2017 Stash Management - Page 5
Page 5 of 122 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got the biggest part of the lapghan/chair cover sewed together. Maybe tomorrow while we're watching Sons of Anarchy and trying to keep Storm quiet I'll be able to finish that project.

Other than that, nothing much going on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Everyone is so productive! I'm still fiddling with storage. In and out of various containers as I refine what works best in what. I'm nearly to the end of it though, I think.

This weekend I'm going to mess with a crochet project I have planned to do for several years but find it infinitely postponable. I got some slipper patterns that came today. With only the phone and no computer here, online patterns are just too hard to deal with. I hope I can make something in a way that doesn't irritate my ankles like socks do. With all tile in the house the floor is really too chilly right now for bare feet. Unfortunately, one set uses bulky and the other cotton and of course I have neither of those. For the bulky I can try two strands of worsted or one of worsted and one of DK. But I am probably looking at good bit of searching to try to get the gauge right. That's why I love making lapghan. Gauge is irrelevant - lol.

Monday is taken up with in town stuff, but I hope to get back to the cross stitching in the evening. We certainly don't have winter weather here by most standards - though it's supposed to get down to 23 tonight - but I like wintery cross stitches. Now I'm working on the January cat from the calendar pattern. Actually I think I never wrote the post about it I intended too. If I did, skip the rest of this. I bought a once in a lifetime Heritage Crafts pattern. They are so expensive I always just surf on by them. But I was looking for a set of monthly motifs and the calendar cats patterns were cute and looked quick and easy. I was at least right about the cute. I pulled thread for January, a piece of Aida, and put in exactly two stitches before I saw this was doomed. I had to pull them out and start over with 28 count evenweave. Thank goodness for wide ranging stash. It has few normal diagonal half stitches, but is full of vertical and horizontal half stitches and whole stitches offset half a stitch from the others. I can't begin to imagine doing that on Aida, what a mess it would look like when it was finished. On the 28, it's not hard, it just takes some really careful attention to the pattern and as little skipping around as possible. It's coming along well, but I was not expecting that little surprise. January is a cat curled up in front of a fire.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have one cat that likes to be under the fire. Congrats on having the right stash fabric for the project.

Today will be the day I finish the chair set project, I hope. I just have to do the border on the last piece. It's a fair size but since we have to sit around so much I should have the time. After that I'm not sure. So much to choose from.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

After "sleeping on" the slipper yarn issue, I've decided to wait a few more days. When I go to the doctor appointment on Monday, I'll be just a few blocks from Michaels. I think I will go by and pick up a skein of bulky yarn. with luck I'll find a coupon. It will save a lot of vexation trying come up with the right gauge, and after I've done some with that I will have a better idea what I should use from my stash yarn to substitute a double strand. Anyway, I should probably get something non-skid for the bottom. The book suggests puff paint. Is there something else that would be better?

This is not stash. This is clothing - lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Your Saturday trivia: I read a report of a scientific study last night that I thought was interesting. You've all seen the bird head tuck position where they turn their head back and bury their face in their feathers. I always thought they were sleeping but apparently that's not the reason - makes sense since I often saw my finches asleep but not doing that. Apparently a substantial portion of birds' body heat loss is through the beak, so it's a way to keep warm. It turns out the colder it is, the more time they spend in that position. Also the larger the bird's beak, the more time it tucks it in its feathers.

Live and learn.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dcomp - For slipper soles you can try sewing on some tacky shelf liner or under-rug liner. Duck and Con-Tact and I believe Rubbermaid make it, you can probably find at Target or Home Depot or home-type store.
    Michaels will accept Jo-Ann coupons if you have those.

I hate half and quarter-stitch in cross-stitch. The Santa ornaments in progress for several years have a lot of these. Also I find metallic floss to be a nuisance.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can buy rubbery non-skid stuff at dollar stores, too.

Interesting about the birds. Huskies do the same thing when it's cold out, curl in a circle and put their tails over their noses.

I'm closing in on finishing the last round of border on the chair cover/lapghan. Still haven't decided what else I want to do today. I should work on the baby gowns to get them finished up but I don't feel like it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the non skid idea.

Dircpa- the partial stitches are much easier if you use even weave and work it over two stitches. That gives you holes at the half way points and you don't have to crunch down through the solid Aida block. It also works up more neatly. It takes a bit at the beginning to get used to counting over two stitches, but it's ok when you get the hang of it. Whenever I have a pattern that calls for a lot of partial stitches, even weave is always my first choice. Before I used it 28 count sounded very tiny and hard to see, but it's no harder than the aida because the holes are more prominent.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

These Santa ornaments were a kit with Aida provided. I'm about half way done, mostly completed 4 of 8 Santas. It sure is tedious though. I have more ornament kits that were given to me as gifts. Hope to get them all done some day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hello all - A very bright sunny day here. Still cold but no wind. I am on the final rounds of the
    lapghan and hope to finish it tonight.

Sounds like everyone is busy with some kind of project. SD - a cute cat under fire place. It
    does look warm and cozy.

The bird fact was news to me too. I would have guessed sleeping.

I am watching Weather channel to see the storm in the south. It sure did get icy. I have to smile when they say they got 4" of snow. I just saw the new storm in California is really dumping the rain.

A good day here.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I need to go down and clean in the basement, but it is so sunny this afternoon I am having trouble finding motivation.

This morning I ironed fabric and cut out the doll pattern pieces. Cut muslin pieces for the body and marked the sewing lines. I'll cut out some dresses next.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got the chair cover done. I think it'll work out nicely.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I ended of comfortably napping big chunk of the afternoon so I'm probably good until the wee hours. We didn't get any snow. It fell out of the forecast before the cold arrived so that was a relief. 4" sounds like nothing up north but it paralyzed us in the south. Also when temps start bobbing up and down across the freezing point that pretty snow can become treacherous ice. Some years ago we had a big and very widespread ice storm and I knew people who did not have power restored for three weeks. We're supposed to be in the lower 20s tonight but back up to the 70s by Tuesday afternoon. It will be welcome.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

dcomp - i hope you didnt think i was smiling because the south got snow and ice. i know it
    shuts down the whole state. my statement was meant as being from the north and hearing 4"
    makes me take notice. i hope all are safe in the south and that it warms up soon. it looked like
    people were staying off the roads during this storm so that is good.

i have about 1.5 rounds and my lapghan is done. will finish it in the morning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always feel bad for areas like yours that aren't prepared for that kind of weather. You're right, up here 4" would be considered a nuisance snowfall, but we have lots of these:

And lots of these in assorted sizes and the choice of gas or electric, self-propelled or push, ride-on or walk-behind. We personally own three:

And of course we can also kick it old school. There are four sitting on our side deck at this very minute, and at least one outside every door we own:

We start training 'em young:

Everyone is expected to help:

But people who live in the north country know how to make the most of the season once the work is all done.

What can I say? Things are slow tonight here. I'm glad the worst of the storm missed you.

Page 5 of 122 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast