2018 Stash Management - Page 105
Page 105 of 151 FirstFirst ... 55595102103104105106107108115 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 2256
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It was windy here today too, we are expecting a weather change.

I went and got 2 tubs and 3 photo boxes. They did not have a great selection to chose from. I consider it an improvement however. The plastic tub of paint takes up half the footprint of the cardboard box, and we can easily see what is in it. I also cleaned out two small totes from years ago. We used to use them to carry craft supplies but quickly outgrew them and they filled with junk. Well, now they are in the donation box on the landing, and the trash is where it belongs. I still have a tub to fill, once I can identify what should go in it.

Glad you got your work stool fixed up.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Should finish skein #6 on the wb afgan either today or sometime this weekend. Have about a row or two to finish but given the weight of the yarn, there are a lot of stitches. I'm still plugging away at it despite being frustrated with all the work at times. At least I know I can pick up another project when it gets too frustrating.

I also need to wind up some of the yarn I bought from the sheep and fiber festival. It's yak hair/wool yarn that I plan to use for another afgan for myself. It's also fingering weight (iirc) and I'm pretty sure I need to pick up some more.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I did finally get some things put away yesterday. Today I need to clear the big work table and get the sewing machine turned around and arranged to use on the opposite side of the table. I had grouped all the small cut squares for the fall placemats but knocked them all off on the floor when I was cutting other stuff so now I have to do that all over again. I seem to be really good at making extra work for myself.

I got a little done on the Celtic snow pattern, but spent most of the evening working crossword puzzles. I seem to be slipping deeper into the craft doldrums. It’s probably just the end of a long, hot, nearly rainless summer. We have a fair chance of rain over the next week. That would probably make me come more alive. Gloomy weather doesn’t depress me - it’s unremitting sun that wears me down. Oh for a good thunderstorm and a week or two of gray skies!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WM is our go to for plastic storage, usually. Lots of options and generally reasonable prices. I'm also fond of cat litter pails and jugs, as you know. It all depends what works for the items being stored and the space for the storage containers, of course. I actually love figuring out storage, and it just delights me when I get a great system worked out. Maybe that comes from living my entire life in disorganized chaos, but I hope being happy and excited about organization never changes for me.

Today is all about cooking for me. After today I will have a pretty good stash of WW-friendly food ready to go in the freezer, to help me stay on track on days when cooking isn't what I want to do. So far today I made chmichangas, enchiladas, and have 5 pounds of Italian turkey sausage roasting now, so it will be ready in the freezer as needed. I need to get salisbury steaks going too. All those and meals made earlier this week will give me a good inventory.

We might be going to GR tomorrow. Wish JA had better sales right now. OTOH, maybe I'm not finding anything because I don't need anything.... Wait, that's never stopped me before. 😆

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

dc, you can have my gray skies. We've had gray skies on and off for the past couple of weeks. At least the temps are comfortable (in the 70*'s). It doesn't drop much at night (upper 60*'s for the most part) but that's still comfortable. And we've had a pretty wet summer this year as well.

It's supposed to get a bit cooler over the next week so having a couple of projects that cover my lap is nice. As much as I've been complaining about the wb afgan, it covers my lap and goes partially down my legs at this point. So it is coming along, if slower than the worsted weight yarn afgans.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Whew! That's a lot of cooking done! And stuff used up from the freezer and pantry, although it's going back into the freezer in a more usable form. I got 28 assorted servings of stuff we both like, plus 2 cups cooked brown rice and 25 Italian sausages, which will be 5 packages of crumbles to use in recipes. Those are Jennie-O brand and their packaging takes up lots of space. I'm going to put the crumbles in Ziplocs which will free up some space in the freezer.

I think we will stay home tomorrow and see if we can deal with the lilies of the valley we dug up the other day and get the frame made and leveled for the ne section of boardwalk. I don't see any outstanding sales, and we don't desperately need anything. Fall is slipping away too fast.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I try to avoid WM if I can, I seldom have a good experience there. Last time I bought storage tubs I was shocked to find out that while they had the same brand name and part # as tubs I had bought elsewhere, they were smaller and flimsier with lids that didn't stay shut. Either knock offs or 2nd rate merchandise. I have read that WM contracts for cheaper quality products from famous makers, and that is one way they keep prices down. And I'm sure I told y'all about the 4 hour debacle when I tried to return a cell phone that had been improperly activated. Against my better judgement DH went there again Tuesday to get a SIM card for my new phone and it took us 3 DAYS to straighten that mess out and get the phone working. I hate shopping there. It's just not worth the hassle EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Anyway....

Great job getting everything cooked down to an edible format. That will make things easier in the future.

It was a grey and cloudy day here. Nice change from the relentless sun. I like weather to change once in a while. I went by Michael's because DH likes the last candle I got there, but they're all sold out. I drove by JA and said "eh". Even though the FQ sale is today I already know they don't have the fabric I want, so I didn't tempt myself by stopping.

If it is cool tomorrow I should get some yard work done, too.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hear ya about WM. We mostly buy consumables there, like 1/2 gallon jars of olives for $8. We don't buy electronics there, or lots of other things, won't do mail order from them ever again, try to avoid anything we can't visually inspect out of its package, check to make sure packages are unopened, etc. But certain things we've had good luck with. Some stores are better than others in our area, too. I like my little sewing machine I bought last year, but I used the heck out of it as soon as I got it home, to make sure there was nothing wrong with it. Can't blame you at all for not wanting to go there though.

We really like WMs when we travel though. They are easy to spot and get to from interstates, have big, trailer friendly parking lots, and we know what items we're likely to find there. It's a handy place to restock groceries, too. We like checking out small local stores if we have time, but sometimes we don't. WMs do have their purpose at times.

Didn't plan to, but I loaded up the dishwasher and cleaned up most of the wreckage from today's culinary adventures. Still have a few big pieces left but I'm just too tired.

Still loving my "new"rice cooker, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Stash building for me today. I picked up 7 yds of pink gingham check at GW, half price at $3.50. No plan for it, but it would go a long way on a quilt back some year. Or kitchen or bedroom curtains if we move.

I'm still searching for the right balance between stash busting and stash building, but trying to be selective. I just know money will be tight once Husby retires next spring, so the more cheaply acquired stuff I have to work with, the happier I will be.

Also got another hand towel for the aprons for .50. I've been looking for one so I can make spares. I should be able to get those done before long. They were kind of fun to make.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Our first day of fall is so beautiful! It was 50 this morning but has warmed to 64. I had to dig around for slippers, and they fit! So happy to be able to wear them again. I want to do some quilting today, but we have been making good progress in the basement and I hate to let that momentum slip.... maybe a little of both.

Great deal on the fabric SD! I try to only buy fabric if I have a solid plan for it, not a 'maybe some day' or a dream project. It sounds like pink check could be used for a variety of things. It could be a cute easter tablecloth, even.

Hope everyone is having a productive weekend.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Happy for you about the slippers, CH! I know what a long road that's been for you.

That was my thought about the fabric, too, that it's flexible.

We picked up lumber this AM and framed the new boardwalk. We got it in place and leveled and were working on bolting on the legs, but it's been overcast, chilly, and breezy all day with rain in the forecast. A light drizzle started so we had to pack it in. Can't get the tools wet. But the hardest part is over now, getting everything level. We're hoping the weather cooperates tomorrow so we can get the project done or at least cut. That will make a big dent in the pile of decking that needs to be moved. Our snow crew will be glad to see that gone.

Here's progress on the walkway so far. See my lovely pile o'salvage? It's not as bad as it looks. A big chunk of it is walls from 2 screen rooms I plan to make into a plant screen room, and a pile of cinder blocks that we plan to make raised planting beds with. Some is junk I hope we can haul out yet this year.2018 Stash Management-20180922_141711_1537646645383.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Life got better. Yesterday after lunch I kicked back in the recliner for a nap and woke up to pouring rain and thunder. Today has been acceptably gray and it’s forecast to rain off and on through the night and all day tomorrow. I hope that’s a true story because we desperately need the rain. I think one of my wax myrtles hasn’t survived the summer and the other two are struggling. The red maples have pulled back their chlorophyll and have been sitting there with a lot of red leaves all summer, totally stressed out, one more than the other. I think they will both survive, but wonder if I may lose a couple of branches on one. Maybe not. It hasn’t actually dropped the leaves on them but has definitely abandoned them as part of the working system. Spring before last I put in a crabapple, but really too late and it just sat there doing absolutely nothing for the year. This year it also sat there doing nothing looking exactly like it did the day it was planted. It might as well be a plastic tree. If it doesn’t at least grow a few new leaves next year, I’ll ask the guys to move to a less conspicuous place - it’s last chance - and put in something else. It’s been a bad plant year in my yard.

The floss came today. The purple I hoped would work is really too dark. A blue I got though is better than what I had. I’m giving the weekend to the Celtic snow pattern, then will start the sewing on Monday. I’ve about decided to mostly defer the blackwork piece and the large flower one until spring. There are a couple of winter/Christmas patterns that have been on my list for a long time and I haven’t done Christmas cards yet. That, along with all the sewing will pretty much fill out the rest of the year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The pain is starting to kick in here. It wasn't a good work day for me. First I hurt my back hauling around heavy, very wet, PT boards. Then I torqued my wrist putting in lag screws when the drill kept turning and the lag didn't. Then I smashed my hand in the sharp, sheet metal folding legs of a sawhorse I was putting away. Ugh. Good thing it was starting to rain. We tend to quit anyway when stupid crap starts happening, before we really get hurt. But I think it's early bedtime for me tonight. I hope wearing my wrist brace overnight makes my wrist feel better. I hate using tools with that thing on. Unfortunately the brace hits all the hurty spots where the sawhorse legs smashed me.

Done whining now. I'm still happy we got ourselves out there and got the project as far along as it is. You can see in the pic how much the ground slopes on the right side. That's the spot where I fall in the winter. We will make some space on the back corner of the new boardwalk so there's a place to step off, and maybe that will be enough to be safer. If not, we plan to add to the boardwalk next year.

I hadn't been in the greenhouse for a few days and checked our tomatoes today. Wow! We haven't had so many tomatoes ripe at one time since we left Minneapolis 28 years ago. It's been cloudy in the mid fifties for days here, but daytime temps in the gh are around 80. The maters just love it. I need to figure out how to regulate the heat in summer and grow more stuff in the gh. I've always thought our nights are too cold here. I suspect I will be rethinking all the benches I built last year in there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yesterday was one of those frustrating days where I got a lot done but not much to show for it. A few projects worked on but not completed, a few small items in the recycle, a little bit of the deck cleaned.

Today I'd like to either complete the Jewel Box top, or get 6 sq ft of the fall quilt tied. Debating taking time to grocery shop. We don't urgently need anything.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hate days like that, CH. It's hard to get satisfaction when you can't really see the progress you've made.

We got our wings clipped on the boardwalk project. The high today is forecast to be only 42, and it's windy and misty. We did drag all the sopping wet decking into the garage and got that cut, so as soon as we finish attaching the legs to the frame, we can screw that down. Barring a disaster like last fall, we should easily be able to finish it yet this fall.

We gave in and turned on the furnace. 🤨

Husby moved four bags of compost into the greenhouse so they will thaw ASAP in the spring and are also out of way in the yard, moved some cinder blocks to the front of the cabin where we want to build a planting bed next year, and moved the remaining decking out of the way of the snow guys. We got some other stuff done, too, nothing much that shows. At any rate, it was all little stuff that needs to be done before winter.

I feel like sewing today, but can't think of anything that seems interesting. Pathetic.