2016 Use It Up Challenge - Page 5
Page 5 of 112 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy, so glad your DH is okay. Here's to a speedy and good recovery.

Donna, so glad you are enjoying retirement. DH is still waffling about when he is going to retire and saying he's not sure what he's retiring to! Friday he took the day off and he was wandering around the house for quite a while. Then got dressed to go outside in the cold. I asked him what he was doing. He said he was puttering, "You know, practicing for retirement."

Haven't done anything crafty today. I've been busy using up food in the fridge. It's looking pretty bare. That's okay. Grocery shopping is Monday.

I didn't sleep well last night so today has been a catch up day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yesterday I really zipped along. I must've put 25 - maybe even 30 stitches on the holly cross stitch. :yum: With this kind of diligence I might even finish it before I die! I'm more in the mood to work on it today though.

I absolutely love the Q Snap frames. They were stupidly expensive for a few pieces of plastic but I will never go back to hoops except for maybe tiny things. I wish I had bought them a lot sooner.

I think all the stash things I bought on eBay (in my "legal" stash building) have arrived except for a couple of pieces of lace I want to experiment with to use as a base for embroidery and beading. I need to check my list but that should be the end of packages. It was a lot of fun while it lasted!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I DIYed something similar to Q snap using some PVC parts I found on Amazon. I forget what they're called now. Husby liked them so much he claimed them, so I bought some more. Normally they're used to attach tarps to a frame to make a temporary canopy. I'll never go back, either. It's so much easier than attaching hook tape to everything.

I built my stash a bit more and just this minute ordered another yard of PUL to make more shields for the DfG project. I have some fabric I want to use up and that's enough to do that. It's a nice fabric for the project. I'm not going to be all gung-ho on it this time around, but I like having that to work on while I sit with Husby at our 'new' table in the family room. It's mindless yet productive, just what the doctor ordered when I'm tired and don't want to think very much.

Still haven't figured out where the clamps are for the craft lamps. I think they're either in the sewing room or Husby's office, but can't say for sure. We might have broken one or two also. Maybe I should just build something else and forget the clamps. Except now it's bitterly cold out so who wants to go out to the garage and start searching for and cutting lumber? So I'll wait. It wouldn't take long to do the whole job though, so maybe one of these days I'll get motivated.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh dear! In the process of finding a place for my art supplies in the sewing/craft room, I came across two boxes of unspun fibre for my spinning wheel! This is stuff I have no real inclination to use, but now I will spin it up to give away for knitting. Speaking of which, I also unearthed a box of homespun yarn!!! I'm going to be a busy camper...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Why do you have to spin it? Can't you give it away as is? I always figure I have enough to do without adding more projects if it's not going to benefit me. Except for stuff like the DfG, of course.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Don't have to spin it, but wanted to for the experience. Some of it is different fibre than wool, or different types of wool. Never a bad thing to learn a bit more about fibre. Especially in my business!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today we used up $15.22 in excess stamps and stuck a few dozen of them on the package for DfG, which Husby will mail tomorrow. I used to keep a lot of postage on hand for mailing manuscripts, and it's just been sitting in my office till recently. I had forgotten all about it. We hardly ever send letters anymore and most of the stamp denominations aren't correct for letters anyway, so using the stamps up for packages is the best way to get rid of them and then we don't have to spend any more money.

Husby picked up the sheet I asked him to pick up when we were in GW Saturday. We knew it would be half price starting today, so I got it for $3. I'm going to dye it and use it for DfG for making liners. It looks and feels brand new and the flannel is softer and thicker than what I bought at JA, and it's 100% cotton, so should be okay. I'm not sure what size it is but it should make a bunch of liners. I guess that's stash building but I hate to think about it like that since it's for charity.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It looked like the sheet was a queen fitted. It's big, anyway. Or was. I ripped it into strips this morning.

Peanut, I don't know much about dyeing things. I was thinking of using Rit dye in some shade of red, but I don't want it to just be plain. I looked at Rit's website and it talked about scrunching fabric up and then tying it to get sort of a marbled effect. It also seems like that would be the quickest and easiest way to deal with so many strips. Do you think that would work? I know I need to weigh it all too, and see how many packs of dye I would need. Any other tips?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hmm...I don't normally dye cotton. I dye wool and silk. They are quite different. Having said that, here's how I would do it.

Let the fabric soak an hour before dyeing in room temperature water and a mild detergent. I use Eucalan or Synthrapol, but original DAWN is fine too. These detergents actually open the fibers and help it absorb the dye...gives more intense colours.

You can line a casserole or roasting pan you'll never use for anything other than dyeing with tinfoil, scrunch up the damp cloth in there. Then mix up your dye in a measuring cup you'll never use for anything else (should be at least 1 c. of water to each dye, preferably 2 c.), and pour in splotches over the fabric. Maybe use two or three colours to make really nice "spot dyes" (I think that's what they mean by marbled). Smoosh the colour into the fabric with a chopstick or spoon you'll never use for anything else other than dyeing.

CAUTION: once you add the dye don't move the fabric too much. There is a fine line between some neat colours and getting mud. Especially by the time you get to the third colour.

Mix up your mordant (whatever they use to set it) and pour it over as much of the fabric as you can. You don't have to move the fabric to do this. It will simmer in the oven and steam set the colour.

Important: Now check the water level in the casserole/roasting pan. It should be at least 3/4" to 1" deep. You don't want this boiling dry in the oven. It stinks and the fabric will burn.

Then cover with more tinfoil (shiny side in) and place in the oven. Bake at 350 F for about an hour. Check to see if the water in the bottom of the pan is clear. If it is, all the dye has soaked up and you're done. If not, then either there's too much dye for the fabric, OR you need to turn up the heat. Ideally the water in the pan should reach a simmer and stay there for 45 minutes to an hour.

Let the fabric stay covered and cool to room temperature (could take overnight). Then rinse in water until it runs clear. If you're using RIT, I'd say wash it in the washing machine on hot with vinegar to keep it from running too much.

It would be a good idea to be able to have a window open and a fan going while you do this SD. Dyes can smell pretty bad when heated.

Anyways, hope that helps.

On my Use it Up front...I finally finished my Hardanger bell pull! I also made a list of all the projects I have hanging around I want to do. I think I missed some. Oh well. More fun!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today I used up a drawer front from the two drawers I salvaged for another project. I needed a small platform to sit over the arm of the couch, which is a 'crate' style so the arms are narrow. The drawer front lays flat on the arm and I used up four corner brackets to make U-shaped brackets to hold the drawer front on. I also reused three small rectangular felt pads to make pads to keep the brackets from scratching the couch arm. This is one of those little tiny projects that take almost no time but make a huge difference. Anyway, the parts for this project have been purged off the kitchen island now, finally, and I have the little platform I've wanted for years, and the drawer front is put to good use instead of just being clutter. Glad I thought of it.

I put away the crochet cotton I bought last week. It matches a bunch I already had, which is good. I'm happy I bought it.

I crumpled up a strip of flannel and fan-folded another one. Not sure how they'll turn out. I'll be doing some more of those. All that folding and wadding has to make some kind of pattern, doesn't it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks. What type of dye do you use? I've used Rit before and it seems to color cotton nicely and is simpler to use, I think. I was planning to use only one color, but it depends how many packages of dye I have to buy to do all the fabric.

I want to learn hardanger someday. I've decided I'll need to live to be at least 125 years old to get everything done I want to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a list of crafts I would like to learn to do to. And I think it would be fun to make my own embroidery patterns. Which is funny because I current do not have time to even learn embroidery unless I give up another hobby.

I think I might be over estimating how much I can do when I retire. Because I think I want to be an artist/writer/crafter/pattern designer.

I have been thinking way to much about retirement lately. I have about ten years to go. It is much to early to be thinking about it this much. I have been so worn out lately. It will take a whole month for my husband to recover from his surgery. It has been less than a week and I feel burned out already.

Sorry for sounding whiney.

I have not done any crafting the last couple of days, but I will try to do some today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not whiney, just someone with a lot on her mind. How's your husband doing? I hope it's going well. Hang in there. Hopefully, he's improving every day and will soon be back to normal.

I have a long way to go on all the folding and tying and crumpling of flannel, and I think I need to do that in the evenings when Husby is home to put his finger on knots in the string. So it'll be a joint project, it seems. I'm glad he's a good sport about these kinds of things.

Wish the weather would warm up. I really don't want to use my saw out in the cold, cold garage. It doesn't want to be used when it's this cold, either, so I try to avoid that. I really want to get that light stand made. But maybe that's just an excuse, since I could be using the one on the couch. Maybe I should round up a frame for the needlepoint Christmas stocking and see if that motivates me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's venting, Kathy. Venting is good.

Still working on my afgans. It's good I have a couple started so they're long enough to cover my legs now that the weather is positively (or is it negatively?) wintery. I did buy a few more skeins for one afgan (that isn't long enough to cover my lap just yet) but I know they're not likely to get relegated to the stash, given how small the skeins are (4 oz each). But the majority of the yarn on that one is from my stash. Since I just realized my wool yarn is actually 100% wool and not a wool/acrylic blend like I thought it was, I can use the last skein I'm likely to have for a couple of scarves. Can't use the skein in my rag-bag afgans since it's wool and most of the rest of the stash is acrylic (washing instructions are different) but I can always give the scarves away, even if it is to a homeless shelter or the like.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh Kathy, I do hope your Hubby is healing well. Sorry to hear you are so worn out. Do you have someone who can take over for just an hour or two to give you a break/nap? I don't consider you whiney at all. It is what it is and that's what you're telling us. Hopefully this will all be over soon for you.

SD, when I do dye cotton I use ProChem dyes. But I haven't used them in ages. You have to buy special ingredients like dried urea pellets and soda ash to use them. Plus have a mask and gloves and well ventilated kitchen. So yeah, for ease of use it's hard to beat RIT for cotton.

I'm working on finishing a couple of hooked wall hangings today, and on my knit baby blanket.

Page 5 of 112 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast