2017 Stash Management - Page 122
Page 122 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2272112119120121122
Results 1,816 to 1,828 of 1828
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've ground beans in my little electric spice grinder but it takes forever. I've never tried it in a coffee grinder but I've seen it suggested in recipes that call for ground pinto beans or chickpeas, and I'm assuming any dry bean is pretty much the same as a coffee bean, so I decided to give it a try. I'll know more after I get my coffee grinder tomorrow. We don't grind coffee beans here either. I don't drink coffee and Husby just bought the regular ground coffee in cans. He's in the process of switching to instant decaf now, so won't even be doing that pretty soon.

You can often use shirtweight woven fabric for interfacing, so you could use something you want to recycle if it's not too worn, as long as it still has some strength.

The Mediterranean diet is what you describe, Kathy. Meat is supposed to be used more or less as a condiment, with most of the plate consisting of plant based foods. I'm still getting used to the concept of planning the veggies as the main course and the meat as a side dish. I grew up in farm country where meals were always meat, potatoes, and opening a can of some kind of veggies or cooking something from the garden to death as an afterthought. Most of the animal protein in the Med diet, from what I'm reading, is poultry or fish or seafood, not beef. It makes a lot of sense to me. I don't expect to ever adopt it to an extreme, but I do want to continue eating less meat, and also find more and more vegetarian meals we like. If I have a good excuse to explore some of the food cultures I've been intrigued by but haven't had incentive to try, then so much the better.

Still no sewing done today, and now it's the end of the day. I did modify a wire basket though. I needed a way to subdivide the giant produce drawer in the fridge, and the wire basket splits the space into thirds pretty nicely. It just sits in the drawer so can be removed or shoved to one side if need be. It should help keep things more organized now that we have even more fresh fruits and veggies coming into the house.

I threw out the apples we harvested last fall. They developed dark spots and didn't look too appetizing. When I threw them out, there were no deer in the front yard. I walked in the house and put the bag away in the kitchen that I used to take the apples out, and when I walked back into the LR, there were ten deer out there. They hang out in the woods and we can't even see them, but they always know when we come out on the front deck and magically appear. I looked out a little later and there were twelve deer out there then. Our herd is growing. One of the trophy bucks still has his antlers and I ask him every day to drop them in the front yard for me, but so far he's not cooperative. All the years we've had deer here and all the big bucks we've had, we've only been gifted with one antler. Then again if we walked on the deer trails on our property we'd probably find a lot more.

I've been going through printouts of recipe collections I bought years ago as e books on eBay. I have them in ring binders, but there are a lot of duplicates and a lot of recipes we will never use, so I'm trying to weed through them. I have to make some more room on the cookbook shelves because I can't let the cookbooks start taking up any more room. I got rid of one ring binder so far, but have more stuff to go through. Most of the recipe collections are recipes for making groceries. I haven't looked at them in a long time except for looking up a few recipes I use often, and it's been a good review to see them again. There's a lot of stuff I might be able to use now that I'm trying to make more stuff from scratch and looking for recipes for to make different kinds of mixes and seasonings.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was gifted with a surprise this afternoon. The neighbors thought I was keeping LG and I had no idea they needed me to. Her greeting was an eager "what do we do first?" Ok. Think fast - what can I do that she can help with? I use stacked 15" cubes for binders and oversized books and had a new one so we put that together. She did all the screws. Then we gathered up boxes and trash and stashed it on the screen porch. Then I went through some cross stitch patterns, trimming them to size, and put her in charge of putting them in page protectors. Then she spotted the UPS truck so we drove out to collect that box, a much needed extra floor lamp. I got out the bulletin board and she picked out cross stitches to go on it and we pinned them on. When we finished she helpfully bent all the pins over "in case of an emergency" so they wouldn't fall (say goodbye to a bunch of appliqué pins!) At that point she was tired of jobs so I hunted a deck of cards and taught her a couple of simple games. Her mother came, and after some prodding LG was seen off. She apparently has a lot more fun these afternoons than I do and is reluctant to go. There may be one more day before she goes back to school but I hope not. It wears me out!

Our night temps will be in lower 20s all next week. It's cold now but should really drop on Sunday. We usually have a cold snap or two like that during the winter but only for a day, maybe two. It just isn't as prolonged as this will be. I do not own warm clothes so next week I will probably be recliner bound wrapped up in quilts. Last year I did get a cap and fingerless gloves. I'd better find those. I've been keeping the house at about 70 but I'll try to shave a little off that while it's so cold. It looks like it will mostly dry but there is some chance of ice. That would be bad and we would probably lose power.

I certainly didn't accomplish what I wanted to this afternoon since none of the things I did were high on the list except the trash, but maybe I can get back to it after supper.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got quite a bit done last night so I think the end is in sight. That included taking down the cube and tightening all the screws LG put in and convincing myself I can live with the crooked cross stitches on the bulletin board until she is back in school towards the end of next week. The neighbors are probably going to take trash to the dump this afternoon so I need to keep gathering that. As you know, serious reorganization and decluttering can generate quite a lot.

I hope I can finish getting everything in their new homes today. I will still have some sorting to do and haven't put up all the thread, but at least it will have an established place. How good it will feel to get all the piles of stuff out of the middle of my floors! I got all the books stowed in the cubby bins and I love it. They stretch all down one living room wall and it looks so much neater. It was expensive buying that many fabric bins but worth every penny. It is much more restful and uncluttered looking. Having a wall of book spines right in my face all the time was really getting on my nerves.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It sounds like you're sailing through the house reorganizing, D. I agree, it's always a relief to get things done.

It sounds like LG had a good time even if you didn't. She sounds like a sweet girl and pretty smart, too. And helpful, the way kids that age can be.

I got up early this morning because I had a sudden urge to finish up the run of shields from yesterday. I did that and then started on the last run of 25. Those are all done now except the topstitching, which shouldn't take more than an hour if that. I hope I can get them done yet today so I can focus on moving stuff around this weekend to see if we can improve our use of space. Supper might be stuff from the freezer so I can sew.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am using interfacing for the stiffness. The stiffness helps keep the sole in place especially since I am not gluing it into the shoe. The fabric I have seen from woven shirts is not really that stiff. Maybe it depends on the shirt? My husband's dress shirt fabric is not stiff at all. I wear mostly knit tops.

I think I might do some shoe mock ups using the fun foam.

I need to watch my timing. There is an old superstition that says you should not start a new project on the last day of the year unless it is something you can finish that day. On the other hand, starting something new on the first day of the year is said to be lucky.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I see. I agree you probably need a stiffer interfacing for soles.

I'm waiting on UPS to bring the coffee grinder. Usually they show up around seven PM but sometimes it's 3 or so. I'm curious to get it. I wish I would have bought more chickpeas now, but I have plenty of pintos to grind up for refried beans mix. I was reading in one of the Med diet cookbooks people in that area of the world eat beans almost every day, and that seems like a good goal for us too. We should be able to eat less meat if we're getting protein and fiber from beans. If I grind my own, we can avoid salt and fat, which should be good things, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I may not get as much done today as I hoped. With the shifting weather my knees are screaming at me to sit down and give them a break. The dump run didn't happen today, so I can keep collecting stuff on the porch. Sharon loves cook books and took some I no longer wanted and my popsicle molds. More stuff out. Things are moving along but more slowly than I would like. Another bead organizer arrived today so I can finish up getting those in better storage tonight. I have spent too much on them, but I love them and have no regrets.

I am also planning on probably using one with tiny containers for the thread from the Kreinik bag of bits I have. Most of them are really too short to put in bobbins, but I can sort out the many varieties and put them in the little containers. It's the most efficient way I have thought of to make them accessible and useable. That is going to be a time consuming project and is not on the immediate agenda. When it happens it will be another difficult part of the stash under control.

I'm making a quick cheat soup tonight. Canned chicken broth and tomato soup with a bag of frozen mixed veggies, clean out the fridge turkey, chicken, and veggies, and some potato or pasta. It should be good and won't take long to put together and cook.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

D, could you put the bits of thread into individual snack size Ziploc bags? I've done that in the past and it's worked well. They stay clean and untangled and it's easy to handle them and see the colors. Sometimes I've put two or three colors into one baggie and that worked okay, too. The Ziplocs could all just go into a plastic dollar store shoebox or a nice tin or something.

We're under a wind chill advisory till Monday morning and expecting wind chills 30-40 below. I'm glad we're home for the entire weekend and Husby doesn't have to go to work. I don't know what it's doing outside right now but I can't see town anymore, just a solid wall of black. Must be snowing or maybe it's ice fog like we had last weekend. I felt sorry for the UPS guy.

The coffee grinder came and it's what I expected.
    https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-BC...coffee+grinder

It's just like my little spice grinder except bigger. Since I like the spice grinder I expect to like the coffee grinder. I haven't tried it yet since the poor thing was positively frigid when it came so I'm waiting for it to warm up. I just hope it'll grind beans fine enough, like flour. The only problem I can see so far might be that it's not supposed to be run more than 25 seconds at a time.

I found a tasty-looking veggie burger mix recipe using an assortment of ground beans and seasonings, so I have one more thing to use the grinder for and another vegetarian meal to try out.

The DfG shields are done! All 125 of them. That's a nice feeling.

Tonight we used up the last of the HM brownie mix. And the last half tub of frosting, plus the last of a bottle of peppermint extract in the frosting. We're slowly working through all the bad food. The up side is I can now use the jar the mix was in for flour, since I seem to be collecting quite a variety of flours lately.

I have a set of four of these jars, which hold about a half gallon or more, and I really like them.

All in all, a fairly productive day for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Are you going to start a new stash management thread, D? I can't believe it's that time already.

I test-drove the new grinder and it's okay. I have to do small batches but that's all right because it helps to keep the motor from overheating. It does not completely grind everything, so I have to put the resulting flour through a sieve. I'm going to compare prices for grinding my own vs. buying flour. I can't get the flour here in town though. I'm also going to see how much I use the grinder. If it turns out to be a lot, then I'll revisit the idea of buying a grain mill for the KA. If not, then I can keep using the grinder since I wouldn't have to mess with it very often. Either way I think it's worth the $20 investment to experiment.

A pound of chickpeas makes about 2 1/2 cups of flour.

We were up early so I unloaded everything I needed to and we got the wall cabinets in the sewing room moved up higher and the new risers put under the wardrobe. Things function much better now. I also moved the storage containers I made from cat litter jugs back into the wall cabinets, so now I have an empty cabinet under the TV and extra space in the wall cabinets, too. I'll have to give some thought to what needs to go into those spaces. I also hung up the schoolhouse clock I bought last summer, so now I'll finally be able to know what time it is when I'm in the sewing room. All of these are small changes with big impact, which I like.

Husby's all revved up to do something else, so I'm hoping we'll still get the exercise stuff moved into the LR and maybe even dig out the base cabinets I want to repurpose into a work table in the FR. But the back porch is unheated and it's extra cold and who wants to work out there to dig out the cabinets? We'll decide later.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've had thread in bags and I really don't like it. I always eventually take it back out. Some of it is in small bags now and that's what I'm trying to get away from. When I'm hunting for something the pile slides all over the table and I just can't keep it all in order.

Last night I spent some quality time with my hammer smashing bead caps. Very therapeutic LOL. In my search for interesting stash stuff I bought some super cheap bead caps that from the picture looked very flimsy and bendable. They worked perfectly. Very satisfactorily flat. They are just what I wanted for freeform embroidery and the goldwork I want to try someday. There were two tiny copper colored ones that were, accidentally no doubt, in one of the packages. They flattened perfectly and I loved them. I checked on eBay and found sellers that had them. I think I'll venture another 2.50 or so and get gold, silver, and copper ones. I had also bought a mixed color lot of tiny crimp tube beads to check them out so I have a few each in gold, silver, copper, gunmetal, and black. I think I'll get more gold and silver. That should set me back about .80 for each. They are perfect to go with beads and would flatten once sewn on for a different effect. All of this is free shipping so it would be a small expense for some really good options. They are so tiny they may be a bit fiddly to use but in some works in mind they would be great sparklies to use in holiday projects.

Today's goal is to continue putting things away and getting empty containers off the floors onto the top of the cabinets where they will live. That will help a great deal to feel like this is coming to an end. I have some work to do in the utility room but that should only take a hour or so.

Tomorrow I'll start the 2018 thread. I assume we all want to carry on managing our stashes and chatting about all kinds of other stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I finished the knitted hat today just to be done with it. Also finished the audio books on hand.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Moving day! I'm starting the 2018 thread.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I already posted over there!