2014 Hobby Supplies Challenge: Use it or Lose it! - Page 5
Page 5 of 128 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm starting to get symptoms of bead fever...

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Is that like disco fever?
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nah. It's obsessive urges to make things with seed beads. It usually starts with obsessive thoughts about obsessively beading something. I moved a velvet bib out of the wall cabinet in the sewing room and now I want to work on it. I've been working on it off and on for over ten years and really need to get it done. It's of a wolf howling at a full moon on the back, and then I'd have to come up with something for the fronts. I found the patterns in a stack of papers I sorted yesterday, so the bead fever is getting worse. I did a velvet bib years ago with a traditional woodland pattern and put it on a jean jacket and love it. Usually bibs are for dancing, but I don't dance at pow wows, so would rather have it on a jacket. I'm not real artistic so I'm lacking confidence that this will turn out right, and I think that's why I'm dragging my feet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It sounds like it will be really pretty, but I understand not wanting to start something you feel your skills are not up to.

I will get a few more blocks sewn today. I have mending to do, but I'd have to change the thread for that.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's already started. I'm just not sure what to do next. I think I just need to do something, anything at all. If it's wrong, it's not hard to rip out.

I just blew through three or four boxes in the sewing room. That's about all I can stand for now. Three more left of the small stuff, not counting beads, and then I can see if I can find places for what I'm planning to keep. I might get through the final three today yet. I hope so. There's probably some buried on the pool table too, but I'm not going to tear into that yet.

I found my very first tatting shuttle with my first project ever still on it. It's a pretty nice one I'll probably never use. But I'll keep it anyway. It fits nicely into my tatting bag, so won't take up any space or get lost again. The work I did then was actually pretty well done considering I had never touched tatting before. I remember having a lot of trouble with that, which I suppose is why I never finished it or did anything else.

I finally found my crochet hooks, too. Sure wish I'd find my Ginghers.

I'm finding more things to put in the jugs in the wall cabinets. I wasn't sure how that would work out, but I think it'll be fine. It's not my first choice for storage but given the limitations of those cabinets and the fact I don't want to buy anything, I can live with it. I'm using that area for things I don't use much but do need often enough I don't want to get rid of it, so it should be good. I like the uniformity of the containers and how well they fit in the cabinets with no more wasted space.

I'm loving all the empty drawers and spaces since it gives me places to actually put things away, and I'm starting to see true organization now. Finally!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have been thinking about craft supplies, craft priorities and crafting habits.

I think it is not just a matter of having less stuff or more stuff. It is about having the right amount and the right mix of stuff.

I want to trim to the point where it is not cluttered and it is easier to find things. On the other hand, I get anxious if I feel like I am running to low on supplies. Is this a hoarder thing? This idea that I need to have a year or two worth of craft supplies on hand – just in case – or I feel anxious?

I do not think I can override my hoarder tendencies completely without extreme anxiety, but I think I can reign them in with a manageable amount of stress.

I also need to balance out how much I have for each craft.

Ideally I should have the most supplies for crafts I do the most of, a medium amount of supplies for what I do on a regular basis, and a little bit of space for things I just do once and a while. There are a few complicating factors, like some supplies being naturally more big and bulky that others. For example, I could probably fit a year worth of origami paper in a small drawer, but a year worth of yarn would take up a lot more space.

The supplies are not matching up.

I have a lot of fabric on hand. Mainly this is because I work a lot with recycled fabric so the supply is added to naturally as clothes wear out. Yet I generally only sew on weekends and not every weekend. So I do not go through supplies very quickly. It would take me a long time to go through everything I have. Actually more is added to the recycled cloth pile each year than I can go through, so it always gets bigger and never used up.

I have a comparatively modest amount of yarn. Maybe 1/5th to 1/6th the volume I have of fabric. But I crochet a lot more than I sew. With the exception of a few balls of lace weight yarn (those take a really long time to go through) I think I have a good chance of using all or most of my yarn this year.

So I want to cut down on how much fabric I have, but I also want to increase the amount of yarn I have.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We'll said KathyB - think you have a good handle on what works for you!

SD - think I have found some plastic jugs that will work for storage for me too! Fortunately a friend saves all of her plastics for me in case I can use it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think you're spot on about having the right mix of stuff. I concluded I need to focus only on a few hobbies. Anything I had supplies for that I haven't actually learned to do after years of having the supplies, with the exception of scrapbooking, I got rid of. Anything I wasn't going to really love once it was finished, among the hobbies I kept, I got rid of for the most part. Round Two of dumping the stuff I like but don't love is coming up. More than anything, the key is to give yourself a big fat reality check and be realistic about what you will actually do.

If I can't find stuff, I have too much stuff. Period. That's another reality I've had to make myself face.

Yup, feeling anxious is a hoarder thing, IMO. But I think it gets better the more you purge, if you approach it in the right way, with a willingness to make changes.

Go through your fabrics and if you see things you don't absolutely love, let them go. If you're making things, do you have room for them when they're done? Do you have a need or purpose for them? If not, are you making them just because you can? And where will that end if so? With clutter merely shuffled from your sewing room out into the rest of your house, just in a different form? Be sure that's what you really want. If you're going to end up having to purge it later because the house is too full of completed projects, then it's a waste of your time.

What do you do with all your crocheted stuff? Do you have room for it and a use for it once it's made up? Or again, is it just going to be clutter in a different form?

There's a lot to consider, for sure. You're the only one who can decided what hobbies and how much supplies are right for your situation.

For me, I'm in full-on purge mode. I have two or three little wooden storage things with tiny drawers in them. I have stuff in them and I like them, but I'm about to conclude they're not the right kind of storage. I also have one of those plastic multiple drawer storage things, and I'm thinking that needs to go, too, because the only place for it is in the bookcase and I need more space in there. I'm hoping I can clear out all three of those things and get rid of them completely. That would be great.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    Actually more is added to the recycled cloth pile each year than I can go through, so it always gets bigger and never used up.
    That's what was happening to me. I was buying fabric for a hobby business and not selling anything.The fabric piled up. I still have it. I had to stop.

It was hard to make myself stop buying. I used to shop for entertainment. I love to go to craft/fabric stores and browse. Finally I had to just stop going to the stores completely. It's like being on a diet in a pastry shop, I just can't handle the temptation.

Since 2010 I've been on a stash-busting quest. Trying to finish projects, trying to use what I already have and buying only necessities like thread or batting. But, like dieting, I do allow myself small treats from time to time. I just no longer binge on fabric.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    I think you're spot on about having the right mix of stuff. I concluded I need to focus only on a few hobbies. Anything I had supplies for that I haven't actually learned to do after years of having the supplies, with the exception of scrapbooking, I got rid of. Anything I wasn't going to really love once it was finished, among the hobbies I kept, I got rid of for the most part. Round Two of dumping the stuff I like but don't love is coming up. More than anything, the key is to give yourself a big fat reality check and be realistic about what you will actually do.

If I can't find stuff, I have too much stuff. Period. That's another reality I've had to make myself face.

Yup, feeling anxious is a hoarder thing, IMO. But I think it gets better the more you purge, if you approach it in the right way, with a willingness to make changes.

Go through your fabrics and if you see things you don't absolutely love, let them go. If you're making things, do you have room for them when they're done? Do you have a need or purpose for them? If not, are you making them just because you can? And where will that end if so? With clutter merely shuffled from your sewing room out into the rest of your house, just in a different form? Be sure that's what you really want. If you're going to end up having to purge it later because the house is too full of completed projects, then it's a waste of your time.

What do you do with all your crocheted stuff? Do you have room for it and a use for it once it's made up? Or again, is it just going to be clutter in a different form?

There's a lot to consider, for sure. You're the only one who can decided what hobbies and how much supplies are right for your situation.
    I am starting to feel quite a bit of anxiety just thinking about it.

It is not that I make things because I can. It make things because I enjoy making them. So even if just tossed them later, that does not invalidate it, because I recieved the joy of making them. After all most (non-craft) hobbies you only do them because you enjoy them.

Most of the stuff I make is clothing or accessories I make for myself, so it is used and worn. I make gifts occasionally, but not very often. I am relectuant to give much to my mother because she is a pretty severe hoarder. I suppose eventually the items will get worn out and tossed like other clothing. Or maybe recycled a second time. I have a twice recycled skirt at home.

But I think I stopped tatting because of this. I made a few things and thought what do I do with it? It does not match my home decore and it seems to delecate to sew on a shirt.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH, that was me about ten years ago. I rarely go into craft/fabric stores anymore either, even when I can. And I never go to browse anymore, and I used to love that. I don't browse online much either, and when I do, I try to keep what I already own in mind so as not to overload myself. It does creep in though. The worst for me is thrift stores because prices are low and there are so many things with so much potential it's hard to resist. I can always think of something to make with just about anything. I want to start the farmers market business in part to use up things, and I've had to buy things to have a good assortment, but I set up a spot for that fabric. It's full now, and I don't think I've bought anything for it since the space filled up. A big part of what filled the space is stuff I already had. I also bought carefully and only spent about $200. If I end up having to dump it all because it drives me crazy, I can afford to lose that even though I don't want to. It just about killed me to pack up Mom's sewing room and donate it almost all of it, because there were so many things I would have loved to have and I knew I just couldn't bring it into our overstuffed house, but I did it and I'm glad I did it. Almost all the stuff I did bring home from her place is stuff I plan to use for doll clothes, so it had a designated purpose before it ever hit our door.

I have the same problem with stuff like rags and plastic bags, collecting more than we can use . Well, I have a good supply of rags and bags now, so if we have clothes that are worn out or bags we don't need, they get tossed. We don't have space to keep all the rags, and we wouldn't live long enough to wear them all out anyway, so I refuse to keep them. I don't feel guilty, either. We use canvas bags all the time, and to be honest I can't figure out why we still end up with so many plastic ones. I do know we're still using some that we had when we bought our first campers in 2003. That's how crazy many bags we had.

I enjoy making things, too, and I used to buy a lot of clutter with plans to make things because it's fun. I have a long list of projects to do though, so I don't want to do make-work projects just to fill my time. For me, that's no longer fun and it frustrates me because all I can think about is the other, more useful stuff my time would be better spent doing. If I can't use it and/or don't love it, it's not worth my time anymore. Maybe that attitude is related to age, I don't know.

For me, the bottom line was I had to choose between my junk and my life. I want my life. Currently, I just feel trapped in a house that's constantly a mess, where we can't find things, where we buy new things we know we already own but can't find, where it's impossible to clean very well because of all the clutter. I just can't do it anymore. There has to be more to life than spending all my time trying to use up things, whether we need them or not, and then trying to find room for the things I've made, knowing we'll never use them because we don't need them. I have too many other things I enjoy doing to be owned by truckloads of stuff.

It's a personal journey, for sure, and what's right for me isn't always the right way for others, just like being a minimalist wouldn't be right for me. It used to be upsetting to let perfectly good stuff go, but I'm way past that now. It's still not that enjoyable, but it's very freeing because I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel now, and I'm so looking forward to having a normal house that we're not ashamed to let people visit.

I emptied the three wooden storage thingies and put them in the GW box, which is now full. Yea! Husby can get that out of here tomorrow. And I'm doing the happy dance! I found my Ginghers! They were in a little round tin with some assorted spools of thread. I have NO IDEA why. And to make it worse, that little tin has been sitting on the floor in the sewing room tripping me for years and for some reason I never looked in it. That scissor has been missing at least four years. My sewing room has just been so out of control for so long I can't even think about it without being mad at myself. The plastic drawer storage thing was only about half full. How dumb was that? I should have had that gone years ago, or else made better use of it. But Husby can have it for his office now. I hung up a small shelving unit on the end of the bookcase I just put in and put jars on that to use for storage, and I'm hoping I like that. Having that stuff in glass where I see it whenever I sew will help me remember I have it, so I'll use it when I need it.

Like every day, I wish I had gotten more done, but at the same time I'm happy with what I did accomplish.

I didn't get the last few boxes sorted, but it's still been a productive day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can you use some of the "to be recycled" pile to make into "yarn" and crochet with that? When I was looking for a pattern or my rug, I ran across some people doing that. I have seen some really really cute crocheted rugs. One was made from strips of old t-shirts and another was made from strips of old sheets. I bet almost any material would work.

One lady made herself rugs for her house using the strips of material. All the rugs matched the rooms. It was really cute. The rugs were of different shapes and sizes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That's a cute idea rugs do use up a lot of material. I have yet to enter my craft room as I am now working on the living room - progress is slow and steady!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have thought about doing that off and on. I think a rug takes up lots of fabric. For it to work it should all be stuff that is cloth to the same weight of fabric, and my stuff is more of a mixed bag. Well more like 5 mixed bags.

I might try some smaller projects like a bowl or a basket. I like some of the fabric bowls and baskets I have seen. The thing is that our home is kinda at capacity for decorative knick knacks. It might make a good potholder.

I made a small test one as coaster and one person who used it thought the surface was so bumpy the glass did not feel stable. I have a history of making coasters that do not work so well as coasters. They are more like craft projects that happen to be the size and shape of a coaster.

One of the issues there is that this kind of crochet becomes less portable because the "yarn" is very big and bulky. And a big part of the process is converting the item to yarn, which would be tricky to do on the go.

Not sure if I am being rational now or just making excuses.

Maybe I will give it a try this weekend.

In other news, I am not as far from some of the goals I was concidering for myself yesterday. I wanted to get my fabric storage down to 4 cubes. I have shelves set up in cubes so I think of how much space stuff takes up in cubes. I have 5 cubes plus a little extra that is overflowing on the floor. So maybe 5 1/2 cubes. So I only have to get rid of around 25% of the fabric. If I target the bulky stuff first, it seems pretty doable.

The cubes are about 14 inches a side, but some of them have 12 inch boxes inside to keep stuff from sliding out the front.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made a rug from crocheted T shirt strips once. I ended up throwing it out because I was constantly tripping over it. I don't know why. Maybe I did it wrong. It also was so stretchy it was always out of shape and just not a nice rug. Again, maybe I did something wrong. I liked the concept, though.

For the rugs I have started that I'll never finish now that I have a lifetime supply of really nice woven rugs, I've decided I'm going to make some stuff to sell from the strips and finish the one I have started from the squares. That will take care of a large tote and some boxes.

I was thinking about my to-do list just for sewing, and I'm overwhelmed all over again.

1. Modify AAR (Add A Room) for the camper. At least I don't have to make it from scratch this time.
    2. Truck seat covers. Ugh.
    3. Hawaii quilt.
    4. Rug.
    5. New bed pillows.
    6. New couch cushions and covers.
    7. Shade cloth for front windows.
    8. Cushion covers for camper.
    9. Screen door for camper.
    10. Lone Star quilt. I don't even know where that is at the moment.
    11. Modify shower tent for camper.

I'm sure there are more I'm not remembering. That doesn't include anything to sell, or any clothing or other projects I haven't thought of yet.

One thing at a time, I guess. First I need to get the sewing room in order before I worry about what I need to sew.

Page 5 of 128 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast