2015 recycle craft challenge
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 2015 recycle craft challenge

Welcome everyone who like to makes things with recycled material. Welcome to everyone who would like to try making things with recycled materials.

This is a set your own goals challenge. My goal is at least two things a month. I make small things, so that really is not very impressive.

This is open to big projects and little projects. My first project will be a recycled book cover that will probably take about 5 minutes to make. Future projects might be a little longer.

Projects made with a combination of new and used materials are okay too.

My main recycle supplies are cloth (from old clothing) and paper (calendars, cards, magazines).
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This sounds fun! I have lots of fun trying to make Christmas decor from recycled items this past month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have done three projects so far:

a book cover made from a calendar page
    hand warmers made from socks
    yarn woven on a plastic bottle (the yarn is new, the recycled part is the bottle)

I will try to post pictures later and explain a little more about them.
    KathyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am going to try posting a picture of my recycled notebook cover. If this works it will be picture of the finished cover and a before picture of the supplies.

2015 recycle craft challenge-recycled-book-cover-2.jpg
    2015 recycle craft challenge-recycled-book-cover-supplies.jpg
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm going to set up a craft room in a spare room we have this weekend. I can't wait!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That's nice, Kathy. It's definitely more attractive than those black and white composition book covers. I never understood why those had to be so ugly, and even the other colors they come in now don't help a lot. Yours is certainly better!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My next is project is a pair of socks that was converted into arm warmers. These socks were like new (usually I convert socks with worn out feet). There is this bit a few inches below the top that goes in significantly. This made it too tight to wear.

The socks already came with a nice lace trim on the top. I snipped the feet off and did a zig zag stitch around the rough edge. I stretch the sock a little when I run it through the sewing machine - it is easier to stretch it than not to stretch it - which creates a little ruffle around the edge. I like the look of the ruffle edge. It also gives that edge more stretch.

It is hard for me to take a picture of an arm warmer I am wearing. I can't get the whole arm in. These come up an inch or two short of my elbow.

2015 recycle craft challenge-sock-arm-warmers-worn.jpg2015 recycle craft challenge-sock-arm-warmers-close-up.jpg2015 recycle craft challenge-socks-transform-arm-warmers.jpg
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This is weaving on a plastic bottle. The yarn is not recycled, but the bottle is. I may try with recycled yarn or fabric strips in the future.

This was a 1 liter round bottle. The original bottle did not have these curved ridges. That is a result of the yarn pulling it. I might be able to avoid it by working very loosely, but I like the effect.

2015 recycle craft challenge-weaving-plastic-1-progress-close-up.jpg2015 recycle craft challenge-weaving-plastic-1-finished.jpg

This next one is dish soap bottle that had an oval shape. I cut it a little short because that was the end of the ball of yarn. I am going to pretend the asymmetrical design is intentional. One side had slots on both sides of the curve - that curved in. The other side had a slot right in the middle of the curved side - it did not curve in.

The slots have to be an odd number, that is why the slots are different on the sides. If the slots were even, half the slots would have the yarn only under the plastic and half would be only over the plastic.

2015 recycle craft challenge-weaving-plastic-2-finished.jpg2015 recycle craft challenge-weaving-plastic-2-progress.jpg
    KathyB