2014 Hobby Supplies Challenge: Use it or Lose it!
Page 1 of 128 12341151101 ... LastLast
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 2014 Hobby Supplies Challenge: Use it or Lose it!

I stole the description from last year because DC said it so well:

New year! New enthusiasm! Use it up! Use it all up! And if you can't use it up, find another way to get rid of it. Donations and give-aways count too!

Hobby supplies means materials for pretty much anything you enjoy doing. Fabric, beads, paint, yarn, quilt batting, building supplies if you love playing home improvement, scrapbook or jewelry making supplies, anything you need to use up and plan to have a good time doing it will count.

Come join us if those hobby supplies have accumulated! Those of us who were in it last year had a lot of fun. You are totally entitled to brag here about anything you use up, no matter how large or small, or even strange. This is the place!

Can I get a mod to sticky this?
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have alot of yarn and fabric to use! I need to learn how to use it well! I want to knit a blanket....and maybe sew a blanket for the puppy and kitty....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Clean slate! Thanks, CH.

I'm feeling a little more optimistic about getting my sewing room under control fairly soon. But I keep wondering how many totes and boxes I have lurking around that escaped the sewing room that I'll have to deal with after I think I'm done.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got a little work done on the signature quilt. One last seam and the top will be done.

I'm going to get out the next one, the pattern is called Winner's Circle, and see where I stand on that one. It's a different kind of quilt for me, using only two fabrics instead of being all scrappy. It's also a curved pattern, a little ambitious for me when I started it. I just hope I bought enough fabric at the time, because there is no replacing it now.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I still need to finish the Hawaiian quilt I started back in the eighties that I've been saying I'm going to finish for the past two years or whatever. Part of the problem is I don't have the right fabric to make the borders it needs and I'm not willing to sink any more money into it because I plan to just do a fast and dirty job of finishing it off and then wear it out. Which probably won't take long as long as we have a dog that sleeps on the bed. But I'll figure out something. I just want to do a quick channel construction on it and let it go at that.

Florida has a wind chill advisory out. Give me a break! Our weather guy can't believe it either. Wind chill was so bad here today most of the schools were closed. You can imagine how bad it has to be for that to happen up here. Air temp was minus 38 at our place this morning, so wind chill was probably at least fifty below.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - I shivered just reading your post. I can see why you're in no mood to work on a Hawaiian quilt. It's 40 here right now, but it looks like we might have another cold snap, lows in the 20s first of next week. Positively balmy, right?

CH - thanks for starting this again. I'm going to focus on it in a different way, not to use stuff up, but not to buy any more. Unless I master that, using it up does no good anyway since I make no headway.

I finished a crochet WIP over my holiday, a round ripple with a bulky blue and white brushed yarn, some of the JA closeout I got last summer. I started one with the green and white in a wave pattern that I am going to keep for myself, at least until eventually I get something I really want. However at the rate it's progressing, I'll be lucky if it's done before the cold weather departs for good for the year.

I've decided I am going to set aside the One Pound yarn for the present. I am tired of working it, and I would rather plow through some of the bulky and boucle first. Those are big skeins that take up a lot of storage room, and it works up fast on big hooks, so I think I'll feel like I'm making some real progress if I work through some of that. I regrouped in my storage cabinets and got all the One Pound stowed out of sight. I bought some large soft plastic totes that I have all the bulky in, up on top of the cabinets. That's an extremely dusty place, right in the line of fire of the ceiling fan, so it will keep it clean, and when they're empty, a long time from now, I can just fold them up and store them away.

The blue one used both skeins of that color, so it's gone. I have six of the green. It looks like what I'm making for myself will use about two and half of them, maybe three. I would really like for all this stuff to come out even. When I finish that one, I will probably, finally, start playing with the thread.

I also destashed one jigsaw puzzle. It was one I picked up on a cheap sale and it turned out to be too easy and not much fun, so I was happy to move it out. I worked a couple of others. One was the White Mountain pencil puzzle. Now that one was fun!

Pencil Collage - 1000pc Jigsaw Puzzle by White Mountain | SeriousPuzzles

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Count me in. I have lots to use up.

Winter plans are to work on the fake fur and the wool skirt.

The wool skirt shrank and felted so it is not wearable anymore. It was a thrift shop skirt so Ido not feel to bad about it. I will do some kind of felt crafts with it.

Also this year I want to use up my box of doiles. This is a box I bought. I use them for embellishments and accessories. I made a totebag with one of them yesterday.

I also want to work on yarn and fabric.

I will be doing origami this year, but the paper takes up so little space it is not so good for the use it up challange.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WB, D! I trust you had a relaxing vacation. The pencil puzzle looks fun and challenging. Sounds like you got a lot of crocheting done, too. It's supposed to get up to eleven degrees tomorrow. We're positively giddy with delight.

I've decided I'm going to use the hanging space in the big wardrobe for pattern storage. The problem I'm having is that nothing fits in there for containers. But I think I'll use some kind of temporary trays while I continue to try to figure it out. Maybe something will turn up, or else maybe summer will arrive and I'll just decide to build something.

The trays the patterns are in fit perfectly in the hanging space in the small wardrobe. The problem is the space isn't quite tall enough and there's no room to grow, meaning the patterns I got from Mom's place won't even fit in. So I'm going to use those trays for the doll clothes fabric I sorted today that doesn't have space.

I'm sure hoping I can make everything fit into that room without getting rid of too much stuff. I'd have plenty of space if I gave up the idea of making doll clothes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Welcome Hotprincess and Kathy! It's good to have some new people.

SD - I did have a wonderful vacation. The first four days the weather and apparently the stars aligned and they were relatively light pain days, so I got a lot of housework done of the moving around, reorganizing sort. My totally unfrugal cascade of presents to myself mostly arrived in that time too. The rice cooker is wonderful. The book that I was so appalled I actually spent $30 for is beyond spectacular. I love maps, and it comes with a BIG map, folded up like a roadmap, of Ankh-Morpork, the main city in the Discworld series. The book even gave three "walking tours" that were fun to trace out on the map. My other favorite was four ice trays I ordered on a whim, and I am very glad I did. They make tiny cubes, maybe 1/3 of an inch, and I love them. I never left the apartment for two and half weeks except to drive around to the complex office a couple of times to collect parcels, and to step out the front door to get the mail. My kind of vacation for sure.

I'm glad I enjoyed it because I came back to work to an email that one of the student workers will be leaving in a couple of weeks, which leaves only four until (if, please dear Lord, if) they let us replace him. That spreads us so thin that I never work with more than one person so I can never take off unless I am truly, seriously sick. I hope we can replace him and hire another, but we'll be running at least a month, I would guess with only four. If the director has to fight for it, it will be longer. We were not allowed to replace the last one who left.

And that's caught you up on my life away from FV.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Love your vacation Donna!

I am having a wonderful time just thinking og all the wonderful things I am going to useup!

I am looking for Scrabble tiles. If anyone has any to sell or donate, please let me know!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm happy about sewing room progress so far.

I have a box I can make two trays for patterns out of, so I'm going to do that to start with. I'm hoping I can sort a tote of scraps into the small wardrobe and get that emptied. Still have to build shelves in both wardrobes, but that doesn't sound like much fun when the daytime highs are below zero, so that might not happen for quite a while. I wouldn't mind so much doing the work, but it scares me to use power tools when it's that cold out. Stuff gets brittle in extreme cold. Probably it's not dangerous, but I always feel like it might be so I'd rather avoid it for now.

I'm going through some small drawers today and trying to condense those by half. If I can do that, I'll have six small empty drawers to put things into. That'll help. Making progress!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I looked over my new quilt project last night and it seems I bought the recommended yardage for the pattern so I am good there. I'm much farther along than I had thought. There are 6/20 large blocks made and pieces cut for another 7. I can't remember why I stopped working on it, but it must have happened about the time I went back to work full time.

Meanwhile I measured the yardage for the signature quilt again and calculated the backing. I should have a few inches left over. I am considering adding a narrow border to it. That would make it look better, but that would depend on 1. finding a border fabric that matches, and 2. having enough backing for the added width and length.

We are supposed to get up near freezing today which probably sounds like a heat wave to you SD, but it's %$#@! cold to me.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

To add insult to injury, the split second it gets above freezing here, it snows. We've been in that cycle for weeks now. Then the temp drops below zero again and we've got the crap that fell frozen onto the roads, but it's too cold for the salt to be effective and melt it. Not good. It's windy, snowing, and only 1 above zero. It sucks. We're currently under a Wind Chill Warning, Winter Weather Advisory, and a Wind Chill Advisory. Seems redundant to me but I guess the NWS thought it needed to be repeated.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have tons of yarn that I need to use up!I am currently making a crochet "throw" type blanket out of it.I am hoping to have this done by the end of the month.I will use it for a Christmas present for someone this year.Not sure who yet though.Then I have some yarn left over that I will be making my friend a baby blanket out of.She just had a girl <3 Her third in just a few years and sometimes the o=younger ones don't always get that homemade love like the first babies do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hibernate everyone hibernate! I need to look at patterns as I have some baby afghans to crochet and the yarn to do it! Or perhaps I will knit instead - love this type of choices!

I also need to finish the gnomes I was working on - now just where did I stash them? Only the bottoms and stuffing Togo!

Page 1 of 128 12341151101 ... LastLast