2017 Stash Management - Page 3
Page 3 of 122 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hikr00 - Hello! I saw your name yesterday but forgot to say welcome back. I always enjoy
    your posts.

SD - Too bad you can't get the sleeve on his leg and take off the cone. Sounds like he is doing good with putting weight on the leg. Continued healing. I thought too that he was remembering past incidents at his first home. Some things you just can't forget.
    That is alot of beads. Glad you are working thru them and dumping what isn't needed. Hope the job shutdown doesn't happen.

dlrcpa - I don't have any pets but I know the yawning thing works on my husband. lol

mobiles - now i am thinking about them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had to give one of my cats ear medicine a few weeks ago. She raised a huge fuss. Luckily, I am stronger than a cat. I am not sure if I could do it with a big dog.

I got one of my little fabric packages yesterday. It is four fat quarters. A fat quarter is a quarter yard of quilting fabric. The package was pretty small, about 3 inches by 4 inches. It was maybe 1 to 1 1/2 inches high. I think I could easily fit 25 packages (of four each) in my fabric box and still have a lot of space left. And that would give enough fabric for around 50 month of stuffed animal making.

So I am thinking that the fill up the box with fabric plan might be over kill. I really do not need that much fabric.

I may eventually take it down to two boxes of fabric. The big space hogs are the bits of clothing I use for recycled crafts. I may get up to two stuffed animals from an old shirt, but it takes up much more space than a half yard of fabric. I can generally get a stuffed animal out of a quarter yard of fabric.

This year may be the big clothing alternation/recycle event for me. I am gradually loosing weight. I had previous thought that fall would be when I decided to either alter my current clothes or just cut them up for scrap fabric projects. However, I have been able to get by with just taking in some skirts and wearing a wide belt. The clothes are loose but not too baggy. Also, I felt like any clothes I get now will be loose or baggy by next winter. Even if they are just thrift store clothes, I am not sure if I want to get a bunch of clothes just for a few months.

I think when I switch to my spring/summer wardrobe might be the big event. And maybe again around October when I switch back to the cold weather clothes I am wearing now. So that is potentially a huge influence on my fabric acquisition.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Spirit... just a thought. How about a spray bottle of the betadine? You know... spray it when he isn't prepared for it? I know it stains so maybe when you take him out? Just a thought.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kathy, if you cut the clothing apart at the seams and then folded everything flat, the recycle stuff would take less space.

EB, I finally did get his new legging on! After about five tries. He was not happy, but not completely freaking out like the other day. We had words, and it wasn't pleasant, and he even growled at me. But he also knows if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy, and finally decided it was in his best interest to grudgingly allow me to put the sleeve on him. He licked it all around the top when it was first on, but since then doesn't seem to notice it much. We're still going to have to watch him closely so he doesn't start to chew anything, and I think he'll have to wear the cone at night because he could do a lot of damage to the fixator and to his leg while Husby sleeps. Husby is sleeping on the office floor for the duration because we can't take any chances Storm would fall or jump off the bed. We want to get through this healing period ASAP with as little drama as possible and for sure don't want him to get hurt again. But the cone is off for now and so far the sleeve is working. Luckily it's a perfect fit and doesn't have to be adjusted. He had a conniption when I tried to measure him for it before I made it, so there was a lot of guesswork involved. All of us will be much happier without the stupid cone during the day, plus he's already broken it twice and I don't want to have to spend another $14 to replace it, although of course if he needed a new one we would. Without the sleeve he'd have to wear the cone at least five more weeks, so we're all better off with the sleeve. That thing is so big it flops up and down with every step he takes, so I'm sure he's a lot happier without it, plus he can't groom himself or scratch anything or do any other usual doggy stuff to care for himself with the stupid thing on.

The really good news is that he's been standing on all fours quite often today! The swelling in his foot is almost gone. He's not walking on it yet but he's putting weight on it and I can tell he's standing on it and not even noticing that's what he's doing. That seems like fast progress to me but then I've never had a broken bone, so maybe not. It made me very happy when I noticed though.

I'm not getting a thing done today. He's been sleeping a lot and I don't move AT ALL when he's asleep, because I think it helps him heal to stay still, with a little movement every now and then of course. So I'm not going to disturb him. Today's been kind of a bust for bead sorting or anything else, but that's okay.

Niko, we thought about a spray bottle but he has a meltdown over that, too. I got a good look at all the bloody spots today and everything looks great so far. He's been getting massive antibiotics, so that's helping I'm sure.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got a bunch of stuff for y'all today. First, I went ahead and bought the tiny rag doll pattern as a project for when I'm recuperating. I'm going to do the cutting ahead of time and make a little kit with the pieces, pins, needles, etc. make something – ann wood handmade

Second, Aldi is advertising a crochet kit! https://www.aldi.us/en/weekly-specia...b-crochet-kit/ I have always wanted to crochet cute little amiguri animals. I'm going to get one tonight. Otherwise I have to go out in snow tomorrow.

And next week they get the hyacinths!

This is my most recent scrap quilt. I got tired of sewing squares, so I cut them into triangles. The cat is helping. I am going to add more rows.

Name:  DSCN9889.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  26.8 KB

I have enough to make two lap quilts. Some design options for #2:

Small diamonds

Name:  DSCN9891.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  27.9 KB

Large diamonds

Name:  DSCN9892.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  31.0 KB
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi, everyone. Lots of good stuff going on!

Kathy - the bear is wonderful. I think the sari fabric turned out great. Dressed in a sari it's obviously a girl. She needs a pretty Indian name.

Better you than me, SD. You are so patient with them. They are very lucky dogs to be there now.

I have the new cross stitch pattern books for little things, and today I went through all my other patterns and picked some others I would like to work on this year. One I chose is dolphins swimming over a coral reef. It is colorful without being gaudy like many reef pictures. I loved it when I first saw it on eBay- it's from a magazine. I've had it several years now and always pause over it but then go on by because of what I didn't realize when I bought it. It's keyed to Anchor thread, and as I have whimpered here the conversion to DMC is an approximation and just doesn't work if there's any shading. So today, despite good intentions, I ordered thread for the pattern. The only Anchor thread I have is for one other picture, a ufo, of hydrangeas. To my happy surprise I already had three of the blues and a green for that one. I can't get Anchor anywhere locally which is a real deterrent to doing a few of my patterns that turn out to require it.

Today I got the last few containers I need to finish organizing the stash so I will be working on that tomorrow. I was going to town but it took about 30 seconds to talk myself out of that. I have to go Monday for a doctor appointment so if there's time I can do a few things then.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CH - I love the quilt. As we know I have a 5 year old's love of bright clean color.

I looked at the rag doll. It's cute, but I fell for the wobbler birds. Someday. Someday. Not this year. I also really liked the black cat.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

She does have a bunch of cute patterns. I liked the rabbit and squirrel set.

I got the crochet kit. It does not have much yarn, only enough for two animals, so I think I am going to get some more to practice on. I saw this on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/Lion-Brand-Ya...SPVQK7S6H6EF3C and it has some nice colors for doing the other animals and the bird, but I don't know anything about yarn so I don't know if 2.8 oz is a lot or a little.

I looked at the instructions and it is definitely something that will take time and focus.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Aww, I love the amigurumi animals. Especially the raccoon. Those are on my radar, too, but I'm trying to get some other stuff done first. Rav has some patterns I like. Sounds like a good plan to make some while you're laid up, and the rag doll too. I like to make sequined felt Christmas ornaments from those kits, sort of the same thing as hand-sewing a tiny rag doll. Your quilts are as pretty as ever. You do much nicer work than I do.

Congrats on the reef project, D. It sounds pretty. I'm surprised, with your eye for color, that you don't just use DMC and pick colors with the guidance of the pattern's picture and your own great judgment.

Storm flung himself on the floor and laid flat as a rug for twenty minutes this morning, whining the entire time. He really is a drama queen. Luckily I know him well enough to realize he was only carrying on because Daddy left him and went to work. He doesn't realize someone has to pay for that fancy device he's sporting on his front leg. He's better now. The routine was disrupted around here for the holidays, and then he got hurt and things got even more disrupted, plus it was a trauma for him mentally and physically. I'm sure he feels insecure when half the alphas are out of sight. He has to readjust to the usual schedule. He had just barely started to realize this is home and he's not leaving, and then he was horribly injured and got left at the vet where he got hurt some more before he got to come home. It's a setback in so many ways for him.

He got his ear squirted last night and it was a battle but not as bad as the night before. He'll get used to it about next Tuesday, when he gets the last treatment. He's doing great with the sleeve on his leg. He licks the top but stops as soon as we tell him to. He's smiley and waggy again, so he's feeling better and, I'm sure, pleased to be cone-free during the day. He can groom again and I'm sure that makes him feel better physically and mentally because he's normally a tidy boy. I snapped a shot of his leg sleeve. It looks like both legs are inside it but it's only the left one. Naturally, it has to fit fairly loose so it's covering the other leg a little bit. He's doing well with it and I'm so glad. The sleeve is nothing special, just a tube with a drawstring, but it's so much better for him than the cone. I'm still working with him to get him used to the idea it's okay if we touch the leg and that he's going to have to let us look at the wounds, and I'm also hoping to get him to let me disinfect them. Baby steps with Mr. Drama.

For some reason, he likes that little rug we put over the floor vent so he'd quit catching his claws in it. He has big thick pads to lay on but he'd rather be mostly on the cold hard floor. Go figure.

Still working on the beads. Then I think I'll start sewing the rosettes on the knitted baby gowns. I'd love to get those off the project table and into storage. They only need rosettes and ribbon ties and they'd be all done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Stormy just walked about five feet using his bad leg! Wow! I'm so excited to see that. He limped, but he kept using it. He's making such great progress! Gotta call Husby and tell him!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The blue afgan I started recently is coming along. This is the stash-gan that will go to a friend. I only started a week ago but it's already covering my lap and starting to cover my legs. I'm on skein #4. I may work on the RG stash-gan over the weekend since that one's longer and covers my legs and feet. The temps will be getting cold over the weekend. Then again, the more I work on the blue one, it will get longer faster. But I feel like I'm getting more work done on it since the skeins are bigger.

I did start the second afgan for another friend, although that's just the first row. That makes it easier to pick it up later and get going on that one. I don't know when I'll be seeing the friend again in order to give it to her so I'm not as worried about getting it done as fast.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got another little package of fabric today. This one was a yard of cherry blossom fabric. I will do one wide belt which takes half a yard. There will be a bear or other stuffed animal that takes around a quarter yard. That leaves a quarter yard for something to be determined.

I got my big shipment of yarn yesterday. It fits in the boxes, just barely.

I am not crazy about the Herrshingers afghan yarn. I have not tried crocheting with it yet, but it is not as soft as I had hoped. And I picked up 6 large 8 ounce balls of it. Fortunately they were on sale for $3 each, so it will not be much of a loss if I do not keep them. I will try crocheting with them and see how it goes. Not sure if I will keep them or not. I do not think I will buy it again though.

I have three favorites that I think I will use in the future for lap blankets and other projects. The yarns are Willow Wash, Premier Ever Soft and Debra Norville Everyday Soft. They are more expensive than the standard afghan yarns, but they are still pretty reasonably priced. I think it would be the difference between going through $5 of yarn a month or $10 of yarn a month. Maybe $15 on months I crocheted a lot. I am not very fast at crochet, so I go through yarn relatively slowly.

I also got a few random balls of yarn. I generally will get one ball each of some of the yarns that are marked way down. My husband suggested I should make more cat toys. One of my cats, Marty, has already selected a ball of yarn for himself. It is a yarn called teddy bear and it is a very furry yarn.

I also have some yarn that ordered off eBay from a Turkish company. I have two packages of four balls. One is called Magic Light and is shades of yellow. I have not done anything with it yet, but it seems pretty soft. The other one is Dancing Baby and is pink/gray/white. It is not as soft as the other yarn, but I think it is still decently soft. I will see how it works up. Both of them are a little thinner than the standard worsted weight size I often work with. But they are not super thin. I think I could do a lap blanket with them. It would take slightly longer, but not a really long time.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH - I like the black cat and the sailboats. something for everyone. Can't decide which quilt I like best....they are both very cute. Hopefully this will be the year I find a sewing machine. I think those Bon-Bon yarns are very small and thin. Unless they have more than 1 variety. I saw them at Hobby Lobby once but have never tried. Aldi's sure does have great unfood items. I find alot of things on sale.

dcomp - Glad your going to do the dolphins. It will make you think of warmer weather as you stitch.

SD - I like those amigurumi animals. I look at them all the time on Pinterest but they are small. I do not know how they get them so neat. Might try one someday. I wish I had the ability to choose colors. When I cross stitch I have to go right by the chart. I have no eye for color I guess. So glad to hear that Storm is walking on bad leg alittle. The recovery might be faster than you anticipate and that is good. He looks quite content on the little rug.

I always look at the felt kits but have never tried one. They always have them at the Thrift Store so maybe I will try.

ren - I have a small table in front of my chair that I use for puzzles. I am crocheting a lapghan now and i just keep it up on the table. Last night I decided to check my length and I was so suprised that about 3 more rows and it will be perfect. I just love it. I think unless something else catches my eye I will make the pillow cover for my office chair. I bet your friends who have received lapghans are nice and warm.

Kathy - Sorry the yarn wasn't as soft as you were hoping but maybe it will turn out good for crocheting. I have had some Debra Knorville yarn and loved it. A couple months ago I treated myself to some yarn from Wool Warehouse in the UK. Priced good and shipping was just a few $. I think its the nicest yarn I have seen in a while. I have a couple projects in mind that I will want to use better yarn for so I will be ordering again. Beautiful colors too.
    The cherry blossom fabric sound pretty. Put up a picture when you get done.

Not stash management but I lost 2.6lbs to start off the new year. Well, I guess I used up some fat so that would be stash management. lol Have a good day.

I think I will have the lapghan finished by weekend and will post a picture.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

EB, I'm doing some of that same stash management here, too. So far, so good. I'm focusing on tracking my food and giving myself a sticker on the calendar for each day I track and stay on my plan. I hate tracking and have to make myself do it, which is stupid, so I expect success this time around as long as I keep up with tracking my tracking. I'll use any dumb thing that works for me, so if I stick some leftover garage sale stickers on a calendar and it works, I'm golden.

Storm is walking on that leg more and more today. I'm so happy! Maybe 'normal' isn't as far away as it feels now.

I got the dishwasher loaded and scrubbed the sinks. One thing I know for sure, for fat management, a clean kitchen is a huge help. Mine will never be spotless but room to cook makes such a difference. I love to cook but it's no fun if I have to spend two hours cleaning and decluttering before I can get to the cooking. Ironic today since we're having leftovers so no cooking needed. But now I'm ready for tomorrow.

Storm has decided he's healed enough to chase cats again. Doofus.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think I have seen the bon bon yarn packs. They are designed for projects where you just need a little bit of one color for a project.
    KathyB