2014 Hobby Supplies Challenge: Use it or Lose it! - Page 4
Page 4 of 128 FirstFirst 12345671454104 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That idea didn't last long. I thought the blankets were in the closet but I can't find them. I haven't dug to the bottom yet though. Regardless, once I do find them, they're leaving.

Our little pine marten came back again a few minutes ago. Husby had just swapped the suet feeder and the sunflower feeder though, which confused the little guy. He jumped up to get on the suet feeder but it was the sunflower feeder and he fell off the deck all the way to the ground. He took off toward the lake, but then came back from the west side of the deck and couldn't seem to figure out how to climb the garden fence. Then he headed east where he usually comes from, but he didn't get back on the deck. He'll probably come back before too long though. My camera is loaded and ready.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    That sounds like a good decision. Sometimes remaking something just isn't worth the efforts and materials it would require. Eventually things are truly toss-worthy, but it would be nice if they would work for the animals.
    I need to remember that thought. I have a really hard time throwing things away. Both my parents were hoarders so there is some kind of inherited tendancy for that. I am not as bad as they were. I have messy overfull closets, but it has not taken over my home.

Sometime I do get extreme anxiety at the thought of throwing things away.

I make a lot of stuff with recyled materials. Mostly I use old clothing. I do a lot of small sewing projects, so old clothing works well for that. But I probably save more that I need of that stuff. I may need to go through and purge some of it.

I also have some old fabric from when my tastes were different than they are now. So I do not get that excited about using it.

I have mood swings about my stash. Well and in general too I suppose. Sometimes I think "this stuff has some potential." Other times I think "I hate all this stuff." Well maybe not all of it, but a good portion of it.

Anyway I think I need to do a use or throw away attitude with my stuff.

Feeling rather rambing like today........
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    Winkie, please hang around. We actually chit chat more than we work, I sometimes think. Or, at least I do.

My problem is that I have a sort of dilemma. I feel like I have way too much. On the other hand, I've accumulated it, to have it when I retire and income will be more limited. So I shouldn't be trying to use it up. But having so much makes me antsy because I don't like a lot of stuff around. So I forge ahead using it up, then think retirement and stock up at the next great sale or closeout, and round and round she goes. That's why I've kind of refocused this more me, not to be driven to use it up and move it out, as I have been, but to stop accumulating more, at least for the most part.

This means I probably won't be as productive this year, at least not churning out two or three dozen lapghans like I have the last couple of years. I also want to master thread crochet, so those will be little things and it won't feel like I'm accomplishing much.

I am making, maybe, one exception to the buy no more rule. If I find I really like thread crochet and it seems to be something I will continue with, when my birthday rolls around I might get more of the Optima thread that is discontinued. It's beautiful thread with a nice shine and pretty colors. Since I've only found it that one place, there isn't much opportunity left to get it. On the other land, I could also learn to live with Aunt Lydia. But I have to work at the craft first and see how it goes and if I like it. At least like it enough to spend more on it. I already have a drawful of thread to play with.
    I used to calculated how thrifty a hobby was by how long it took to go through a certain amount of craft supplies. Sometimes it is not the cost of the item that is important but how long it lasts. Generally speaking the thinner the yarn you work with the cheaper it is. For example, I could crochet through $5 of bulky yarn in one day. Lace weight yarn would take months for me to go through $5 of yarn, because there are a lot more yards of yarn in a ball. I feel better about splerging for a pricy ball of lace weight yarn since it lasts longer. I feel okay spending $10 for a ball that will last months.

Thread crochet is similiar. If you buy a few balls of yarn it will last for a long time. You might be working for a while on the same ball of thread so it is worth it to get a kind you like. You might be able to pick up some discontinued stuff on line. Or you could call around to local places and see if anyplace has it.

You might want to also try crocheting with lace weight yarn. It feels more like yarn than crocheting with thread. It also gives your hands a chance to get used to crocheting with smaller material. Lace weight is good for making accessories and small decorative items, but I have seen some full sized shawls made with it too.

Thread crochet is more of a challange for your fine motor skills. My experience was that at first my thoughts were "it is hard to do something this small" but after my first project I got used to it and it did not seem hard. Of course some people might be better at this kind of thing and not have an issue with it. If you do embroidery or other small detail crafts you probably will not feel challanged by it at all.
    KathyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm right there with you about getting rid of stuff, Kathy. My parents never got rid of anything. I was thinking about this issue again this morning. My mom is especially bad about keeping everything, and those bad habits were passed to me, which is why I'm dealing with the mess we have now. It did not even occur to me till about ten years or so ago that it was okay to actually get rid of perfectly good stuff, even just give it away or ~gasp~ THROW it away. That's how deeply ingrained the hoarding insanity is in our family. But luckily, it does get easier.

I've reached an age now, and a frustration level with the massive project list, that I've come to realize I don't have to do things anymore just because I can. I have nothing more to prove. I know I have the skills and creativity to make something from nothing and modify things if need be, but I'm working hard to resist doing so in every case. If I don't really need it, why should I waste my time messing with it or our space storing it? I'm not perfect at it by any means, but I'm working on it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, I could have written your post...
    My parents grew up in the depression, so they saved everything. They also had a good sized farm with lots of out buildings to stow their junk. Our house never looked cluttered, because they had other storage options. I have always had trouble throwing away things & have a very hard time when my grown children can throw out so much. When my dd & her husband moved last fall, they had a dumpster brought in & filled it! I thought I would have an anxiety attack. My mother died when I was a teen, so I didn't see the hoarding so bad in her. My oldest sister is 18 years older than I am & she is very bad. She has so many lovely things, but you don't really notice them because there is too much other stuff cluttering her house. I look at her & try to make myself see what too much stuff can do to you. She is a widow now & will never live long enough to get the mess taken care of. Plus she keeps buying stuff, usually at GW.
    I do much better than my sister, but it is still hard to part with stuff. I have about 4 tubs of Christmas stuff to get rid of, but can't seem to do it. Also I have a bunch of clothes, which I will get rid of in the next few months ( I must!). There is stuff in the garage from my kids growing up years & a few pieces of furniture that need new homes. We purged a bunch of stuff in the last year, but I have to keep going. Sorry, I' rambling, but this is an issue I have to address. Like you, just because I know something can be reused, doesn't mean I have a personal responsibility to do it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I totally relate, Winkie. But it really does get easier. Every box, trash bag, or extra piece of furniture that goes out of here now is a huge weight off my shoulders, and I've learned I really love empty space. I especially love not having to take care of all the excess. I'll never be a minimalist but I'm sure sick of stuff like having to pick up 9,427,512 things before I can even sweep the damn floor.

I've also come to realize that just because people before me loved an item, I'm not obligated to love it, too. So if I have some item we've inherited but don't want or need, I no longer have a problem getting rid of it. The thing is not the person it came from. The memories of the person are important, not the stuff. After having three estates dumped on us now, we've learned some lessons the hard way. We want to live in a home, not a warehouse for unwanted clutter.

Mom and I did have a discussion recently about heirlooms. She said herself there's an end to how much stuff the next generation can accept. If every generation is expected to accept the belongings of every generation that went before, how big and cluttered does each succeeding generation's house have to be? We cleaned out her house for her last spring and I know it frustrated her that she wanted us to take so much of her stuff and I kept refusing. On top of all the excess we already had ourselves, we didn't need the stuff she didn't want to let go of, too. We promised ourselves we will not leave a huge mess of clutter and excess for someone else to have to give up weeks of their lives to clean up. That's just cruel. Why do people do that to people they love? We gave up three solid months of our lives to clean out Mom's house, and so much of it was crap that should have never been saved in the first place. My husband spent an entire day, and I spent a half day myself, just breaking down cardboard boxes to be recycled, that should have never been saved in the first place. Crazy. We had better things to do.

I'm glad I've finally realized all our excess is like a stone around my neck, preventing me from doing the things I really want to do. It's taking us a long time to dig out but at least the process is underway now. Eventually, we'll be free.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We're in a similar situation here, too much stuff, not enough desire to get rid of it. But it's like debt or weight gain, you didn't get there overnight and you won't solve it overnight, and you needn't stress over getting rid of it all at once. You need a plan. You need baby steps. We have been baby stepping crap out of the house for years. Last year was a banner year for us, we excavated DH's old car from a garage stacked ceiling high with crap. One. Box. At. A.Time.

It was hard at first, especially childhood stuff, but it gets easier as you go along. I'm at the point now that if I haven't seen it in ten years I don't need to keep it in a dusty box in the garage for another ten years. Mostly.

And of course, once you get the crap out you can see what you really have. DH had a fit over the weekend, he wanted to do some repairs but couldn't find any of the chargers for any one of his 3 power drills. Too much crap...
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD you inspire me. Thank you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH, you too!
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hate not being able to find things so I have to buy more of the same. Guess what I found yesterday in the sewing room? Yes, indeed, five sets of closet rod brackets, complete with screws. ~sigh~ It makes me sick to think of the $15 we spent buying more because I couldn't find those that I knew were in there somewhere. They were in a little box near the rack they needed to go into. I knew I had put them where they wouldn't get lost, or so I thought. I had put a stack of totes full of crap in front of them when I started working in the sewing room and needed to just clear space quickly. We'll probably never use the rod brackets anywhere else, so it's most likely a total loss. Stupid.

See my sig. I first heard that quote on the TV show Criminal Minds. I don't recall the context, but the first time I heard it, it really resonated with me.

I want to go back to writing fiction, but until more of this mess is cleaned up, I can't focus on that. Clutter in my physical space is clutter in my mind, too and it stifles me creativity. That has to change because my life is going by too fast and if I don't publish a novel soon, I never will.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Talk about kindred souls - totally agree with you all.....and every single thing that we get rid of is a victory! .... And I love being victorious!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sometimes I wonder how much my hobby of making things with recycled material is tied to my hoarding.

Then I shove that thought into a dark hole and put a big rock on it.

I think I need to find a bigger rock. That thought keeps coming up again.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm trying to limit my hobbies to things I actually need or will use or can sell.

I'm also always trying to figure out how I can have my cake and eat it, too. I love to read, but I don't need to own thousands of books anymore. I can either let the local library store them for me, or put them on my Nook. The exceptions are cookbooks and travel books.

I've discovered zones, too. I have specific zones for things, and when those are full, something has to go and/or the buying has to stop. For example, I intend to get into scrapbooking in a minor way, just to scrapbook our trips. I have an organizer for papers, tools, albums, etc. It's full now, so I don't buy any more supplies. That's it. I can't allow it to outgrow its space or it will just add to the chaos around here. Unacceptable. The sad part is I have so much crap around here, I don't have time or inclination to start the scrapbooking now. Same for counted cross stitch. It has a designated space and that's full now, so we're not adding to it till some projects get done. Kitchen stuff, same thing. If I buy something, something has to go. The kitchen used to be out of control, but I finally realized it was not okay to stack a dozen cast iron frying pans and three two-foot high stacks of cookbooks on the kitchen table as a permanent solution. In the house where I grew up, stuff like that happened all the time so it did not seem unusual. But everything I buy now, I ask myself where it will be kept. If I can't think of a place, I can't buy it.

I'm also trying really hard to use what we have and not buy more stuff. That's another reason buying the five sets of closet rod brackets bothers me so much. Now the ones I couldn't find have been added to the clutter pile. I'm also really big on repurposing the furniture we have in new ways even if I have to get out some tools and perform surgery, so we don't have to spend the money or add more to the excess around here.

The older I get, the happier I am with less stuff, and the less I feel the need to acquire things. I like that! More money for travel and other interesting pursuits.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My scrapbooks are virtual. I use a free "album generator" program and digital/scanned images. No clutter. The last actual physical album I made was my wedding album (almost 15 yrs ago). And the cat chewed on it!
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I'll like the process of scrapbooking. And we'll like having albums, I think. It's not the same looking at stuff on the computer. Good idea though. I didn't know you could do such a thing, but I should have figured. Everything else is digital.