2018 Stash Management - Page 3
Page 3 of 151 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like you got to your goal, D. Always such a nice feeling to get things put in better order.

CH, I hope your husband continues to learn to cook for himself (or both of you.) I keep hoping Husby will do the same but he only bakes for himself. I have news for him once he retires though. I'm just as tired of being responsible for every healthy meal we eat around here as he's tired of going to his job every day. He's said he wants to learn to cook but always has an excuse whenever I bring it up. For his own health he needs to learn though, and I think he's starting to see how impossible it would be for him to do well on frozen pizza and hot dogs and all the other crap he prefers if something happened to me. I keep telling him he has the food preferences of a five year old.

I made pitas again and I'm counting them as a fail. I think I baked them too long. The deer will most likely get them. Actually, I think several things went wrong, starting with using white whole wheat flour. I tend to think wheat flours are interchangeable and I've had a lot of success with white whole wheat in recipes calling for regular, but now I'm starting to think that's one recipe where I need to stick with the regular wheat flour called for. Maybe that's why I have to add so much more flour than the recipe calls for. I'm going to finally give in and buy some regular wheat flour. I've been resisting because I'm still trying to use up an excess of white whole wheat. But I really want to know if the problem with the dough being too soft is due to the flour.

I've spent a lot of time today looking through my Make Your Own Groceries cookbooks. I found a bunch of mix, sausage, and other recipes that have some potential, including a seasoning recipe that looks a lot like Old Bay.

I also got a call from Mom. She wants to make a pair of pants but her pattern does not have pockets in it, so she wanted me to copy the necessary pieces from a pattern I might have so she didn't have to buy a new pattern. Now you know where I get my frugal habits. I copied a couple different options for her, so that took some time. It's a slow day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've had a slower day than you SD. After I posted and then had breakfast I was headachy so I thought I would take a nap. I dozed off before I set the phone timer and fell dead asleep. I just woke up. It's almost 1:30. So much for the morning!

Now I have no excuse not to get myself in gear and start doing something besides sleeping the day away. I do feel better though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I did accomplish one thing this morning though. As soon as I ate I braved the cold and drove out to the mailbox to leave a letter to be picked up and mailed. The reply to a jury duty summons sent to the convent where to the best of my calculation I haven't lived since 1991. The sisters sent it out to me. I know there was a more recent address because I got one a couple of years ago where I was then living in Shreveport. It came a few days before I saw my doctor so she wrote a letter. So no, I have not lived in Caddo parish for over a year and here's a letter telling you my doctor does not think I am physically able to serve. I'm hoping that's enough to convince them I don't have to appear before the judge to tell them in person I no longer live there as they sometimes demand. I'll see how this plays out. It's obviously an office that doesn't really have its act together. Just another of life's little vexations.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DC, I think it is this cold cold weather. I've had a sinus headache off and on for the past two weeks. Glad the nap made you feel better.

SD, most of the guys I know don't think about food much. They just want something that tastes ok to fill them up. The easier it is to fix, the better. Of course plenty of guys like to cook and experiment with food, but nobody I know.

I've never made anything edible with whole wheat. I have had some good results adding rye flour in small amounts to white bread flour. It adds a nice flavor and texture without affecting the rise much.

Got a bunch of triangles cut. Resting now with tea. I fell off the scooter the other night (in the dark) and landed on my big toe and the foot has swelled up a bit again.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That should give them the message, D.

CH, I think you're probably right about most guys and food. I don't expect Husby to get into cooking as much as I do, but he needs to learn a couple weeks' worth of healthy recipes in order to care for himself if need be. And get used to eating a lot more fruits and veggies. I think he will. He's committed to doing better with exercise and doing what he's supposed to.

Your cutter sounds like fun! I might have to take up quilting if I had one of those. That would be bad.

I'm having a rather involved conversation with a friend on the camping forum about all the stuff they drag along when they go camping because his wife takes along her quilting. Holy moly! I'd lose my mind! I'd like to take my sewing along when we camp but I don't want to take more than a suitcase full of stuff, or maybe just a bit more depending on the project. My friend takes a six foot table, sewing machine, tent, heater for the tent if it's cold, big mat for ironing, folding chair, etc, etc, etc. Then again, we're the people who spent a gazillion dollars buying a particular camper just because it sets up in less than a minute, since we can't stand to deal with setting up too much excess crap.

I'm still trying to figure out how to take some sewing along and set up inside the camper, but so far I haven't come up with anything I think I could live with. Now that I bought a new lightweight sewing machine though, maybe that will change. Another project to add to the summer to-do list. That's low on the priority list though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got a start on the shoe project. I may take a break from crafting this weekend. Just getting through this extra cold weather is using up all my energy for the week.

Winter is actually not the best time to be starting new projects....

"OMG, I am pretty sure this is record cold here," is an even worse time to be staring things.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree, Kathy. It's a good thing the coldest day will be a Saturday when I can curl up in my blanket for most of the day. We've had really cold days recently as well but not as bad as is forecast for this coming weekend.

I'm glad I have the fleece blanket to wrap around my legs while I'm crocheting. That helps while I work, especially when the afgans are still short. (Like the one I'm working on now.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I actually think cold weather is a great time to start new indoor projects. Who wants to do anything outside when it's like this? In summer, there are so many other options for projects.

I love this forum. I get to see so many other perspectives about different topics.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty much an indoor person year round so any time is good for me. I've kept the blinds closed for days for a little extra window insulation but the bright sun out again I opened the living room ones today. It is so great to have natural light again. An objective in the house design was to have my living/work room full of light. I've missed it these last days.

Since I slept away the morning I decided the cooking would wait until tomorrow. I need to do the veggies but I think I may just mash and freeze the bananas. I'm not in the mood for baking. I e been putting away the last odds and ends. I want to switch out a couple of end tables, but tomorrow. I'm done for the day. The rest if the day will be working on getting the last of the floss stash on bobbins.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think we've had our 2nd coldest temp ever recorded this week, and agree that it is no fun trying to work on a project when it is cold. On the other hand, it hasn't been bad in the afternoons because of the sun, I have even taken off my flannel shirt because I got too warm while quilting. We are using our couch quilts in the evening while watching tv, and I have been putting one on the bed. I think it is time to drag out an extra quilt.

I can't imagine taking a table, sewing machine, tent, etc on a camping trip and spending all day in a tent quilting. Why not just stay home? When I go on trips it is to enjoy the experience of being there and doing different things. I have taken small projects along to work on if time was available. I remember sitting in the hotel room in Florida one year, while DH was doing work things, and hand sewing a paper pieced quilt block, for example. I think I took a wool applique project to Seattle one year and worked it the day it rained. Just put a few things in a zip bag in my suitcase.

Cut triangles this afternoon and can now sew 14 blocks. Then I cut 5" pink squares from 3 Fqs. Going to do that as Puss in the Corner alternating with Snowball. Simple, but a nice effect. Standing started to make my back hurt, so I called it a day. Have a friend bringing some fabric over tomorrow to try it out.

SD, I love being able to discuss topics like mature adults here. That is lacking in so many places, not just online.

Going to make soup. This is definitely soup weather.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No crafting going on here, I got Nora Roberts' "Year One" at the library. Ugh, not liking it but I will finish (basically an apocalypse book like Stephen King's "The Stand".) If she does a follow-on book I probably won't read it. Enjoy whatever you're doing!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Winter would be a good time for staying inside and crafting...except that I work full time. So I have to commute back and forth in the cold. I have the option of using one of my vacation days to stay home. I can't do that all winter though. Today was kind of tempting, but I came in anyway. I will do it sometimes if we have a big snow or icy roads because the buses can get pretty messed up.

Personality wise, I am kind of a homebody. In practice I am not because I have to work four or five days a week. I do go to a lot of museums, but they are literally just a few blocks from where I work.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH, my friend is retired and he and his wife like to go for long weekends to different places. A lot of those places involve quilt shops for her. He likes to do Dutch oven cooking and take naps and stuff like that. It works for them. Sometimes it's just a change of scene and getting away that's the attraction, not so much going to somewhere interesting. I expect if I can figure out the best way to do it, I'll take along a sewing machine sometimes. It will not be when we're traveling very far though. Those are the trips that are all about experiecing different places. I spent a lot of time ripping wedding gowns apart on our last trip to Spearfish a couple years ago. Our goal on that trip was to act like we were already living there, in an attempt to decide if we did want to live there. Plus I had to cram some gigantic gowns into a much smaller space and it helped to be able to flatten all the poofy parts. It was actually nice to sit outside and do that job. We also know people who bring along smokers as big as a washing machine (Texas and Oklahoma friends) and people like me who have been known to drag along a couple hundred pounds of iron to do Dutch oven cooking (different Texas but same Oklahoma friends.) It's fun to do the usual in an unusual setting sometimes.

Yup, definitely soup weather here, too. I'm going to put something in the Crock later.

I hope you can avoid the worst of that bad storm out there, Kathy. It sounds like it could be devastating. Stay safe.

Our snow guy was just here and plowed. I love the snow guy. I'm not sure which snow guy it is or if it's a different snow guy, but I still love the snow guy.

Not sure of my agenda today. I might remove the front part of the shelf in the pot rack so I can move the mixer to its new spot and see if we like it there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I need to do some kitchen cleaning but don't want to do anything today. At all. I guess I need to get over that.

The last two containers I bought were from eBay where I found a better price than Amazon. One was shown as delivered. ?? Not here. Stolen? This morning I got around to looking at the full tracking and it was sent to Oregon. I have a note out to the seller. The other one is confusing. In my purchases list it shows as "removed" and that is a total dead end. I went back to my email trash to retrieve the shipped notification. The tracking there shows it is now in Mesquite TX. ?? If so, it should be here tomorrow or Saturday. I don't often have these sorts of problems with eBay. It's weird that there two at once.

I almost finished putting the floss on bobbins last night. It won't take long to finish that up today. Then I will start arranging it in boxes. It's in two sets - the misc cotton floss and the cotton polyester blend floss. I'll arrange these by color. I don't have numbers for most of the cotton, and the Indian sourced Anchor is not always an exact match. That is fine and gives me extra subtle shades. The cotton polyester has numbers but they are irrelevant. It will be more useful in color sequence. Organizing all that will take some time and I need to do it during the day when I have the best light. I will probably do the cotton this afternoon and not finish up the winding on the other until tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It was sunny this morning but now it's not. Today started out more exciting than it needed to be. I set my hair on fire while brushing my teeth. We keep a candle in the bathroom for reasons, and my hair just slid over my shoulder and right into the flame. I screamed and fortunately DH is home sick and was there in 2 seconds to help put it out. A big handful came off, but I don't think it is going to look bad. There's so much of it left. My hairdresser will be amused next time I see her.

Trying to get rid of the smell....

Going to do some sewing, might have pictures later.

Use it up, Wear it out,