2018 Stash Management - Page 5
Page 5 of 151 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've always hated the drawer base that's one of the two base cabinets I'm going to convert into a craft table. It has three shallow drawers and one deep drawer. The stupid part that bugs me is that there is a shallow drawer at the top, then the deep drawer, and then two shallow drawers below that. I think those cabinets were factory seconds from a cabinet factory that used to be in the town where my mom's house was. That whole room full of cabinets had other issues, all of which led me to that conclusion as did the cheap way the rest of the house had work done. At any rate, for years I've tried to figure out how to move that deep drawer to the bottom of the cabinet where it belonged, but the way it's constructed that would be impossible to do without major damage that would look worse than the misplaced drawer. But this morning when I woke up, it finally hit me it would be fairly easy to make the two shallow bottom drawers into one deeper drawer, and it makes sense to do that. So I prepped the cabinet and once the sun comes up, just because that will make it seem less like it's twenty below even though it'll still be twenty below, I can go out to the frigid garage and locate a saw to do the deed. I'm hoping it goes well. If it does, and it really should, I'll be much, much happier with that cabinet, after all these years.

I have biga started for more ciabatta bread. We've been hard on that stuff lately. So good. I'm so happy I found that recipe. It's so easy and so good, and not too bad for us since I tinkered with the recipe, added white whole wheat flour, and cut down on the salt. It's still not health food, but doable.

I saw an ad a week or so ago about a speaker system for the TV that's supposed to make voices clearer and help level out the volume between shows and ads and also during movies when the voices are at a much lower volume than the scenes with stuff blowing up. Since we like movies with stuff blowing up, that last one has been particularly annoying. Husby did some research and decided we needed the biggest system available at twice the price of the basic system, large parts of which our TV couldn't even use and which are intended for home theater systems, which we don't have and never will. That's the way he is about electronics, only the mostest will do. I don't know why, because he isn't like that with other things. I finally talked him out of that and we got the basic one for half as much money. It came last night and I just love it. It's so much easier to hear the TV clearly at a lower volume, and it has a nice tone. I was a little skeptical about it all but it seems like a good purchase. It's so nice when things work out well.

What I'm saving by reusing the base cabinets for my craft table along with other bits and pieces we have laying around covers the new TV gizmo several times over. Which is why I've gotten good at making do, so we can buy the stuff we can't DIY.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's nice and sunny today, and still cold. DH is sick and I have a headache, but mine will go away. The plan is to do some sewing/quilting. I also have a strange urge to clean the fridge vegetable drawers, which I can't do. Maybe I'll just sort through them. Something there smells wrong. I was planning to make a vegetable soup for dinner anyway.

SD, good luck with the cabinet project.

Hope the rest of you have warm afghans to work on.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No afghans here, just bits of silk ribbon I had forgotten about until they turned up a few days ago. That won't contribute much toward keeping me warm but we're back to sensible winter temps today.

I finished with the floss last night, except for a little DMC that I used for the Christmas cards That still needs to be put back. I had exactly enough boxes for it all which was a happy surprise since I had just guessed. Today I need to file patterns in binders and make labels for them. My flower and bird patterns have outgrown their binders so I am moving them to larger ones. Also I have the last patterns from the disgraceful pattern binge to put away.

I never finished the little Christmas tree pattern I was doing when I was overtaken by the organization mania, so I need to finish that. I was to the point of adding the beads. That shouldn't take long to do and then j can put away the beads that have been heroically clinging to the sticky mat throughout the chaos.

Then I get to choose what to do next. I'm thinking I may do a small kit of sheep all in shades of green. However when I'm working with the patterns this afternoon I may find something irresistible to do instead. I may not be able to actually stitch for a bit though. The other night I broke the nail on the right index finger down to the quick and later in the evening managed to cut it right at the quick popping open a container. Needless to say it is very sore and may not take kindly to pushing and pulling a needle. I'll see how it goes. I certainly have other things I can do.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hugs for the sore finger, WTG for getting the rest of it done.

I scored big at GW this AM. Everything we bought was half price, for starters. We were the only customers in the store, and got there right after opening on the day they change tag colors, so had the entire store to find freshly marked down stuff. Plus they had linens all at half price regardless of tag color, and decided to throw fabrics into that classification as well. I got two hunks of flannel for Days stuff, plus four yards of fabric for $2 that will be great for shields. I got a piece of panel fabric (I forget what it's called) that has six quilt blocks printed with pics of different antique and vintage sewing machines. One of them resembles the original Viking-Husqvarna machine first made by the company almost 150 years ago. I couldn't leave that behind, could I? Or the coordinating piece with the button motif. I'll use those to make at least one sewing machine cover.

We got two stuffies for doggy toys. Shadow already stole one right out of my hands before I could get it in the washer.

I also found a couple of those wide, shallow bowls good for soup or salad. I've been looking for a while for something for salads. We usually use either the deep soup bowls that came with our dish set, which I don't like for that, or folding T-ware bowls that work well but don't look that nice. The new ones were only fifty cents each. I wish there would have been a couple more, but then again since I have no idea where I'll put those two, maybe it's just as well. I think we'll like them.

I got a big piece of Aida cloth, about a yard or more with a hunk cut out of it, but still a huge piece, $1.50. Husby's current project barely fits on the cloth and that's the best we could do, so we need big pieces because he prefers big projects. It's still a great deal over buying yardage retail.

Husby got another puzzle. He drives me crazy buying puzzles he never does anything with, but considering all the stuff I bought, who am I to complain?

The entire haul cost us just over $11.

I'm glad we made the sacrifice to go out in the cold. It was good for me to get out of the house. I got some marked down stuff at the grocery store too, but not too much. We needed milk too, so that worked out.

I brought the hand saws in to thaw out. I'm hoping Husby will do the cutting for me. He's faster at it. I hate handsaws even worse than I hate hand sewing. I don't know if I'll do the backer today or not, since that has to be cut outside. I'm going to see if it warms up any after lunch. I did take a peek at the lumber stash that's in the rack, and it looks like I might have the lumber I need for the whole project. I can hope anyway. I only did a cursory inventory so I won't know for sure till I actually get into the project in detail, but my goal in the near term is only to make the change to the face frame where the two drawers will eventually become one, even if I don't actually get to the drawer changes yet, and to get the backer in the other cabinet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's a quick pic of the cabinets I'm working on.

I sawed the piece of framing out that needed to be gone, so now there are two big open squares in the face frame and the smaller one at the top. I already like it a lot better. I also took a good look at the existing double drawer and realized it'll be fairly simple to convert the two shallow drawers to one deeper one, using a scrap of 1/4" plywood and the existing plywood spacer as a pattern. I'm sure I have the right chunk of plywood around. These cabinets should make a dandy craft table base. I do love a good repurpose!

Husby brought in the circular saw to defrost. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer so I'm hoping I can get the backer for the big cabinet cut without getting frostbite.

I used the mixer in its new place and I like it there a lot. It'll be even better when it will fit under the bottom shelf in the pot rack.

I went hunting for a small antique crock I thought I had in with the flower pots in the cabin, but I didn't find it. I might have gotten rid of it. I wanted to keep just a few utensils in that on the buffet, but might not have space anyway. I also emptied a drawer in the buffet so I'm hoping I can put baking supplies in there.

While I was in the cabin I looked at the ridgepole on the greenhouse and it's not looking good. I don't see how it'll survive the winter. I wish we could have put some supports in it but the way things happened, other things were a much higher priority and nobody was up to the job. If the worst thing that happens as a result of the Halloween Horror is we lose the greenhouse, then so be it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sorry about the fingernail DC. I hate it when that happens. This cold dry air makes mine brittle. I lost two yesterday and just had a thumbnail pop off. Not all the way down like yours, but still annoying. Do you have any neosporin to put on it?

One of my favorite hobby shows announced 2018 dates... for Labor Day weekend. New location, rooms are $179 a night. DH and I are already looking at the $88 Best Western across the street. ~$80 buys a lot of toys.

Good finds SD! I am almost grateful I never see hobby stuff at our local stores. I wouldn't be able to get it in the house.

Going to keep assembling blocks for a while.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got the zipper needed to sew wool pants (50% off coupon). Might or might not work on pants Sunday. Other things should probably get priority. Also got 1 roll of Christmas wrap for $1.25 at JoAnn, 75% off the Christmas stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I spent the better part of the afternoon chain stitching HSTs. This makes assembly easier, in theory. Here's where I'm at now:

You can see the star design coming together in the center. That's maybe not the best placement for my lightest background fabric, fortunately I don't have much of it, only one FQ. It's supposed to look scrappy anyway.

The prediction tonight is for freezing rain. We could use the rain, but not the ice. I've gathered what's left of the vegetable bin into a pot of soup for dinner.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good find on the cheaper hotel room for your hobby show, CH. You're right about $80 buying lots of toys.

The quilt is looking good!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Who knew you could still buy a contemporary treadle sewing machine? Fascinating! I bet it wouldn't be that hard to convert a machine yourself using an old treadle machine cabinet. This one comes this way and costs $1,400. I can see the usefulness for people who are off the grid.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hahahaha! Now I found this article about how to convert a modern electric machine to a treadle model. They show the same machine that's for sale completely made in the pic above, from Lehman's.
    How To Convert An Electric Sewing Machine Into A Non-Power Treadle | Off The Grid News
    Why this fascinates me, I have no idea. I would never do it since I don't ever plan to live off the grid and already own a fancy shmancy parlor model treadle. Of course, a conversion of a new machine would offer lots more stitches than a vintage treadle.

What I'm actually doing is looking on Pinterest for ideas how to convert a vintage mid-century sewing machine cabinet to use with my new little Brother. I'm not finding that, but I did find the idea of converting a desk and I've been thinking about that anyway. I just want to be prepared in case I find a great sewing table like I have for my newest Viking. I never know when something is going to drop into my lap, and doing some fun research helps me be prepared with ideas in case I don't think fast enough on my own when I see something.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD - pictures of my sewing "desk". Got the whole thing from my parents, they probably bought it at auction. The larger rectangle lifts out and is set aside. Smaller rectangle is hinged so it fits under the front "lip" of the metal machine bed and holds it up. The whole thing is very clever.
    2018 Stash Management-img_0834.jpg2018 Stash Management-img_0835.jpg2018 Stash Management-img_0837.jpg2018 Stash Management-img_0838.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I feel like a total wimp whining about my finger when CH has had such major foot issues and pain. It's a good excuse to avoid dishes since its touchy about hot water, but I'll either have to get over that or fly SD down to install another sink or two for me.

I have a set of sampler type patterns for the seasons. I took out the winter and spring ones. I think they should go pretty quickly since there's a lot of open space in them. I pulled all the thread for them last night. I still have to finish the little tree first though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Several years ago I read about how certain makers are still selling treadle machines -- to third world countries where electricity is scarce. It made sense to me. At the time they had no US market, but may have since succumbed to consumer pressure.

Your desk looks very nice Dlrcpa. I have a couple old sewing tables with similar mechanisms.

Don't feel bad for me DC, I am mostly over it. Those small cuts are the worst.

I've gone and lost the necklace DH gave me for my birthday. I wore it yesterday and at some point the chain broke and the pendant fell off. I didn't notice until bed time. It's "antique copper" (brown) and the same color as the carpet. Sigh. It will turn up eventually.

It is 2 degrees above freezing, so we did not get the ice. It's not sunny and I don't think I'm in the mood to sew. Will find something.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sore fingers can be miserable too, D. I hope it heals up soon.

What a great find, DLR! Lucky you! That's a beautiful piece of furniture. I bet it cost a fortune new. The top has the same system as mine that I got for $8 but my table isn't as nice as yours or as big and it didn't come with a machine. Which is good in my case, because I was pushing it to make it fit as it was, and I had a machine. I can't get a good pic because of lack of distance in my sewing room, but here's my current setup. I bought the 'new' table because it was big enough for the extension I bought when I got my new machine a few years ago. I also added a small shelf on the right that extends into the space where the window is, because I needed a little more room there, and cut down the legs because it was too tall with my machine on the top. Then the board that goes across the front hit the top of my legs so I modded that, too. The little tweaks have made a world of difference. Now that I've gotten rid of the minor annoyances, this table is one of my favorite things in the sewing room.

I only have drawers on the left side which I prefer in my own case. Here they are, behind the thread catcher I made for that machine. Mine could use some TLC with scratch remover, but it's a low priority since it's buried in my sewing room where it's never really seen.

I think I have talked myself out of buying the wreck of a treadle sewing machine at GW. It's overpriced and a major project and I don't need it if I move my $5 special into the house from the cabin. Instead, I'm now on the hunt for a desk or table or sewing cabinet to convert to use at the end of the new craft table in the FR. Something will turn up. Garage sale season is coming!

I had wanted a dedicated area to press things on, built right into the tabletop. But snooping around Pinterest gave me the idea of making a drop-down table for pressing. I can attach it right to the end of one of the cabinets. I salvaged some plywood scraps last year that would be perfect for that project, and I have the fabric and padding I'd need, plus the hardware. I'm basing it on this pattern, but my table will drop down instead of folding up. I like the legs though. They look very sturdy. It'll be so nice not to have to drag out the ironing board every time. I don't have any space to keep it up all the time and don't use it enough to justify the floor space either. And I hate how narrow the ironing board is, so a wider table would be nice as well as more efficient.

I have a couple options for configuring my craft table, and what I decide might depend on what furniture turns up first. It could get interesting.

Page 5 of 151 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast