2014 Hobby Supplies Challenge: Use it or Lose it! - Page 3
Page 3 of 128 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Winkie - your stash - that sounds about right to me!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had a thought this morning about the shelf I wanted in the sewing room on top the little wardrobe. I would have had a shelf only about halfway across the wardrobe, just enough to make a space over the top of the books I had, no room for any other books. But then I thought about the bookshelf we had in the cabin entryway, that has go because we have to put a wall cabinet back up in that space. What if the bookcase would fit on the wardrobe? I knew the widths were similar. So I measured and it was too wide, but not by much. I realized the wardrobe would fit inside the bookcase instead of the bookcase sitting on top of it. Perfect! I wish it wasn't particle board, but it's good enough. Instead of one partial shelf now, I'm adding three more full-width shelves. I had to move two floss cabinets to make room, so I put those on top the big wardrobe, which displaced the six plastic containers I had on that. But ah-ha! Those six fit nicely on the new shelves. I love when stuff works out so well. I also love not having to build and paint new shelving, especially in frigid weather, and not even having to make a lot of changes to the bookcase. All I had to do was move the pink shelf up higher so tall books would fit in there. Simple! And I'm very happy that I have so much more space for books, which I've needed since the day I moved into that room. I'm so glad I thought of doing this. As a bonus, now the wall cabinet in the cabin can be moved and rehung where the bookshelf was, since it was sitting on a base cabinet where it had ended up by accident because we didn't have anywhere else to go with it years ago, and it was still sitting there, full of flower pots.

With all the furniture we've Freecycled, broken up to throw away, combined with other pieces, cut down and repurposed, and otherwise dealt with, we're really making huge progress in getting rid of the excess.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - it looks like you are really making some progress. Good work!

I took some pictures this morning. The blue marl afghan isn't as wonky as it looks here. This was not a day I could bend down to straighten it out. Also, the blues are not a grey as they look in the photo, at least on my computer. The green and white, also not a really true color is the one in progress.

The rest are stash. A drawer of thread, totes, and three cabinets of yarn. That's a lot, right? Well, somehow I didn't get three photos transferred to the thumb drive I brought in to work with me, so there are three MORE cabinets, just like those. Yes. Six, count them, six, cabinets full of yarn. I could be smug because one shelf in one of them is almost empty, except I didn't get a pic of the plastic tote with the leftover balls of One Pound that I'm currently using as part of a table. Other than that, the only thing not showing here is the next big skein for the green and white wave, and a bucket with another WIP with a little of the yarn for it. I must buy No More Yarn. Not in 2014. Well, maybe just a little? Nah, no more yarn.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Hobby Supplies Challenge: Use it or Lose it!-blue-marl.jpg  

2014 Hobby Supplies Challenge: Use it or Lose it!-green-marl-wip.jpg  

2014 Hobby Supplies Challenge: Use it or Lose it!-thread-drawer.jpg  

2014 Hobby Supplies Challenge: Use it or Lose it!-red-heart-1.jpg  

2014 Hobby Supplies Challenge: Use it or Lose it!-red-heart-2-3.jpg  

2014 Hobby Supplies Challenge: Use it or Lose it!-totes.jpg  

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

KathyB, I disagree about using fake fur trim on a coat or gloves. It's all over the place on winter outerwear, I don't think it's suspicious at all. Yes, they do look for evidence of spending beyond your means, but $20 in fake fur is not going to sound any alarms. They're looking to see if you bought a Maserati on a school teacher salary.

Sweater mitten tutorial: Sweater Mitten Tutorial | The Renegade Seamstress

SD, that's great that you can fit so much storage into your sewing room. Ah, if I only had walls in mine.

I did some more work on the new blocks. It's a nice feeling this time around. With three other quilts out of the way I no longer feel overwhelmed by UFOs. Stuff, yes, but the backlog of projects has been whittled down a lot over the past two years.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

D, I love your storage! It's so neat and organized!

CH, could you do any floor to ceiling room divider-style shelving?

That mitten pattern is almost like the one I've used for over twenty years now with polar fleece. Never thought about using sweaters, but why not? We love the fleece version, and they're the only mittens we use. Two layers of fleece with a layer of Thinsulate in between. That keeps our hands warm on the very coldest days. Thanks for posting that tutorial. It led me to this one: ...make it more girly | T-shirt Refashion I've been looking for a good way to make over T shirts because I wear them a lot but I get tired of them looking so boxy. This should be a quick and easy and cute fix. Now I have to locate a sacrificial tee to try it out.

Tonight's free entertainment: Over The Hedge. Maybe we're in our second childhood here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Some day we would like to put the walls back and turn it back into a bedroom, but there hasn't been any money. The one "wall" that overlooks the sunken entry and the LR has two tables (one with my serger) and the new cabinet. I could put in full size book shelves (until recently that's been an expense we couldn't afford) but I think it would be just as ugly and just as half-assed looking as it is now, and it would bump my tables out -- and I only have about 18" between my tables and the ironing board which is up against the stuff on the opposite wall. I also thought of hanging curtains, but again it's the make-shift look, and doesn't solve my storage problem. I have a new idea, to just put the curtain on the lower half, behind the decorative railing there. I could get some spring rods. You could still see everything in the room, but it would cover all the shoeboxes and crap under the tables. It might look better, but it's no storage solution.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

chousewife..thanks for referral to site. I a definately going to try to make these..just don't know when. Maybe over the Feb. break...that is girl's week with my daughters, we go to a state park and stay in a cabin. There is usually only one other cabin rented, so it is super quite and I sew and sew all day. Perfect vacation for me.
    dcompton--I love them..so pretty..I would sit and stare at all the beautiful colors of your yarn for hours. I catch myself doing that with my fabrics...well not hours maybe..but I get this warm feeling just looking at the beautiful colors and patterns.
    Spirit Deer--Great idea for tees. I am sure you'll fine the shirt to try it with. Let us know when you do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

l8eebugg - when I had the yarn on open shelves I did just stare at it and fantasize projects. I was always wanting to dash through the started one that was alluring when I began, but became old news as I thought of three dozen more. The cabinets have doors that close and I find that out of sight is much, much better for me.

You cabin holiday sounds like a dream come true.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sometimes there isn't a good solution, CH. BTDT, too. But keep thinking. It didn't occur to me to do most of what I've done in the past week either, but coming up with this stuff by accident is making a big difference for me. All I had planned to do with my sewing room was to put away some stuff and donate some stuff and add the rods to the rack, not revamp the whole dang room. But it's going to be so worth it.

Could you put up custom tables? I did that in a room I had in the house in town that was no bigger than yours, probably smaller. I attached them to the wall. I used OSB and then glued on scraps of vinyl flooring with contact cement, so they were cheap to build. They were L shaped and two feet deep. That was before I had the industrials though. Those machines are on tables that are only about eighteen inches deep. The shallow tables worked pretty well for the residentials. I only had two then, the old Viking and the serger.

What about making cheap 4x8 (or whatever) frames and then tacking fabric to those and putting them behind your railings instead of just doing curtains halfway up? That would look better than gathered curtains, IMO, and make the space seem bigger than something gathered. If you wanted, you could get fancy and do something pieced to dress things up. I don't think that would look tacky. Fancy room divider screens can be an expensive design element, and very doable for relatively little money if you DIY. Cheaper than walls till you're ready to do the real walls.

Is there storage in your tables? All mine have storage except the industrials, which each only have a tiny drawer. But I've taken care of that now by adding drawers underneath that sit on the floor. Should have done that years ago but kept thinking I wanted shelves there. All my residential machines sit on desks and have at least three drawers. Mom offered me her really nice sewing machine tables and I turned them down. No way was I giving up all the storage in my desks. I've gotten all of them cheap at garage sales. One I got for a dollar because the legs were broken off on one side, easy fix. The most I've paid for any of them is $35 and that was because I really loved that one, so was willing to pay more. Mom's desk is the nicest one though. I'm sure it was expensive when they bought it.

Do either of you do simple construction? Shelving is dead easy to construct and not that expensive when made with pine. You could pick up some nice paneling to use for the back and face that into your LR. It would give you a lot of storage and if flat tables worked for you, you could put a tabletop along the entire length.

Just spitballing here. Maybe a discussion will spark an idea that works for you, I hope.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No, there is no storage, one is an old kitchen table, the other has an old White in it, but no drawers. I've got 30-40 plastic shoeboxes in the space under them, all my quilting fat quarters, lots of notions, non-reeled ribbon, extra thread, yarns and loose trimming stuff, etc. That's all visible from the LR.

We're both handy, I learned cabinet making (fine furniture) in high school, but we don't have the larger tools, and until this summer there was NO work space in the garage. There still isn't, really, though DH manages without cutting fingers off.

My dream is to have an entire wall of Elfa shelving and baskets, sort of like this: http://adamtate.com/new/ElfaShelvingWall.jpg Someday.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, that's nice stuff! I can see why you'd like that.

I used to use old kitchen tables, too.

What fun! We just had a visit from the prettiest little pine marten I've ever seen. His fur was so thick and his little face was so darn cute! I tried to get a pic but the stupid screens reflected the flash, and when I went out on the deck to try he took off. Poor little guy was after the suet, which is why I put out extra suet. The coats on pine martens are amazing. We don't advertise that we have them, because their pelts are valuable. I can see why. Every little forest critter should have such a nice built-in parka. This isn't our visitor but ours looked a lot like this guy:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

chousewife--that storage from Elfa is the stuff dreams are made of. Nice
    I use a desk I got for free off the side of the road...it is the best thing I have ever used for my machine. Although most of the time I drag the machine out to LR and use on DR table so I can watch TV while I sew plus the light is better there.
    Spirit Deer--I would have loved to see that Martin...they are so cute. Lucky you to have them visit you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pine martens are just beautiful. The coat on the one that came last night was just gorgeous, so thick and luxurious and shiny. We like seeing them, but we're glad they're not around too much because they're predators and eat squirrels and birds. OTOH, they're also prey to bigger animals, so I guess what goes around comes around. Pine martens are very bold and will stare us down through the windows. I have feeders outside my office windows about three feet from where I sit at my desk, and I've had them come and sit there staring at me while they eat. Kinda creepy because they make direct eye contact and aren't a bit intimidated. They're about the size of a cat so not small animals.

I found a basket to put all my hook and loop tape in, so I got rid of the tacky cardboard box I've been using. Progress! And I found space for a small plastic multi-drawer cabinet in with the books in the new bookcase, so I don't have to get rid of that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The pine marten came back! But I still couldn't get a pic because of the screen on the windows. We took that off now, so maybe I'll be able to get some shots. I'm sure he'll be back again.

I've concluded I'm really not that interested in covering the old blankets I was thinking of covering. I'd have to do all that work, use up a lot of fabric, and I don't think we even need them so I'd have to store them. I decided if I need a dang blanket, I'm going to go to the store and buy one. I'm having Husby take them to the vet's office tomorrow and see if they want them or if we can donate them to the animal shelter they collect stuff for, but if not, they're going to the trash. That will get a ton of stuff out of my sewing room in a big hurry.

So there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That sounds like a good decision. Sometimes remaking something just isn't worth the efforts and materials it would require. Eventually things are truly toss-worthy, but it would be nice if they would work for the animals.