2018 Stash Management - Page 51
Page 51 of 151 FirstFirst ... 414849505152535461101 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - I know youíre not happy with the liner, but it looks perfectly functional. As I have said, one plank of my philosophy is that sometimes good enough is good enough.

I was so tired yesterday I actually got almost nothing done. I put away a few things in the kitchen and caught up on the many, many dishes. Other than that it looks pretty much it did yesterday. I have to raise a shelf in the pans shelving unit. I did finish the pattern assignment, going through the magazines and getting the keepers in binders.

Iím feeding the birds less now, but filled the feeders this morning to give them some easy chow during the storm. The resident mockingbird has discovered the suet so heís been around a lot. I hadnít checked the mail for a couple of days so I drove out there before the rain started and our road becomes a mud wallow. Then I parked it in the driveway so the rain can give me a free car wash and get the thick layer of pollen off. After that Iíll watch for a break in the rain to move it under the carport in case we get hail. Iím on the porch while I do this but the but the clouds are thickening, the wind has picked up, and the temp is dropping. The rain will be here soon. Itís time to go inside and start working on the kitchen again.

CH - have a good shopping trip!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That was my conclusion yesterday, that good enough is good enough. I won't use the thing much, most likely, and it's just to pad the serger a little bit, keep dust and stuff out from the holes/handles in the sides of the crate, and to soften the bumps when I'm wheeling the serger around by padding the bottom.

I'm so dang excited now! I can't wait to go to Bemidji to see how we feel about maybe living there. First I searched for a JA, and they have one. Amazing! We also already know they have a Menards and a ginormous GW. There are some other thrifts in the area we like, too. But the kicker is, there's a college there. A 4 year+ college. It's the one college in the state that's partnered with our local community college, where I racked up a ton of Indian Studies credits in the nineties, which should all transfer. The IS program locally has been decimated due to budget cuts, but it's still robust at BSU. I could take Ojibwe language again, and Spanish, too. They have lots of IS offerings that look interesting. I could get my degree if I wanted to. There are also science classes I'd be interested in, and many other subjects. The best part? If I go as a senior citizen, I can take classes for credit at only $18/credit! I about fell off my chair when I read that. The catch is people paying full tuition get priority, but it's kinda like flying standby, the discount would be worth the uncertainty. Wait till I tell Husby! Bemidji is also located between three Ojibwe reservations, which I didn't realize before but which would be a huge plus. And it's in the heart of one of our very favorite camping areas, not far from Itasca State Park where the Mississippi River is born and which is one of MN's most popular state parks. There are at least three other SPs nearby we like, too. And of course it's three hours closer to the Black Hills, too. I'm practically drooling over the college info. I keep looking out at our snowed-in camper and thinking maybe if we don't get that stupid storm forecast for tomorrow, maybe we can try again to dig it out. I can't wait to spend some time in Bemidji now, just to see if by chance it feels like home. We've been there many times, but it's different to see a place through the eyes of a tourist instead of a potential resident.

Uh oh. Husby will be on a house hunt now. LOL! He won't be interested in buying one that far away, so that part is safe, but he'll want to research the housing market there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That sounds like some great perks for you SD. Maybe it will be perfect!

Our rain forecast is dwindling by the hour. Now it’s not shown to really start until 5-6 pm and to be be over by around 3 am. We could still get substantial rain but it’s sounding far less apocalyptic that it did at one time, more like just a typical April rain. The rain is good and rain without undue drama is even better.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here are pictures from the show.

Name:  DSCN0500.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  48.7 KB
    Name:  DSCN0502.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  59.3 KB
    Name:  DSCN0503.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  62.3 KB
    Name:  DSCN0504.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  60.6 KB

And my loot:
    Name:  DSCN0505.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  53.1 KB

I bought a bag of large pieces for $4. There is a 4.5 yd piece 24" wide, a 1 yd piece, a 2.5 yd piece 22" wide, and some smaller scraps. I bought a bundle of brown and blue, 5 FQs still folded and tucked in the way quilt shops do it with one half yard piece. It was $2. The cotton thread was .50 each. And they put it in a really nice heavy cotton "save our planet" tote.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, CH! What a haul. And the quilts are beautiful.

We dug the utility trailer out so I hope the weather is okay to haul trash in the AM. Forecast is for wind but no snow. Let's hope. Weather looks terrible all over Midwest except us. Sure hope it doesn't get too bad.

It was 70 degrees today! In the greenhouse. LOL. I found the cutest little perfect African violet baby hiding under one of my plants in the LR today, so went out to the gh to get stuff to repot that sometime. It was nice in there! So glad we didn't lose it over winter.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Glad you got your trailer out. That should help thaw the snow if it's not in a big pile. I sat on the deck this evening and watched the big thunderstorm go by.... 5 miles away. Thunder thunder everywhere and not a drop of rain. I was really hoping our storm cycle had changed by now.

DH and I are going to work on the strawberry bed this weekend. The chicken wire has distorted and it needs shoring up, and a better method of opening/closing the top. Should use up some of our pile of scrap wood.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I grew African violets from a packet of seeds once. It was a lot of fun because of the huge variety. I had spotted ones, stripey ones, pink, purple, white, blue. I will do it again one day.

Pretty fabric CH, that sounded like fun.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CH - that is indeed a nice haul! The bag is a great bonus. I love the blue bordered quilt in the last photo. You could probably have predicted that.

Still no rain here but a message just popped up that it should start in about 20 minutes and continue for several hours - avfar cry from the original forecast. After that moderate drop in temperature this morning it warmed up again and we even had a couple of hours of sunny skies. It’s starting to thunder now so maybe it really is on the way.

I got all but a feed odds and ends done in the kitchen and I’m calling it a day. I’m bored with housework and very ready to do something more fun. I can finish it up in the morning.

SD - congrats on missing snow. I hope you can do the hauling in the morning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DLR, where did you get the violet seeds? They're so dang tiny. I'd love to grow an assortment like that. I don't know what I'd do with them all, though.

I hope we can get some trash out of here in the AM, too. It's been piling up, and we're using the cans we normally use for deer food for the messy stuff. We need to get those emptied and put away for summer before the bears find them with all the tasty trash in them. There's a bunch of non-food trash piled up in the garage, too. Besides, I'm in the mood to salvage something. Don't ask me why. It would be nice if I could find some more dryer or washer drums to use for planters, or some other shabby chic junk for planters or other stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The only violet seeds I could find online are in China. I might give those a try for $1.

It's windy today, as promised. Snow coming early tomorrow morning. Will it never end?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I’ve never had African violets but they would probably like my north windows. The best one to use will be dim though because I plan to put a banana tree out to shade the a/c unit and that will have to go in front of that window. I might figure out some place. I’m more into flowers than I used to be. I’ve considered trying them.

We only got about .4” rain. With it hanging around for another couple of hours we might end up with a half inch. Two days ago we were placed on the border between 2-3 and 3-4”. That really fizzled out. The weather here wasn’t severe but there was a tornado in Sharon’s neighborhood in town. She has roof damage but none of them were hurt. She said it was very scary.

I did a little on the mandala last night. Today I WILL finish putting everything away. I’m tired of the mess. Then life will be back to normal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We went out this morning to haul trash and wimped out. The wind is like a knife and it was still cold enough we knew if there's any liquid frozen in the bottom of the trash cans, it would rip the ends of the bags right out. That would be a huge mess. Now we're hoping for next weekend.

Instead, we decided on a road trip. Husby made the mistake of looking at Lowe's ad and then made a further mistake by informing me they were listing orchids on their website. He knows I've been waiting all winter to find out if any stores had some around Mother's Day. But there they were. I called to make sure they actually had some and they said they did. We didn't want to drive the seventy miles over there for nothing. I ended up buying four, two for us including a snow white one with fuchsia center and a dark pink one, one for Mom for Mother's day, white with pink stripes, and another dark pink one for our house sitter the next time we go on vacation, which better be sometime soon. It was worth the drive. They're beautiful!

We hit the usual stores. I wanted some of that ribbon that looks like a tape measure, but they didn't have any. I did buy a ten-foot quilting tape measure with a 40% off coupon my phone gave me. Why did I never know about these before? I'm always trying to measure something too long for my standard five-foot tapes. Other than that, nothing much interesting. I thought of you, CH, because they still had some of those close-out rotary cutter kits you couldn't find at your store. All I bought at JA was the tape. I have so much DfG fabric I won't need anything for quite a while, and I have plenty of other projects, too.

Nothing much at GW either, but I did pick up a bag of souvenir keychains, mostly from states we haven't visited. Husby did find two he likes from states we've been to, so he scored, but I really bought them for the key rings. I'm always looking for one, like for the ear bud cases I made recently. There was a really nice carabiner in the bag, too. I didn't want to spend $3 but I got quite a bit for my money.

It's fun to go but it's good to get home, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did end up ordering some violet seed this AM from China. I hope it comes soon but I'm not expecting it to. It might take till June. Crazy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - that sounds like way more fun than hauling trash. The orchids sound like they are beautiful.

I was making good progress on the house until I sat down for a quick break, closed my eyes, and zonked out for a two hour nap. I don’t know if I’ve just suddenly become the traditional old woman or always wanted to be and just never had the luxury to indulge in naps when I was working. Either way I’m recharged and back to the fray!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It was way more fun! Although I don't know what I missed salvaging at the dump by not going. It could have been the treasure of a lifetime! I guess I have FOMO, but I try not to think about it. I've found so much great stuff out there I'm always wondering what someone it throwing away while I'm not there to find it. Luckily, for the most part I resist the temptation to go look.

I made pickles this AM from the bag of cukes I got at WM. They're smaller than the usual cukes from a grocery store so I'm hoping they work okay for pickles. I'll find out Wednesday after they've marinated for a while. I've been hungry for hot pickles so that worked out nicely.