2015 Use It Up Challenge - Page 3
Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have decided to go on an internet diet. The general plan is to spend no more than 1 hour a day on the internet, not counting work related things. The second part is to be more conscious of what I am doing on the internet. For example, I have a few forums which I count as quality internet time – here, Ravelry and an art group I am on. Mindless internet browsing would not be quality time. Neither is browsing things I am not planning to get on the near future. For example, I am not planning to get any yarn this year, so I will not be spending time looking at different yarn sites.

I will still try to post here at least every other day, so you may not notice much difference.

I was looking through my fabric to be recycled stash. I may pair it down some more. Some stuff I look at and I am not sure what I would even do with it. There is also some clothes hiding in there that fall into the “might fit me if I am successful on this latest attempt to lose weight” category. I may get rid of them. Since I get my clothes from thrift stores anyway, it is not a big expense to pick up “new” clothes if I lose weight.

I have started weaving. The plan is to use fabric strips from some on the clothing for that. I will probably alternate that with regular weaving. I am doing my first weaving. I want to get some more practice weaving with yarn before I try other things.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Right now I am thinking about how to use up my sock stash from the recycled clothing pile. For me, socks tend to wear our in the feet with the rest of the material still good. I have three ideas planned.

1) Make more arm warmers.

2) Make "tarn" with them. Tarn is short for T shirt yarn. It is made with cut strips of T shirts. I plan to make something similar to the paracord bracelets using the tarn instead of paracord.

3) Unraveling. Unraveling makes a fairly thin yarn. I may ply it with another yarn or combine it with another yarn. I unraveled on pair and enjoyed the process. However, I have not made anything with the unraveled yarn. I want to make something with it before I decided to unravel more.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy - good for having a plan! I love the on-top-of-things feeling when I have an actual plan to use things up. I've done it with making the yarn "kits" with the last of the One Pound. They are on indefinite hold though. It's time to cross stitch again.

I rather like having no internet at home. I spend way too much time online at work, but then there's nothing else in particular to do. I am trying to read more here. When I'm off for an extended time, it can be a nuisance not having access to it, but mostly I don't miss it at all.

I was off an extra day this week for the MLK holiday. That boots my regular days off to Tuesday/Wednesday. It was welcome. Though between holiday vacations and my stupid foot saga, I have hardly been at work at all since before Christmas.

I got a good start on the butterfly-chasing cats while I was off. I have the grass and flowers finished, which was fiddly broken up color bits, but the rest should go more easily.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Gold star for me! I worked on the boring old lapghan today for an hour. I finished off the last row and made a start on weaving the tails. Then I got sucked into a book and that was that for today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can you weave the ends in as you finish each section? Then it would be less of a chore.

I haven't used anything up, but I think I have a handle on the bike trailer refurb, and I planned a vacation we won't get to take if road restrictions are lifted early and we're first in line with our contractors to get the driveway fixed. I'll happily cancel a vacation to get a new driveway and/or the new concrete laid to divert water away from the garage and driveway.

I've been slowly organizing my Tupperware I use to help me with portion control, too. I think I'm going to really like having that handy in the kitchen island.

I washed a mountain of plastic dishes and discovered a counter underneath. Who knew? If only I could find the stove now. I wish I was a better housekeeper but there are so many other things to do that are actually interesting and a necessity of a more permanent nature.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - I agree with you on the housekeeping! Add in the arthritis into the pot with all the more interesting things I could be doing, and it gets about a 1 star rating. On a good day. I just keep muttering the "when I retire" mantra. It actually will be easier then, because I will have more time and will have a better shot at more or less keeping up with it. Also, if the house goes through, it should be easier to take care of and keep uncluttered than the apartment. I kept ease of upkeep in mind in the planning. My kitchen now is nearly always a disaster zone. Often, it's not really many dishes, but it is so tiny, that it doesn't take many to make it it look the dish washing area in a cartoon restaurant.

I used to do the ends as I went, but I've pretty much stopped doing that, except on round ripples. If I have to backtrack, as too often I do, it is very hard to frog. At times, I've even had to cut. I weave so that stays woven - a good thing unless I later need it to be unwoven. It's a little tedious, but if I have something interesting to listen to, preferably something funny, it's not too bad.

I got another star for this one. I've used up all the One Pound scarlet. Woo-hoo!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Having moaned about being burned out on crochet, I just bought a pattern. I've been wanting to make a poncho, the old, not the modern fancy-dancy "fashion" ponchos, but a revisit to the good ol' 70's hippie style. I found this one on Ravelry, and after thinking about it for a while, I bought it tonight. I plan to use some of my I Love This Yarn stash. It's a nice yarn for wearables, and now is the time to do it while I have a choice of colors, even though it's a real hit and miss choice. I'll play around with them on Monday and find some.

I also liked that this came with a wide variety of sizes to work to, that gives me more confidence I can make it fit properly.

Maybe this will re-energize the crocheting.

Ravelry: Easy V-Shaped Poncho Sized XS to 4X pattern by D Goldoff YarnDesignsByDavira

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nah, the more space you have, the easier it is for clutter to take over. Our camper is always very neat. There just isn't any space for it to be otherwise. The house, that's a totally different story.

I think I need a tatted pincushion. Don't ask me why. Like I have no UFOs that need to be dealt with. What I should do is drag out the beaded wolf bib I've been working on for fifteen years at least.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nice colors on the poncho. Remember the old ponchos that were just a giant granny square with the tassels on the front and back corners? You shouldn't have any trouble finding good colors for that pattern. Lots you can do with that.

I was just looking at Rav, too. I don't know why they don't have much for tatting patterns. Kinda disappointing.

I need to challenge myself to work only on UFOs this year. Yeah, that'll happen. But I should try to prioritize them.

I've been slowly organizing my T-ware I use for portion control. It should help to have it all corralled in one place along with my food scale. I donated two sets of the IL's china to GW yesterday, which in a roundabout way made space for the T-ware. I didn't think that would bother me that much. We have no use for it and I still have one of their sets plus my mom's wedding set. More than enough for people who never use china. We're getting into the stuff now that will be harder to part with, but we have to bite the bullet and just let it all go. I'll be better in a few days.

One of the documents Husby found in his dad's stuff was a letter from the Los Angeles PD regarding Husby's uncle's murder in 1964. It's still an unsolved case. We shredded the letter and now I wish we wouldn't have. Not only did Husby's uncle not get any justice, but all his siblings are dead, he had no children, and now we've destroyed the last information about him. I'm thinking I should contact the LAPD and see if there is any way to get any info about his case or at least a copy of the letter we shredded, if it's even available anymore.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I actually don't like the colors in the pattern, but I'll do better. I have a lot of a blue gray called summer sky. To me, that should be a light blue, but this is more like light storm cloud gray. I don't understand the color name at all. Maybe that's why they were selling it all in the closeout bin some years ago. I also have a fair amount of one called linen, a neutral leaning to pinkish beige rather than cream. I also have a tiny bit of a light brown called almond. As browns go, it's a pleasant one and would look good with it, I think. If that is still available, I might use a coupon to pick up another skein of it. Or, I might go RH after all. There is a newish variegated called dove that is mixed grays. I don't know if I have enough of it, but I could get another skein if I needed it. I think it would look good with the charcoal. I want this one to be rather neutral. If I like pattern, I might make a more colorful one later. Or maybe a colorful one now. Who knows? It's however the wind is blowing when I start it.

The only knitting project I ever completed except for a scarf was a poncho. I never do things the easy way. I worked a design into it using a bunch of bobbins for the design colors. It's a wonder I finished it at all. It was definitely not a beginner knitter's project.

I'm reading Slim by Design. You're right. It is an interesting book. Thanks for the recommendation. But I'm still going to have a white kitchen - or as near as I can get to it!

Surfed ebay from boredom. Bought nothing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Scroll down of the linked pages to see the swatches.

Dove - in the skein it doesn't look that brown to me: Super Saver Economy Yarn | Red Heart

Macaw: Super Saver Economy Yarn | Red Heart

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've always been fascinated by those news magazine shows that do the same kinds of experiments with people and food. It's amazing what an impact something as simple as the size of the plate or the shape of the glass has on how many calories we eat. And I know it's true. We have a contemporary set of dishes with the platter-sized dinner plates, salad plates, and bowls. We use the salad plates as dinner plates and store the dinner plates in the high cabinet over the stove because we don't have much use for them. The bowls hold at least four cups. Who needs to eat four cups of anything all at the same time? I use the bowls frequently because when I make my WW lunches, I usually put the lunches in the fridge 4-6 servings at a time, with pie plates on them for lids. But I often use my smaller Corningware single serve casseroles as bowls, too. I split up everything by measuring the proper amount for each serving into each bowl. The Corningware dishes look plenty full. The food in the bowls from our set looks pathetically skimpy, but of course it's the exact same amount of food. I know if we were dishing it up out of the pot and not measuring, we would most likely be eating at least one cup more of whatever food we're having at the time. It's just nuts! It's so easy to fool the eye that Husby used to complain because my Corningware dish had 'so much more' food in it than his regular bowl, and again, it was the same amount. We really do eat with our eyes, and our eyes are telling us we don't have enough food on our giant size dishes because they're nowhere near full. So we load them up some more, and of course we eat it all because most of us think a serving is whatever our dishes will hold, and our dishes now are made to hold way too much food. It was hard to adjust to using the big soup bowls for my WW foods because I'd eat and my idiot brain would be insisting since the bowl wasn't full, I was still hungry and didn't get enough to eat. Luckily I got used to it so it's no problem now. It took a while though, before my brain got to be smarter than my eyes. I don't like using those bowls but sometimes the Corningware is all in the freezer so I have to.

It's a pet peeve of mine that I can't find normal dishes that are microwave safe. We use Husby's parents' dishes from the 50s in our camper, and that's exactly the set I would love to have in the house. The plates are maybe eight or nine inches. The cereal bowls hold two cups. The sauce bowls hold a half cup. The coffee cups, which I trashed because they were so stained they couldn't be cleaned, held just one cup. The dessert plates are maybe four inches. Why have dishes grown so much over the years? IMO, big dishes are the #1 reason this country has an obesity problem. It's only natural that when you're given a serving platter disguised as a huge dinner plate, you're going to fill it up and eat everything on it whether you're hungry or not.

Okay, rant off.

No crafting going on here. I've started a shopping list, and it's going to be a bad one. It usually costs us a thousand dollars every time we go out of town shopping, and this will be no exception. On my list I have a bunch of parts we'll need to modify the bike trailer, and that's a lot of the cost. Hobby accessories for outdoor toys are always expensive. Oh, well, it's still going to be way less money than buying a custom-built trailer. I'm just so grateful the guy from the salvage yard never came to get our old boat trailer. Having to replace that would have cost hundreds, maybe more, and then we'd still have to buy all the parts to modify it. At least we're saving that base cost for the trailer. We need some stuff for the bikes, too, cable to lock them up, fence posts to build a hand rail down the hill to the lake, weird stuff like that.

I'm also working on a cookbook of my favorite WW recipes. Having them all in one binder will help me not have to page through cookbooks with nice glossy pics of tasty-looking food, which always revs up my appetite, which is the intent of the pics of course, and it'll also help ensure that if I purge a cookbook with a good recipe in it by accident, I'll still have the recipe. Hope it works as planned.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like those colors. They should be pretty worked up. I like variegated yarn and especially blues, so the macaw especially appeals to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'll probably do the blues. I have a ton of that. I had bought it when I decided to do a bed sized afghan, but I really don't need one. Even now when the bedroom is actually cold at night, I just layer a heavy woven cotton meditation shawl, a second top sheet, and if that's not enough, a length of cotton fabric I had used for a curtain. Toasty warm. So I might as well use it for that. It goes will with the banana berry too, so I could use that if I want change in the colors. They share some of the same blues. I'm not sure when I'll start it. Maybe this week, but I want to keep working on the cross stitch cats too.

I have a fitted sheet or two that don't really match anything very well. I started to give them away this last round of culling, but kept them. Someday - that someday we're all waiting for that will see all our "works in mind" spring into actual being - I'll take off the elastic and cut them to throw size. Using a second flat sheet just thrown over the bed has worked so well, it convinced me I really didn't need a blanket, ordinary or crocheted. Money saved, space saved.

Tomorrow's going to be a big spending day for me too. I haven't been grocery shopping, except for picking up bread at the outlet bakery when I was on that size of town for the meeting about the house, since before Christmas. It's going to need some serious cart piling to catch up. I'm actually on my last bottle/jar of several condiments. I cannot even remember the last time the pantry was flat out of those things. Years. I also want to stock up on OTC meds that I take on a daily basis. The doctor wrote prescriptions for them so I can use my flexible spending account. I want a good chunk of the year's supply laid in by the end of March. I buy them at Kroger where I get my senior discount on them, and my main CC is giving 5% back at grocery stores this quarter. An extra 5% off, as it were, adds up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in favor of money and space saved. I can't believe that about myself! I used to be such a pack rat, heading into hoarder territory. Glad we both have nipped that in the bud now. The house is still a disaster but it's much better than it was, and eventually it will be fully organized.

I found a house I like in the nearby town we might move to in a few years. Yeah, I know that one will be sold by then. But it's perfect for me because it needs light refurbishing, like paint and redoing the hardwood floors. But the most perfect thing is, there's no kitchen! It's all been ripped out, ready to be redone. Of course the bad part about that is not being able to repurpose the old cabinets, but we both had to laugh at it when we saw there was no kitchen. I'm completely serious about wanting a house that needs a new kitchen when we do decide to make a move. I built in so many custom touches in our new kitchen that work so well, I don't want a basic generic kitchen. One of the best things I did was add 2x4 framing under the sink base so I could store gallon jugs of water and other heavy stuff under the sink without having to worry about the bottom of it warping and separating from the cabinet walls like every other dang sink cabinet we've ever had, and then building in shelves so there is no wasted space under there now. I usually have nine gallons of water sitting in there, six on the floor of the cabinet and three above them on a shelf, so over seventy pounds concentrated in a small space. Been doing that for five years now and the cabinet floor still looks brand new. The pull out on the other side of the cabinet is full of bottles of cleaners and heavy stuff too, and no warping there either. Glad I thought of beefing that cabinet up. Well worth it. I've done a lot of other custom stuff in there, too, and all of it has worked out better than I anticipated. We used all stock cabinets to keep costs down on that project, so all these little touches made a big difference to us. It was fun doing them, too.

I've decided I need to go out and shovel the deck. It's been so warm I can't figure out why we haven't been using our grill to make some tasty food. That oversight needs to be rectified very soon.

Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast