2017 Stash Management - Page 2
Page 2 of 122 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Daylily, Storm and Shadow are our two dogs. Our beloved Sota died very suddenly in September. The vets think it was Addisonian crisis, which resulted in his internal organs suddenly shutting down. We were devastated and couldn't live without a dog, so we brought home Storm two days later and Shadow two weeks later, from different shelters. Storm broke his leg in a freak accident last Wednesday evening. He has to be kept quiet because the leg has been pinned back together with an external fixator and the hardware for that is on the outside of his leg. So we lined up furniture to cut our LR in half to keep him contained. We have to be in the same area to keep them quiet. But now that we're getting into a routine and have some things worked out, I may not have to watch them quite as closely as we thought. So far, so good. The main thing is to keep them from playing. I posted this pic on the old thread, but I'll post again because visuals sometimes help explain. The ends of the pins in his leg are covered by the green fabric which is full of some kind of special cement. He has the cone on so he didn't chew the painkiller patch on his back leg, which was toxic.

Today the patch came off his leg so I was able to remove the outer ring of the cone, which is a big help to him. He can lick his back leg which is why I had to reattach the ring, but with the shorter cone he can't get to the wounded leg to lick it. He won't be running into stuff nearly as much with the smaller cone, so it'll be easier for us all.

He refuses to let us clean the leg, not good. We spoke to the surgeon this AM and she said just to watch it. If it doesn't start to ooze, we're good. He won't let me put a sleeve I made to cover it on his leg either. It's not worth a meltdown. I tried very briefly and not very hard to cover the leg, but he got so upset he made me chase him around the kitchen island a few times just to put the cone on, which he usually doesn't mind that much.

Husby will pick up meds for the ear infection tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm just treating it with hydrocortisone to keep the itch down.

I dragged out the other woodland Christmas stocking I picked up for $2 at a rummage sale a year or so ago. It's needlepoint which isn't his favorite craft, so I figured he wouldn't be interested, but he's all happy to do it when he finishes the one he's working on. It's partially done and since it doesn't involve much counting, maybe it'll go quicker for him. He's working on the white thread with the one he's doing now, and then he'll have the backstitching. It's going to be a while but I'm glad he wants to do the needlepoint so I don't have to.

Still binge-watching Sons of Anarchy. Very addicting. Husby set up the new Amazon Prime Fire and it's great, much easier than using the Wii. He's happy. It comes with Alexa too, so that's a nice perk. I think we'll probably cut back on our Dish package now that we have all this stuff to watch on demand.

I still haven't decided what my focus should be while I'm tied down. But no doubt I'll think of something. I can't work in the sewing room though. I know I have to keep Storm in sight at all times.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DC that cross stitch is cute.
    I worked on a sewing project (simple jacket) and should be able to finish it this week. I also cleaned out the recycled ribbons bag and threw out a few things while putting a Christmas stuff.

SD I am curious if you will try the yawning experiment with Storm. When he is watching you, yawn. See if he also yawns. It indicates dog's level of empathy with owner. Yawning is also a stress releaser for dogs. I am hoping you will try it and report.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, thank you for the update. I suspected Storm and Shadow were either dogs or cats. I thought you might be having some type of joint surgery that you would have to sleep in a recliner! Glad it's not you but hope Storm will fully recover soon.

dlrcpa, I'm going to try that. I'll report back when I do.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay, I'll try the yawn experiment, but in the daylight.

Daylily, luckily there was no joint involvement, just a clean break across the middle of the leg. The surgeon said there weren't even really any bone chips. I'm not surprised, considered he caught his leg between two steps as he was running full tilt into the house. Poor boy.

I fell asleep in the recliner because it's been another rough week here and I'm just so tired.

I've been sorting beads. It's boring and so tedious. I ripped beads off of a beaded applique I don't want anymore, and also from a UFO I'll never complete. I sorted all those into empty plastic bead tubes, by color, and also sorted a Tupperware sandwich box that had beads in it. Not full, but enough to be annoying. The three of them still made me pick up thousands of tiny seed beads one at a time with a needle, so they could each be put into their own tubes. Now I have to drag out my main bead stash and see if I can match up colors so the little bits I sorted today can be put in the right tubes. I have tons more of that kind of sorting to do and I'm not looking forward to it. But it has to be done sometime and I'm looking forward to getting it done, someday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ended up with two new projects over the holidays - afgans for friends. Fortunately, one is pretty much a stash-buster since I recently found a batch of dark blue yarn left over from another afgan. I only needed a couple extra skeins to make sure I had enough. The other I did buy in some yarn but found it on sale over at Joanns. I normally don't go to Joanns since I usually find everything I need over at Michaels. (Although both are close by.) But Michaels was out of the blue yarn I needed for the first afgan but Joanns had it in stock. Besides, the yarn sale ended on Dec. 31st over at Michaels but was on until Jan 11th over at Joanns.

I put the rose garden stash-buster project aside for the time being. I was getting a little annoyed with it. The skeins for that one are pretty small (4 oz each) so while I'm going through them pretty quickly, I don't feel like I'm making much headway on the project itself. I did need to pick up some more yarn for this project as well (which is how I found out about the sale at Michaels).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD I am so, so sorry to hear about Storm's injury. That is awful. That poor dog. And an ear infection to boot?? Man...I'm just so sorry. I'm relieved to see they were able to do the surgery near home and hope he progresses quickly and heals completely. His age is probably a plus for him to heal quickly if dogs work the same as humans? But keeping him quiet will be hard.

For my stash management I really need to stop falling in love with projects I see and do some of the ones I currently have. LOL. I have a tendency to see a sample project online or in a store and think "how cute, I need to do that". I get the stuff and get busy with other things and boom...it sits. Gotta be better about that.

So my goal of sorts is to work on my backlog of projects.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've always loved reading this thread every year but don't craft so can't participate. You all make me wish I did Keep posting. Others enjoy it too.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You could also do stash management in other areas too. Someone mentioned books. I think I have a book stash issue. But most of my books are both mine and my husband's so that makes it complicated. I think my books will stay a glorious mess.

It terms of crafts, have three main stashes: yarn, fabric, art supplies. I also have some miscellaneous stuff.

Yarn: I may have over bought just a little. I may change my yarn shopping from a big once a year thing to just making smaller purchases when I get low on yarn. Yarn is mostly something I have to keep my hands busy. It is hard for me to sit still, especially when I am socializing with people. I do not have goals for my crochet. It is more like general plans of what kinds of things to make.

Fabric: I am doing good on my fabric storage space. I have almost a full empty box to play with. My current thing right now is stuffed animals. I have an on again, off again thing with making shoes. Right now I feel like I am more leaning into modifying them, but it goes back and forth. My shoe needs are very quirky. Most commercial shoes do not fit and/or feel comfortable to me. Sometimes I wear ballet shoes - not ballet flats actual ballet shoes. Right now I am thinking of modding some ballet flats. They are canvas and easy to sew onto and cut.

I have a few small fabric purchases that are on the way. I may indulge myself with a few fabric purchases. I am trying to keep it in check though. It take me a week or two to make a stuffed animal and that only uses up about a quarter yarn of fabric.

My newest animal:

The bear made from the old sari.

2017 Stash Management-sari-bear-2.jpg

Art supplies:

I think I have enough of them. I am going to stop buying them for a while unless I run out something. I may get some small things, but I will mostly refrain. I technically have enough storage space for them, but it is not a good space. It is hard to find things without moving a bunch of stuff. I am thinking of getting rid of some of the miscellaneous supplies to clear one additional drawer for the art supplies. I have a drawer filled with paper scraps and I rarely do paper crafts. I might be able to empty that out or at least week it out enough to combine with something else.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kathy - the bear is so cute. i like the fabric. you did a good job.

SD - glad Storm is healing. Bead sorting can be a snore that is for sure. A good use
    of time and when you need them they will be all ready.

I am over 1/2 way with the lapghan. I am really happy with the way the colors look. I
    think i will have enough to finish so no need to buy more yarn.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

KathyB you got me started thinking of mobiles for some reason. Use up fabric scraps, ribbon (I make little stuffed fabric hearts) paper for orgami figures and beading materials to create a mobile. I wonder if these would sell. Office decor, home decor. Need to try a prototype.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hikr, the surgeon said Storm being so young is a big plus in his favor. The biggest problem we're having now is, as the vet tech I talked to today says, he's very dramatic. She has firsthand experience with Storm's drama since she had to help the vet in September when Storm started screaming at our vet Chip and had to be taken out of the room, at which point he was muzzled and, I assume, held down, screaming at the top of his lungs (we don't call him Foghorn for nothing ) and throwing a huge tantrum. All because Chip wanted to look in his ear, which normally he doesn't care if it gets touched. I'm sure people in the next county heard him acting like someone was killing him. At any rate, it was SSDD when we tried to put the newly acquired ear meds in his ear tonight. Husby finally picked him up so he couldn't get his legs braced against anything, and I tried to hold his head still while squirting the stuff in the ear. Not sure I succeeded. The screeching was deafening. He definitely has a mind of his own. I'm working on getting him to let us touch his leg, but I'm not sure that's going help anyway, because I can touch his ears all day every day without a problem, but he just freaks out if I have the meds in my hand and is screaming and carrying on and trying to bite before I even touch him. We've never had a dog act like that. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just the ear, but we're afraid while he's acting the fool he'll hurt his injured leg. He's okay with me touching his leg too, but doesn't want anything put on it. The Betadyne does not sting and the sleeve I tried to put on the leg so he wouldn't have to wear the stupid cone for the next six weeks got the same reaction, before I even got near him. I thought maybe if I just laid the sleeve, made from soft, worn tee shirt cotton, over the leg while he was laying down he might get the idea and be okay with it. He acted like it burned him. He's being a weenie. I've given up on that idea but he has to let us clean that leg. He can't have eight holes in his leg for a couple of months and not have those wounds cleaned so it won't get infected. The surgeon said to just watch and make sure it doesn't get infected but that doesn't seem like a good idea to me, although I do trust her judgment. I hope we can get him past it all.

One of the meds he's on now makes him drowsy, so that's helping keep him quieter. And luckily Shadow isn't usually the one who starts playtime.

He's already starting to put a little weight on his leg which surprised them at the vet's office, because he did that already the day after surgery. His foot is still swollen but the surgeon said it will be till he starts to use it more, because the blood isn't being forced up his leg by walking on it.

Niko, please feel free to join in anytime!

Kathy, your bear turned out so cute. It seems like you got it done really quickly.

EB, I got through seven bead project boxes today. I have one or two left that I've found so far, but I'm sure there are others. I want to get down to no more than four boxes and make sure I sort leftover beads after every project from now on. It's crazy to have all those boxes with a mixture of colors sitting there for no reason. I have my big tackle box and six bead trays that hold about 300 tubes of beads all spread out on the family room table. It's actually going pretty well. I think I'm missing some tubes of beads but they'll turn up. My bead stuff has never been sorted and properly organized. Some of it is sorted and always has been, but I have a long way to go, several boxes and all the stuff in the bead cabinet yet. I have a lot of junk beads too, and I'm hoping to donate most of those just to get rid of them. I have some other bead-related stuff I can dump, too. Maybe it won't be as bad as I think it will to make it all fit where I want it to.

I'm trying to decide where to put a few dozen packages of crow beads that are in a little suitcase in the bead cabinet right now. I really hate having related stuff spread around instead of all together, but I don't have much choice in this case. I'm sure it'll work out.

Husby just informed me the state is talking about another shutdown this year. Last time it cost us a couple thousand dollars in lost wages and we opted to delay building our side deck, which had already been started, to help offset the loss. I hate when governing bodies can't manage to do their damn jobs and get a budget done by their deadlines. Hopefully it'll be settled before it's a problem. Otherwise we'll do what we did last time, cancel a vacation or two and stay home and work on the homestead using materials we already have. It's not like there's nothing to do around here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD that's good his age will help but what an ordeal. And he's not exactly being Mr. Cooperative! Hopefully as this goes on he'll settle down and realize you're just trying to help and will let you minister to the leg and ears as needed. We had one cat that was dramatic about going to the vets and your comments about him back in September when Chip tried working on him are very similar to our experience with Skittles. At home he was happy, cuddly boy and he rode quietly to the vet office and I though "oh what a good boy". Yeah...we got in the exam room and I usually let the cat out of the crate so they can walk around and sniff etc. I opened the crate and Mr. Quiet Boy walked out and started with this low guttural growling. I was scared to bits. It was the most awful sound. I made a move to pat him and he just snarled so I stepped back and stood by the door. LOL. Vet comes in and he reacted the same to her. She asked if I was comfortable holding him while she examined him and I said "absolutely not". I have never been afraid of one of my pets before but he was terrifying with his growing and snarling. So she called in the tech and they took him out back and I could hear him howling, snarling, hissing etc. She comes back in with him and said "he has the most beautiful teeth! He showed them to me and I didn't even have to ask". LOLOL! So he earned himself a big sticker on is chart for caution in handling They loaded him in the crate for me and we had a quiet ride home. He got out of the crate when we got home and was right back to being himself all cuddly.

That stinks about the potential shutdown.

Kathy I like the bear!

dlrcpa mobiles sound cool! What a good idea.

Hi EB! Yay for not having to buy more yarn Always nice to have enough to finish the project on hand.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went through this with Storm when I tried walking with him in September when he just came home. He had a complete meltdown in the middle of the road because he didn't like the leash. He was rolling around, kicking and screaming on his back, trying to scrape the leash and harness off. Good thing it's a low traffic area because the way he was acting I probably would have had my face bitten off if I had to pick him up and carry him out of traffic. He just has very definite ideas about what he will and will not do. But I think he'll get over it once he realizes we're not taking no for an answer. The ear is relatively easy. It's the leg that has me concerned because obviously we can't do anything to physically force him to let us clean it. So far it looks good and clean though. Husby brought home the Betadine so once I can figure out how to deal with him, maybe we can give that a try. The usual procedure is to apply it with swabs, but that's not going to happen. I'm hoping I can drip some on with an eye dropper but that's going to be tricky.

More bead sorting for me today, but that won't take long unless I turn up some more stuff. I'm going to start clearing out the bead cabinet so I have a place to put stuff away as I sort. I'm hoping to get through that fairly quickly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ear drops - do you warm them to body temp before trying to put them in? I stick the bottle in my pants waistband for 10-15 minutes to warm it up before trying to put in the dog's ear. I think it's less noticeable that way. Possibly betadine same thing - if it's cold it will be noticed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I thought about that but I don't think that's the problem. He's just weird about objects. He came from an abusive, neglectful situation so my theory is someone did something to him that caused his outsize reactions to things. But I think he'll adjust.

He's laying on the couch and I've been petting his bad leg. He couldn't care less. His incisions all look good though, so that's a good thing.

I'm stuck on the couch now till he gets down because I have to be right here to help him, so it's a good excuse to surf.

Page 2 of 122 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast