Being Materialistic - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD - Right counter productive. I was mostly joking.
    I would love a greenhouse. Looks like a nice frame. Just planted a plum and apple tree, my wife planted asparagus. We're turning the backyard into a food forest.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, the greenhouse is done! Except for some little support boards we have to buy 65 feet of, cut and then press-fit. Otherwise the panels might blow out. I'd take a picture but it's been a long day and I'm not walking out there again. Truthfully, we're surprised we got that far today. We're not moved in yet. Maybe tomorrow.

Bernice, making dog food is NOT cheaper, but it's so much better food we're never going back. Sota is getting a little bit of Iams every day to use it up along with his HM food, and he won't eat it until the HM food is mixed in. He hates it since getting good food. This last batch included yogurt, eggs, ground turkey, tomatoes, green beans, and mixed veggies. I got the eggs recently for fifty cents a dozen, I think it was, and the yogurt in 32 ounce tubs for a quarter each. I have a bunch in the freezer for dog food and our own use. This week I bought 24 oz. tubs of cottage cheese for fifty cents each to put in future batches. I also have an arrangement with one of the meat guys for the ground turkey, so I get that for $1.30/pound because I buy it two cases at a time (24 pounds.) The veggies I buy on sale and usually buy case lots of tomatoes and green beans. I think it costs about a dollar a day for him. He's a big dog but he's a husky and they don't eat as much as similar size dogs. Since we took our dogs off commercial dog food, they (I started making HM dog food for Sugar four or five years ago) have much more energy and their coats are so soft and shiny. Good food makes a big difference.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Where do you find food so cheap?
    Did your vet say the hm food is ok?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The yogurt and cottage cheese and the really cheap stuff is all close-dated foods. One of our local groceries gets a lot of expiring foods from their warehouse and pass the savings on to us. We can't get that all the time. I wish! If I didn't have cheap cottage cheese or yogurt, I'd be buying cheese on sale at $3/pound instead of buying the big tubs of yogurt for .25. Naturally, I'd rather pay .25 and keep the extra $2.75. I bought a gross of the cheap eggs and scrambled and froze them in one-pound packages to replace pound for pound for ground turkey, so that was a big savings. The HM food is a mix of veggies, proteins, dairy, and all the good healthy stuff dogs and people both need, so I'm always looking for stuff I can swap out in the same category as more expensive ingredients, just to save a little.

Our vets have all been very pleased to hear our dogs are now getting HM food. They know commercial dog food isn't the healthiest, too.

Once the Iams we're working on getting rid of is almost gone, I'll freeze a big plastic container of it for camping to mix in with HM food, simply because we don't have freezer space in the camper to bring along all HM food so have to stretch it with the Iams. At home though, Sota will only get HM food. And judging by the way he sits there with that sad look on his face whenever the kibble lands in his dish and the HM food isn't in there yet, I'm sure he'll be very happy at the switch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12