2015 Use It Up Challenge - Page 5
Page 5 of 69 FirstFirst ... 23456781555 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I also thought about a cockatiel. I think one of my cockatiels was my best pet ever. What a sweetheart! She was always with me, full of fun, and thought cages for things others birds lived in. I would be a little firmer about that if I did it again. But my main objection to a bird at this point is that I would want to keep the place warmer in the winter for her - you can't dress them up in fleece sweats. I want to keep the options open for a cooler place. I have really enjoyed being able to let it get cold enough at night to need some real cover to snuggle down under. It will just be better all around if I stick to plants.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You'll have plenty of time to decide about pets and plants after you get moved and all the dust settles from the disruption big changes, no matter how positive, can cause.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here are a few pictures of the fabric I bought off craig's list.....
    2015 Use It Up Challenge-nonquilt-fabric.jpg
    @70 yards Non quilt fabric
    2015 Use It Up Challenge-quilt-fabric.jpg
    35 yards Quilt fabric

2015 Use It Up Challenge-72x72-window-cover.jpg
    72 x 72 window covering made with the non quilt fabric and scrap batting/fleece in the center of it.

Now for the string quilt I've been working on the last 2 weeks. All of the fabric is from my stash:

2015 Use It Up Challenge-x-quilt-strings.jpg
    72 yards 2.5" scraps with 1" black on each side

2015 Use It Up Challenge-x-blocks-almost-finished.jpg
    3/4 of the block finished. I found white on white fabric in my stash and didn't need to buy any

2015 Use It Up Challenge-x-block-leftovers.jpg
    These blocks are made from the left over scraps from the scrap quilt. The size shown are 2.5"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Use It Up Challenge-72-yards-scrap.jpg  

Last edited by Livin Large; 02-01-2015 at 06:57 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, instant stash! That should keep you busy for a few minutes. Nice job on the quilt blocks.

All I've done lately is add some length to the front pockets on a pair of jeans. What can you even put in a front pocket that's only three inches deep? Now I won't lose my money. So I used up a little scrap of some lightweight pants fabric for the alteration.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've been busily adding to stash, not using it up. I guess I'll just call it my "Woo-hoo! I got a refund" binge. I revisited the UK Ebay, more completely, this time, and ended up spending about $50. What can I say? I did it and I don't regret it. Most of the There were 20 items, averaging, including shipping, about 2.50 ea, but a fair number of these have multiple patterns, so I'm quite happy with the deal. They're all small to medium sized - nothing overwhelming. I didn't need them and probably had no business buying them, but I have No Guilt. I like them. But now I need to swear off ebay again. I had been very good for a very long time. It's time to start that again. I sure that between thinking of the someday move and the definitely coming retirement, I'm restless, and that isn't helping at all. Tra la la.....

No progress on anything crafty. I'll have time to play some tomorrow though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We hadn't been on eBay in a long time either and look at the damage we did on our stained glass windows. Which we will most likely enjoy as long as we live and which don't add significantly to our work load, so no harm done. Can't wait to see them!

Just watched the half time show and amazingly enough there didn't seem to be any wardrobe malfunctions or other controversies we could see. Katy Perry had some pretty and tasteful costumes and did a nice job, and Lenny Kravitz was still adorable. (Am I too old to say that? LOL)

I added to the travel book stash and bought a Nat Geo state parks guide that covers 200 state parks across the US. I can't wait to see it. We use our Nat Geo national parks guide so much we bought a second one to have at home and put the older one in the camper as part of our reference library in there. I'm hoping the state parks version will be just as interesting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Livin Large, that's quite a haul you made. There's some really nice fabric in it. I greatly admire anyone who quilts. I did a little and am very relieved that I never have to do it again. I just don't have the patience for it, and I really don't like sewing. Maybe someday I'll make a little hanging, but don't sit up nights waiting for it to happen. Your quilt is going to be beautiful. I'm eager to see it finished.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well I am still doing good with my no yarn purchases. I have not got any fabric yet either, but fabric was put down as a maybe.

I did not say anything about other crafts purchases, so I have left myself an outlet.

My first woven scarf is off the loom. I still have to take care of the loose ends on the sides and do a proper fringe. This was a use up spare bits of yarn scarf. My weaving tension is a bit messed up, but I think I had it figured by the end of the scarf.

2015 Use It Up Challenge-weaving-scarf-one.jpg

I have started a second scarf. This will be kind of a use it up think since I am not good at estimating how much yarn weaving takes. The weft yarn (yarn going across will probably be used up before the end of the scarf and I will need to use another yarn.

2015 Use It Up Challenge-winter-weaving-scarf-progress.jpg

I have also experimented with circular weaving. They sell circular looms, but it is also easy to improvise one. This was done with a homemade loom made with a plastic lid. I am seriously considering the idea of making some small circular looms, one that look nicer than a notches in a plastic lid. A nice think about this is the circular looms can be very small and portable. This mini weaving also experiments with making using strips of plastic bags as yarn. There is regular yarn too. I think it is easy to tell which is which.

2015 Use It Up Challenge-winter-weaving-recycled-circle.jpg
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nice work, Kathy! It sounds like you're having fun exploring your new craft.

We dragged our well water samples to Duluth today, so it was a long day since it's a 220-mile round trip. We got a ton of great deals at the thrifts and had a lot of fun. It was a relaxed shopping day, which I don't think has ever happened before. Usually we go there with a list a mile long and spend the day having to go, go, go, make a thousand important decisions, spend a grand or more, pack and repack the vehicle trying to squeeze everything in, walk through a half dozen huge stores, and then get home only to find we forgot something important. Or else we're passing through on our way home from a vacation and dragging the camper through places no sane person would be dragging a camper, also stressful. By the time we get home we're so sore and tired it takes us days to recover. Today was nice because once we dropped off the samples at the lab, we didn't have anywhere we desperately needed to be. Neither of us was in a spendy mood, so we hit some thrifts and just a few retail places. We didn't buy anything at most of the retail places or at Savers. We got a lot of stuff we needed at the main GW for our area, a store I always love to shop at but we hardly ever get to because we're usually towing a camper and even we aren't that crazy to drag Ty through Spaghetti Junction anymore than we have to. Nerve-wracking. Anyway, for once we didn't have a trailer with so could go where we wanted.

We had the doggies along and they had a good day, too. They're pretty good travelers. Sugar was acting weird all day yesterday so we didn't dare leave her home alone today in case it turned into something bad with us gone, but she seems fine now. It was probably a little sports injury because she was tearing around all day yesterday since she seems to think she's two years old since Sota moved in, and she kept slipping and falling so probably strained something. She slept late today and didn't get me up till five AM, so she was exhausted. The long sleep probably helped her, and I tried to keep her covered up all night so she was warm enough that she didn't stiffen up as much. She's thirteen now so needs a little extra TLC sometimes. She's such a sweet girl.

I added to the fabric stash but it was a need, sort of. I really wanted burlap for Husby's new office bulletin board, and found a large burlap drapery panel for $8, NIP, at the big GW. It's the right color and is a lot larger than the two yards of burlap I was planning to buy at Hancock for $7, plus then I didn't buy a bunch of other stuff at Hancock. So it was well worth the extra dollar and also saved us a stop. I probably could have found something in the existing stash, but I wanted something that wouldn't start looking bad right away from having holes poked in it.

I didn't buy any craft stuff. I did buy a floor mat I need between two of my sewing tables in the sewing room though. I was so tickled to find it for only $5 at the main GW. It's the last one I need, and it would have cost me at least $35 at Amazon, so I'm happy.

We found rubber boots for Husby to use with his HydroBike for only $8 at a GW. So we're both all set as soon as spring comes. We'll be able to walk in the water when it's still cold this spring. His boots are even the same color as his HydroBike, just a little bit lighter in shade, I think. Mine are a nice blue and green to coordinate with my blue and yellow bike. Very important to be all matchy-matchy, right? LOL.

The lab guy looked at the water sample I took last week and brought to show him. He thinks the residue that settled out of it is just sediment, probably not bacteria. He explained what he thinks might have happened to cause it, which makes perfect sense given that our well had to be fracked when it was first drilled. He said a Brita filter should take care of it, assuming there isn't any bacteria. We'll find that out tomorrow afternoon (fingers crossed.) So I'm hopeful we aren't having serious well issues. That would be fantastic news and I could quit worrying, wash dishes again, start cooking, and stop buying icky water in plastic bottles.

We also stopped at the secondhand place that has the stained glass I was so in love with, since I thought I should break up with it in person. It turns out it really was just a summer thing, and when I saw it again I didn't even really like it that much. I like the two pieces we bought over the weekend much, much better. So that was good news all around, too. Can't wait to get the new windows. I'll be surprised if they're not even prettier in person.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I hope everything works out with the well water for you.

We use brita filters a lot. I like them.

Yesterday I learned that I can crochet with gloves on. Sometimes it is not very warm in the bus in winter and do not like to take off my gloves. I am one of those people who always seems to have cold hands unless it is warm. It has been cutting down on my crochet time. Now my crochet time is back up.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, we cleared the first hurdle. The coliform test came back absent, which means there isn't any nefarious bacteria in our water. We still have to wait a couple weeks for the results for the arsenic, iron, manganese, and nitrates. I'd be shocked if there's no iron, considering we live up here on the IRON Range and we know our water is quite hard. At any rate, I called the MN Department of Health and talked to their drinking water person. She said she thinks the sediment in our water that caused all this hoopla to begin with is probably clay, which makes sense. That's not a health risk, and our water has gone back to looking clear again so I'm not going to worry about it. If it tastes a bit funny we'll use the Brita. The other stuff hasn't killed us yet so we'll see what the results are. I hope it's okay. Otherwise we'll probably have to install a whole-house water filter which wouldn't be the end of the world.

Bottom line is we can start using our water again, so I can cook and wash dishes again. We'll see in two weeks if we have to do anything more or if we're in the clear. If the tests come back showing us beyond the guidelines, I guess a couple more weeks of it after drinking it all these years probably won't hurt us any more than it already has, if it has. So I'll be a bit nervous yet but not overly concerned. I am cautiously optimistic.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good news on the well, as far as it's gone, SD. If you missed cooking so much, you could have made a run south and cooked for me! I guess I've missed my chance.

The first of my new patterns, the one from the US, came today. I had picked a favorite from the other two groups along with this one and decided whichever came first would be my next project. This one is a pair of patterns, a queen and clown triggerfish. I'll do at least one of them now. They also both use blending filament that I've never done, but I ordered it. I would like to try it - though I suspect I'm going to hate working with it - but it will put some shine on the fish scales and may be interesting.

I had also decided some time ago that the next time I picked up a pattern that had a color I didn't have, I would get all the colors I don't have. I am so tired of making a trip to JA, parking, hobbling in, standing in line with a hip (or foot or knee) killing me, spending .40 and leaving. Of course, one of the fish needed one, so I took my missing list and went in. I got them all but one. ONE. They were out of it. And while I was eating supper I really wanted to beat my head on a wall. JA didn't have the filament, so I ordered it from 123 Stitch. Did I think to add that last color? Of course not. I know I may never use some of these colors, but I have them. Yes, I could substitute, but if it's a color in the middle of a shaded run, one that's off a little can really show. Anyway, when I move, it won't be just a matter of stopping across the street before work.

As I mentioned on another thread, I got a great tote bag at JA that I've wanted ever since I saw them. They were on clearance for $7.99, down from 29.99. I thought the price was finally right. It will be a perfect size for carrying crochet to work.

It's sounds like it's all about adding to the stash right now, but honest, I am working at stuff. I made a lot of progress with the cats, though none on the crochet. I think I can finish the cats this week and then I'll start one of the fish.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congrats on the tote bag! I love a good find of something we really need that's going to work out perfect.

I'd happily come and cook for you!

I made three new recipes today, two of them from the WW cookbook I picked up Monday, all good.

I sent an order to Amazon this morning and the ATV ramps we ordered so we can finally walk safely onto our dock have already shipped. Is it abnormal to be this excited? I can't wait to get them! They're supposed to be here Friday. That poor FedEx guy, having to walk them up our slippery hill. But I'm not sorry I won't have to try to get on the dock using wobbly rocks anymore, which was Husby's solution. I just never got around to make anything else. That dock is way too expensive for us not to be using it.

I was looking at Rav just now and came across Romanian point lace. I wish I could find more info, like books from the library. It looks intriguing. Yeah, that's what I need, a new hobby.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy, you're doing well with the weaving. The round weaving is interesting too.

SD - the Romanian point lace is cool. I've never heard of it, though there is no reason I would have heard of a Romanian craft.

I'm just sitting here at the library winding floss bobbins. It beats working.

I just transferred the current lapghan over to the new tote. Perfect fit. I also like that it's zippered, and long and thin, so it won't be much in the way if I leave it here under the student desk.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This weekend, I plan to attempt plying some yarn together to make a bulkier yarn.

I know I could just hold the two colors together, but I like the look of two or more colors twisted together.

I have not tried this before so I do not know how it will go. It does not seem to be a popular thing. The kind of people who would be interested in plying two threads together prefer to spin their yarns from fiber.
    KathyB

Page 5 of 69 FirstFirst ... 23456781555 ... LastLast