2018 Stash Management - Page 6
Page 6 of 151 FirstFirst ... 34567891656106 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, yea! When we went to the cabin to get the antique sewing machine cabinet I turned into a planter stand a couple years ago, I found a typing table I had forgotten about. We brought that in too, and I think it'll be the perfect size and shape to sit at the end of the craft table. It's worth a try anyway. If I find something I like better I can still pick it up. But free is good and this one is really free, because Husby's employer furnished our entire home office back in the 1980s, so we never paid for it. When they laid Husby off, they told us to keep everything except the printer and the company car. The typing table was used but like new and still is. It's just basic, a rectangular top with four square legs and a little slide out shelf with a shallow drawer, but I've always liked it. Too bad my office chair won't fit under it. Still, I think it'll work out fine. I've had sewing machines on it before and didn't mind the small area.

My office looks a lot better in spite of the clutter that has grown out there since I haven't used it, now that we've taken two tables out of it.

I still plan to build the drop down ironing board though.

For the moment I'm happy to have managed our furniture stash rather than adding to it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finished skein #4 and started skein #5 on my friend's afgan. It's finally over my knees. It's a bit longer than that but I pull part of it up in order to crochet a bit more comfortably. I probably could've done more over the weekend but I went out to the coffee shop to work on my story. I seem to be doing more that that lately.

The down comforter worked well over the weekend. I did use a couple of other blankets as well for weight. On the other hand, the down comforter is old and most of the down sort of migrated to the edges. I need to figure out how to move them back. On the other hand, the temps are finally warming up. It was nearly as warm on my way to work this morning (15*) as it was the warmest part yesterday afternoon (18*). It got down to -2* yesterday morning, just before dawn. We're supposed to get freezing rain this afternoon. Not looking forward to that, with getting home tonight. But it's supposed to get into the 40*'s tomorrow and up into the 50*'s by the end of the week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like good progress on the afghan, Ren.

I've heard that running down stuff through the dryer with a pair of clean tennis shoes is supposed to help fluff up down. I think it would work on the cool cycle on the dryer. I've never tried it, but it used to be the advice people gave for down coats.

I got some destruction done on the craft table build and some repair and reconstruction done, too. I have some things ready to cut which I'll do later. It was 23 degrees when I woke up at 4:30 AM so it's plenty warm to work outside for a while. Tomorrow is supposed to be decent too, so I need to take advantage. Wednesday we start another round of falling temps. Oh, joy. I want to cut some plexiglass too, to make some panels to go into some wire drawers where we store potatoes and onions. I think that would keep Shadow from eating that stuff when we're not home. The potatoes don't matter so much, but onions are poisonous for dogs and I'm getting tired of having to lock them in a bedroom every time we leave. One of these days we'll forget.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the suggestion about the tennis shoes in the dryer. I don't have clean tennis shoes but I do have the alpaca dryer balls I use for my regular laundry. Maybe that will work. One good thing is the dryers in the complex laundromat have a 'no heat' selection. And it might help with the dust, perhaps? I haven't used this comforter in years so it's been stuffed in a closet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can wash down. Some, anyway. It depends if it's in fabric sturdy enough not to fall apart.

I had a good morning. I got the bottom two drawers from the new craft cabinet converted to one drawer. It's not pretty, and there was no way to make the spacing between the drawer fronts all match, but it's sturdy and works fine, so I'm satisfied. Nobody will notice, particularly since I expect, if I have the space in a new, smaller house someday, this cabinet will end up in a work room where it doesn't matter so much what it looks like. I'm way happier with the drawers made over this way than with two shallow drawers at the bottom. I also framed and installed the piece that creates the kneehole. I need that because I don't have anywhere to store my sewing chair, and because the cabinets without it were only four feet long. Now they're six feet. I already love it. Not too big, not too small, just right. There will be room on the right hand end for the fold-down ironing board to attach, once the dog crate is moved out. This table will be a multi-use space because we don't have a basement and I end up needing to do things in the house, like paint things and construct things if the weather isn't cooperative.

This is the little typing table I forgot I had.

I think I'm going to like that sitting at the end of the cabinets. It's too wide now, but will be just right once I build the shelving across the back of the cabinets. That will make the tabletop 10-12 inches wider, depending on what I can scare up for lumber. That didn't look encouraging when I was poking around in the garage this morning. I'm not opposed to buying new lumber but I'd rather use what I have, so I'll probably be able to figure out something. I'll be able to do a more through search come spring.

Still have to do the backer on the bigger cabinet, but Husby is home from work early tomorrow and I'm hoping he can help me dig out some lumber. The way things are right now out there, what I need is buried and it'll be much easier to get it out with two people.

I was kinda dreading dealing with those drawers, so it's a relief to have those done. Everything else is very easy. And with the kneehole created now, this project is starting to look like something. Happy me!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use the no-heat setting all the time to fluff bedding and remove cat hair.

Nice make over job on the cabinets. Just needs a swipe of paint and nobody would ever know.

Got a couple of blocks sewn. Stepping on the foot more and trying to ease the leg muscles back into shape.

It's 44 out right now. OMG! Where's the suntan lotion! LOL!
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, CH. It's been a while since I just had to fluff bedding. Most often, I wash most of my sheets/blankets in the same way I do my clothes. I'm a bit more fussy with the woolen stuff (sweaters, etc.) and I haven't used this down blanket in ~years~.

Right now it's ~31*, which is the warmest it's been in weeks! I may or may not use the down blanket tonight but I'm glad I didn't get rid of it years ago like I had planned some time back. I'll probably won't need the extra layers when crocheting tonight. I find I'm a bit more sensitive to the cold, especially when I'm sitting still for extended periods of time (such as when I'm crocheting or writing). Most winters aren't that bad, but the cold recently (especially the really bitter cold this past weekend) really bothered me. I have forced hot air for heat and it has a pretty strong draft when it's on and blowing. That sort of negates the warm air in some ways.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do plan to paint everything but will probably wait till I get the shelving built. Or maybe not. I haven't thought much about it except to wonder what I have for paint and what color I'd want. I'll probably settle for something we already have though. I really don't want to spend money on this project. I can't paint the cabinets till I figure out what to use for the toe kicks to cover up the old adhesive.

It got up to 34 today here in our screen room. I'm sure it's almost that outside. It wasn't bad out in the garage today even though all the stuff out there is still colder than air temp, of course. But I was working in a sweatshirt and not suffering too much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Progress.

Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was driven to rarely used bedding too. I have a heavy quilt that is just too warm to use, but pulled it out for the deep freeze days and it was welcome. I also used a throw for the recliner that is also never in use. It's one of those microfiber throws with the fake Sherpa lining. It looked toasty but turned out to be roasting. I've already switched out the bed quilts but I need to put away the throw and go back to my light lap quilt.

Last night I decided I would use the new cotton polyester blend floss for the seasonal samplers. I matched it to the DMC I had pulled. Some of the colors, especially the blues, are not real matches but are pretty close. They will be fine for these that have almost nothing in the way of shading. That's what I plan to use all really cheap eBay floss for. It should work fine for simpler projects, letting me save the (many times) more expensive DMC and Anchor for bigger, more complex things with significant shading.

I think the finger is usable again. The last couple of days I've spent what would have been stitching time listening to audiobooks and playing with my bananagram letter tiles. No rules. I just grab them a handful at a time and try to make interesting words in a free flowing grid. That's for when I really want to idle time away. I also confess to some ultimate low brow you tube time - watching some driving fail compilations, mostly from Russia. The most astonishing thing isn't the crashes, but the reaction of pedestrians in city shots. Talk about minding your own business! In some of them the people may glance at the wreck, or not even that, and just keep walking on as though there had not been a huge grinding smash nearby. I've also watched some much higher brow equestrian show jumping and three day eventing. I am in awe at the athleticism and beauty of the horses and the skill of the riders. So I have given my finger some time off and had a mental vacation too. You tube is the black hole of time management.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Progress made on the wool pants, they still need waistband and hems. Sort-of goal is to wear to work on Friday. The fabric was stored so long the fold lines are very hard to press out. I had 2 pressing sessions already but now the legs are sewn it's not as easy. May need to do a hand wash and line dry then re-iron.
    We have freezing rain today, sure hope I can get to work without a problem Tuesday. I found out there is a shuttle bus from work to nearby metro station which is an emergency possibility. Need to start carrying the plastic fare card w/ me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DLR, I wonder if steaming would help, and if it would shrink or felt the wool. Maybe steam is a bad idea.

I like your color combo, CH.

I have a question for you. You mentioned you ran stuff through your dryer on the no-heat cycle to suck the cat hair off. How long do you run it? I've tried that here for about twenty minutes and it didn't seem to help any.

We even carry extra bedding in the camper. You know, the tiny camper with no room for anything unnecessary. Our bedding system that stays on the beds is sheets, light blanket, and comforter (not down.) But we also have two comforters stashed in stuff bags in a cabinet under my bed. We don't use them much, but having gone through some nights when we'd have sold our souls for them, they're standard equipment now and always on board. There is nothing quite as miserable as spending a toe-freezing, teeth-chattering, endless night in a freezing camper. We do have a furnace but tend not to run it at night for safety and economy and because it's noisy. We just switch it on in the morning shortly before we get up to make things toasty. We've camped in temps down to about 25 degrees (in our canvas pop ups) with no heat and been wonderfully toasty with our quilts, fleece hats, and wool socks.

I need a different TV time project. Last night I tried to knit on the slippers I started a few weeks ago, but Cody AKA Boomerang kept coming back to exactly the same spot every time I moved her, which resulted in her getting whacked in the head with the end of a knitting needle every time I made a stitch. The dizzy girl purred about it and then fell asleep every darn time. She's just so happy to be out of her crate and able to sit with me again. It's so cute but I couldn't keep smacking her in the head like that, so couldn't knit.

I just keep going into the FR to look at my new craft table-in-progress. I can't believe it's coming together so nicely and that I finally fixed that stupid annoying drawer arrangement after all these years. I sure hope I can round up enough lumber to make the shelves so I don't have to buy anything.

I came up with ideas how to make some relatively minor changes to the pot rack, too. Some of them I can do right now, but the big one will require that the rack be completely emptied and moved, and then while we're at it we might as well paint behind it. It won't be fun. But it won't be difficult, just time-consuming. I'm hoping to avoid making it any taller because then I'd have to get rid of too much stuff I don't want to, like expensive Dutch ovens. I'll have to compromise on some of the things I wanted to store there, but I think it would be worth it. I'm still mulling it all over, but I like the changes I've dreamed up so far.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DC, youtube is indeed a black hole. Glad your finger is better.

Dlr, hope you get the pants finished. Wool seems like a good idea for this weather.

SD, the dryer 'fluff' cycle runs 10 minutes. I may run it twice if needed. It doesn't get ALL the hair, but it fills the lint trap every time.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The one downside of using the complex laundromat is the fact I don't get to do just 10 minutes in the dryer. It's pretty much an hour to begin with and ~then~ the option of adding more time. Although I do think I need to do some fluffing with the no heat, eventually.

It's already warmer (or getting there) than it has been for the last couple of weeks. This morning it was ~25* when I was driving into work. It didn't get that warm even during the 'warmest' parts of the day over the weekend. It's going to get into the 40's today and into the 50's by Friday, then back down into the 20/30's over the weekend. It's not supposed to get as cold as it was this past weekend, but it'll be actual winter weather, at least. I'm debating on whether I'll put the down blanket back in my storage closet once winter's over, or just on a shelf in my inside closet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It would be worth an hour in the dryer if it re-fluffed the quilt.

I put the hooks a lot closet together in my pot rack. I can't say I like the look as well, but I gained quite a bit of space. I'll try it this way for a while and see how I like it. If I do, then I'll build some custom shelves to fit specific pieces on the right side of that shelf or maybe change the hooks again and make them just a little bit further apart, plus the shelf. I have time to think about it. Here's what I started with this morning.

Here are the changes. I like this because at the least, I know I can keep all my frying pans even if I have to downsize to a much smaller pot rack.

The other plan for this rack is to make the first shelf behind the mixer shorter so the mixer goes all the way back to the wall. I also will put in a shelf that's a little bit deeper instead of the one that's there now. I will be able to put wide mouth quart jars on it, two deep. That's the big compromise which I hate, but the trade-off is I get to keep the shelf with the baskets on it, which I've become fond of. I think what I have planned now is the best option. I can't wait to see it all done. I have to empty the rack and take it down to deal with the bottom shelf so it could be a while before I get to that. Still, I'm motivated because I hate the mixer sitting on the edge of the buffet like that.

Page 6 of 151 FirstFirst ... 34567891656106 ... LastLast