2018 Stash Management - Page 101
Page 101 of 151 FirstFirst ... 51919899100101102103104111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 2256
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

ren- I’m sorry for the loss of your friend. That’s always hard.

Feeling under par last week escalated into full blown sick by Sunday afternoon. That’s pretty rare for me and I don’t do sick patiently. Fever, chills, nausea, some achiness and headache. It almost felt like mild flu and it’s slready in our area, but there is no way I could have been exposed in the incubation time frame. Anyway, it didn’t last long enough. Maybe food poisoning? That last bit of turkey may have been a bit dodgy. I should have frozen part of it. Anyway I survived and am mostly over whatever it was.

That was a good thing because my phone died dead on Tuesday night and I was well enough to drive to town to replace it Wednesday. I also got a haircut. I did NOT plan to buy a new phone. Sigh. Life happens.

The worst of this is that no housework if any sort has been done for a week and a half and it’s not just messy. It’s really dirty. There’s a mountain of catchup to do. Sunday through Tuesday I just tried to lie very very still and slept away the days.

I walked back a fabric decision I thought I had made some time back. The fancy Celtic Snow cross stitch pattern that I first bought the Threadworx floss for - I really wanted a deep purple overdyed fabric but decided it was just too expensive. The pattern was just the size that kicked it up to requiring a half yard rather than quarter cut. So I decided to just use navy but wasn’t happy about it. Today I ordered the purple. (Since I hadn’t already spent enough on a new phone). I love the pattern, have bought fancy floss for it, and there will be so many hours of work in it, I’m not going to spend every one of them wishing I had the purple. It may be a little tricky because it’s designed for evenweave and this is aida. Spacing on some of the free floating special stitches will have to be shifted to have the center align with a hole instead of the middle of an aida block. It should work though.

That’s my life and really not very hard times. Little by little I’ll catch up with everything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, dc. I hadn't really kept in touch with her over the years but we had a lot of mutual friends and interests. This is the third friend who has died in the last 8 years from this group of friends.

Finished skein #5 and started skein #6 on my wb afgan. Skein #6 is one of the skeins I picked up over the weekend. I thought it was a green variegated one but it's actually a pale yellow and dark blue variegated one. It does have some green in it due to the color changes and I'm finding it an interesting mix.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad you're better, D.

I got the outside side pocket on my bag. Something is still a little off about it but nobody is likely to notice, so I will just ignore it. I also got the outside front pocket sewed, just have to sew it to the bag. I also sewed the zipper pocket to the inside lining and made the 4 inside pockets. Long story why, but I had to apply glue to the zipper pull so want to wait for that to dry before I sew on the last outside pocket. I can't sew in the lining till the outside pocket is on.

I used up most of the chunk of fabric I started with, so just have a good size scrap left to go back in stash. I'm happy about that because I don't have much other use for it. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but for this project it doesn't really matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I’m still happy I ordered the purple fabric. Lack of buyers remorse is usually a pretty good sign it was the right decision for me. There will be a lot of it left over and I have a lot of winter patterns that should look good on it.

As always, the house clean up has to start with the kitchen. I’ve also too long put off trimming up the houseplants. The survivors that thrive in this environment are thriving almost too well. In another year or two at this rate they will be overwhelming the living room. So today is kitchen and plant day. Tonight I will probably cross stitch again.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Working on the quilt today. I got it laid out and safety pinned. Tying every 4" or so. It's pretty dull and I'm taking lots of breaks.

Watching the storm news. I hope people evacuate. Haven't we learned enough from the other hurricanes in recent years?
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't get why people don't leave when they're told with those storms. I like my stuff as much as the next person, but I can't think of anything I own I'm willing to risk my life for. And IMO it's just wrong to put others' lives at risk to save people who were warned to get out. I saw on TV this morning in some places they make people fill out next of kin forms. I guess that sometimes makes people reconsider staying.

The genset arrived on a 70 foot semi trailer and is now in the back of our truck. No way would that truck have made it into our yard. It might be interesting getting it off our truck. It's not that big but it weighs 200 pounds plus the pallet it's on. I'm curious to see the manual so I can start planning the shed we will need to build for it next year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - I agree. I really feel for those who don’t have the means or ability to leave or must stay for a legitimate reason. But little sympathy for those who could evacuate but choose to stay just to guard stuff or because they prefer being at home or out of bravado. It may be their last opportunity to finally learn it isn’t the wind - just a category 2 - but the water that’s the real killer. I love to be in a normal thunderstorm but never ever want to be in a hurricane. I hope those folk have better luck than they deserve.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Going to a quilt show today. I have $20 budgeted. IIRC this is the show that has the big rummage sale so there should be good deals. Of course, I haven't used a fraction of what I bought last year. Depends on what they have. Also going to JA for the fat quarter sale, looking for one specific print. Should be a nice day out.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm envious of your day out, CH. I hope you find all kinds of great stuff. I'm already looking forward to the pics.

I know there are good reasons for some people to stay home in a hurricane, but most people you see talking about it on TV don't seem to have one. But of course the most outrageous stuff is usually what gets attention.

I didn't think it would go so fast but my bag is all done! I had the inside pockets assembled and ready and since they're just patch pockets, they were quick to sew to the lining, which was also partially constructed. I was also planning to sew the lining in by hand but decided to try doing it on the machine, which of course sped things up. It all went well so I didn't have to take time to learn new swear words either.
    2018 Stash Management-20180914_081239_1536941291985.jpg
    2018 Stash Management-20180914_104246_1536941376696.jpg

At any rate, I can move on to other things. I need to get back to sewing angel gowns, and decided to try making one-round crochet hearts to make little keepsake pins for the parents of the lost babies. Since losing a baby often happens without warning, they may not have any other chance to keep something their baby actually wore. It won't be much, but I know if it was me, even such a small simple thing would mean a lot. I plan to include yarn the nurses can use if they want to use the heart for a necklace for the baby and then the parent can remove that to wear the heart as a pin. The nurses will tell me if all that will work or not.

Still don't have the bathrooms cleaned.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CH - have a great time at the quilt show, and good luck finding more of the JA print.

All I got done on the kitchen yesterday was stage 1 dishwashing. I need a new plan. “Just do it” is definitely not working. First, I will make a do list (a great way to put off actually doing anything) breaking tasks down into bits. Then I think I’ll start on the kitchen house autumn placemats with a timer going off every 30 minutes with the aspirational goal of getting up and doing something on the list. That probably won’t work either. I’ve settled too deeply into lazy just-enjoy-myself retirement.

On the autumn Quaker cross stitch I’m up to the last motif to finish the area where the count was off. After I finish that and put something in the area where the pattern has a large slot for the year, that I’m not going to put in, I will probably go back to the blackwork for a while.

The purple fabric is due Monday. When that comes I will cut it and pack everything away in in a project box, ready to go. I need to get a lot of the quilting done before I start a project that I know will absorb my attention.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I'll crochet some mini-pumpkins but need to buy orange yarn. That could be fun. I still have a few $ on the gift card to AC Moore. Sometime between now and Thanksgiving anyway.....

I cut a large Asian winter squash that grew from the neighbor plot through the fence into mind. Told hubby we won't know what it is until I cut it. Tried looking on the internet at pictures with no success. Certainly hope edible since it's basketball-sized.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What a day. I started off going to the bagel shop, because I am out, and when I got there realized I had forgot the donation quilts and my camera. So I went to JA, because it was on that side of town, too look for my fabric. They did not have any of the grey FQs left. Ok, that project is finished. I went to look at patterns because I knew they had some on sale, and I picked out several. Then I checked the sale flyer and realized that not only is the FQ sale NEXT weekend, but Simplicity patterns were on sale YESTERDAY. Sigh.

As a consolation prize I selected several >1yd pieces from the remnant bin and got out before anything else happened. And I went home and got the quilts and my camera.

The show was nice, they had a lot of vintage quilts on display. I didn't see anything that really popped out at me this year but I took some pictures. About 1:45 I decided to check out the cafeteria, they were offering lunch, drinks and desserts.... but I was too late and they had closed up.

I did pretty well at the rummage sale. They were selling yardage for $1-2 and I got 2 large pieces, and a dozen or more FQs and fat eigths for .50 or $1. It added up to $28. Oops. I had to put some back and dig change out of my pocket to pay for my goodies. It made me a little sad, but really I don't need it, especially with the JA purchase. There was some truly lovely new fall fabric in various booths and I just had to walk away from it.

Have not seen the porch kitties for 2 days. I am feeling a little concerned. I hope that someone has scooped them up and taken them to a shelter, but I have no way of knowing.

And on top of that some friends we were having over to visit in 2 weeks canceled on us. So today was a bit of a downer.

SD your new bag looks great! Looks professionally made and everything.

DC, glad you were feeling better and able to get a little cleaning done. That first step is always the hardest. I like to make a list of tasks that need doing, and then pick an choose what I want to work on.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like the universe was out to get you, CH. It's nice you found some goodies though. Hope your kitties come back.

Thanks, about the bag. But... it actually is professionally made. 😊 I think I will like it.

I finally repaired the couch cushion Shadow chewed the corner off of 2 yrs ago when she first moved in and her anxiety was so high. Poor girl. I don't think she smiled for the first year. Now she's all grins and wags. I don't know why it took me so long to fix it. I guess I've been waiting for more damage or something.

I need to make the detachable towels for our new kitchen aprons. I keep hoping to find a cheap towel at GW that would go better with the southwesty feel of the aprons, but I think pine cones will have to do. It's that or snowmen, and at least the green towels go with the green in the aprons. It's just for us so it doesn't really matter much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Just a few minutes after I posted that the cats showed up, at least mom and boots. Haven't seen the stripey one but she is more skittish. Boots let me pet him! Or I should say, he put up with me touching him while he gobbled food.

I took photos of everything and will do show offs over the weekend, so there is something to look forward to.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad your kitties are mostly back, CH.

Today is cleaning day here. My cousin I haven't seen since I was 15 is coming tomorrow. I hope he's not anticipating House Beautiful. 🙄

We came home this AM to a house full of dog messes. We weren't sure what was wrong till Husby went into the dog yard and found a giant swarming wasp nest. Our poor babies. We knew messing in the house wasn't like them. Other than that, nothing wrong. They're getting better.