2018 Stash Management - Page 55
Page 55 of 151 FirstFirst ... 5455253545556575865105 ... LastLast
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    Last night I spent time on stash management. On the message board at 123 Stitch someone asked the Joann DMC floss sale. Someone replied that it wasn’t starting until the 26th. No definite word on price, but someone had heard .33. Now that it’s up to .50 everywhere that’s a good sale price.
    I got my ad today. Sale runs 26-30th. DMC is listed as "too low to show". Since 3/1.00 is their usual sale price, I'm expecting this to be cheaper, maybe 10-25c. But with a promise like that, who knows, it may be a nickle. I remember when floss was a nickle at regular price. Go early or you'll find all the colors you want are gone.

Replanted cucumber seeds, and put yellow squash in. Not going to replace the tomatoes that died, going to buy them at the community garden this week. I still have at least 5 seedlings coming, that should be plenty.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I didn't actually purge any camper stuff today, but I did some minor sorting and three more loads of camper laundry. I also switched the front bed back to a dinette and installed the small table I saved from the moho when we sold it. I showed it to Husby when he got home and he likes it too. I can't wait to get it all set up. Husby mentioned what I had noticed, that the camper seems a lot bigger with the front bed gone and that's with a giant pile of pillows and stuff on one counter and stuff all over the floor and a mess everywhere. It'll look so nice when I get it all done. I'm looking forward to getting more done tomorrow. 🙂

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks CH. I doubt I will really do it. I plan to go to town for groceries Thursday or Friday, but that wonít work logistically with a JA trip. For JA I have to take my walker and once thatís in my minuscule clown car there is no room for groceries. I donít really want to make a second trip and anyway to drive to town and once there all the way over to JA and home again would probably cost more in gas than I would save. Not to mention that as you say I might not even find the colors I need. If it were a big expensive item I would do it, but I donít think itís worth it for 10 or 12 skeins of floss, some of which I wonít need for a long time anyway.

Iím still not satisfied with the house arrangement so I will spend some time today figuring out what changes could be made. Itís probably largely spring fever. I always loved moving and being in a new place, which is obviously no longer possible. Moving furniture is the next best thing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One of our contractors always loved it when his wife wanted to rearrange furniture, which she did a lot because she was never satisfied with anything, but that's a whole other story. But he liked it because he said it was cheaper than buying a new house.

I got the two dinette cushions cut into four and modified the two cushion covers to fit the new cushions. I think they will work out nicely. If not, two can go into storage. Sure am glad I didn't toss the scraps of canvas from the old tent I used to make all the covers. It was sure nice to be able to use matching fabric. I found those scraps by accident. I would have never looked for them in a tote in the cabin, although I should have thought of that. I have a tote with spare trailer stuff out there and went in search of the chunk of egg crate foam I cut off when I bought some for my bed. Now I'll need that leftover piece when I make the bed bigger, so I'm glad I didn't toss that, too. Anyway, I was happy to stumble on the canvas for the cushion covers in the same tote, before I started tearing the sewing room apart and getting frustrated. Sometimes things actually do work out.

I also need a queen size mattress pad, now that I have to give up my nice heated mattress pad and make the bed bigger. I was planning to look for one at the thrifts, but while I was looking for the drapes I want to make over into the hanging pockets for the CP cabinet in the camper, I ran across a slightly damaged off white quilted bedspread I got from a free box a few years ago. I dragged it out to the camper and found it will be a great fit, even though I used a chunk of it already for something else. It'll make a really nice mattress pad, get a big piece of something out of my sewing closet, and save me some money. It also has some really pretty lace on it I'll salvage for other purposes. I'm very happy I found it. I never thought about using it but it's going to be a perfect purpose for it.

I feel like I'm making progress. The next challenge is the bed. Husby and I had another long talk last night about what to do with the bed. We hate, hate, hate having to sleep in a bed that has three sides enclosed, because then someone is always crawling over someone. It's annoying and also a trip hazard, especially with two good sized dogs in the mix. I've been trying for a while (years) to think of a way to make the bed big enough so we could sleep crossways instead of the usual way, but the bed is only five feet wide with a wall at the head end and cabinets at the foot. Every idea I ever had was too involved and required too dang much work to set up and take down. But this morning I had a flash of brilliance, so I'm going to see if I can make it all work out. It's going to be tricky, but just maybe it'll work. It's hard to explain but the main gist is using the storage pails we store under that bed to make a platform for our feet at night, by pulling three of the pails out into the aisle between the cabinets and matching the height of the bed by putting a cushion on the pails. I know it's hard to imagine it but if it works I'll post some pics. I'll have to get creative about the bedding with that sort of T-shaped configuration for a mattress, but I had some new ideas about that, too. I'm kind of excited to give it all a try. We already love the new dinette setup and don't want to go back to having to use it for a bed again. The only way to avoid that is to solve the bed problem.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sounds like y'all are busy moving stuff around. Today was a "me" day. I went out and had my hair done, it was such a mess after this dry winter. Tomorrow is our anniversary and I wanted it to look nice. DH doesn't know it yet, but he is taking me out for dinner. I made reservations. Then I checked out a new quilt shop (and bought FQs on clearance) and got myself a fancy coffee drink.

Moving furniture is a nice way to freshen up a room for the season. You know, the light moves around, you want to catch a breeze from the window, etc. A couple of year ago I redecorated with new pillow covers and a fresh couch throw and it didn't cost much.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sigh. Didn't get much done on my afgans last night.

Right now, I'm dealing with the roof to my apartment building leaking. That's an issue because I'm on the top floor and water's coming through the ceiling. It hasn't done more than stain the ceiling but we've been getting rain lately. There has been a couple of really heavy rains lately (as well as the big snow storms a month ago) so it might become an issue later. I did put a call into the leasing office. So yesterday, I come home to my dead bolt unlocked and my bedroom light on. The handle was locked but I know I locked both when I left in the morning. Plus I know I turned off the light before I left as well.

Turns out maintenance came in with the roofing contractor to do an inspection and figure out where the leak is exactly yesterday and didn't bother to turn off the light or lock the door. While I understand they just wanted to be in and out, if they don't (or forget to) lock the handle lock, anyone can just walk in and steal stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always hated renting. I hope they can get the problem fixed soon.

I measured the new bed this AM and the main part will be 60" long and 82" wide, both good measurements, considering. The foot platform will be about 12" by 30". I'm starting to get really excited about the possibility of this working out. We laid across the bed yesterday and there would be plenty of space for us and for the dogs in the middle, almost a foot more than our king size bed in the house. The pails are big enough to support our feet. We would be able to scoot to the 'foot' of the bed to get out, no climbing over a sleeping person. We'd be able to use our fan/lights far enough from each other that it wouldn't bother the other person, and we could each have our own pockets to store our books, glasses, flashlights, etc on the wall beside each of us. This new arrangement is a trade-off like most things are, but we would gain so much more than we lose if it works out. We do NOT want to go to a full-height travel trailer and really love our little pointy-headed trailer. Besides, it's paid for and we've done a ton of mods on it to get it to this point. I'd hate to start over with a new camper and have to do all that work again.

Assuming we can get the bed to work, the only major complaint we'll have left about the camper would be not having comfortable chairs. The dinette benches don't cut it if we want to sit for very long. It just now occurred to me that folding boat seats might be a good replacement. I guess we'll be stopping at some boat dealers and test-sitting some seats before long.

I got the bedspread ready to make over last night, so will be working on that today. I have to shave off some foam to make the cushions fit flat. That puzzled me for a while, but then I realized the cushions must have spread out from being slept on for years. But I have my trusty bread knife at the ready to do the surgery, so no problem.

I also thought of a NIP sheet I had in the sheet stash that would be a good color and print for the camper. It's the right size, I think but unfortunately I recently removed the corner elastic because I was going to use it for another project that didn't work out. I'm sure I'll figure out how to correct that. I'm happy to have thought about that sheet. Less to buy. It's looking like any new bedding I buy for this bed project would just be optional. I'm always happy to save money and use up excess stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, I don't mind renting. My complex is in a good area and getting around is easy. The neighbors are ok, the worst from them is usually the occasional thumps and bangs during the day. There is someone in another building (the complex has multiple buildings) with that obnoxious muffler which makes the noise louder, rather than actually muffling the noise. One of these days I'm going to complain, especially since they tend to leave late in the evening when I'm getting ready for bed.

I do have to go to a laundromat to wash my clothes but at least we have a self-serve one on site, rather than having to go some place else.

On the other hand, I don't have to worry about maintenance, such as the roof. I can't grow anything on my balcony, mostly because my apartment faces the wrong way. Since I was able to get into the community garden down the road, that's no longer a problem.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hate cars with glass pack mufflers, too. But I'm young enough to remember how cool we thought they sounded when we were young enough not to know better.

It doesn't feel like I got a lot done today. I couldn't focus on the bed project, so ended up doing some procrastination chores instead, all of them camper related except making bread.

I thought I was out of spare foam rubber for the foot platform, so I dragged out the step stool and pulled almost everything off the big shelf I have in the sewing room.
    This is the shelf, right there above the shelving with the industrial thread on big cones.

I thought all I had left was scraps and pillow stuffing. But way in the back, I found two biggish pieces. I can use the smaller of the two and save the other one for another project, and use up the pathetic little pile of scraps I thought were all I had left. To finish it off, I'm going to use the spare egg crate foam I was going to add to the new bed but decided not to. I need to add about 9" to the pails to get to the right height to match up with the bed. At least I don't have to think about what I could use instead of foam anymore.

I also got one of the cushions cut down too, so everything fits like it should now.

I did the minor repairs the new bedspread turned mattress pad needed, so that's ready to go. The repairs were needed because of the piece I had already used for another project that was removed from the rest of it.

I removed my wall pockets and ripped them apart so they can be reconfigured, so those are ready now. That will only take a few minutes. I'm relieved I'll be able to keep them because they've worked out so wall for me over the past few years.

I figured out some other little mods too, which took some time.

Now that I've written stuff down, I feel better. I've been feeling like I wasted a day but I've actually gotten more done than it seems.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I cut the foam last night for the foot cushion, including piecing the middle layer from a bunch of tiny pieces because I was so determined to save the one larger piece for something I'm sure I'll need it for in the future. I'll put the pieced layer in its own casing to hold it all together, since I looked up a can of spray glue for foam online last night and I'm not paying $24 for that. My goal today is to get the bed put together, at least up to and including finishing the mattress pad and getting that installed.

So much of what I've gotten done the past two days is ripping up stuff so it can be reconfigured or repurposed. I think that's why it feels like I'm spinning my wheels. It takes a long time but doesn't look like progress.

Time to get started.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got some work done on the blue afgan last night. It looks like getting the extra skein of blue a few weeks back was a good idea. I think the difference is that I made these afgans (the blue and green ones I'm making for friends) a bit wider because my friends are married (to each other) and have kids. It would be nice for them to be able to cuddle up with the kiddos on the couch and use the afgans.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree, it's great to cuddle up with someone on the couch.

I am puttering with plants today. Too cold to leave stuff out overnight, so it's musical pots after breakfast as everything gets moved out for some sun. Got some tomatoes at the community garden this morning, too cold yet for basil they said. I have a bunch of dianthus to plant out front, don't know if I will do that today, it's still a bit muddy after the rain. I seeded some pots out back a few days ago, and have some more seed to put in the pots out front. Hoping the squirrels won't dig it all up. Also repotted a small cactus. It was cute last year in its tiny pot but it has grown so tall now it won't stand up.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Iíve come down with a really bad case of the do-nothings. No cure in sight. Not that Iím looking very hard. Yesterday all I managed to do was sort a few beads and late last night clean out the fridge at least to the degree of finding out what was beginning to smell. Ick! I did start a grocery list but then talked myself out of going anywhere today.

Itís been full of excitements, relatively speaking, down here on the farm. Yesterday they were moving in a mobile home on the second lot over, and the on the next door lot, I got a brief glimpse of my neighbor and her mother and uncle trying to catch one of their ducks in an open field. That was pretty entertaining - lol. And today they are working on the road through our lot. Itís not up to another round of heavy trucks when Sharon starts to build. Itís being extended farther back, regraded, and getting tons of crushed concrete to surface it. Why work? Thereís too much to watch.

Iím still puzzling over the furniture arrangement. I always seem to end up with one more bookcase or cabinet than I have wall space for. I have to pick up some extra totes tomorrow. Iím moving the puzzles I have already worked into the attic. That will empty some cubby spots for whatís in a rolling drawer unit that I will also chuck in the attic. It was a good idea for the apartment but they arenít working well here. The drawers are not completely enclosed in and I keep the doors and windows open so much here that there is always dust and gritty country dirt everywhere. Those drawers are magnets for it.
    Last edited by dcompton; 04-26-2018 at 04:17 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can you enclose the drawer cabinets, D? Dust is the main reason I put backers on all those entertainment centers I've picked up. It's also why I made a cover for this stack of bins. That, and they're just so ugly. The cover made a huge difference on both counts.

Everyone sounds busy. It's that time of year.

I got the foot platform pad made. I hate hand sewing! It seemed like I'd never get that thing done. But it is. I still have to make a slipcover for it but that will be easy, I hope.

I also found some more loose stitching on the hem of the new mattress pad and repaired those and made the pockets in it. It fits well and it's nice and thick, much more than a real mattress pad would have been. Then I got to face the disaster that is our trailer. I got the covers back on the cushions that form our mattress and then got the mattress pad on, after partially disassembling the bed so I could dig out the stuff that was in a couple of little compartments we won't be able to use now. There wasn't much, but that's because most of that stuff was brought in the house for winter because there were batteries in it. It's lanterns and stuff like that. But the compartments are cleared out now and we won't have to dig them out later. Good thing I finally remembered that stuff before I had the bed all made up. I would have had to teach myself some new bad words if that happened. That bed is no fun at all to make since I can't walk around it on any side.

I tidied up the camper a little and moved some stuff around. I've been complaining to myself for days about losing the storage under the dinette, but I had forgotten that making the bed a foot wider gives us more space in that area. I think we may actually gain some space. I'm giving the new spaces some thought. Eventually we'll figure out what goes where and what has to just go.

I can't believe how tired I am when I haven't gotten anything done that looks like much. Although the bed looks great! I probably won't get the bottom sheet done today but I should get a start at least.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I thinks itís better to just abandon the drawers at present. If I store the finished puzzles Iíll have room in the cubbies for part of the contents, and Iím going to get some extra shelves for a tall bookcase and that will hold the rest. The shelve has holes for pegs intermittently so the spacing will be rather strange, but it wonít matter. I donít trust anyone around here to drill new holes even enough for shelf pegs. Besides why make work. I can get Loweís to trim them to size for me I think. If not, I can stilll make it work without them. A cover would not work. I get into these often enough that it would be a real nuisance.