2015 Reading Challenge
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 2015 Reading Challenge

Another thread that interest for 2015 was expressed for. Anyone up for this one tell your goal for the year ( or month ) and what you're reading or listening to. Audiobooks are counted If you'd like you can tell a little about the book/CD and if you think others might also like it.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Count me in!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am up for this challenge

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am in.

I have some books in progress I may or may not finish before 2015. How you plan to count books that are started before 2015?

I am doing a little variation of this for myself. I really like reading, so the base challenge would be about as challenging for me as eating more chocolate.

So I am going to challenge myself by reading more at work.

A little bit of background will help this make more sense. At work we have a training resource with a bunch of books we can read on-line for free. These are all non-fiction books: motivation, time management, communication skills, leadership skills and various self help topics and work related how to books. I have a few of them that are on my official learning plan for the year. I would like to use more of my spare time at work to read some of these books. Some are audio books so I may listen to one or two as well.

I am setting a goal to read an average of one a month. (Some month are busier than others so it might not be a book a month.)

I will be posting a bits and pieces of the books as I read them. Since they are all non-fiction, I do not have to worry about spoilers.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    I am in.

I have some books in progress I may or may not finish before 2015. How you plan to count books that are started before 2015?

Kathy audio counts And if it's started BEFORE 2015 I say count it. I doubt if anyone else would object to it.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't do much fictional reading. My husband, however, will start a novel and can't put it down.
    If I do choose a book to read it is usually a self help book of some kind or other nonfictional reading (journal articles, blogs, news reports etc.) I read the first chapters of most of the books and then skim the rest of it for the main points. Right now I'm reading the Daniel Plan -40 days to a Healthier Life.
    I should have my doctorate in Health,Nutrition and Fitness by now with all the researching and reading I've done on these subjects, along with nursing school classes. Too bad I don't live by what I know will help me become the healthiest version of myself.
    The Daniel Plan is cowritten by Rick Warren (minister), hence the book is christian based. No matter your faith/beliefs it will still provide you with very good information on improving your life. For the basic principles of the book go to The Daniel Plan
    I'd like to join this challenge. Nice way to share what we have read and if it inspired us in some way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was wondering what types of books everyone reads. I have spells where I read self-help books. I also like true crime books. But the majority of my reading is made up of mystery/suspense/thriller books. I like twist endings and when something completely unexpected happens that surprises me.
    I read bestselling authors but am always on the lookout for lesser known ones. It's fun to "discover" a new or new to me author. Especially if they have several books out.
    I have a Kindle and borrow books from the online library and also get free ones from Amazon. I still go to the library but nowhere near as much as I used to. I would rather hold a real book but it's just gotten so easy to hold the little lightweight Kindle. And I love having a bunch of books to choose from, being able to look words up right when I am reading and the highlighting notes feature is the neatest thing ever. I love being able to save passages with barely a moment's stop in reading.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like to read a variety of books. Mostly fiction. I read murder mysteries, cozy mysteries, ghost stories, historical fiction and romance. It all depends on the mood I am in at the time of picking the book. This year I have read a lot of new to me authors, and have been pleasantly surprised. I also like to read books in a series.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I often start this and drop out because I'm so bad at counting things over time. But KathyB has given me an idea. I have tons of downtime at work - in fact, as some of you know, it's mostly downtime and I'm amazed they pay me to do it. It seems like my job is mostly just being here to keep the library doors unlocked at night. I have a hard time settling in to read here and usually end up just frittering away the time mostly surfing online, which is NOT a frugal activity. So I will set my main goal to read more at work - I'll say three books a month. I'm retiring at the end of November or mid-December, but I'll leave it at 36 for the year. I may fail miserably but I'll try. I'm only here for about a week and a half before I'm off until the first of the year, so I may start now to make up for the time I'll miss next year when I quit. I'll probably read more non-fiction at work so I can leave it without going crazy wondering what's going to happen next when I'm off and can't read it.

I'll try to count other books/audiobooks as well. I listen to a lot of audiobooks while I crochet so I get in a lot of reading, one way or another during the year.

I read both fiction and non-fiction, but don't care for mysteries or thrillers. The best is Terry Pratchett's Discworld series and read them over and over and over - it's an addiction. I love his characters so much I just want to spend time with them, and as often as I have read them, I still laugh out loud at some of the dialogue, even if I can recite it before I get to it. So those titles will come up over and over.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Actually finished The Daniel Plan, now to implement some of what I learned. Detoxing from caffeine a start, keeping hydrated with water. Adding 5 vegies a day to my diet will be my next nutritional goal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm starting to get some books lined using Amazon Wish List named Kindle, wishlist on my digital library site and GoodReads want to read list. So including any specific book reading, I have my places all staked out so I can immediately begin reading another book or know where I can search for one f I'm participating in a monthly discussion. I also have a Kindle board on my Pinterest

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Started spiritual book , Novenas . Will help me in goals of reading more and increasing time with God in prayer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I do like to read the non-fiction self help type of books. I tend to go with spurts with that.

At home I am nearly finishing re-reading The Building Blocks of Personality which is based on the Myers Briggs Personality typing. One of my special interests is reading about personality type systems. I have read about the DISC system and the enagram (not sure if that is spelled right) systems, but I think my favorite is the Myers Briggs.

At work, I am reading books about resilience and books about attitude.

For non-fiction I generally read fantasy with some science fiction and mystery. I thin the mysteries I like would be called cozy mysteries. I like books that are not too dark, but sometimes it seems like that gets hard to find. Dystopias and dark fantasy seem to be the in thing. I have enjoyed the Discworld books. I like touches of humor in my books. But I feel like my sense of humor does not mesh with a lot of other people. Many things I read that are supposed to be funny, I do not find that funny.

More and more, I find myself drifting toward books that are kind of a feel good, comfort reading kind of thing.

I enjoy a little romance in my books, but am a little leery of books labeled romance. I want romance, not erotica. I want relationship building, not page after page of how hot some guy is.

I plan to talk mostly about my non-fiction books, but I may have some talk about my fiction reading too. (Although my challenge is for the non-fiction.) It is challenging for me to talk about fiction books without spoilers.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

At the moment I am reading a Christmas cozy mystery. I have giggled a lot with this book...I love books that can make me laugh.

Registered User Rebecca Blodgett's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh my goodness, I'm so excited now! I used to read a lot when I was younger, but I sort of grew out of it when I outgrew middle grade books and grew into young adult ones. I just couldn't seem to find any books that were for my age group that I was interested in since I'm not into romance (a little is okay, but I don't want it to be the main theme, and it has to be "clean" romance) and I hate darkness/horror/suspense when I'm reading. I always thought that I liked "boring" books. Now I know that I just like cozy mysteries!

I just googled "cozy books" and found a bunch of books I'd like to start reading. If anyone here is Christian or doesn't mind reading things from a Christian viewpoint, I found out that quite a few GuidePosts books seem to fit my niche. Grace Chapel Inn Series and Home to Heather Creek to name a couple.

So thank you, Maine Girl and KathyB! Can't wait to start reading!

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast