2018 Stash Management - Page 15
Page 15 of 151 FirstFirst ... 5121314151617182565115 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks to everyone for the pretty/interesting pictures. I need to finish sewing on 2nd blanket edge binding and return for dad's use on Saturday. Blanket is lightweight acrylic and easier to wash if soiled than the other ones they have on hand. Expect to collect an haul home from parents' more items for trash or donation. I have a pickup scheduled for Tuesday.

I submitted the USPS tracking request for the 2 quilts. I expect they should AT LEAST refund my $19 postage.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm not a serious birdwatcher either - I just enjoy the ones that come around. Someone once said, on this forum I think - that even experts sometimes can't really identify all the little brown and gray birds without a close examination because species differences can be very slight. At least to our eyes. The birds have no trouble. The females all look even more alike. I've got a book that's a great help for identifying birds in Louisiana and Mississippi. It's organized by color which is a lot easier than traditional field guides. If that doesn't work and I decide I care enough I'll pursue it further. Usually I don't. We have lots of cardinals and, of course, mockingbirds. Also barn swallows and bluebirds. The nest parasite cowbirds are common and there were a fair number of hummingbirds, and the flocks of blackbirds (maybe grackles?) There are turkey vultures in the sky almost daily, and occasionally I'll see a crow by the roadside when I'm out driving, but not often. When my visits in the DC area were at the right time I loved seeing all the beautiful Canada geese.

I had a fair number back around the feeders before sunset. The whole crowd will probably be back tomorrow. Once some come, others join in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH, I'm so sorry for your friend. I hope he can get some help. Hugs to you for being there when he really needs you. It's hard to be in that support role sometimes.

DLR, I hope getting the house closer to cleaned out goes well. It's such a huge job.

D, thanks for saying 'Canada geese' and not 'Canadian geese.' I don't know why people get that wrong so often.

I had made a comment about how much we enjoy watching the mockingbirds when we go out west. We don't have them here. We carry a field guide to western birds in the camper so we can look stuff up, so I guess we're at least that interested.

I'm no expert either but I do try to identify the unusual birds that show up once in a while. We've had one measly cardinal, either a female or a juvenile because it was brown or gray, and some kind of little blue bird I never did figure out. There have been others, too. It's always fun to see something new.

Husby just let me know the forecast is for more cold next week. I think I'm going to have to assemble the new table and then paint it, which will be harder. But I do want to get it done. If I try to cut the two top layers based only on measurements before the table is together, it has to be so exact I'd have a good chance of something not coming together right and ruining the lumber.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Found a couple of jars of honey I didn't realize I had. I have honey on my toast for breakfast so I tend to stock up on it. I buy it from the farmer's market rather than the store if I can help it. There were some other items on top of the jars, which is why I didn't realize I had them. I'm trying to use up stuff in my pantry and I think I'll be getting rid of other stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got the table base completely assembled this morning, so that part is done. I'll probably start painting it later today if I can get some blocks underneath it all. I have to elevate it a little or I'll have paint all over the floor. It's heavy so I'm not sure I can do that by myself. I don't want to do it this way but I sure want it done, and I don't want to have to be out cutting stuff next week once we're in the deep freeze again. I hope it all works out. It's all progress, though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The mystery birds are identified! It's a flick of female/juvenile red winged blackbirds. No wonder they looked much too big for sparrows. I had no idea we had them in this area. This morning a male was on the feeder and when I looked it up to verify that there was a pic of the females. I enjoy the mockingbirds. They aren't feeder visitors but they are all over the place. I haven't seen many this winter but they will soon be back in force. They spend their time perched in the most conspicuous place they can find, squabbling with the neighbors.

My friend came out this morning and I finally could give him his Christmas tree cross stitch. Better late than never. He had eye surgery just before Christmas and is just now really getting around again. His visit meant I spent some frantic time cleaning the bathroom and dust mopping the floors and generally straightening up a bit before he came. I consider myself off duty the rest of the day. I'm hoping to make some real progress on the cross stitch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I sort of got the first coat of paint on the new table. It turns out the paint is a close match, not an exact match, so I'm going to have to do the parts that were already painted blue in the pics. That means removing doors and hardware and all that. I have four shelves to paint too, so I'll do all those parts together later. I need to use the table for that and don't want to do that while the main part of the base has wet paint on it. More work, but not that big a deal.

As I knew it would, the cabinet looks much better already with just one coat of paint on it. It'll need at least one more. I'm trying to decide if I want the frame around the tabletop to be the same color and if not, then what color it should be. Maybe a tan color.

I like how this is turning out. It would have been better if it was a nicer job with nicer cabinets, but it's a work table after all. I'm not as fussy about that because it's basically an everything table, and it will be taking a lot of abuse in the future. Case in point, I already have several paint projects that need to be done on it. That's what I used the pool table for for many years, since stuff has to be done and we don't have a basement where we can do stuff like that. Which reminds me I'm going to have to figure out some kind of cover or maybe another layer of tabletop I can use to protect the surfaces I don't want messed up. A sheet of vinyl flooring might be just the thing for paint projects and similar things. Have to figure it out before I decide how deep the sides of the top frame need to be.

Nothing is ever simple around here.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My friend came over and we went through tub#1. I picked out 4 lengths of fabric. Most of what she brought was 70's era poly or poly cotton. I got a few yards of a soft baby corduroy in purple with red flowers (quilt backing), a 4yd length of mustard cotton (quilt backing), a 50-60" square of linen or cotton tablecloth material (perfect for our little table) and a length of blue cotton with yellow and red flowers (quilting). Paid her $2 per yard.

In return I gave her a bag of feminine products I'm never going to need again, to pass along to a young neighbor or relative.

It feels like spring today, it is 63. I have the front window open. One of my hyacinths is peeking up, and a couple tulips, too. We're not done with winter, but I'm thinking happy thoughts.

We have geese here. They make a nuisance of themselves in the city, walking in the street, gathering on sidewalks and making a mess. There are a lot of ponds and fountains, and plenty of green spaces too, so they winter here. And sometimes stay for the summer, too.

SD, sounds like you are making good progress. You'll be done before you know it.

Ren, enjoy the new found honey. I can't seem to keep it from crystalizing. I don't keep more than one bottle or jar at a time because it is a pain to have to warm it up every time I want some.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It finally occurred to me the paint I put on today is close enough to the old paint to serve as a good base coat. I'm going to see if I have any of the old paint left and just use that for the next coat and match the old paint. Hopefully, I still have some. It would save me a ton of work. I'm not looking forward to taking the faces off all the drawers and removing the doors and hardware yet again and having to mess around with all that, so if I can avoid it I'll be more than happy to do so.

I was ROFL when we took stuff to recycle today. I opened one of the hatches on the roll-off trailers the recycle place uses, to recycle our glass stuff. The trailers are hauled around on semi trailers, so they're quite large. The entire front half of the bin was completely full of empty liquor bottles and beer bottles, and the back half was about half full. There was no household glass at all. The boxes are at least six feet tall. It's easy to see there was a big game on TV at all the bars last weekend. I snagged a couple of half-gallon whiskey bottles with handles. I've been wanting some for storing vinegar and have been looking for a while now. We don't go through vinegar that fast and I'd rather store it in glass than plastic. I don't worry too much about germs and liquor bottles since they're filled with alcohol and of course I wash them. It's just too bad people had such good reason to drown their sorrows Sunday. Now we have to root for the Eagles.

I had to break down and buy myself a new pair of jeans. I only have three pairs that fit and one is thin enough I can literally see through them, and had a blow-out below the back pocket last week. The other two are showing their age, too. I have been putting it off because buying new ones means I don't intend to apply myself and lose weight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm still thinking about the bird bath shade dilemma. Weird, I know, like I have nothing else to do. But it's fun to contemplate. I've always loved these whenever we stay at Badlands NP in South Dakota. It's overkill for a bird bath, but maybe the arch I posted above could be modified some way to resemble this shape and work for your purposes. These are actually used for wind breaks and shade out there, and they work very well.

Oh, great, now I just want to go back to the Badlands again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Husby found the paint that actually matches the old paint on the new craft table. I put a coat of that on this morning, so that's progress. It looks like it will need one more coat, since it's cheap paint, but that's still less work than taking the drawer fronts and all that stuff off. I should be able to finish up the paint tomorrow. That messes up my plans for cutting the tabletop pieces this weekend, but we'll have to see what happens. At the least, we need to dig that OSB out so it's ready when the weather warms up to cut it. Or whatever. It's not like we haven't cut stuff in cold weather before. We're getting wimpy in our old age.

I am so excited at the thought of actually having a real cutting table again, one that doesn't kill my back and is a nice, big size.

I remembered a chunk of vinyl flooring out in the garage, so dragged that in to warm up. It's a nice pattern and neutral and not too ugly, so I'm going to glue that to the OSB with contact cement next summer when I can work outside. The fumes are horrible so I can't do it now. That way, when I need to have a surface to paint something on or do something I don't want to mess up the laminated masonite, I can just pull off the masonite which is lightweight and easy to move, stand it against a wall, and then put it back when the painting or whatever project is done. That way I'll have a nice multi-purpose table.

It's 34 outside but windy. I might go rummage around in the garage and look for the plywood I need to make the drop-down ironing board. I'm looking forward to having that too, and to building it. It should be a fun challenge, at least until the cussing starts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I ended up yesterday spending more time reading and less on the cross stitch than I planned. However resting on my housekeeping laurels from yesterday's blitz, today is another off day. I'm getting nearer the end of the winter sampler so that's motivating. I also plan to go through my patterns and pull some to go on an A list in a separate project binder. That way I won't have as many to sift through whenever I'm ready to start a new one. I probably can't finish the sampler today but should be pretty close to the wire by bedtime.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Another thing I want to do sometime this weekend is get out the watercolors and put some color washes on some of the zentangle cards I have. I had a lot of fun playing around with that and elaborate doodling is a pleasant thing to do while listening to books when I don't have the ambition for counted cross stitch. It will be fun to have colors to set the structure of the doodle. Or I might get a tray of watercolor which would be a simpler way to do mini projects like this one than dragging out all the paint tubes. That's being really lazy but it's an appealing idea. It would be a pretty low cost addition. I wouldn't be able to do the cards this weekend, but that would be ok too. I could get them by Monday from Amazon. I have some cc points I could use - I generally allow myself to use points guilt free for frivolities.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Duh. I stopped being stupid for a few seconds and realized what I need is a covered palette. I found a nice small folding palette with 18 wells and ordered that. It was a little more than an inexpensive watercolor tray set would be but I can put in my good artist quality paint - as though I'm an artist and needed anything that good to start with. That will be a permanent quick go to, and I won't be buying more paint that I definitely don't need. It will be here Tuesday so that is a good outcome.

Another new feeder visitor I haven't seen before - several goldfinches. We seem to be in the southern portion of their winter range. I may start seeing a lot of new species. Birds congregating in mixed flocks to feed will draw others in to check out what's on offer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I didn't know goldfinches had a winter range. They're year-round here.

Husby surprised me by showing up around noon. He took the afternoon off to come home and help me with the OSB and cutting stuff. It went really well and didn't take as long as anticipated. No drama at all, my favorite way to work. There was a lot of shuffling of stuff involved but not as bad as it could have been. While we could get at certain spaces, we took advantage and put a few things away, which helped a little bit to cut down on the chaos in the garage, and we got the big dog crate out of the house and put away, too, which helped a lot. I got both the boards cut for the new table so it's no longer topless! I'm excited! The white masonite is rippled, but once everything is done I'll weight it down and see if I can get it to straighten out. I'll give it about a year and if it's still not willing to behave I'll just replace it. It might work itself out. If not, it's not like it's made of gold so we won't go hungry if it has to be replaced.

It was sweatshirt weather out in the garage today, so that was nice. It's supposed to get cold starting tomorrow.

I did locate the plywood scraps I salvaged, so I know I'm not losing my mind. That should work great for the ironing board project. I guess this means I have to figure out how to make it now.

I'm very sore and tired with all the bending and lifting and stretching and sitting on the floor to paint two hours at a time. But that should mostly be over tomorrow when I get the last coat of paint on, and getting this done is worth it. I'll still have plenty to do including painting shelves and putting sticky floor tiles on them, and the drilling all the holes for the shelf brackets, always (not) fun. And of course framing and putting a finish on that. But the end is starting to come into focus. I can't wait!