2016 Use It Up Challenge - Page 3
Page 3 of 112 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yea, me! I went looking on eBay for twill tape and then it hit me I had some in a little plastic storage container. I was thinking I had some on a big spool and couldn't find it. Now I know why! I found about 70 yards and needed 50, so those are cut now. I'll have to keep an eye open for it, if I want to make any more bags. I'm glad I remembered I had the twill tape because I couldn't find any that didn't cost a fortune and was the right size. Even the 'cheap' stuff that was too wide was about $18, so now I don't have to spend that.

I think I have everything all gathered now for the entire project. I just have to do the rest of the sewing and shrink and sew the new stuff I bought today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I finished sewing what I had materials for today. That makes 49 holders I've sewn. I think they're called shields. Someone else is doing the pads/liners, which is fine by me.

I'm curious though. I was told to make my holders out of 100% cotton, like quilting cotton, not flannelette. I hope I'm using the right stuff! Better go back to read directions. I'm just doing what the ladies at church told me to. They could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time they changed something to suit their stash depletion plans!

ETA: Nope. I'm right on the money. Quilter's cotton for the shield and flannel for the liners.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yup, that's what I got out of the instructions, too. Or poly/cotton blend for the bags. I think there may be more latitude with the bags, but no one actually has to wear those.

I hope the church ladies are following the instructions. DfG has lots of rules but everything I've read in the rules makes good sense, and they also take time to explain why they have those particular rules. I'm using stash stuff for most of this but buying materials if I don't have what they ask for.

I don't know if I'll work on the DfG project today or not. I'm determined to get the chair done so I can move that out of here, but probably won't do that either. It's in my way for working on the bathroom vanity, although now that we've bought the new stove, I have to paint the stove area in the kitchen because otherwise we'll have to unhook the stove and move it again some other time, and I'd rather just be done with it. The kitchen paint is a big fat UFO that needs to be addressed but I don't know when it'll get done. Notice how every time I make a plan for our UFOs, something happens to blow them up? LOL. Just gotta go with the flow.

I think today I need to try to work out a schedule for myself. I need to significantly improve my time management. I have to get back to my top three priorities, for starters, eating/cooking right every day, writing every day, and doing active chores every day.

I moved the architect's lamp I had on my industrial serger to my home serger. What a difference! Why did I wait so long? I didn't realize how much I needed better light, since the serger sits right under the ceiling light that has five or six bulbs in it and is quite bright. But the light isn't pointed right on my work. Now it is. I'm going to buy one for my home sewing machine, too. I hate not being able to see well. It's frustrating and fatiguing.

I'm making some progress around here and that's good. I think I need to add a half hour of sewing room decluttering to my work schedule. I probably won't have time to devote large blocks of time to it right now. Getting the stove installed is a high priority right now so I'll have to get busy on that real soon.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good work! to those of you who are using up stash and doing good deeds. I finished the mistletoe part of the cross stitch but I've started picking out the berries to do over. I used different dmc color substitutions for the anchor floss than suggested and I don't think there is enough contrast in the shades. It's slow tedious work.

However I've been mostly reading so really don't have the crafting back in gear yet

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Used up most of the leftovers tonight. Bake to serious cooking tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got all the new flannel I bought Saturday shrunk, cut, and the narrow strips serged. That's something, I guess. The flannel I got from JA is pretty nice and the prints are a bright assortment of flowers on black and pink and purple butterflies with black accents. Both are very busy and should hide stains nicely.

Apparently I ruined one of the cutting knives on my serger yesterday trying to serge around the chair cushion cover. I had a spare new one but have to replace the old one right away to avoid future down time. I hope I can find one. I wish I would have known this Saturday when we were in Hibbing and could have stopped at the Viking dealer to see if they had the part. Oh, well, at least I got up and running again right away. I also need to buy a tiny wrench to put in the serger tool box. A screwdriver will not loosen that sucker! Maybe I can find one on eBay, but didn't have much luck earlier today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have five storage bins and several bags full of yarn. Some I bought, some was given to me. (I had a neighbor who also crocheted but she's moved a few years back.) I make afgans and scarves so I'm sure I can use up a lot of what I have. I started a new afgan using some of the stash that was in a bag. I can reuse the bag for projects or even for grocery shopping if I remember to bring it with me. But I like having the bags to store the yarn I plan on using for a single project while I'm working on it so I know where it is and how much I have on hand.

I plan on making "rag bag" afgans to use up what I have by going through what I have, even if I don't have full skeins, and using similar colors. The only yarn I plan on picking up during the year are either for special request afgans for friends (if I don't have the colors already) or for the scarves I make friends. I use wool for the scarves since most of my friends do historical re-enactment type events and wool is saver around fires.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had never thought about wool being safer around fires- that's an interesting point.

I finished picking out berries last night so I used up that floss and will use a bit more to redo them but that was definitely not the plan. :neutral_face:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got all the DfG liners I had fabric for done now. The total came in at 100. I'm glad those are done, although they're the simplest and quickest of the three items to make. I still have all 25 bags to do and all 24 shields. I hope those go quickly too.

I need to get back to work on my own projects. Winter's flying by, like I knew it would, and it'll be time to work outside before too long. We have to get into the garage and get the ceiling put in, hopefully, before it gets too hot to work up there in the rafters.

My three new WW cookbooks came yesterday! All of them look good, so I'll be busy trying new recipes, too. I made moo goo gai pan last night and it was really good. I can't believe it's taken me so long to get around to making it. It's been on the to-do list for years. Silly me.

I have excess yarn too, and I'm debating about using a little knitting machine I bought a while back and making some of the yarn up into hats to donate. I'm just not sure if I want to put in the time. And then there's the issue of how to prevent the yarn from picking up hair. I'm probably better off to donate the yarn to my mom's neighbor, who crochets for charity. That way it'll still get used for a good cause but I won't have to use my time getting it to that point. Win/win, because Mom's neighbor buys a lot of yarn but doesn't have a lot of money. She has a lot of time though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    I had never thought about wool being safer around fires- that's an interesting point.

I finished picking out berries last night so I used up that floss and will use a bit more to redo them but that was definitely not the plan. :neutral_face:
    From what I understand, acrylic yarn is more flammable than natural fibers, such as wool, due to how it's made. But it's easier to clean since it's machine washable. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylic_fiber)

Wool, on the other hand, burns at a higher temperature than acrylic and will still keep you warm even when wet. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wool)

I've taken several open hearth cooking classes and one of the things they tell you to do is to wear natural fiber clothing (cotton or wool) when you take the class. I was going to volunteer at a historical site in my area and they insist anyone who does the cooking demos wear wool as well. Probably because wool would be accurate to the time period as well as safer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think the issue is that acrylics melt onto the skin if they burn, causing much more serious injuries. Wool will burn but not stick to the skin.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

renmerc you are correct about wool. Also, as a used to be old camper/hiker I always packed a wool sweater to keep warm and wool socks to hike in and a fresh pair to sleep in at night. Wool is great! Especially in humid climates.

I didn't use anything up today but food. I spent the day working on my business and de-cluttering.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am still here hanging out in the background.

My husband is having surgery on Friday. It is not high risk, but I am still a bundle of nerves.

I have gone back to some dishcloths as my comfort crochet.

I have started a stuffed penguin. Progress has been pokey even by my standards. I have two penguin feet done.

This is one of those weeks where it feels like anything I do besides stare into space should be counted as a victory.

I really admire the work people are doing for the days for girls project.

I have some questions about scrappy afgans I will try to post later.

I tend to limit my posts when I am in a bad mood because they sometimes sound a bit negative. But I will see if I can get something together tomorrow or Thursday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Perfectly normal to have a lot on your mind when surgery is looming. I'll look forward to hearing about the positive outcome when he's all finished and recovering nicely.

I started on the DfG shields now. Maybe I can wrap this project up by the end of the week, but that remains to be seen.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hope your DH's surgery comes out fine Kathy.

I did finish hemming a wall hanging today. Now to sew on a hanging sleeve and a label.