2015 Use It Up Challenge - Page 2
Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It is finally getting around to posting pictures day.

Perhaps my New Years resolution should be getting better at posting pictures. I will try for more tomorrow.

Well, two picture anyway. But I did post something under the recycled thread.

This is a scarf I made. I crochet the scarf then brushed the yarn out with a pet brush to make it look fur like. The top is the finished scarf, the bottom shoes it before it was brushed. Also in the bottom picture were sample I made from other yarn. Some of them look nicer to me, but the yarn I went with was the easiest to crochet.

2015 Use It Up Challenge-brushed-crochet-scarf-picture.jpg
    2015 Use It Up Challenge-brushed-crochet.jpg
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's a nice effect, Kathy. It looks so warm and cozy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    Another year, and still stuff to use up! It's easy not to over buy boring things like toilet paper and socks, but when it comes to our hobbies and things we enjoy doing, the shopping is almost as much fun as the projects themselves. In this challenge we focus on using supplies on hand as much as possible, rather than buying more.
    I have to add here that my socks are not boring. I have striped socks and solid color socks. I have socks with cats, socks with fish, sock with cherry blossoms, sock with gears, sock with a ballerina pattern. You can peek over at the recycled challenge thread for a pair of socks converted to arm warmers. I spend about $100 a year on socks. Not as much as craft supplies, but probably third after art/craft supplies and books.

I am on a roll with pictures. I am doing pictures on the recycle thread too. This is some pink/fuchsia yarn I over dyed with tea. The effect is subtle. You might need to click to enlarge the picture to notice it. The bright color is the undyed yarn, the darker slightly more subdued color is the tea dyed color.

2015 Use It Up Challenge-tea-dyed-yarn-3.jpg2015 Use It Up Challenge-tea-dyed-yarn-2.jpg2015 Use It Up Challenge-tea-dyed-yarn-1.jpg
    KathyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy, that's true. There are lots of interesting socks in the world. I was writing from my perspective though. I bought socks last four or five years ago for one last try, and they were pretty boring socks. I just can't wear them. After I've had them on an hour, any socks, my ankles break out and itch like fire. It takes a prescription cortisone cream to tame it and be able to sleep for the itching. You must love Dobby in the Harry Potter books - now that's someone who truly values socks!

I looked the arm warmers you made from them on the re-cycle thread. I would never have thought of that. I also have to say that I have never owned a pair of long socks in my whole life. Socks are a whole new world.

I reached the half way point on the red/white/black lapghan today. I'm having a hard time motivating myself to work on it. I'm thinking I need a change of craft, but if I stop now and pick up something else again, probably cross stitch, I'll never get back to it. On the other hand, this was a self-imposed goal. There's no reason I HAVE to plow through the One Pound, except that I wanted to have less to store when I move, and I am tired of the One Pound and just want it not to be there. I thinking though that perhaps I should give myself a couple of months of cross stitch and then try to make myself go back to it. I've just suddenly hit the burn out wall with crochet. After I finish this one, I may take a break.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought two strings of clear LED Christmas lights at full price today at Ace Hardware, $10 per string of fifty. The clerk was so nice he went up on the fourth floor to dig them out for me. I stuffed them in the Coleman lantern and really like that now. I'm hoping it'll give off a lot more light now. I have four Colemans and two antique kerosene lamps to tinker with, so I might be back to Ace to buy more. I was hoping to find some close-outs but I'm too late in the year, I guess. But the quality of the LEDs is much better than the usual string lights, and of course they use a lot less power, so I decided $10 was fairly reasonable, all things considered.

We liked the colored lights in that lantern too, so might use those in another light or two sometime.

So technically I guess I added to the stash by buying the lights, but buying them made something we had no use for useful to us, which will lead to us eventually destashing them, so maybe I can count it as using something up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am a wicked, wicked person. My stash is going to grow because I was so bored Thursday night that, against my better judgment, I looked at ebay which is guaranteed 100% fatal to stashbusting. Almost the first thing that came up was a wildflower pattern from the UK, ending tomorrow. Postage is $6 something, but for as many patterns you want. I checked her other listings and oh my, so many I loved and have never seen before. Her patterns are pretty much $1.50-2.50, so not bad. I painfully narrowed it down to seven, and despite a horribly guilty conscience will order them, or at least 6. One ebay won't let me put in my cart, giving me only the option to buy it now with separate postage, so I have an email out to the seller. They are a nice cat, a fun cat, oriental butterflies, Japanese cranes (I have no cranes and have been on the watch for a good pattern), geese amid colorful flowers, the wildflower pattern. The one that ebay is being so cranky about is a collection of three small Christmas birds - an owl I'm in love with, a cardinal, and a UK robin that has different coloration from ours.

There is another temptation, Zweigart mint 14 count. It is a pretty green - one site calls it paler than DMC 955, so it would be a nice color and I have a lot of patterns that would look good on it. It's been in my watch list all last year, and the seller is down to three pieces of it. It's a discontinued color, so I think I'm going to get a piece of that too. I would have to actually see it, but I think I would like to do those three small birds on it.

An ebay funny. I was adding things to the cart today, hit the birds problem, and left to do other things. When I opened it again, it made me sign in again (?) and promptly decided I was Australian. It gave all the currency in Australian amounts and the greeting at the top of the page was G'day, Donna! What? So I closed it, tried again, and it then decided that maybe I wasn't Australian after all. Not that I would mind, but it was making shopping rather problematic.

Shopping for cross stitch. A sure sign I really am burned out on the crochet. I think I'm just going to have to take all that yarn with me. I'm really getting antsy to cross stitch again. Maybe I'll wait until I get the new patterns in and start the wildflowers that first caught my eye.

I think I'll take the Not One Penny of crafts out of my signature. However, it did last until January 10, and that's pretty good actually!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This morning I made a bargain with myself. I will have time to finish the current lapghan before the patterns come, probably, so that will be done. After that, I will crochet during my leisurely morning cup of tea, and then I can cross stitch the rest of the time.

I've decided I will start with the little owl in the bird trio.
    3 CHRISTMAS BIRDS DESIGNS OWL ROBIN RED CARDINAL CROSS STITCH CHART ONLY | eBay

I found out the problem I was having with the cart. The birds were actually listed on the UK ebay, though I could see all of her patterns through the link to the store. We decided that I should order that one through the UK site and the others through ours and she would drop the shipping charge for them, so it all worked out and soon they will be on the way. I had never really thought of checking the UK site - there are some nice patterns available there that I don't see here, probably out of their magazines. It's worth remembering.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Awwww. What a cutie! That should be a fun one.

I've been contemplating the boat trailer we need to refurb and remodel. I hope we'll have time to do it this spring.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been on a tear about rustic lamps lately. We loved the little red one-mantle with the Christmas lights in it, so today I stuffed another string of lights in the green two-mantle one and love that too. Husby's going to pick up a third string of lights for the other red lantern tomorrow and that'll complete the grouping I want to put up over the TV. I'm tickled to get such a cool-looking, unique TV light for a mere thirty dollars.

Husby dragged in two old kerosene lamps from the garage today. I had forgotten we even owned the one and don't know where it came from. It's basically a cool wire cage with a small fuel tank. It has a great old patina that just needed some light cleaning, so I did that and it's drying now. The only thing wrong was it's missing the glass globe. But I discovered one of my vintage wide mouth pint jars is a perfect fit and I like how it looks. I stuffed the jar full of a string of multi-colored Christmas lights and, if it fits, I'll put it on the fireplace mantle just to look pretty. Not bad for a total freebie! So cute and unusual.

The second old lantern looks more traditional and it's in rough shape, but when spring comes I'll paint it and pretend it's not rusted right through in places. Since it's in such bad shape I might just wire it for one of those 'flame' bulbs since I have nothing to lose if it gets ruined. But it'll probably be a while before I get to that. I should set up a paint booth in a cardboard box and have at it. I wonder if it would make me sick. I guess I could put it on the stove, since we pushed through and got the stove fan vented last fall. ~so happy~

I'm still trying to figure out what to hang the three Colemans from. I have to try to hide the remote control for them, because there's no way to put a switch on all three of them. The cords aren't very long on the lights, so they will be plugged into the remote which has three receptacles. It's ugly, but it does a great job. It looks like this:

This whole mess has to be up at the ceiling and I have to figure out how to camouflage it somehow. Maybe a canoe paddle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes! I found a canoe paddle I think I can make work to hang the lanterns. Now if I can just figure out wiring so it won't show any more than it has to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm stalled on the lantern project. The LED light cord is too short to reach the top of the lantern handle where the hook will be, so I think I'm going to have to rewire. I'm debating the best way to do that. That's okay, since I want the canoe paddle to be hung at just the right angle so it matches the TV stand below it, and the whole thing has to work with the shelves I still might put above the LR windows. Have to make a decision and quit procrastinating about that idea, too.

I just rearranged my whole pantry. It's amazing what becomes interesting and seems like a top priority when a deadline is looming and writer's block has dug its heels in like a stubborn four year old. Pathetic. But on the plus side, now I'll have space for the two cases of tomatoes that are stashed under the pool table at the moment. We go through so many I buy a lot of them when the prices reach their annual lows.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow, not much happening on here! The doctor did give me a work excuse, but I had to earn it. She decided that what was going on with my foot was that when I went to the ER in early July to have the broken glass removed, they missed some and it had worked it way to the surface. So I was sent over the wound center, where, instead of healing a wound, they gave me one, which they can subsequently heal. It's a great business model if you can make it work - lol. Now I'm back to square one with a hole in my foot again. I go back tomorrow for them to look at it. I wonder if I could wheedle a few more days? Ok, not likely.

I'm still not finished with the lapghan. I have about 15 more minutes of crocheting and then the ends to weave in. I was going to do it yesterday morning while I listened to part of Car Talk and Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me. I can usually roll out of bed for in time for that, but yesterday I slept through it all. So maybe next Saturday. After that, no more crocheting for a while. I am just totally burned out on it.

So I spent the week cross stitching, and did a cute baby bluebird. Usually I'm not into cute, but I have several in the To Be Done lineup at present. I found the pattern book listed on ebay (I already had it, so it's not a new purchase). If you look at the second photo, it's the one in the upper left corner - the fledgling sitting on trailing flowers. The flowers were a pain to do.

Birds Favorite Perch Cross Stitch Patterns 8 Designs by Carolyn Wright Bluebird | eBay

The owl I planned to do next hasn't arrived yet from the UK, so last night I started this one. Fortunately I found one listed so I could show it. I wish it were a brighter photo. Also, I'm doing it on very soft blue/white so I won't be stitching in the blue sky which is darker than I would choose - it will lighten the picture up. I'm about half finished with the grass. I got through three audiobooks and one of them was Dickens' Martin Chuzzlewit - I cross stitched a lot!

CROSS STITCH CHART CATS AND BUTTERFLIES CHART MARGARET SHERRY CUTE CHART | eBay

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's been a ghost town here lately. CH hasn't posted for a long time. I hope she's doing okay.

Sorry about your foot. I hope they got it all fixed up now.

Those are both cute x stitch projects. The kitties remind me of our cat, Fat Cady, who is in my avatar. She lays like a speed bump on the living floor, big white belly and paws up. She's such a character. She has a foot and shoe fetish and thinks she can fit into Husby's shoes. If we're sitting somewhere and wiggle a foot, she runs right over to rub on it. Right now she's laying in front of the fire with her face and feet shoved into Husby's shoes. She just cracks us up.

Got my column done and product pics taken, so that's out of the way.

Yesterday I purged the big kitchen cabinet in the back porch, forgetting I had already purged it. Husby decided he was okay letting go of two of the three sets of his parents' and grandparents' china that he was adamant we had to keep less than a year ago, and I sorted some other stuff, so I ended up weeding out four good-sized boxes of stuff for GW. The remaining set fit into the little corner china hutch in the kitchen, so now I have some empty space in the back cabinet and hopefully, I'll be able to put some of the canning stuff that's in the kitchen out there. It's nice to be down to two sets of china now, one from each side of the family. It's amazing how much there is to get rid of even in places that have already been purged. Can't wait to get this stuff out of here. I've warned Husby that Round One of purging is just the beginning but he doesn't believe it. I think he'll understand it later. I still have way too many small serving dishes but I'm okay for now. Round Three will help take care of that problem.

Husby has shredded a big black trash bag o'crap and filled up quite a few boxes of paperwork to recycle Wednesday. He called me into his office earlier to show off the empty floor space he's created in there. It's impressive! He also got rid of the five foot high column of boxes of papers that was cluttering up the hallway. He says he doesn't feel like he's getting anywhere, but I think it's because he has cleared out all the boxes that were behind his chair when he sits at his desk, while the gigantic mess that's in his office closet is in front of him. So it doesn't look like progress because that mess hasn't improved. He seemed to think that might make sense so he's starting on the closet now.

I need to get back into purging mode myself. I should just take one room at a time and go through everything, but I seem to jump from one spot to the next based on what's bugging me at the time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I forgot my other woo-hoo moment! The floss is tamed. I hated having so many of the floss boxes; it was a pain getting them all out to pull thread or put it away, and the one I needed next was always at the middle or bottom of the stack (how does that happen?) I found these at Joann's for half price last week.

Creative Options Thread Organizer Clear at Joann.com

I bought one and loved it so much I went back, despite my foot, and bought another the same day. ALL the floss fits in two of them, with space left over. I even had room for the leftover floss from kits that I may use up in plain embroidery some day. They are sturdy, easier to open than the standard boxes, and shut securely. I am in love! With a plastic box. That's sad, isn't it? It was worth $15 to find a home for all ALL the floss and free myself forever from the other boxes, at least for floss. Two of them are being used for the fusible beads now. But all the floss in two easy boxes. Happy dance!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yea for finding what works for you! We have ten or twelve of the regular kind and just set them on the shelf like books, with the numbers on labels on the "spines". Works for us.

I have a small Plano tackle box that's double-sided like that. I bought it for beads but I'm always afraid the bottom side will open up and dump seed beads all over. Wouldn't that be a mess! I wonder what else I could do with that little box. It's a nice box, just not right for the purpose I intended. I hadn't thought about that little box in a long time.

Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast