2017 Stash Management
Page 1 of 122 12341151101 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 2017 Stash Management

I'm changing the Challenge title from Use It Up to Management, since a stash of it's very nature is an in and out sort of thing. (I stole this from Kathy B.) it can be any kind of hobby, craft, DIY stash.

As always it's "your stash, your rules." This may be a year to focus on using it and adding little. Or to concentrate on stash building, as I have done for retirement. Or just to manage the in and out flow so it doesn't get out of hand.

Along the way we share what we're working on, successes and less than successes, ideas, our goals, and just chat a bit too.

Come join us. This is a thread where we share what we do for fun.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

2016 was a lost year for crafting for me. Now it's time to settle back into a routine and start reading and crafting more.

Today is the official end of the stash building. I know you've heard this before but it's true this time. I have collected a wonderful stash to support the crafts I'm interested in for a long time to come. So my rule this year will be to add only if I have to have to get something to finish a project. I hope this will be mostly confined to floss, maybe some sewing thread. Absolutely no new patterns or new crafts.

I still haven't completely settled how best to organize the hoard. There are a few things I want to change and I will probably do that this weekend or next week. I'm going to focus on cross stitch, at least for a time, so I need to get that part of the stash in the most accessible location.

I got more sheet protectors yesterday, so my project today is to go through some pattern books and remove what I want to keep and toss the rest of the book. The complete books aren't earning their shelf space. As for organization, my whole (reading) book collection needs some work. I will probably spend most of next week trying to more or less finalize the storage and organization.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just delved into the stash here to make a 'leash loop' for Storm management. Picture the end of a leash, the end your wrist goes through. I made a small loop like that with a snap hook attached right to it. I'm hoping it'll work to leave it on Storm's collar all the time, so we have something easier to grab then his collar. He's like an eel and so quick, and we have to be able to control him with no warning so he doesn't hurt himself. I used up a snap hook that, for reasons I can't really explain, has been sitting on an end table in the LR, and a few inches of nylon webbing.

Still working on converting the granny square afghan to chair covers. I have the set for Husby's recliner done, and now I'm trying to figure out how to do the one for mine. Mine's leather so I can't put those little corkscrew things in to hold covers in place. I think I have a plan though so I hope I can finish that up today. I'll have to think some more about how to do arm covers, or if I even want them.

I found a future UFO this morning I had forgotten about. I have a ton of white crochet cotton and had hauled out the stuff to start making blocks for a tablecloth. No idea why. Maybe a dresser set would be better. I can decide later. But now that I'll have to be sitting around so much the next two months, I think I'll be starting that project. It's not something I plan to finish anytime soon.

My goal in 2017 is to get my sewing room and all the craft stuff organized, purged, and sorted so it's all finally under control. I say this every year so it remains to be seen how well I do this year. I've made progress so maybe I'm within striking distance finally.

I'll be confined to the LR for the next two months, so I'm thinking I might be able to move all my bead stuff out here and finally get that sorted, purged, and organized. I can't just sit around and don't want to do all make-work projects like the tablecloth squares. I have to make some forward progress on the house and it would help a ton to get the bead stuff dealt with. I'm hoping I could do that without taking up too much space while I did it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good morning - Stash Management is a good name. Sounds like everyone has good plans and goals for 2017. I am not making any goals or plans since my stash is small and I have no budget for craft items at this time.

I am working my the granny stripe lapghan and just really enjoying being back to crochet. I am thinking that I will continue crochet and make a cover for the pillow I use on my office chair. I have a pillow case now but I can do better than that..............I might have enough from the lapghan to make a matching cover.

I was just remembering when all the 2015 thread switched to 2016 and now....................

Happy New Years Eve to everyone. Have a good evening.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The woman I took dog obedience lessons from called this a "tab" and I see that nickname used on Amazon for example as "training tab". Exactly what you described. I carry a light employee-type badge lanyard in my dog-walking pouch as a "emergency" leash. You could also take one of these and double it up to use the same way.

2017 will continue to be "use it up" for me. I still have fabric suitable for garments to sew from, nice stuff. Nobody sews any more so they give it to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My stash is for paper crafting. I have what seems to be a whole scrapbooking store worth of materials--paper, stamps, ink, cards, etc.--just waiting to be used! I worked on a homemade calendar for my mom for Christmas, but this is the first time in months that I've actually touched any of my stash. I need to move it out, so making a few things a month is my goal--primarily working on scrapbooks for my kids and creating cards.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I usually only have "1" stash ... my books.
    Apparently, I underestimated how much it
    had grown. I have boxes and boxes, piles
    and piles ... I have decided this year is for
    reading, reading, reading. My plan is for 150
    books to leave here read, possibly more.

This year I made the "mistake" of making
    a new 101 in 1001 list. The site has all kinds
    of ideas and I decided to try a bunch of new
    things I always wanted to try. I have spent
    all year "gathering" supplies. I now have 6
    plastic drawers full. Add several instruments
    (mostly small but not all).

So, stash needs to be used and go down !
    EmilyD

Change/Piggy Bank Jar Challenge (I use it for my clothes allowance)
    All silver change into piggy for 1 year (Oct 2019)
    Household savings account $200.00 monthly, current bal. $2600.00
    My savings: current bal. 100.00
    Pay extra on mortgage/loan/auto $50.00 @ monthly

Projects for 2018: Done
    Replace wooden pathway with concrete
    Cemetery Plots and burial plot for kitty
    Payments for cemetery products $80.00/$1875 per month x2 yr. begun in March 2017
    Pay off old and closed credit card

Projects for 2019:
    New porch (from dh's vacation fund, this summer)
    New garage door (next week, $900+tax)
    Hire out yard clean-up, bush trims, weeds ($400)
    Major declutter house (in progress)
    Major declutter garage (in progress)
    Re-decorate my bathroom (in progress)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Welcome everyone!

I ended up working with the print books this afternoon and evening. I reshelved everything and as a reward for my industriousness, I ache all over. But it is good to get it done. I sorted out all the unread ones and shelved them together. I also did some culling to give them a little breathing room. I moved my craft books to an easier location and since I doubt I will be painting yet this year, I moved the painting books into the bedroom. I'm ready to roll with the reading!

I've decided a word that needs to be banished from my crafting vocabulary is "goal." It's probably just me, but as soon as something is framed as a goal it becomes something I feel like I must accomplish. It Becomes an obligation or a job. I clearly just do this to myself, but henceforth I think I will just have aspirations. No more goals for Donna. Just things I would like to do.

This last year was so busy, I just want to finally be able to luxuriate in being retired. I intend to keep reminding myself that I don't have to accomplish anything ever again unless I really want to! So Sunday I would like to keep working on the organization. It may or may not get done. Lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am going to set one main big goal for myself this year related to crafting: Set up my new craft room!

Hubby and I made an agreement that he could have the basement (except for storage parts) as a mancave and I will get our fourth bedroom (we have master, home office, guest bedroom - fourth was being used as hubby's home office, but he doesn't need it anymore with his present job). So I get to convert that to a craft room.

But I haven't done squat to get started yet.

I need to clear it out, choose what kind of furniture I need and move all my craft stuff upstairs from the basement.

I may just go ahead and hire an organizer for a day to get me off my procrastinating butt!

I really want to do it, but I just can't seem to make myself get started as it's a fairly good sized job. Hmmmm I need to go take pictures of everything. That usually inspires me to get started.
    2018/2019 Pay Off the Windows Challenge: $26,886.34/$31,057.34 (Goal: Pay Off By 12/31/2019)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think I bought more yarn than I used in 2016 (end of 2015). Thing do not always line up neatly in years for me. I generally have one big yarn purchase a year. Sometimes it is in later December, sometimes it is early January. So some years I have two and some I do not have any.

I had a little crochet slump where I did not do much. I may need to rethinking how I buy yarn. Maybe small batches a few times a year as I run out.

More on other craft supplies and stashes later.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I will continue in the same vein as previous years. No new purchases unless it helps complete an existing project. Notions and basic supplies like thread, quilt batting and backing, pins and needles, glue, interfacing, storage containers, etc aren't counted. I will give myself a $20 allowance for spending at hobby shows. My goal is to enjoy using the wonderful fabrics and supplies I have accumulated and not become an episode of Hoarders.

I will think about more specific project goals when I am back on my feet later in the year.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, I fall asleep one time in my sedative recliner and the place goes nuts! Looks like everyone is getting in the stash management (love the new title!) mode already.

No lanyard would hold our maniac, but that's a good idea for a small or well-trained dog. Storm is still a puppy and not yet trained to walk on a leash, so he's all over the place. His lack of training will be dealt with but not now, of course. He's also a breed that has been bred to pull over millennia, and he's stubborn as all get out, too. Typical Sibe. Even injured, he's strong as a small ox and very fast.

Marie, if I may offer a suggestion about your new craft room. (Congrats, btw!) Sort, organize, and purge before buying much for furniture. Until you know what things you'll be keeping, you might not know which kind of storage you need. There's a thread you may want to look at about reorganizing craft and sewing rooms. https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/...anization.html
    You might find some useful ideas there. If you can get an assistant like the one pictured in post #8 in that thread, that might be helpful too. I also highly recommend looking at tall, narrow entertainment centers. They hold a ton of stuff in a fairly small footprint. Actually, any high cabinet should be considered, assuming it offers the correct size and shape of storage. If you shop secondhand, a lot of times that kind of thing can be had very cheap because people don't want the old style entertainment centers anymore. We got most of ours for $10 each. We even curb-picked one for my mom for free when she needed something massive to store her multitude of cookbooks in.

I got a sewing machine moved into the LR so now if the dogs will cooperate, I should be able to get some work done on the Girls project.

I'm planning the same as you, CH, not buying much new stuff and continuing to work through what I already own. The exception is the stuff for my Girls, of course. I also plan to focus on making more baby gowns. I need to keep an inventory on hand in case I hear from the hospital in Spearfish that they need more. I sure hope not, but I need to be ready in case.

I finally washed the overly dusty UFO humming bird cross stitch I was working on a few years ago. It had gotten left on a cross stitch stand and I forgot about it. Stuff has to be kept covered around here or it's filthy right away. That's drying now. Since I'll be stuck in one place I decided I might as well finish it off. I don't think there's much left, and the one it matches is already done. If I can find that, I can get the set done and hung up before too long.

I got the back made over for the leather recliner and that's going to work out well. It's just a rectangle closed on three sides that slips over the back. That'll help keep it clean, and it'll double as a lapghan as a bonus. I think I'll like it.

Storm's having another good day but he won't let us clean his leg where the pins go in. So he's going to the vet tomorrow. The brat. It doesn't hurt him but he just freaks out and runs away if he sees anything that remotely resembles anything we might want to clean his leg with. We're afraid to hold him down like we need to because we're afraid we'll hurt him. We may end up driving him into town every weekday to let the vet techs do it. He's been like this since we got him, over-reacting to little things. He also has an ear infection, because apparently he doesn't have enough problems. And his foot is swollen. We called the surgeon yesterday and she was very positive, so we're not overly worried except about him not letting us clean his leg. Overall he's doing great, putting some weight on his broken leg, play bowing, even peeing on three legs at times. They were surprised Friday that he was already putting weight on the leg, but I guess that's a good sign. Shadow is doing great, too. They had a terrible fight the night Storm got hurt, and we were concerned that would continue. There were a couple growls when he came home but she's been fine since.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

2017 Stash Management-image.jpg

This is the little cross stitch I finished a few days ago. The tiny ones are fun. I'll probably do a bunch of them this year.

I outsmarted the phone too. I took the picture sideways so when it flipped it I finally won. Ha! Take that Mr. Smarty-Pants Phone!!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have pictures, too, I'm just too lazy to upload them right now.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess I've missed a bunch of posts!

Spirit Deer, why will you be confined to the living room? Who are Storm and Shadow and what happened to Storm? I hope everything heals up well and they continue to get along better.

Page 1 of 122 12341151101 ... LastLast