving a fortune on groceries, and I've noticed I'm wasting less food, too. I might have to start staying home all winter every winter!

Sometimes starting is the hardest part, CH. Congrats on getting going.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was sorting through my yarn today and found four crochet scrunchies, all finished, in a bag with some yarn. I will be counting them - after all I did take them out of my craft supply area.

I found some almost finished projects with my yarn as well.

I did some sewing but my machine kept breaking the thread. I cleaned and oiled it and will let it sit for the night.

I thought about the fake fur. The piece is about the size of a baby blanket. I was pretty sure I had two peices but I am not able to find the other one. It is big and bulky and we live in a condo. Not too many places it could hide. I am thinking of a fur wrap, a small collar and a muff. Maybe something for my head. And trim for my coat hood. I do not think i will get anything done with it this weekend.

Too bad because it is supposed to be really cold Monday. I have my security clearance interview Monday so maybe it is not good to show up to that wrapped in fur. Buying expensive stuff when you do not make lots of money is concidered suspicious. The fur was $20 a yard on sale but someone might think it is the real thing.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Awwww, puppies! We haven't had puppies since 1991. So cute!

Here's a pic of the new and improved rack, with twice as many rods in it now. As it turned out, there's even room for my two tackle boxes that have always sat there, which is lucky. So I was able to put up twelve rolls of fabric instead of six and four rolls of paper besides. I'm happy with how this turned out. It got the rolls up off the floor and that helped a lot in there.

I repurposed bits and pieces and organized this drawer today. That freed up two drawers in the floss cabinets, so that helped a lot, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, your sewing room looks great.
    I'm not in this challenge, but I am lurking in the hopes of getting inspiration.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You don't have to be in the challenge to join the conversation, Winkie. You can encourage others even if you're not up to joining in yet. Besides, we have a lot of year left, and who knows when the urge to organize will strike you?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'll try to get some pictures when I'm off next week. I have the blue and white lapghan/baby blanket finished, and I can post an in progress picture of the one I'm working on.

I should post pictures of my yarn stash, so you could all scold with voices of authority if I buy any more, but they are not very neat since last month when I was putting the One Pound in the cabinets, other kinds had to be moved and since I didn't plan to be using any of it any time soon, I just shoved it all in any old way. Maybe.

Kathy, the fur plans sound good. You're probably right though about the interview.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Winkie, please hang around. We actually chit chat more than we work, I sometimes think. Or, at least I do.

My problem is that I have a sort of dilemma. I feel like I have way too much. On the other hand, I've accumulated it, to have it when I retire and income will be more limited. So I shouldn't be trying to use it up. But having so much makes me antsy because I don't like a lot of stuff around. So I forge ahead using it up, then think retirement and stock up at the next great sale or closeout, and round and round she goes. That's why I've kind of refocused this more me, not to be driven to use it up and move it out, as I have been, but to stop accumulating more, at least for the most part.

This means I probably won't be as productive this year, at least not churning out two or three dozen lapghans like I have the last couple of years. I also want to master thread crochet, so those will be little things and it won't feel like I'm accomplishing much.

I am making, maybe, one exception to the buy no more rule. If I find I really like thread crochet and it seems to be something I will continue with, when my birthday rolls around I might get more of the Optima thread that is discontinued. It's beautiful thread with a nice shine and pretty colors. Since I've only found it that one place, there isn't much opportunity left to get it. On the other land, I could also learn to live with Aunt Lydia. But I have to work at the craft first and see how it goes and if I like it. At least like it enough to spend more on it. I already have a drawful of thread to play with.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yep, hang around... They let me stay and I really don't have time for crafting right now. I have a no-sew braided rag rug that I am working on. I am working on taking it apart because it was wavy. I only have time to work on it when I have classes that have lots of lectures or videos to watch. I have been working on taking the rub apart for over a year now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks all! I do have an over flow of craft stuff. I can crochet a little, but to see my stash of yarn, you would think I planned on making afghans for the entire state. If a little is good, a lot is better, right? So it goes with my other projects...

Page 2 of 128 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast