2018 Stash Management - Page 2
Page 2 of 151 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finished off Dad's scarlet and grey afgan last week. I like the way it turned out. I used the six 1lb skeins I bought originally. I have the two extra skeins still but I'm sure I had find something to do with them, eventually.

Started work on my friend's black agfan. I had picked up navy blue to mix in as I couldn't find enough black yarn initially to do the whole thing in one color. But I went back last week to check if I could find more black yarn and was able to pick up what I hope is enough to make the whole afgan in black. On sale, no less. I also picked up more of the navy blue yarn to make a full afgan as well since a lot of people like blue. At this point, that will go into the stash but I tend to go through blue pretty quickly that I'm not too worried about it staying in the house long. I got the blue on sale as well.

Of course, it's now really cold and I'm only on skein #3 of the black afgan. It's just now starting to cover my lap, leaving my legs really cold. Fortunately, I have a small fleece blanket to cover my legs while I'm working. It hasn't gotten above freezing this last week. Saturday is supposed to be dangerously cold. Not sure if I'm going to huddle under the blankets or go to the local mall and work on a lapgan there. I can people watch while I do that. Then again, I've been going to the coffee shop more often on weekends to work on my story.

I did donate a blue 'rag-bag' afgan to one of the charities through the church. I don't remember who I made it for as I saw him only once and haven't seen him since. That's ok. I made that afgan from yarn from my stash.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The only reason I disagree with the two-year rule is because I know I circle back to things. It's not at all unusual for me to stop doing a particular craft for years and then suddenly find a renewed interest in it. Crochet, knitting, and tatting are good examples of that for me. I've compromised on stuff like that by setting a limit on the amount of space a hobby can take up. Once that space is full, I don't buy any more for it till something gets used, unless I get rid of something to make room. Designating space has made a huge difference here, because things aren't allowed to outgrow their spaces so I don't end up with piles of clutter. As most of you, I'm a big fan of nice entertainment centers I've turned into storage cabinets. Here's my limit for bead, fur, and leather storage:
    We picked up this cabinet and several others for different purposes, many of them for just $10 each. With minor modifications such as adding backers and shelves, they've made fantastic storage spaces.

I also haven't used my pasta machine for a long time, in spite of good intentions. But now I'm using it to roll out crackers and I'm so glad to have it. Eventually I'll get to making more pasta, because we need to avoid the sodium in the store stuff. That's just one example of kitchen stuff I hang onto longer than maybe I should.

I keep some storage containers and bags because needs keep changing. Others I get rid of because they're unsatisfactory in some way and I know I'd never use them.

I started a new batch of ciabatta yesterday and I hope it turns out better than the last batch. Husy loved those but they were more like biscuits than light, airy ciabatta, just dense and not nice at all. I don't know what went wrong. I've had such great luck with that recipe and made it numerous times, so I'm sure I did something I shouldn't have.

I might make pitas, too. I want to try that again and see if I can get them to be more airy.

I'm trying to get organized in the kitchen so I started a list of staples I need to make for the freezer, mixes, and pantry. I'm looking now at recipes for a Bisquick mix DIY that has no or low fat. No way to avoid the sodium though. I cannot believe how much sodium is in baking soda and baking powder. So many experiments, so little time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Congrats on the finish renmerc! I use a lot of blue too.

I'm getting down to odds and ends on the organization project. I still have a fair amount of "level 2" sorting and organizing, like getting the miscellaneous floss in color order or sorting beads, charms by type and such, but the "level 1" is virtually done. All the kinds of materials are gathered and in their new places. That is the part I've been so anxious to get done. The last sorting doesn't count as housework but as playing with the stash and is a lot more fun.

I agreed to keep LG one more time tomorrow. I may take her with me on a shopping trip. I need some boring things like a/c air filters and bookshelf peg supports at Lowe's. One of the pegs was lost when I moved and I'm tired of the wobbly shelf and having to remember to be careful what I put on it. If not, I'll think of something here for us to do.

Sometime soon I need to unpack the new sewing machine and give it a test drive to be sure it's ok while I'm still in the return window. What is hugely vexing is that all my large cuts of fabric have gone AWOL. Or maybe just MIA though there was little A to speak of. Since I didn't plan to use it anytime soon after I moved, I packed it up for the attic. I was convinced it was in a clear plastic bin, but when I had one if the guys search for it a couple of weeks ago, he couldn't find it. I didn't have him go through boxes though. And did he really know what he was looking for? I think when we get to nice comfortable spring weather I will ask my new neighbor to do a more thorough search. She will be willing and I can make her some bread for her trouble. It's just too cold to even think of doing it now.

Crazy cold. It was 19* when I got up while ago and probably won't get above freezing today. I'm a little concerned about the water pipes but I'm doing what I can. We build here for extreme heat, not prolonged cold. It will still drop in the 20s at night the rest of the week, but starting tomorrow it will get progressively warmer and sunny during the day which will help warm the ground. The good thing is that during this below freezing weather there should be no rain. We won't get that until warmer air moves back in and butts heads with the cold. At that point there should be no danger of ice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It might help if you put some desk lamps under your sinks with incandescent bulbs in them. That would add some heat to that area. Be sure nothing is close enough to the bulbs to catch fire. The worst risk is where water lines come into the house, if they're not deep enough and it's cold enough for long enough to freeze the ground down to the pipes, or if pipes are not well protected between the house and the ground or are exposed to air. Our water comes in through the concrete slab and up through and unheated, uninsulated crawl space, through the floor, and into a pressure tank in a hallway. But that pipe is heavily insulated and heat taped and it's never frozen. But I know you don't really have a need there to go through all that.

I was just talking about this with a friend on the camping forum about how the water lines were freezing when they camped in Alabama last week. It must be terrible down there for you all right now. I hope it warms up for you soon.

I have lots of level 2 sorting to do, too. It doesn't bother me very much. Having stuff sorted according to type works pretty well for the most part. I might get to fine-tuning it someday, or not. Considering the chaotic mess I had before, it's fantastic now.

I've been looking for low sodium baking powder and baking soda without any luck.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It dipped below 0 last night again. Single digits today, but clear and sunny. Supposed to be like this all week, but warming to 40 on Sat, with a large chance of snow or rain by Sun.

DH helped clear off the last of the cabinet top last night. Stuff is just piled in a storage bin for now. I'll figure it out. I'm glad we are using the cabinet because the base unit is heavy. It weighs at least as much as a sewing machine.

I decided on the Road to Oklahoma block. It uses 2 dies, and 3 colors of fabric. I like the effect of stars and chains. https://i.pinimg.com/236x/92/c8/c8/9...homa-roads.jpg
    It has 20 pieces, but only 4 are triangles, which I hate. Hoping that having them die cut will make sewing them easier. After some thought, I decided to begin with some of the fabric I got at Joann's $1 fat quarter sales last year. I can make a lap sized quilt to donate, getting the box of fabric off the floor. It's not a large project (lap sized) so I shouldn't get tired of it.

Going to start today and try not to make an even bigger mess.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    I've been looking for low sodium baking powder and baking soda without any luck.
    Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. It's a form of salt, unfortunately. Baking powder is made with baking soda. I found this article, it may be helpful to you:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/5...oda-in-baking/
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH, Saturday is supposed to be the coldest day/night so far. Friday night is supposed to get down to 3*, warm up to ~12 during the day Saturday itself and then drop back down to ~0* at night. Part of me is still worrying about my parents' old house, down the road from me. (There had been a couple of times I had to get the furnace fixed while they were away.) Then I have to remind myself that it's now the new owner's problem, not mine. At least I haven't pulled into the driveway out of habit yet. And it's been below freezing the last week, it would've been a problem if the heat went out.

The kitchen sink was also a bit of a concern. We never had problems with it, per se. But it was in the corner of the kitchen, on the exterior walls. So we would regularly open the doors under the sink to make sure warm air got to the pipes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, CH. I knew that but I thought I had read about an alternative for people on low-sodium diets. Mostly I wanted it to make a Bisquick alternative. I need to do some more math and find out how bad it is for some of the Impossibly Easy Pies we like. They don't use very much Bisquick so we might be able to still enjoy those.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So far the sinks seem to be ok. I don't have desk lamps. Well, one Ott light but it would awkward to put under there. I've been leaving the kitchen cabinet open to get house air in it and it's a pedestal sink in the bathroom so no cabinet there. The toilet is struggling to flush and fill. I need to do check it and see if it's a water or mechanical problem. If it's water, there's nothing I can do about it. There's no crawl space here - the pipes come directly from the slab into the house. I don't know how deeply they are buried beyond the slab, but basically whatever happens, happens. There's little I can do directly about the plumbing. We are trying to keep a little warmth in the well house.

I've frittered away the day and done nothing yet. It's definitely time to get started.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just got a double reprieve. Hooray! LG decided she didn't want to come here but go with her mom to work. She just parks her somewhere and she plays with her iPad. Her aunt also just checked in with me - she had promised to take her to a movie while she was out of school and may do that. So I will have a child free day. I also can avoid a trip to town. One of the guys was here putting the last things in the attic and he said they were going to Walmart. I gave him some money and they will pick up the air filters for me and I ordered the bookcase pegs from Amazon. The other odds and ends I needed from Lowe's can wait indefinitely.

Finally life can be back on track by tomorrow. I'm ready!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope you can keep your water flowing there. We have the same worries at times but only when there's not much snow on the ground.

I came in from the garage a while ago to find water running out of the dishwasher. Ugh. I cleaned the float and I'm hoping that's the problem, that it was stuck and the tub overfilled. I really don't want to buy a new dishwasher much less install one. I'll find out next time I wash a load, I guess. It was through the wash cycles so I drained it and ran it through the quick rinse setting, which worked fine. I'm hopeful.

I got the doors installed on the 'new' base cabinet for the FR work table, so that's done. It still needs a backer it probably won't get till spring. I also tried to reattach the drawer hardware that came off of one of the drawers, but the screws have disappeared and I can't find new ones that will work. I'm sure we have some somewhere, but with the garage in chaos I can't get to the places they might be. I'll probably just buy some which would cost less than $1. It would be worth it to avoid anymore aggravation and freezing fingers searching in the garage.

I need to look over the DfG bag instructions to refresh my memory and see what I can do to make the process quicker.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I do not follow the two year rule either. I tend to circle back to crafts as well. In some case it is finding different uses for the same materials though. Years ago I tried quilting. I have not gotten back to that, but have made other things with the quilting fabric.

This may be overly optimistic, but I feel like I might get back to some of the things after I retire. Because I work full time and have a long commute, my craft time is a bit limited. And some times I feel a bit worn out by the work week and do not feel up to doing much after I get off work. Although in many cases it is not always the work that is the issue but commuting back and forth, especially if the weather is icky.

I laughed a bit about the idea of recycling calendars, because I write stuff on calendars. I would be a problem if I put up and old calendar with things like "vet appointment today at 10" already written on them.

As a general thing for this coming year, I want to use up more craft supplies than I get in. I might buy some stuff, but probably not too much.

I will think more on a better sounding plan with actual details later.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Being a quilter I have a lot of fabric that is more than two years old. On the other hand I have a lot of junk that I saved because I was interested in "doing something" with it and that interest has since died. This morning I was looking at coffee cup wrappers I kept because I liked the texture, for example. They are for a project I haven't quite given up hope on. There's a lot of trash, too. Old receipts, business cards, empty envelopes, and event flyers that get tucked into corners and forgotten.

This morning I started by doing some calculations to see how much fabric I was going to need for quilt blocks. The book that comes with the cutter only tells you what size to cut the pieces for one block. It will say you need 4 triangles, and the die cuts two at a time, and you need a 3 by 6" cut for "each". So what I ended up doing was cutting 3" strips and fan folding it to produce multiple layers. I cut up 4 fat quarters in about 40 minutes, with only one mistake. Forgot to switch dies when I switched fabrics.

Anyway, it still requires using the rotary cutter to cut strips, but it doesn't require accuracy. It's easier on my hands except on really bad days. Tomorrow I am going to sort them and see how many block sets I cut, and go from there. Maybe start sewing. I don't have a good handle on how many 8" blocks I'll need.

Some users have complained about wasted fabric, since you cut squares 1/2" larger than the die, but after working with it I feel it is minimal. I cut 3 5.5" strips out of a FQ, to make 2.5" squares. That "wasted" 1.5", not enough to do anything with. The remaining 3" strip I used to make triangles. I don't feel I have more scraps than I normally would, and cutting is a heck of a lot faster, so I'm happy.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CH - I'm glad you get to play with your new cutter and like it. It sounds like a great addition.

To clarify, I don't recycle stash on a two year basis since that was bought deliberately for someday use. However it would be a comfortable rule for me for most other things. In fact, just off the top of my head I can't think of anything in the house I haven't used for two years except maybe a couple of cookbooks I kept when I gave a stack of those to Sharon the other day. She likes cooking a lot more than I do.

I am essentially finished with the Great Reorganization Project. I was bored with it and just quit yesterday afternoon. There are a few bits of flotsam left to stow away - a couple of binders, a handful of stray office supplies, the tool basket, another bag of trash to move to the porch. It wasn't hauled off the other day because the truck broke down, unspecified trouble. It's not like I'm sitting out on the porch for the morning tea anyway. It was 21 when I got up this morning, but it should be above freezing by noon and then up to 40 for a few hours this afternoon. Then it's back to the mid 20s overnight, but by Saturday we should be completely out of freezing temps. So far the water is ok.

This may be a kitchen day. I need to use up some over ripe bananas so I'll hunt a banana bread recipe. I also have some aging carrots and potatoes to bake. I have little ambition for anything else.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I stacked up pieces last night and atm I can only sew 4 complete blocks. So I know what I need to cut more of today. I'm cutting 2" squares for this pattern, I think I will cut some 4" squares out of a different color for a 2nd quilt. I have some pink/orange that will look better in larger pieces.

DH has been learning to cook his own snacks. First it was breakfast sausage biscuits. Then last week he made chicken, rice and black bean lunch burritos to freeze. Today he is going to make low carb cheesy bacon bombs. It's a slow period at work so he is home today.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Page 2 of 151 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast