2016 Use It Up Challenge
Page 1 of 112 12341151101 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 2016 Use It Up Challenge

To quote DCompton, "Another year, and still stuff to use up! It's easy not to over buy boring things like toilet paper and socks, but when it comes to our hobbies and things we enjoy doing, the shopping is almost as much fun as the projects themselves. In this challenge we focus on using supplies on hand as much as possible, rather than buying more.

We aren't too obsessive about that, because after all, fun things are fun, and a little shopping is allowed - your stash, your rules. It can be supplies or materials for any leisure activity - needle and yarn crafts, DIY projects, art, scrapbooking, beading, reading - whatever you do that has a stash that seems to be getting a little (or a lot) out of hand.

We share what we are working on, what we use up, and yes, what we add as well. It's all about Stash Control.

Come join us!
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge July
    $

Grocery Challenge/July
    Goal $250.00
    Total $

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/7

No Spend Challenge/July
    Goal 20
    Accomp 6

Change Jar 2019
    $

Christmas Fund 2019
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in! I have a stash...in several areas. It must be used or unloaded...this year...
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in for this one, too. And I'm starting today, with the sewing stash. I made two pillowcases from stash fabric, thus using up two pieces of percale I accumulated from somewhere, and I also made a travel case for the Crock-Pot that lives in the camper. That'll help protect it from scratches and rub marks and dust. Here's a pic. It's just a simple bag but that's all it needs to be.

For the bag, I used up two quilted place mats I bought to make this type of thing from, some blanket binding, another scrap of quilted material for the bottom, some thread, a long shoelace, and one of those cord lock things.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am in again for this year.

A few of the areas I will be working with: (Or maybe playing with will be more accurate.)

My stash of fabric, new and recycled. I plan to continue making little animals and other small projects. I plan to go through that area and get it under control. I have three storage cubes designated for fabric and it is over flowing now. I want to try to fix that. I hope this weekend to wash the old sari fabric one more time and make a decision about it. (I am taking off Monday, so that counts as part of the weekend.) I had brought up this a few times. I bought some old saris (these are the long pieces of cloth women wrap around themselves for clothing in India) to use for fabric yardage. But they have a slight "old" smell to them even after washing. And they are thin fabric and a bit wrinkly and the fabric is a bit fragile. I am not sure what I would do with them, but I am having a hard time getting rid of them.

I hope to finish my bear by the end of December. Next on the list is a penguin.

Next is the yarn/crochet thread area. I have allowed myself four boxes of storage for this and I am down to three. I really have been using this up, so I will buy some more, but I will keep it within reason.

The next area is the recycled paper drawer which is very full. This is pretty bits of paper I from various sources - mostly cards and calendars that I plan to make stuff with. I have done a little bit of this in the past, but I collect it faster that I use it, so some weeding is in order.

Another big question mark is my colored pencil stash. I have a bunch of new pencils I got, but I also have a lot of old partial sets of pencil from the past. I am not sure about what to do with them. If I keep them, I at least want to organize them better.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

2015 was the huge pre-retirement stock up but that's done and now I have to just coast on the stash. I will allow some sale books and audiobooks but craft supplies only if something is necessary to complete a project. I'll be focusing on needlework and beading. Painting is on hold until I move.

Today I'm housecleaning, working on the mistletoe cross stitch, and continuing the bead sorting

Thanks for starting this, Niko!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kathy, I'm sure you've tried Febreze on the old-smelling fabric. Can you hang it in the sun this summer for a few days? I wonder if it would help to boil it.

D, it sounds like you're having fun. I still haven't found the pattern for the beaded wolf I need to work on.

I also still need to get the cushion covers pieced for the glider rocker frame I salvaged from the dump. I want to get that done and out to my office, so it's out of the LR and where it's needed.

I'm getting a little overwhelmed. Now that the pool table is gone, so many other projects are possible and I'm not sure where to start. I think I need to set some limits and priorities.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    II hope this weekend to wash the old sari fabric one more time and make a decision about it. (I am taking off Monday, so that counts as part of the weekend.) I had brought up this a few times. I bought some old saris (these are the long pieces of cloth women wrap around themselves for clothing in India) to use for fabric yardage. But they have a slight "old" smell to them even after washing. And they are thin fabric and a bit wrinkly and the fabric is a bit fragile. I am not sure what I would do with them, but I am having a hard time getting rid of them.
    Shove in a garbage bag with kitty litter? Or charcoal? The kitty litter thing is used by book sellers on Ebay all the time for older musty books.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge July
    $

Grocery Challenge/July
    Goal $250.00
    Total $

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/7

No Spend Challenge/July
    Goal 20
    Accomp 6

Change Jar 2019
    $

Christmas Fund 2019
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy, if you can get the smell out of them and still don't want them, let me know. I might be willing to take some off your hands, depending what they are (if they're silk) and how much you'd want for them. I hook old silk sari ribbon and silk yardage into my wall hangings. I'd be after blues, greens, yellows, reds, purples...

I am going to try and make a list of projects to complete this week. We'll see how I do... It will be more than handwork projects. I have a lot of different areas to work on.

Registered User AspiringToBeFrugal's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I MUST start using up my scrapbooking stash. I have SO much paper, so many embellishments, and too many to count projects that just haven't gotten started or completed!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The good news is that when I checked them, the smell seemed to have dissipated. Two of them I cut some out to keep. Generally for saris there is a bit on one end that is fancier than the rest of the fabric. So I cut that part out to keep. The other one I am keeping for now. I probably will not use the whole thing, since it is a lot of fabric. But I will wait and see how much I use. I have decided that for my recycled fabric I will not be concerned with using every bit of the piece of fabric.

The fabric is in a plastic bag in my craft room. I have not taken it out to the trash yet because it was poring down rain last night. Peanut, the fabric is a boring brown. Sorry, but I have a fondness for brown. I will post pictures later.

I am also getting rid of a small handful of other recycled fabric. And I pulled out some bits of clothing that should fit when I lose more weight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am in. I have way too much craft supplies. Actually I have way too much everything. This is something that I need this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

"Peanut, the fabric is a boring brown. Sorry, but I have a fondness for brown. I will post pictures later."

That's okay. Glad the smell seems to have dissipated and they are going to be useful to you. Hate to see a good sari go to waste!

Today I have two sets of company at different times, and grocery shopping to do. Could get interesting... But it will be fun! Will work on my project list later...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I worked on the chair cushion covers some more today and got some good progress going there. I finished and cut the fronts and backs and got started on the sides of the covers. I also cut out the cushions. I'm hoping to wrap up that whole project this week and get the chair out to my office and out of the LR. It would be nice to scratch that off the list.

I also washed a load of fabric for the Days for Girls project, so I can start cutting those out later today, maybe this evening. The plan is to make 25 bags, 24 shields, and at least 25 liners. I'll see how much I get done. I may be too ambitious for the amount of time I have to work on it all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's great to have some people aboard - welcome everyone!

I'm going to spend most of the week on organizing and planning. There are still a few things to do in the apartment too. I need to discard or pack away work clothes (yippee!) and do some work in the kitchen too. I also need to think about what I want to do in addition to the cross stitch. Since it's a Christmas pattern I may or may not do all three section now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a picture heavy post coming up with the saris.

2016 Use It Up Challenge-sari-cats.jpg

A group picture of the saris and my cats. Not posed at all. One of the cats decided she really liked the pile of fabric. I had to delay working with them for a little bit because she was being stubborn.

None of these feel as soft as I think silk should feel. I thought about making scarves, but my neck is very sensitive. Anything I have looped around my neck needs to be really soft. Especially in winter when my skin is a little dry. Unfortunately, these are not soft enough. The fabric is a little to delicate for things that go through the wash regularly. I will probably do recycled animals of some sort. Or maybe I could do a belt or two.

2016 Use It Up Challenge-sari-2.jpg2016 Use It Up Challenge-sari-1.jpg

For this sari, I am keeping the bit at the end with the flowers on black, but not the tan background. Well I am keeping a little of the tan background because the black part is curvy and I just made a straight cut.

2016 Use It Up Challenge-sari-3.jpg

For right now I keeping all of this, but I will probably toss this excess when I am finished. This picture shows the fancy edge. The other bit has a nice pattern too, but more simple. I think this one is artificial silk unlike the other two that are real silk (or at least claimed to be). I am not sure if you can tell from the picture, but this has little tiny holes because it is a loose weave. So if I did an animal, I would need to line the fabric with something.

2016 Use It Up Challenge-sari-4.jpg

And number three. I am going to make something with the heavily embroidered part. I am tossing out the rest. You can see the plain bit in the edge of the picture.
    KathyB

Page 1 of 112 12341151101 ... LastLast