2018 Stash Management
Page 1 of 151 12341151101 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 2018 Stash Management

Another year and still lots of stash to manage. This thread is about managing the various stashes we've collected for all the things we love. Arts, crafts, DIY materials, books, candy bars (well, we try not to have one of those), anything we squirrel away to enjoy later.

This may be a year to expand the stash, reduce the stash, figure out how to organize the stash, or just sit and look at it and dream of all its possibilities. The only guideline is "your stash, your rules." If you are reducing it, we cheer you on. If you are expanding it, we are a bunch of highly skilled enablers. If you want to organize it, we will share our experience and ideas.

We will also chat about all kinds of things along the way. Come join us as we share what we are doing with our stashes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

For me, this is the year to put the brakes on expansion and try to use only what I have on hand. This should not be a hardship since it looks like I live in a hobby warehouse. After nearly 70 years on this earth I know I will fall off the wagon but I hope to keep the tumbles to the barest minimum. This includes all kinds of needlework stash and books. There is no way to pretend I don't have more than enough. It does not include necessities like needles and such, or the occasional tool if I find one that seems especially useful. Also exempt are audiobooks. Since I listen hours every day, I won't limit those. However I do have a backlog of new ones I've picked up at Audible sales and I will try to catch up with that before adding much new, except from the sales that and daily deals that occasionally turn up something I want.

For the first part of the year I want to dig into the cross stitch and work on some of the new patterns I just binge stashed. I also should work on some of the ufo's, but no promises there. Most of those are large and I would rather get more smaller ones done to have more variety for the display board.

Sadly I am not going to get the organization finished up today. I thought the communal New Year feasting would all be tomorrow, but it's become a two day feast. I was texted today's lunch and supper menu and since I always prefer eating to working, I guess I will be spending much of the day in the kitchen house, our gathering place. I'll enjoy that but it would have been great to get everything done here.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My 2018 plan is to continue stash-busting. Limited spending on new fabric, crafts and hobby supplies, because I already have enough to open a store of my own. Exceptions are for items that get used up while finishing projects, such as glue, thread, brushes, sewing needles and quilt batting. Storage needed to contain the clutter is also exempt. I'm allowing myself $20 'fun money' to spend at quilt and hobby shows, out of which I pay admission and can buy a trinket or two.

I'm looking forward to playing with my new fabric cutter, and want to complete a large quilt this year.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Same here, I plan to keep working on using up stuff in the sewing room, moreso than other craft supplies. I also want to work on making my kitchen more functional. It's pretty good but there's always room for improvement. As our food needs change, some of our kitchen habits and storage need to change, too.

We made huge progress with the garage stash last summer but we still have to put in the ceiling and insulation and continue getting all the stuff that lives on the floor dealt with. We got a lot done last season so I'm hoping it won't take too long.

As always, I'm working on food stash management. I want to do some smallish projects in the pantry and rebuild the pot rack so it meets our needs better. I built out both areas years and years ago, and our needs have changed since then so it's time for an adjustment.

In many ways 2017 was a great year for us but in other ways it wasn't good at all. I'm looking forward to moving on to 2018 and leaving 2017 in the history books.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just joined an Instagram challenge to read all of the unread books I have on my shelves before buying any more. So, that's the first stash I'm gonna be dealing with. I may actually just sell a bunch (I already sold 25 about a month ago) and then read the ones that I really want to read. Anyway, this is the first stash in the house I'm planning on organizing and dealing with in the new year.
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Debt:
    Mortgage - $399,526.10
    Grocery Budget Challenge: $749.08/$800.00

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi Amy. Welcome to the stash thread. I'm limiting book purchases this year too. I began by unsubscribing from BookBub this morning and I have enough unread on the Kindle that I'm going to tell Amazon to stop sending me an email or two every single blessed day about books I have to read. I ordered five clearance books from Better World Books last week and when they arrive I am going to unsubscribe from their emails and delete the icon from my phone. Lead me not into temptation!

I stayed home after all today and Sharon just sent meals over. I really could not bring myself to abandon the house in the state it was still in. I got sidetracked for a chunk of the afternoon but I have made some progress so I'm forgiving myself for that. I'm so tired of it right now almost anything can distract me - all the more reason to buckle down and just get it done. My goal was to finish by New Year's Day and I'm fast running out of time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I shuffled a few things around in the sewing room. Got rid of DH's stuff that had been stuck in there temporarily. I can get in and sit at the sewing machine. I put some christmas craft stuff away. Before I knew it, it was 4pm and the sun was going. I'm going to try again tomorrow to get that surface cleared off. The stuff on it now may just end up in a box on the floor.

Our overnight temp is dropping like a rock. I just looked at it a few minutes ago and it said -19. I thought, holy cow that must be some kind of record! Then I noticed the decimal point between the two digits. Since I've been sitting here it has dropped to -2.5.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

At 11:27 I am pretty much out of time. I've accomplished quite a bit though. Tomorrow I think we are only doing supper together so I may have more time here than I expected. Both guys are off tomorrow and one of them is going to get drafted to haul some now unused storage containers to the attic. While ago I bagged up the little containers I had been using for the beads and tossed them on the trash heap. That hurt, but the sections are too small for anything except beads and too many of the snap down tops are unreliable. They are that not very clear translucent plastic. It was ok for the beads, but it would be impossible to see the small bits of metallic thread well enough to distinguish many of them without opening all the lids. That is the only other thing that would have fit in the tiny sections but it was just not practical, so I just gave up on them. At least they were cheap. Which of course is probably why the tops weren't great.

I am not allowing any more container purchases with one exception. When I get all the floss ready to box, if I don't have enough I will get more of those because they are the only practical solution. I have several I can empty of what's in them - odd things like Persian wool and such I have used a little, but not often. That kind of thing can just go in zip lock bags in a cubby. Other than that I have to make do with whatever is on hand. I have spent a lot on the house and craft storage the last six weeks or so. Too much. But I'm very happy with how it's turning out.

I haven't looked at the weather but we were supposed to be in the low 20s tonight. CH - I'm glad you don't really have -19, but I bet SD would settle for it!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, everyone!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This year is the year I've decided to pare down a LOT! If I haven't used it in two years, I don't need it. I also know that less stuff means easier cleaning! Woohoo!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like you're making progress, CH. Always a good feeling. And I'm happy for you you're not at -19. We were supposed to get wind chills around -36 overnight so I hope no one died coming home from parties. Last night the weather guys were saying we were over eighty consecutive hours below zero so far. It's supposed to hit double digits above tomorrow though. Something to look forward to.

D, sometimes storage just doesn't work out when it seemed like the perfect thing when you bought it. Then it's best to let go. That happens to me a lot with bags. That's why I kept buying different things for sewing machine trolleys that made me all happy in theory and all disappointed in reality. It sounds like you're getting your space whipped into shape anyway, and that's worth what it cost for new storage IMO. Bad storage that doesn't work is so annoying and frustrating.

Good for you, Rhonda! I can't agree with the idea of getting rid of stuff I haven't used in two years, but we're all different. If it works for you, go for it! It's hard to let go of stuff but it gets easier the more you do it.

We let Cody out of her cage after two months and a round of antibiotics and so far she seems to be reliably using her litter box. I sure hope so. She's a nice kitty and we don't want to put her down, but don't want to have her spend her little life locked up, either. She's been purring like a freight train and stuck to me like a tick whenever I'm sitting down. She's been a lonely girl.

The base cabinets Husby moved into the FR are only 2'x4' but I'm going to leave them at that size for now. They have a vinyl countertop which will be good for cutting things, so I can use those cabinets as is (as are?) for a while and see if it's what I want. If I decide it is, then I'll start making some changes. I'm pretty sure I want a bigger top for cutting and shelves back to back with the cabinets for storing canned goods we buy in bulk to make dog food, which we need space for for the foreseeable future. I have some various options in mind but I like to use something for a while before I decide if it works the best for me. I'm glad to be repurposing them instead of buying something new. These are the cabinets I salvaged some random drawers for, because the cabinet was a sink base that had drawer fronts but no drawers. I wasn't happy with how that turned out when I put the new drawers in, but when I looked them over yesterday I can't recall why. At any rate, the price is right so I'm just going to make them work.

It's a new year with some new plans. I'm happy it's here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Glad to hear Cody is out of prison. Hope her issues have cleared up. Our cats are extra snuggly this time of year, too. I get all 3 of them on me when I lay on the couch in the evenings.

Working in the sewing room this afternoon. Took down the 2017 calendar and put up a "new" one. The dates in 2018 fall on the same days as 2001, so I am re-using one I saved. IIRC, I used it in 2007 also. And don't toss that 2017 calendar, it repeats in 2023!

I have been sorting through a box of papers and stuff I saved for various reasons but haven't touched in over a year. Some of it got tossed, not as much as I would have liked. I also cleaned up a bunch of crafting supplies and put them in a spare organizer box. It doesn't make room, but at least it's not constantly falling off the table. I have been using some Wilton cake pans to hold stationery, but DH said he would take them in to work and see if any of the ladies there would like them. I was never able to get anything to bake properly and was unable to sell them online. Getting rid of those does make some space. And there's a shoebox of dollhouse stuff that can go into the basement with the house.

I repaired (again) a picture frame that fell off the wall last fall. DH wants to 3d print a special hook to hold it securely. His first attempt failed (design flaw, not his fault) and the pieces have been sitting for months. But now it is back together and ready for hanging. Dh says he needs to find the right screws.

Tired from sitting on the knee scooter. It's great for getting around, but my knee starts to hurt after a while. Taking a tea break and considering what to do next.

It's a beautiful, sunny 6F today.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Spent the second half of the afternoon going through old binders looking for a quilt pattern. I have 7 old notebooks of costume stuff. That was a trip down memory lane. Pre-computer, pre-internet, pre-digital camera days. I used to hang out in musty libraries and photocopy pages from books, or trace them on graph paper, and make sketches. I wrote newbie costume guides for Ren Faires and distributed them among friends. Some ended up being "published" in various enthusiast newsletters. I even had one festival costume mistress ask if they could use my work as guidelines for their cast!

I also went through 3 binders of quilt patterns, designs and sketches. I used to write "how to" guides, like how to attach a binding, or how to sew backing pieces together. A lot of those were also "published" in guild newsletters. So much of that on the internet now, I doubt they still print those things on paper. I did not find the pattern I was looking for. I did manage to squeeze the 3 quilt binders into a spot on the bookshelf, instead of the floor.

DH is going to take the folding hand cart to the garage, and I found more christmas stuff that can return to the basement for another year. So there is progress.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like you're off to a good start in the new year, CH.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Rhonda, I am much more likely than Spirit Deer to agree with the two year rule. I just have no patience for unused stuff sitting around. Now that I have an attic some can go up there, which is probably pretty much the same as getting rid of it.

LOL I think a broke a record for the shortest lived New Year's stash rule. I just ordered containers for spools and bobbins. I have always just had them tossed in a box with the predictable ensuing mess. In my defense if I had managed to finish up the organizing when I wanted to, I would probably have already bought them. But that really is the last unless, as I said, I need a few extra floss boxes.

I'm still making progress too. A neighbor put some now unused containers in the attic this morning. I will probably have a few more things by tomorrow - some wire shelves and anything else that ends up unused I am keeping a few containers accessible should I need them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I re-use old calendars also, have several to choose from. I ordered a $10 AC Moore gift card from doing surveys. That is the one I was so irritated about - they limit me to choosing that GC only once per calendar quarter. So it worked today. Of course I have not used the yarn I bought there with the last GC a couple months ago.

Page 1 of 151 12341151101 ... LastLast