2015 Use It Up Challenge - Page 4
Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have been doing redecorating in my cubicle.

It is a mix of frugal and less frugal things. And possibly medium frugal things. I do have an internet source that has a pretty good deal on fake plants and flowers, but still has a quality I like. I looked at the dollar store fake flowers and they did not look quite right to me. On the other hand I bought planters and bowls from the dollar store for my plants. The containers where I got my fake flowers were not a good deal.

I have started phase one, which is a bird cage, some fake birds, some stones and two battery operated candles. It looks very nice sitting up next to my big pile of filing. Really it does. Maybe I should file more often.

Phase 2 is the flowers.

The next phases are having a mini art gallery. Then making some white origami flowers for my yarn vases. The side of the little metal cabinet next to me will be my wall of inspiration with encouraging words displayed in an artistic way. I may possibly add jars of stars with my origami stars. I will just use small jars from food I use up at home.

Everything after phase two is stuff I will make and stuff I already have. So after phase two it gets pretty frugal.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, this could be bad.

We have to hand-carry a water sample to Duluth Monday to have our well water tested, which means we'll also be doing a major shopping trip. I hate it but we were going to go elsewhere to do some shopping anyway, so the thousand dollars we'll probably spend would get spent either way.

So I'll probably be adding to the various stashes around here. The truck is going to be full.

I'll get to go to the big GW. Bad, bad. We're usually towing a camper when we're in Duluth and driving through Spaghetti Junction there is enough of a hassle without trying to get to the GW. This time, no trailer, so I definitely want to go there. We like the SA's there, and there's a Savers, too. Bad, bad, bad. It depends how much time we have though. We may just hit the Savers, the big GW, and one of the small GWs we like on the edge of town. As always, we'll have a lot of stops to make. It's always an exhausting trip, four hours on the road and too many huge stores to walk around in. We'll have to take the doggies, too, most likely. I hate that we'll probably leave in darkness and come home in darkness. The road between our town and the nearest four-lane is winding and hilly and dangerous on a good day, and worse in the dark with critters on the move. Fifty miles of non-stop thrills. That's the bad part of living in the boondocks.

Still, we haven't been out of town in months so it should be fun. It's always a thrill to come over the hill and look down on the harbor and the big lake. Duluth is an interesting town.

Better get started on the shopping list.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What a slacker I've been. No crafting at all. Not a stitch or loop on a hook. I started a book Sunday night that turned out to be really good so I spent free time reading that until last night. Then I was re-listening to Butler's The Way of All Flesh that I wanted to finish off so I just played computer games and listened. Then at bedtime I started another book that kept me engrossed all day until I HAD to get up and get a shower and get to work. It's been a nice break from the crafts. I can become very compulsive about them.

The books were The Ship and the Storm: Hurricane Mitch and the Loss of the Fantome by Jim Carrier, and the one I'm reading now is A Garden of Marvels: How We Learned that Flowers Have Sex, Leaves Eat Air, and Other Secrets of Plants by Ruth Kassinger. I expected this one to be only mildly interesting, but I was wrong. It's more or less a history of the development of botany, which doesn't sound very promising, but so far, it's been fascinating. It's a 1.99 deal at present and I'm very glad I sprang for it, and wish there were an audio version. It would be a good one to listen to while I'm working jigsaws.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My mission for the year is to use my existing quilting fabric and to not buy. Well, I made it 22 days and then I saw an ad on Craigs List. 12 gallon tote of fabric for $95. I caved. I went and checked it out. Of @100 yards only 35 yards of it was quilting fabric - I bought it anyhow. Out of the non quilting fabric I've made 2 window thingys to keep the outside weather out and the inside weather in. One I stuffed with scrfaps of batting and fleece. The other one I stuffed with those shipping 6" air pillows. However I'm now out of both of those items and I have 3 more to make but nothing to put in the middle. I thought about crunched up newspaper but I'm not sure. All and Any suggestions are welcomed. From the remaining nonquilt fabric I plan on cutting it into 3/4-1" wide strips, sewing them together length wise, braiding them and then sewing them into rugs.

So far this Year I've finished my sons quilt and from my existing scrap stash I've sewn a 65 yard by 2.5" wide strip.
    2020 Goals:
    Pay off Ohio House - PAID OFF!! March 2020
    Save for whole house generator - $0/$15,000 (Guess amount, no quote)
    Fully Fund all Retirement Accounts & HSA - $12,500/$43,000
    Save for fruit trees - $0/$2,000 (by December)
    Survive Outage - 6-12s for 3-6 months.....love the pay, hate the hours
    Save for pond....now a 2022 goal

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hey! Welcome back! How's the new job/home/state? I hope you're doing well.

If you have any blankets that are pilled, those would make good innards for window quilts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Livin Large - your resolve lasted longer this year than mine did! Good going! (Of course outstaying me is setting the bar pretty low - LOL)

I don't have any suggestions for the stuffing. It sounds like you are making good use of your purchase though.

Kathy - it all sounds nice. Pictures?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This is the result of my little spending binge. The money was part of a bonus at work, so it seemed fair to use part of it to make work look nicer.

2015 Use It Up Challenge-shelf-garden.jpg
    2015 Use It Up Challenge-birds-rocks-candles.jpg

So far I do not have anything in the bottom of the water lily bowls. I thought about water, but the shelf is right above my computer. I may experiment with painting the inside of the bowls to look like faux water. The bowls were only $1 for a set of 4, so I bought a second set to experiment with.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Hey! Welcome back! How's the new job/home/state? I hope you're doing well.

If you have any blankets that are pilled, those would make good innards for window quilts.
    Thanks! New job is going well. It's very low stress and I'm learning a lot - 2 good things. I'm also enjoying the mild winter of SC. People down here wear winter coats and complain about the cold and I wear a jacket and just smile at them. +15 is was better than last years -20.

I'll keep my eyes open for blankets on craig's list and at garage sales as I don't have any. My son, 19, is living in my house in Ohio and I left all my extra stuff with him.

dcompton - My 22 days is nothing to be braging about. Over the Christmas holiday I bought over 40 yards of fabric. The price ranged form $2-11/yard. My sister from Alaska was visiting and she was a bad influence on me. She's older and should have set a better example for her younger sister.
    2020 Goals:
    Pay off Ohio House - PAID OFF!! March 2020
    Save for whole house generator - $0/$15,000 (Guess amount, no quote)
    Fully Fund all Retirement Accounts & HSA - $12,500/$43,000
    Save for fruit trees - $0/$2,000 (by December)
    Survive Outage - 6-12s for 3-6 months.....love the pay, hate the hours
    Save for pond....now a 2022 goal

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Nice, Kathy! I love the plants and mandala wall hangings.

Shame on your, sister, LL! Leading you into temptation like that.

I'm still just reading, but soon I'll get back to something more productive.

I had almost an hour to kill after a haircut before I had to be at work, and parked by the Lowe's garden center to drink a coke. It was all I could do not to go get a houseplant, but I talked myself down. My apartment is just too dark. Some things would survive, but I need to wait. Then I realized I was also driving by Sears, so I went in to look at refrigerators and freezers. I did last summer, but I wanted to see them again. It helps to see them in the person and get a feel for their actual size and interior space. It was time well spent. All this is irrelevant, except, I guess that I sensibly waited to start a plant collection, and made a little progress in the apparent new "hobby" - house design.

I did taxes last night and instead of owing, as I thought I might this year, I'm getting back just over $1000, which was absolutely unexpected. There have been so many changes during the year that I had no idea how it would come out. So a little of that goes to state taxes, more for my Audible renewal - at least my audiobook stash takes up no room at all - LOL - and the rest I'm calling refrigerator money. No craft binges! No. None.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love house design!

Yea for not buying a plant yet! It's better to wait till you have better conditions for one. What kind of houseplant were you looking at?

Years ago I made some hanging pockets to use in our first pop up and later, with some modification, in our second pop up. The pockets hung by the bunks so we had a place for our glasses, watches, and other stuff you'd normally put on a nightstand that we didn't have. We didn't need them and had no way to hang them in the Aliner, so they've been shuffling around the sewing room for three years now. Husby shoved a big stack of road maps into the wall pockets I made for his office, and they stick out too far for the door to open right. It has occurred to me that the former camper pockets and maps might be a match. Sure enough, they will fit nicely. So I'm ripping the camper pockets apart and I'll incorporate them in with the storage pocket I plan to make for our road atlases, which will hang on the back of the office closet door. I'm glad I thought of it! There will be eight map pockets which should be more than enough.

There, finally I'm doing something worthy of the Use It Up moniker!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I wasn't actually looking at any. I was just parked in the lot killing time before work after my haircut.

That's another reason not to have a cat. It limits what plants you can have. I'll have to choose, and cats are more fun, but plants are easier and a lot less demanding.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lots of plants are cat-safe though, so you can have a good selection even with a cat. And you can't cuddle up with a plant, and a kitty will purr for you, while plants rarely have anything to say and aren't all that companionable.

I got the pockets disassembled. Now I'll have to round up some backing fabric for them. I wonder if I'll have anything. LOL.

I made some progress on the dog door panel I've been having trouble with. I can't believe how much magnet tape I ended up buying. I should have measured how much I'd need and then I probably wouldn't have started the project. I copied the instructions off the internet and they had the parts needed pictured, two packages of magnet tape so that's what I bought, a complete brain freeze because it should have occurred to me that wouldn't be nearly enough. I used seven, I think, and could have used at least one more but I made it work. I got so frustrated today with it all I finally just had to set it aside, but it's near the end now so hopefully I'll be able to finish it up soon. I just hope it holds together but I'm a little concerned about that. I beefed up the magnet tape adhesive with carpet tape, which I've had good luck with even in cold applications, but I'm still a little concerned about it. If all the magnets fall off I'll have to break out the contact cement and that won't be fun.

Husby dragged everything out of his office closet so the room is all cluttered again. I was going to start painting the drawers and doors of the buffet we're going to move out of there, but now there's stuff all piled in front of it again. Oh, well. I hardly ever see him these days because he's really mowing through all the excess crap, which I'm certainly not going to complain about.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been looking at stained glass off and on for a while now. I've wanted something vintage for our living room window, and been feeling sorry for myself because I found the perfect window but it cost $1,200 at a nearby secondhand store. So we got on eBay last night and started hunting for a better deal. I'd been looking there without any luck for a couple months. Well, last night we found a handmade stained glass bear window that will work wonderfully for our living room and the lodge decor we're trying to create in here. It was cheap enough that I started thinking about a vintage window, and realized a lot of the pieces I was looking at had textured glass that would let in light but still maintain privacy. I hate the bedroom since we built the deck because the deck is right outside the window and anyone who comes to the door on that side of the house could look right in the bedroom window. So we keep the blind closed all the time which makes the room dark. The window is on the east side of the house and I don't wake up early enough anymore, since the morning light doesn't come in like it should either. So I found an antique window I liked, made an offer to the seller, and settled on a price we both liked. I can't wait to see it now! It should be so pretty in that window. Old Sash Vintage Leaded English Stained Glass Window | eBay
    The best part is it won't be a project. All I have to do is paint the frame or slap some clear sealer on it and hang it up in the window.

We'll probably buy the bear window, too. We're just waiting on the seller to respond to my query about the cost of insurance to ship the thing. That will cover almost the entire window and be surrounded by our knotty pine T&G in the living room, so should look very striking. 20" x 34" Bear Mother and Son Tiffany Style Stained Glass Window Panel | eBay
    This whole financial fiasco will still cost us less than a third of the window in the secondhand store, which I was stupidly considering buying just because it's so gorgeous. I've been thinking about it for months now and that's not like me. I really fell in love with it. But being able to get two amazing windows for so much less has allowed me to break off the relationship with the expensive window. I guess it was just a summer fling after all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

oooh - those are pretty, SD! Good job finding them!

Well, you can cuddle with a plant, but it's probably better if the neighbors don't see you doing it and you don't mention it to your doctor unless your insurance covers mental health. If that were all, I would probably go with a cat, but cats are much more expensive - plants don't eat much and don't need trips to the vet and their litter doesn't have to be changed nearly as often. My last two cats were not cuddlers at all. Maggie would NOT be held, and only once got in my lap, the day I brought her home from the shelter. After she had a good look around at the apartment, she jumped up in my lap while I was kicked back in the recliner, kneaded for a minute, purred, jumped down, and that was the last time ever. It was a pretty spectacular "thank you", as I realized after I got to know her better. The kitten I got soon after also was not a lap cat, which I'm thinking he learned from Maggie, because usually big laid back, male orange tabbies are just puddles that love a lap, at least all of mine have been. Of course, if cross stitch and crochet are on the agenda, that can be helpful. I may end up with a cat, but I'm really going to try to resist it. Pets are wonderful to have, but a lot of extra work and expense, neither of which will I need after I retire, and I have to say I've enjoyed the place to myself since the finches left. What happens, happens.

I finished the black, white, and red lapghan! Finally! I did start another and bring it into work. In the light this morning though, some of the balls of navy looked different. I have them all here to look at in our overkill fluorescent light at the circ desk. I tossed in some leftover cream that I can substitute if I need to. I could replace four of the navy stripes with cream in a symmetrical way. Of the navy, three of the balls were suspicious.

I've still been reading, so the cross stitch has not progressed at all. However, I don't have any plans for Monday except a little straightening up in the apartment and, if I can get it together, the week's cooking. I'll probably work on it then. I may also start another lapghan to work on at home. Getting that one, that I didn't much like, finished, along with the break, has made crochet more appealing again. I really should keep at it for another 4 or 6 weeks before it starts getting really warm again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I understand about the cat idea, believe me. We love all of ours, but I'm hoping we can resist getting any more of them. We're really dog people and at least dogs don't usually get up on to counters, although Sugar used to when she was younger. She had the most amazing vertical leap we've ever seen. We used to find her curled up on the pool table, sound asleep. She could just higher than that straight up without touching anything or having to claw her way up.

Why isn't my window here yet?

Sure hope the lab can figure out what's wrong with our water next week. I hate not being able to cook or do much cleaning up.

Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast