2017 Stash Management - Page 4
Page 4 of 122 FirstFirst 12345671454104 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know the people my Mom used to give the lapgans did appreciate them. Most of the afgans I give to friends are full sized afgans (~twin sized) and I know those who get them really appreciate them.

I found a couple of places to donate lapgans once I finish them (if I don't have a specific person in mind for it). Not sure if I will donate full sized afgans to the same places. If not, I know I can drop them off to one of the local churches so they can donate them to a local charity.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks Kathy. A knitter friend tells me they are sold at Hobby Lobby, so I will check there and compare the size vs the balls that came in the kit. None of the instructions tell me how much yarn to start with. Is that normal in crochet? I saw a demo video and they looked pretty small in the woman's hand. Maybe I'll need two, and with 50% off coupons the price won't be bad. I'll also look at what else HL has.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH, amigurumi animals are so small they shouldn't take much yarn, just a few yards, way less than a skein. If your knitter friend has any little tiny balls of scrap yarn, ask her if you could beg a few, especially if you're not fussy about colors. Wait and see how heavy the yarn is in the kit though. Thicker yarn would need a bigger hook and make a bigger figurine, so you'd need the kit yarn to compare the thickness with any scraps you could get.

Also remember if you get stuck on an unfamiliar stitch or procedure, YouTube is a fantastic resource for knitting and crochet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay, I took a quick peek at Rav and it looks like some of the patterns for amigurumi animals are bigger than what I think of. But if you can tell by the instructions in the kit how big each figure will be, maybe you could compare that with the sizes and types of yarn on some Rav patterns to get some idea how much yarn they might take. But they still should take small amounts, not big skeins.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH - I think maybe the Bon Bons would be ok for the amigurumi animals as they are small.
    I don't know how small your balls of yarn are that came in the kit but you might be suprised
    at how small the whole back of Bon Bons are. I would think those kits would have enough for
    the project pictured and maybe alittle more.

I second You Tube if you get stuck.

Chasing cats already! That boy is healing fast.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The balls in the kit are 2.5" across, and there are 4, orange, white, black and brown. The brown is supposed to make a 6" fawn, with small white and black accents. The orange and white makes a 3.5" fox, it looks like he has a 2" tail, with black accents. Some of the other animals in the booklet are up to 8 or 10" long.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always think of tiny things for amigarumi, stuff that's an inch or two high. I guess I'm out of touch on that subject.

I think I might finally have a solution to the storage problem for the rosettes I make for the baby gowns. I haven't been happy with anything so far, but this AM I was inspired to subdivide an empty plastic drawer using two cat litter jugs (salvaged from the recycle roll-off when Husby took our stuff last time) and three half-gallon milk jugs. I really like it. I need to find a different scissor, but one will turn up and the little one will work in the meantime. But this new space will be convenient to the other supplies and should be big enough, finally.

Another cold one here today, 20 below this AM. Wind chill has been around 20-30 below lately even during the day. The high yesterday was six below. Once it gets that cold, the details really don't matter much. It's supposed to warm up Sunday, into the twenties. People on the news were talking about tee shirt weather then. Typical Minnesotans.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

20 below?? Glad I don't live out there. Brrr. I've too long on the East Coast to even want to consider that. I'll leave it to you Minnesotans. A manager used to laugh when I complained about winter weather - he had lived several years in Syracuse, NY. I told him - it's not the snow that bothers me, it's the driving on icy roads that bothers me.

Still, the cold weather makes me grateful for the wool and alpaca blankets I made for myself a few years back. I prefer to sleep under a pile of blankets than to crank up the heater. I can control how warm I get better with the blankets. I hate sweating when sleeping.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're generally good here unless it gets colder than 44 below. Then the propane freezes up and we don't have any heat. Not good. Of course the cold is worst if you have to be out in it for long periods, like the heat is in the south in summer when people have to be out in it.

Different strokes, I guess. We keep talking about vacationing out east but then every time we look at a map, we decide to go out west again. There's just so much congestion on the east coast.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We had a little dusting of snow yesterday. Our first snow of the season.

I have mixed feelings about winter themed crafts. Winter themed things are good for the whole season, as opposed to the Christmas themed things which are put away in early January. On the other hand, our winters are not particularly wintery. It does snow here sometimes. But it is not winter= snow like many places. It is more like OMG, there is white stuff falling from the sky! Getting enough snow to build a snowman is not something that happens every winter.

Crochet patterns generally will have amounts listed, but only for things that take more than one ball. If it is something that clearly takes less than one ball, specific amounts will not be stated. (With some experience it crochet it will be easy to tell is something takes less than a ball of yarn.) So you would have something like, Valentine Blanket: 4 balls white yarn 4 balls pink yarn, 4 balls red yard. But for a a smaller item it might look like this: Polar Bear with Red Scarf: 1 ball white yarn, small amount of red yarn, small amount of black yarn.

Fabric pictures

The cherry blossom buds is a one yard piece of fabric. The other fabrics are my set of "pink" fat quarters. I have pink in quotes because one of them looks more purplish and one is a more of a burgundy. (It was labeled as a pink set, but I did have accurate color picture of what the actual color was.) I like all the colors though. This brings up an interesting point about fat quarters. I see them sold individually and in sets. Generally, the price per piece is better if I get the whole set. But sometimes there are sets where I like some colors but not all of them. If a bought a set of four and threw one away, it would usually still be cheaper than buy three individually. But I would feel bad about tossing a brand new piece of fabric I just got.

2017 Stash Management-pink-fabric.jpg
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You'll be able to do a lot with those fabrics, Kathy. Very pretty either together or used separately.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Those are really pretty fabrics. I would be happy to have any of them in my stash, even the purple one. If you don't like the fabric you can always use it to test new patterns on before you cut your "good" fabric. Or it can be made into a gift for someone else.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kathy, I forgot to say if you do Christmas things and want to use them a little longer before or after the holiday, nobody's going to care.

I'm re-working the afghan I partially disassembled to make chair sets. I made the one for my recliner as sort of a big pocket, so it slips over the back like a pillowcase. That chair is leather and it's slippery, so nothing stays in place if it's just laid over the back, and I can't use those corkscrew things on it because it's leather. After I finished it I discovered it makes a great lapghan. I think I mentioned all this before. I like it so much I decided Husby would probably appreciate a lapghan, too, so I'm going to redo what I've already finished for the back of his chair, and make it bigger. It won't be just like mine and I have to try to make it longer somehow because he's tall, but I think it'll work out okay. It'll also use up much more of the granny squares. I'm hoping I can get down to just a few of them left, if any, so I can toss them guilt-free. I'm trying not to collect too many bits and pieces of things that don't have a likely use for me.

I was sailing along on the new/revised project but SOMEBODY has found his voice again and I got a huge, loud lecture about something or other, I think because I wouldn't let him play with his sister. Poor boy. He's feeling good and can't understand why he can't do what he did two weeks ago. I walked around the house with them so they'd get a little bit of light exercise (me, too) and they're asleep again now.

The weeks have been flying by so fast the past couple years, I just want to put the brakes on. But since Storm's accident, the time cannot go fast enough. I just want my boy to be healthy and whole again, so we can all get back to a normal life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Still a bit to do on sewing project (jacket). Used up a spool of thread. I only have 2" knit on the green hat. The pattern is knit for 6" then start the decreases. I'll layer and pin the tan and beige small quilt as the next project when I have time. Dealing with winter & cold seems to take so much energy. I have been finishing 2 library books, maybe that is where the time went this week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I made the rounds of the craft stores today, mostly repurchasing gifts for the two packages I have to re-send. Of course all the fun christmas stuff I bought last month is all gone now.

Joann's had the yarn bon bons, and OMG they were tiny! Like, the size of a bite-size snickers bar. They didn't have the colors I wanted, and it seemed clear it would not have been enough to do more than a bracelet or a couple of pom poms from one.

I went by the recycled fabric store and bought some tiny calico prints to make tiny doll dresses. It was .39 for the amount I needed and I got 3-4 colors. I also bought a ball (skein?) of Caron Sportweight in creamy white to use for practice. It was 1.50.

Use it up, Wear it out,