2015 Reading Challenge - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am joining in this year. I am going to set my goal at 52. We are going to try to watch less TV this year so that should free up some time. The book I am going to start with is Calling me home by Julie Kibler, which I am reading for a book club.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have finished the non-fiction books I was reading on being resilient.

Next week the non-fiction will go back to one half finished book on attitude I am reading.

I started one cozy mystery I did not care for. It was an Amish theme, but the main character was very mean spirited. There is a negative remark about pretty much everyone she meets. I do not personally know any Amish, but I would expect them to be kind, gentle people. I quit about a quarter of the way through.

I just finished reading another cozy mystery, Innocent in Las Vegas, which I liked. It is the start of a series featuring Tiffany Black as a PI. She is a likable character, but my favorite character is her grandmother. It started off a little slow, but the second half was good. I also like the character of Stone who shows up about halfway through. I am hoping he will be a reoccurring character in the series.

Right now I am about halfway through a book that is kind of so-so. I forget the name. I will probably finish it, but not get further books in the series.

Hmm...I was going to talk more about the non-fiction I am read. It is just that I did not think too much of my latest non-fiction book. Hopefully my other picks will be better.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

On the reading rack right now: Jonathon Strange & Mr. Norrell. Started it last year, but never finished it. Also, on audio: In Pursuit of Perfect.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

1/2 way through the Stephen King book. Rather constipated compared to his other books so far.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Still reading Thrifty-not Cheap. Read to dh in the car the other day he was surprised how useful white vinegar and baking soda can be.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Last night I started daring moves by linda lael miller. So far so good

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kathy B, Look up Joanne Fluke her Hannah Swenson mysteries. One of my favorite cozy mysteries series.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I read 35 books in 2014. I am almost finished with my first book. I am reading The Second Honeymoon by James Patterson.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am adding a bit to by challenge. I have a large book called Science by DK publishing. Some of you may recognize the publishers. They do cool non-fiction books for kids with lots of pictures. This is the grown up version. It still has lots of pictures, but the book is 512 pages. The pages are fairly large too. It is an overview or scientific discoveries. It is roughly chronological. It starts with fire and ends with gene sequencing. I want to read a little each week (maybe a few days a week) with the goal of finishing before the end of the year.

If this goes well I may pick up another big book for 2016. I have seen some cool ones on the Ocean and the Universe.

I will check out the Hannah Swenson series. I have just started one in the Helen Beck series. It looks interesting so far, but I have not gotten very far into it.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just finished my first book and now I am reading I Still Dream About You by Fannie Flagg.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I created a group on Goodreads for us if anyone is interested in joining.

I have a hard time remembering to update here but I always remember to update on GR when I get a stack from the library. I hardly ever record summer "fluff" books I've read(Kindle downloads)since they're pretty much all the same. Couple meets, clue some complication, couple falls in love despite complication, complication resolved, couple lives happily ever after. Just different settings/names/details. Ha!

Anyway, I read 81 books in 2014. I think my goal was 100. I'll aim for 100 again this year.~
    Last edited by nuisance26; 02-05-2015 at 11:51 AM.

Registered User AspiringToBeFrugal's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm editing my goal by just a few...rather than 40, I'm going to say I'll read 36. I think three books a month is more realistic and doable. I have completed my first book, "The Christmas Cookie Club," already. It was OK...maybe a 5.5 out of 10.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

First ones of the year:

Gerald Durrell. Menagerie Manor. A favorite author, always fun.
    Terry Pratchett. Soul Music. Audiobook. Not a favorite in the series, but I hadn't listened to it in a long time.
    Sy Montgomery. Birdology. An interesting book on six kinds of birds - chicken, cassowary, hummingbird, hawk, pigeon, crow. Nice nature writing. Won't set the world on fire, but a very enjoyable read.

I've decided to try to read through a lot of my physical book library to cull it and not have to move so many later in the year. Birdology is a probably a keeper; the Durrell, maybe. I enjoyed it, but like some of his other better. With a few exceptions, I haven't read his things for decades, so it's nice to be able to revisit some of them again.

Registered User AspiringToBeFrugal's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Completed my next two books, one - Waiting For Eli: A Father's Journey From Fear to Faith - last night, and the other - Eli's Reach - this morning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am on my second book Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children. It was picked as the January read for another book club I am in. My first book was The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen. I was picking a first in a series book for January being the first month of the year. The Surgeon is the first book of the Rizzoli & Isles series. I liked it except I thought it odd that Isles was not in the book.
    I'm enjoying Miss Peregine's Home For Peculiar Children. Very interesting!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast