2016 Use It Up Challenge - Page 4
Page 4 of 112 FirstFirst 12345671454104 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Husby got down my big Dutch oven for me. It's going to work out beautifully with the new stove. It doesn't quite fit in the pantry so I'll have to do some rearranging, but I don't think it's going to be a big problem. I'm glad I didn't buy the wok I looked at when we were at GW last week. It was nice but I just couldn't make myself do it. It's a one-purpose item and would take a lot of storage space I don't have. The DO is a multiple-purpose item and will work great as a wok. I'm also happy it's going to be put to work. It's a commemorative with a fancy limited edition lid, highly collectible and already worth about five times what I paid for it, not that I care. But I try not to collect stuff that just sits around doing nothing for us. I'm so excited about the DO that now I'm suddenly in a hurry to get the stove installed, but it's going to be at least the end of the month before that happens.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So, scrappy afghans.

Probably I will be making scrappy lap-ghans or cat-ghans or scrappy shawls. But the idea is similar.

I am thinking that most people who make scrappy blankets use all the same yarn, just different colors. For example a scrappy afghan could be all Red Heart Super Saver yarn, just in random colors.

But what about when you have yarn that is all different. Yarn that is all technically in the same weight category but slightly different size. Or simply soft yarn which is supposed to be worsted weight, but is noticeable thinner.

Or even mixing a textured yarn with a regular yarn.

I am thinking of doing modular pieces, for example a bunch of granny squares done together. But I think the squares may come out different sizes. I do most of my crochet on the go (bus, subway, etc.). So I do not want to carry a bulky work in progress blanket with me.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It would be a problem if the motifs end up being different sizes. They wouldn't fit together right.

Maybe you could separate the yarn by brand and use up most of it for small things like the catghans.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got half the DfG shields done and the other half just have to be topstitched, so maybe another half hour. My back started to object to sitting in my sewing chair. I'll be glad when the shields are done. Then it'll be just the bags left and those should go even more quickly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Last night I re-stitched the mistletoe berries. I still changed one color to a whiter shade and now they look ok. I haven't done the back stitching on them yet. Maybe tonight or tomorrow. After that I'll start the holly section. Probably.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sewed on the label. Now to make a hanging sleeve.

Decided to finish my Hardanger bell pull next.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    So, scrappy afghans.

Probably I will be making scrappy lap-ghans or cat-ghans or scrappy shawls. But the idea is similar.

I am thinking that most people who make scrappy blankets use all the same yarn, just different colors. For example a scrappy afghan could be all Red Heart Super Saver yarn, just in random colors.

But what about when you have yarn that is all different. Yarn that is all technically in the same weight category but slightly different size. Or simply soft yarn which is supposed to be worsted weight, but is noticeable thinner.

Or even mixing a textured yarn with a regular yarn.

I am thinking of doing modular pieces, for example a bunch of granny squares done together. But I think the squares may come out different sizes. I do most of my crochet on the go (bus, subway, etc.). So I do not want to carry a bulky work in progress blanket with me.
    I like the name "scrappy afgans". I usually get Red Heart Super Saver or Simply Soft yarns when I buy acrylic. I tend to want to use "groups" of colors (blues vs. reds, etc.) when I make my rag-bags but I'll have to mix it up a bit more when I start working with colors I 'inherited'. I've been picking up yarn from a vendor I really enjoy (Verdant Gryphon) to do one of these afgans for myself. I keep an eye out for sales where there are only one or two skeins left (they do small dye batches of wool-blends). That one will probably take me a while to complete since I'm picking up that yarn piece-meal.

I have a couple of projects I keep in my car for when I know I have to wait for something (going to the movies or an oil change). I usually do lap-gans.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finished up the DfG shields and got a good start on the bags. I also found a perfect box, not hard since we've emptied so many lately and they're still waiting to be taken to recycle. All I had to do was tape the bottom shut again. I'm hoping to wrap this project up tomorrow but who knows? But it should definitely be ready to go sometime next week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I finished the mistletoe last night and have decided to go on and finish this whole project before I start anything else. I'll begin the holly section tonight. I checked my color choices again and think they will work. The original pattern goes from dark holly green to a strange very light yellowish green over most of the leaves. I suppose that's supposed to be the shine of light on them but it just looks weird and flat and wrong. The berries are also more pink than red. I've gone with less contrast and richer colors.

After that I'll try my hand at loom beading.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The key to loom beading is grading the beads and selecting the best size and shape matches possible. You're going to find that even beads that are the same size by number can vary between colors. It's frustrating! You'll develop an eye for grading after a while, but just prepare to be a little frustrated before that happens.

How are you enjoying retirement so far?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My husband is out of surgery now. Everything went okay. However, the normal recovery process for this is more than I thought it would be. I might have to take some time off to care for him. And I will be doing his share of the home chores for probably three weeks.

Still at the hospital for a couple more hours of observation. I am working on my pink cowl shawl thing today. I think I will finish one ball of yarn today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad the surgery went well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm glad he's done with the surgery, Kathy. And I hope you can stay home with him without a financial hardship. I'm sure it would be easier for both of you if you could be home to keep an eye on him and make sure his recovery goes smoothly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the update Kathy. I hope the recovery goes smoothly.

SD - I LOVE retirement. Life is so good! I'm keeping weird hours though. Instead of moving rising time back to a day schedule that is always grim, I'm letting it slide forward around the clock which is easier and a lot less painful. I got up about 5:30 p. m. today. When it moves around to a sensible morning hour I'll try to hold it there. But I'm a night person by nature and after 13.5 years of working late it may be hopeless. I won't spend the rest of my life being miserable just to be in sync with everyone else. I'm trying for days but if I end up permanently on the night shift, what difference does it really make?

Yesterday (or the last time I was awake?) I just read and played computer games while I listened to Jurrasic Park- always fun and narrator is quite good.

I added to the audiobook "stash" but that's allowed for sales until my membership expires. I bought 2 for 4.95 each.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm so happy for you, D! It's great you're finally able to do exactly what you want, when you want.

I added to the stash today. I bought 12 new DMC balls of crochet cotton, size 30, my favorite, plus a nearly full ball of heavier weight gold, a color I like and have more of, for $2.50 at GW today. That was half price. I had noticed them a few weeks ago but didn't want to pay full price. Today I looked and didn't see them, but then found them buried under some bags of fabric scraps. I tried to talk myself out of them but it didn't work.

We got a Christmas stocking kit half price for $1 at GW, too. Husby had pointed it out to me a couple weeks ago but I wasn't inclined to add to the stash then. But he does cross stitch too, and it was a buck, so what the heck. He can stitch it and I'll sew it together. We sure don't need it, but it's cute with penguins and polar bears sledding and skating. We have several stockings to make now and have never hung stockings, so I'm not sure why we needed it but couldn't resist. Bad, I know. Let this be our worst vice!

I finished off the Days for Girls project. The final total was 100 liners, 24 shields, and 25 bags. I bought some fabric for it all, but I also used up about ten yards of my own fabric, a bunch of thread, and fifty yards of twill tape. If I sew for them in the future, I think I'll stick with the liners. Those are very quick to do and easy, which is why they're so quick. But I'm glad I did it and I hope it helps some people out somewhere in this messed-up world.