2015 Reading Challenge - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rebecca,

Cozy mysteries are great! Most of them are clean content and funny. Lots of authors and genre's to choose from.

Registered User Rebecca Blodgett's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay, I think my goal in 2015 will be to read an average of one book per week, so that would be 52 for the whole year. I'm going to count everything I read whether it's fiction or non-fiction and whether it's assigned reading for school or just for fun. (But I'll only count a book that I have to read for school if I read the whole thing. If I only have to read part of the book, I'll either not count it at all or finish it on my own.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've been rethinking how I'm going to do this challenge. I still want to focus it around work, but I'm not going to divide books between work and home. I'm going to challenge myself to read an hour during work downtime every day. I'll report monthly how I did on that.

I'm going to set my goal for the year at 144 books, 12 a month, including both reading and audiobooks. I've never counted how many I read for a whole year, but since I listen to audiobooks at least a few hours most days, I get through a lot of them. The real challenge here will be the discipline of keeping up with the count, something I've never succeeded in doing. I WILL do better at this next year!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I enjoy "boring" books too. Books that are feel good books or heart warming books. But not "emotionally moving" books.

I am reminded of a joke I saw in show. One of the characters is going to watch a movie she rented. She says, "the text on the box says it is emotionally moving." Her friend says "that means someone dies at the end." I hate books with sad endings.

Maybe that is why I enjoy reading self help books, they tend to have a lot of positive stuff in them. Some of them give examples of people going through problems, so it can be a mixed bag. Or I read a book about stress relief that feel a need to start with a chapter - or two - on why stress is bad.

The current book I am reading is called "bouncing back" which is about resilience. Resilience is the ability to recover quickly from bad/stressful events. The book I am reading can be summed up like this: You should meditate. Your should meditate a lot. I have over 70 meditation exercises in here. Many of them require a partner. You should do them all in order. You should master one before moving on to the next one.

As you may have picked up, it is not my favorite. There are few things I might try. Even if I have not done the dozens of exercises before them. One little snippet is that massaging the back of your neck (right under where your skull ends) is helpful in making you relaxed. It seems to work fairly well.

I have mixed feelings about self help books that seem to have a "you can improve your life but it will be hard" vibe. Are you supposed to be encouraging me? I can't tell. I also have mixed feelings about books that suggest it is easy but their "easy" plan is anything but. "You can improve your life with these 50 easy steps." Umm...easy would be giving me a few things I could do.
    KathyB

Registered User AspiringToBeFrugal's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm definitely on-board for this challenge! I need to read more this year and spend much less time on Facebook and other social media! My goal for the year is 40 books.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a mini challenge of trying to complete the book I am on by the end of the year. Perhaps I should put it in the 2014 reading challenge, but it would be a little late to jump into that. I do not know how many pages are in the book because of the electronic format. It seems pretty long though. I have a % done marker. I am only on 64%. Reading for an hour gets me less than 10% progress. I think it has a long bibliography/notes sections on the end, so I might be done with only around 85% read.

Tomorrow is only a half day at work, but almost everyone is on leave or teleworking so I should have lots of down time. I am hoping to get to at least 75% tomorrow.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I came really close. I am 74%. I think I have pretty good chance of finishing it this year.

In other reading news, I have downloaded a cozy mystery to my Kindle. I have read a little of it, but not enough to tell if I like it or not.

The main character seems a little bit snarky and the that can get annoying to me if it is over done. There is some funny bits so far though.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I read 22 books in 2014. I'd like to try and read 25 books, starting with the Outlander series.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If I can count audio books, I am in for 50 books this year. I listen to audio books on my way to/from work.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Novena's book done, now onto Thrifty-Not Cheap.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I haven"t read any in 2014 which is alarming as I used to be a big reader. Dh got me the new Stephen King book and I think I will start there. I dont want to set an amount just yet. I will start the challenge on the 6th after Ds leaves and after Dmoms Surgery consult appt.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    If I can count audio books, I am in for 50 books this year. I listen to audio books on my way to/from work.
    Yes, audio books count. A lot of people just don't have a lot of time anymore. A lot more have trouble with eyesight. Both good reasons
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have 1 1/2 chapters left of the book I am reading at work.

When I came in the morning I found out that my supervisor and most of the staff were out today. I thought I would finish the book today. It turns out I actually had a fair amount of work.

I am aiming for tomorrow.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maine Girl View Post
    Rebecca,

Cozy mysteries are great! Most of them are clean content and funny. Lots of authors and genre's to choose from.
    What are the genres within cozy mysteries?

Amazon does not have any subdivisions listed within cozy mysteries.

Do you have a source that recommends different cozy mysteries? Or do you just browse for them?

I have been picking from Amazon's free books which seem kind of hit or miss to me. Maybe the odds would be better with the paid books.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kathy, I go to cozymysteries.com they have all kinds of info on genre's and popular authors.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast