2016 Use It Up Challenge - Page 2
Page 2 of 112 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

They look beautiful Kathy! Have fun using them up.

Here's a rough list of what I want to finish...

Project List
    Hardanger - bell pull
    Hardanger - Christmas ornaments
    Sewing - sanitary napkins for Africa
    Knitting - baby blanket
    Art quilting - Feed the Swans
    Stamps - post all stamps in album to 2015
    Portfolio - update
    Sewing - needlework box
    Sewing - camera case
    Crewel embroidery - finish sandpipers
    Crewel embroidery - Peace on Earth
    Rug Hooking - 20 extra small pieces for the shops
    Rug Hooking - plein air piece #2
    Rug Hooking - finish plein air piece #1

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Beautiful kitties, Kathy. They do manage to insert themselves in everywhere. Our orange tabby is the biggest busybody we've ever seen. I like the fabric, too. We attended Festival of Nations in St. Paul when we lived in Minneapolis, and our girls got to be dressed in saris at a booth there, just for fun. It was interesting seeing how the experts wrap and tuck and make a beautiful flowing garment out of a simple length of cloth.

I've been cutting out shields for the DfG project most of the day. I have 24 completely cut now, and that's all the PUL I have so that'll be the first run. So far I've used up two large pieces of cotton print. Every little bit helps. I still have a stack of fabric there for bags and liners. I haven't done anything more with the chair cushions yet but that's on the to-do list, too. Might not be today though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    They look beautiful Kathy! Have fun using them up.

Here's a rough list of what I want to finish...

Project List
    Hardanger - bell pull
    Hardanger - Christmas ornaments
    Sewing - sanitary napkins for Africa
    Knitting - baby blanket
    Art quilting - Feed the Swans
    Stamps - post all stamps in album to 2015
    Portfolio - update
    Sewing - needlework box
    Sewing - camera case
    Crewel embroidery - finish sandpipers
    Crewel embroidery - Peace on Earth
    Rug Hooking - 20 extra small pieces for the shops
    Rug Hooking - plein air piece #2
    Rug Hooking - finish plein air piece #1
    That is a pretty ambitious list. I have some tentative plans, but nothing that big. I think probably even one of your items would keep me busy most of the year. I have decided to go for an afghan, but that is an on and off project that could take me a year or more. Maybe I should go for a smoothing a tiny bit less ambitious like a lap blanket. I would say baby blanket, but I do not have a baby. A cat blanket perhaps?

I am on my first square of the afghan. I have a skein of simply soft prints in a blue and purple colorway I have been using. I think I might go with simply soft for the afghan. It is my favorite of the cheap yarns. Plus the yarn line has been around for awhile so I am pretty confident that it will not disappear before I finish my project. I took a peak on line at some of the simply soft colors. I plan to get some more of this colorway and also alternate it with solid colors that coordinated with it. So that would be purples and blues. Some green thrown in might work too.

When I was looking at the colors, I saw an orange variegated I liked quite a bit. It did not go with the blue/purple colors at all. But I might have to dream up some use for it. Maybe that is one of the reasons I do lots of tiny projects. The colors/colorways that I like do not always go with each other.

In the use it up category, I made another dishcloth. It uses up a ball of yellow/white variegated yarn. I have stopped taking pictures of my dishcloths. It looks a lot like the last 32 dishcloths I made. The only thing that really varies is the color.

I am thinking of various different projects I could make with the granny square pattern. Maybe a belt or headband with small squares.

So I am thinking of my yarn boxes, one could be the afghan yarn box and one could be the dishcloth yarn box. Or maybe instead of the afghan box, I could call it my simply soft box. I really seem to drift toward cheap yarn. And the other two could be other yarn and thread. I have to get the other yarn and thread down just a tiny bit for this.

I finished my doily bear. He is designed to sit in this pose. I can put him up on four legs, but then the face is pointing down and hard to see. In the model photo the bears front legs touch the floor. So I got something a tiny bit off. Or it may have been that craft felt makes him a little bit stiffer than regular fabric.

2016 Use It Up Challenge-doily-bear-back.jpg2016 Use It Up Challenge-doily-bear-front.jpg
    KathyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

the bear looks lovely! Love the sound of your 'catghan'.

My list looks long and complicated until you realize I have most of these projects half to 95% finished. I have to do the portfolio update and the rug hooking, as those are for my business. Everything else is secondary to those.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Awwww, cute bear! I love his little face. I'd leave him sitting like that, too. He doesn't need to be on all fours.

I worked on the chair seat cover today and got the band pinned around one of the pieces, but it's too short. I think I can re-pin and make it work though. I had to quit working on that because someone came to remind me lunchtime was approaching and there was no food in the fridge. So I had to quit and make dog food. Some days it's a good thing to have a walking dinner bell to remind me when I forget the obvious.

I'm still thinking about the light support. Maybe I need to forget sitting in the recliner to do crafts. It would make life a lot easier but the recliner is so much more comfortable. The sewing machine table we moved into the FR got moved back into the LR when we decided to use a different stand for the TV in the FR, but I'm not sure how that might help me with the light situation. The base of the table is cast iron, so it's plenty heavy to keep the lamp from tipping the table, but the angles are weird so I don't know if the light clamp would work. We haven't found the light clamps yet, either. I'll figure it out eventually.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've been sewing the sanitary napkin liners for Nurse for Africa to take to Kenya. Another group is sewing the pads, another the bags, and another some bikini panties for them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't done anything today with that project, but I'll get there. I wanted to get the chair for my office done and out of the LR by the end of the week, but I forgot the week ends tomorrow instead Friday, so I probably won't get it quite done. Oh, well, it won't take me long once I get back to it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always have good intentions and there is absolutely no reason I can't get several projects done. I will mostly be working on-- scrapbook pages, cards and I really want to make a quilt for dh and maybe another one for my trailer. The only thing I can think of that I would have to purchase would be backing material for the quilts.
    Terry

Jan grocery 129.57/275.00
    Jan coupon 1.00
    YTD grocery
    YTD coupon

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 1-11

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When I was going through the fabric, I notice a couple big pieces that I could probably get skirts out of.

I don't feel like taking on the challenge right now, but I may do that sometime this winter. The weather has been crazy here. It is way warmer than normal, but I think it is starting to get closer to normal now. I do not feel like doing anything winter-ish if the whole winter will be freakishly warm.

I say an art exhibit yesterday on surrealism. I was really drawn to one section that had pieces that were all organic curves. I am thinking of incorporating some of the ideas in a skirt. Instead of a straight decorative panel, I may do one with random curves.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I cut and serged the edges of 25 cloth bags for the Days for Girls project. That used up one really large piece of fabric and another smaller one. I guess I can't count it till they're all done though. But I'm happy to be that far along.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I cut strips for the DfG pads today, and got those partially finished. They go pretty fast, even using slow home sewing machines. If my math is right, I should get about forty pads out of the 1 3/4 yards I bought on eBay plus the same amount of some I had. I have a big chunk left of the piece I already had. We may be going out of town tomorrow where there is a JA, and they have flannel on sale so I might buy some more just to pair it with the remnant I have left so I can use that up. So far the pads seem like the quickest easiest part of the whole kit to make.

I may have to buy some twill tape to use for the drawstrings on the bags.

The bag labels came and I made a template so I can easily place them without having to mess around measuring and all that, but I'm going to stick them on with double stick tape and for some reason I can't find any. Frustrating, because I know we have some. But I'm going to buy some more.

I'm making faster progress than I thought I would on the project.

I was telling my mom about it today and first she offered to help cut things or whatever she could do, but she's been having a lot of trouble with her hands and arms for the past few months, so then she said she would give me money to buy supplies to make things. I might take her up on that. I have what I need for now, pretty much, and I'm not sure how much time I'll have beyond this initial burst of enthusiasm, but I'm sure I could work on a batch of something or other over time.

Registered User Back2Basicsforme's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am in! I have to admit! My stash, is make-up! I work for one of the countries largest beauty retailers and I am a hairstylist! So I get a good discount and lots of free items! I have so many makeup, beauty, hair, etc...etc...etc... items that they no longer fit in a 6 drawer storage tote, an over the toilet rack, another rack on the wall and a shelf on the wall, the counter top! I have two more shelves awaiting stain to get hung! I think I need to use some of it up before it goes bad! I am focusing on only buying what I need in this area, instead of adding more cool things to my collection!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Is there a women's shelter that would appreciate some of your extras? I don't know how long makeup stays good, but it sounds like maybe you might have trouble using it all up before it spoils. Just a thought.

Peanut, I got the liners all cut. I did get the forty I was hoping for, barely, but barely is close enough. Excellent. They sure are quick and easy to make. I just have to serge them which shouldn't take too long.

We haven't decided if we're going out of town tomorrow or not. It would be nice to get the new stove, but then we'd have to deal with the damn thing once we got it home and haul the old one outside, too. We'll wait till morning and check road conditions then. I might go by myself because then Husby could stay home with the dog.

Registered User Back2Basicsforme's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is a good idea spirit deer. I may look into that!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I picked up another 4 2/3 yards of flannel today to make liners for the DfG project. I was lucky and found two really pretty prints that should work well for that. Those go so quick it shouldn't take me long to get them all done.

Now if I could just find some twill tape cheap for the drawstrings on the bags.

Page 2 of 112 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast