2018 Stash Management - Page 11
Page 11 of 151 FirstFirst ... 8910111213142161111 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We lost power for 5-6 hours this morning but it's been back on for about an hour an a half so the house is gradually warming up again. It's up to about 60 in the living room and sun is on the front of the house so that may help a little. The living room stays colder because I have a lot of window area and my windows were obviously chosen for energy efficiency against heat, not cold. It got down to 12 last night, will stay below freezing today and down into the teens again tonight, but it will start warming after that. About time!

I got about a third of the birds in snow done yesterday and it was the hardest third. It's a bird sitting by itself and it has a lot of colors crammed into a small space. I spent as much time changing colors as stitching. The rest of it should go faster. I could make petter progress if I didn't keep dozing off these last few days. I must have some bear or toad genes that are telling me it's time to hibernate.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry about the power loss, D. I hate that. We've been having some power interruptions today here. Not surprising when there are loads of pine branches full of snow leaning directly on power lines around here. Luckily it's an annoyance for us at this point, just a few seconds, enough to make all the clocks flash and make the satellite and internet have to reload and reconnect. It could be worse. But I wanted to make bread and don't dare, because I wouldn't be able to bake it if the power stayed off and I wanted to use the bread machine but if the cycle got interrupted it would all be messed up.

I managed to get the truck out of the garage with no damage. I got too close to the big door frame when I put it away last night. That's a relief. I think I'm going to leave it out tonight since I won't need it till later tomorrow afternoon and it's supposed to be all the way up to 29 degrees tomorrow. I'm sure all the college kids are breaking out their shorts as I type this.

Shadow's playful today so she must be all healed up or close to it. We didn't find any swelling or bleeding or any sign of injury on her when she was so sore, so I suspect a pulled muscle. Dogs can slip on the ice just like people. At any rate, I think she's going to be okay.

I tasted the salami again and it does taste just like the store bought variety today, now that the flavors have blended. I'm going to make some more. I think it needs more fat so I'm going to try that, too, by using more hamburger and only about 1/3 ground turkey. I just love these experiments. I'm also going to double the seasonings in it, which I think will make it even more like the store stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had a bit of cold. Not seriously sick, just enough to make me feel like not doing too much. I made a start on some crafting, but could not stick with it for very long.

I have been doing a lot of jigsaw puzzles lately. I am not sure why, but sometimes when I do not feel like doing much of anything, I still feel like doing jigsaw puzzles.
    KathyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got the salami assembled and in the fridge to meld overnight. Then it has to cook for four hours tomorrow. I'm hopeful this will be more like store salami than the last batch.

The new Lodge panini press arrived already. It's smaller than I pictured it but a nice fit for my Lodge grill pan and a perfect fit for my Griswold square pan. I'm happy! I'm curious to use it now. I'll have to find some recipes, although cheese sandwiches on ciabatta is good and easy, especially with Harvati dill cheese.

I got the second coat of sealer on the shelving and then attacked the badly scratched buffet top. It sure looks nice now! I need to do the front as well, but my arm gave out. That buffet has been through the wringer because it went through at least three kids and then us using it for a dresser, then one of the dogs flipped a metal crate against it and deeply scratched one of the doors. Since then it's been in a couple different kitchens being abused for the last couple of decades. I've been going to paint it but it has the original finish on it, and I hate to lose that if I can just fix it instead. I think the scratch remover will do it. That stuff is magic.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy, I hope you're better soon.

Harvati makes super grilled cheese. I like to sprinkle caraway on mine. I used the last of a package of it a few days ago. It's hard to beat grilled cheese and tomato soup for cold weather.

I just filled the bird feeders - again. I've also been tossing cardinal mix beneath them. The smallish feeders, all presents, are harder for large birds to maneuver so they seem to prefer ground feeding. I have a large clay saucer I had been using for that but after the rain it's an ice rink. They seem to manage well with it just in the short grass. I will probably have a flourishing crop of millet and assorted seed grasses next year.

The power company through the the issue was just branches but concluded it was a transformer. They had estimated restoration by 5 pm instead of 10 am. Fortunately they got it back on sooner than that. I had an invitation to the new neighbor's to share their fireplace and work a puzzle with them but it was back on soon after that so I stayed here to work on the cross stitch. It is going faster as I expected.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I shove wooden dowels through some of our feeders so the bigger birds have perches. Of course the feeders have to be the right kind. We always get lots of birds at the feeders after a fresh snowfall when all the wild food is covered with snow.

I wish we had cardinals. We're just a little bit too far north for them.

I can't believe the footage coming out of the south. I just saw Shreveport. I was talking to a camping buddy of mine on another board today. He's in Ottawa and said they were thinking about going to Myrtle Beach to get away from the Canadian winter. I told him to save their gas money and gave him a linky to weather.com.

I should wash up the panini press and take it for a test drive. It should be warm enough by now. I'm debating if it should be heated on its own burner, or if I should set it on the pan I'm going to be using it with. I guess I'll have to go peruse Lodge's site. Such a burden. LOL!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What brand of scratch remover do you use?
    Nothing new here. I'm reading "Artemis" which is Andy Weir's 2nd novel. He wrote "The Martian". He is an extremely entertaining writer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like Old English scratch remover. It comes in light wood and dark wood. It works amazingly well.

I'm in trouble now. I didn't find out any info about the panini press on Lodge's site, but I did find this:

They have a whole series of wildlife pans. I've decided to use it for a non-food reward. Or is that too iron-ic? I'm only going to buy this pan if I lose ten pounds to earn it. It's not like I need it, since I already have four that size and have gotten rid of a few more recently, and I found one at the dump just like it but without the deer. But if it helps me get motivated to lose weight, I'll happily buy another pan and sell off some iron to make space.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That's a really cute pan.

Sorry to hear you lost power, glad it is back on DC.

Hope you are feeling better soon, Kathy.

I have a friend who was stuck in the Atlanta airport for two days. He was on his way home from a trip and his connection got canceled and the airline gave him nothing. No hotel voucher, not even a pass to the air lounge to relax while waiting overnight. Next morning the flight got canceled again. They put him on a standby list. He has no idea where his luggage is. I think today he finally got a flight home.

I had a busy day. Found out my Dr appt was at 9am, not 2pm like I thought. Ugh, ok, got up and rushed out the door in near 0 temps, and the car wouldn't start. It turned over, but wouldn't catch. So, drove DH to work and then took the car. Came home after and had enough time to eat lunch and have a cup of tea before going back for DH. Drove home and got the cat. Drove to the vet and ended up waiting an hour because the appt ahead of us turned into an emergency.

Lady got her shots and the vet cleaned the sore that has developed from an apparent reaction to the flea drops we gave her in Nov. She keeps scratching at it. The vet found a single flea nymph on her, so we are treating them again with the brand they recommend. It's supposed to last 3 months.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry to hear about the power outage, dcompton. Had a very brief 'outage' Tuesday morning. It was similar to SD's interruptions - just long enough to mess with the clocks. Fortunately, it was near the time I usually get up for work so I was already waking up. It would've been a pain since it messed with the alarm.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck with the flea treatments, CH. I hope it goes well and you can get rid of the dang things. I hate when appointments get mixed up. It seems like the whole day is messed up then, too.

I moved back into the pot rack this morning. I like it! For the most part. I found some more blue glass jars in various places doing various things and will be adding those to the storage system in the pot rack. Here's the before pic again:

And the after:

There's still wasted space above the Dutch oven, so I'll have to figure out what I can do with that. I might change the hooks for the frying pans again and give them more space, but I'll see what else I might need room for. I'll just live with it for a while and see what develops. The changes I made are small but make a big difference.

I ended up with 23 zinc caps and used all of them, so they're no longer stash but are put to work now. I used all but one of the jar rubbers, too. One of the boxes of 12 was marked 25 cents with a store stamp, so that should give you an idea how old they are. I don't know if you can even buy them anymore, since zinc caps are not recommended for canning and haven't been for decades. I actually need one more cap that I know of right now. I have more blue glass than I thought I did. I dragged all of them out of wherever they were being used for storage, and moved the stuff in them to other jars. I also swapped plastic caps for all the half gallon antique jars, so I think all of those now have zinc caps, too, except one wide mouth jar. I like that look much better. I keep saying 'I think' because I'm not sure how many blue glass and half gallon jars I have, and they keep turning up because I have stuff stored in jars in freezers and the pantry, so they're slowly being found. I just took a quick peek on eBay and I see I won't be buying another zinc cap anytime soon, not there anyway. Maybe Mom has one. I won't be buying one for the wide mouth jar, either.

The salami is in the oven. I hope it turns out well. It seemed to be better this time even when I mixed it up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Shreveport got quite a bit more snow than we did. That 25 miles or so farther south made a difference. I'm old and boring enough to prefer our shallow little inch. I'm glad the episode is over. It got down to 14 again last night but by mid-afternoon should be in the 40s. It won't be nearly the cold tonight. When I got up I had no running hot water in either the kitchen or bathroom sinks though the shower was ok. There must have been an ice plug in the line but it seems to be ok now. Pipes are always a worry when it gets unusually cold here. The house will still feel chilly. That's the downside to having only a thin layer of vinyl tile between my feet and the concrete slab. On the other hand that's nice in the summer and we have a lot more summer than winter.

I almost finished the birds last night but got tired of working on it. I can finish that today, at least all the crosses. I may not get the backstitching done.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Got 3 or 4 more quilt blocks done today. That's all the pieces I had cut out. Will make up some more sets tomorrow. Otherwise it was a lazy day. Overdid it a bit yesterday and wanted to rest.

It made it up to 40 today which felt like a summer breeze when I put the mail out.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD - Just today we were at the indoor flea market and saw havarti dill cheese for the first time. We just started
    buying havarti about a month ago. Is it overly dilly? We were not sure so didnt buy any but I know hubs was
    thinking about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD do you have any of the state cast iron pans? They look really cute! https://americanskilletcompany.com