2019 Stash Management - Page 10
Page 10 of 194 FirstFirst ... 789101112132060110 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

went though the freezer and a few other things like that. guides last night got the box of lego out of the house. girls had fun with them. still working on my mils capelet. at the keep repeating the same row over and over until long enough part.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kathy I heard fed workers will be paid for the shutdown time (eventually.) There's also a news article about the decluttering movement has been good, resulting in books donated to the library. I always check the library "book sale" shelves when I am there. Small paperbacks are 50 cents.

I have been working (job) evenings and weekends. Thinking about small projects. I don't want to mess with the inherited quilt top yet, it is too big. Probably will just keep cutting up blocks when I have a few minutes. There are also unfinished cross-stitch projects that are easy to pick up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made the mistake of feeding a bowl of WW Asian pork ball soup to Husby last night. He liked it. I've been making it for years for my lunches. But now I'm going to have to start making double batches. I'm going to try making it with ground chicken when I use up the ground pork in the freezer. Cheaper and healthier. I'm sure it will be just as good. Using chicken would mean buying one less item I have to find space for in the freezer.

Has anyone heard from CH or know why she hasn't been posting?

More sewing of gowns for me today. It seems like I can get through 5 or 6 before I get tired of them. It's been going well though, and I'm getting my skills back and speeding things up.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It is comforting to know my husband and I will get paid eventually. Hopefully our savings will last till then.

We have tried to be very conservative in our spending for now.

We have been doing some stash clearing in our freezer and pantry. We have almost eaten through our freezer.

We went through some old costume stuff and old blankets and sheets. There was a lot we got rid of. I have a few things that can be used as everyday clothing with little or no modifications. I have a few pairs of hakama. These are the pants with very wide legs you see on Japanese shows set in the samurai era. There looks to be enough material on each one for a skirt.

I have been thinking a bit about embroidery. Specifically about going from a pattern or not. Many pattern I see are just outlines. It is up to the individual to choose the outline stiches, the filling stiches, the thread type and the color. So even following a pattern there is lots of creativity.

I have one I will work on I traced from a book. I don't have any of the disappearing markers for embroidery. I will have to cover the lines completely since it is in permanent marker.

I am also going through the stiching through the seasons book I have. I am not planning to do the projects listed in the book. But I am practicing the small designs in the book. There are flowers listed for each season. I will stitch the winter flowers till the first day of spring. Then stitch the spring flowers till the first day of summer. Etc.

The flowers seem to be okay for stitching without tracing first. I did the first flower last night. It is a fatsia. This is the type that has clumps of very small flowers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-img_20190116_175102_1547730269373.jpg  

KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

lol - I offered to make an afgan for one of my father's nurses at his facility. I have to pick up the yarn because she likes/wanted colors I don't keep in on-hand in any quantity. Oh well. I'll either pick up the yarn for this new project on Saturday before the snow starts or wait until later in the week next week.

I'm getting closer to finishing skein #7. I'll probably have it done by tomorrow evening or Saturday morning. Definitely looking like a stay-at-home weekend, if only for the cold on Sunday and Monday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kathy, if you trace embroidery patterns with a #2 pencil, it will wash out once you're done. Also, sometimes for beadwork I do a long running stitch with contrasting sewing thread to transfer the design, for example if I'm working on velvet or a dark color that a pencil would not show up. I draw the pattern or copy it on lightweight paper and then just lay the paper over the fabric and stitch through both, then tear the paper away. You could just embroider over the threads and cover them. Obviously that works best for designs without a lot of detail. You can buy an embroidery transfer pencil that will iron on fabric, after you get your income back, of course. I do understand financial lockdown, having been there myself at times. Here's one of the embroidery pencils at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Iron-Tran...ransfer+pencil

JA probably has them, too, or Michaels. It looks like there are different products available for transferring patterns. I've only worked with the pencils myself.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

One of my books suggested using a very fine pigma micron pen. The lines are fine enough to easily cover. When I was doing a lot of satin stitch embroidery back in high school, I traced the pattern into tissue paper and just did all the stitching over it. With such close stitching the meddle pretty much cut the pattern away. The bits under the satin stitching could be gently teased out, or more often I just left them in place since these were pictures and would not be washed.

Kathy - I’m still just slogging along on the stash and house. I’m jealous that you are actually stitching. My day will come. Eventually.

Yesterday was the first day I met the little girl at the bus. It did not go according to plan. In theory I would meet her, then she would go home, let the dogs out, do her homework, a few chores, and her mom would be home soon. If there was scary weather she would stay with me. She’s almost nine, and a short time alone would be ok for her. Wrong. She couldn’t get out of the empty house fast enough. It wasn’t five minutes until she was at my door. She had been here a few minutes then said she forgot the let dogs out and ran home to do that. She was immediately back, waiting for me to entertain her. I sent her back home to bring something to do- I was working in the kitchen and had no intention of turning this into an expectation of playtime with Donna.

That sounds terribly selfish, but I am not good At All with kids, having been around them one on one almost never as an adult. Add to that how introverted I am and that making small talk even with adults is close to being a non-starter with me. Doing it with a child and coming up with ideas to amuse her is way, way above my competence rating.

In theory her mom and cousin would be home about an hour after she arrived. It was two hours. Her other cousin is working now but doesn’t have a car so they must have gone to pick him up, very far away from where they work. If that’s the case it’s always going to late when they get home. As I thought of it, it was probably the first time she was left completely alone. If so, it may just take time until she learns to handle it, which of course won’t happen if she stays here. I certainly don’t mind being her safe place, but step one will be getting her to entertain herself. It seems very strange to me. I was thrilled when I was judged old enough to be left home for an hour or two by myself. I loved it. But then I was an introvert and could totally relax when alone. With people around I’m always sort of “on stage.” The introverts out there will know what I mean. This kid is extrovert in spades, always wants to be around people and the center of everyone’s attention, and is pretty high maintenance on the entertainment front, which is probably why she wears me down so quickly. Like in 10 minutes. Sigh. Of course when she’s home with her mom or other relatives, she’s probably lower key, but like the true introvert she is, being around people, like at our holiday gatherings, really ratchets up her enery level.

Fortunately they think her dad will finally be cleared to come in April, maybe March. Once he is here, he can take over until school is out since it will be a bit before he will get employment worked out. She hasn’t seen him for two or two and a half years and, I’m told, misses him terribly. She will be more than happy to have time with him. I eagerly await his coming, both for their sakes and for mine. “Grandmother” is pretty near the bottom of roles I would choose to play - lol. I hope that doesn’t make me too bad a person.

Meanwhile, just more of the same today. After I pulled the short cuts of ribbon for working stash, I was just going to leave the extra as it fell, but it was a complete rat’s nest. So I’m winding and tying it in neat little packets that won’t get all tangled up. I almost got that done last night and can finish it this afternoon. Then on to - something. With a couple of hours with LG sandwiched in my day. Unless they read her the riot act last night and told her to get over it. Of course, if she’s really scared or uneasy being on her own, she is more than welcome to stay here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Update on my kid sitting trauma. Little Girl went home and has not reappeared. Her mom just texted me to ask if she was in her house. I asked her if LG was nervous about being alone and she said no. They probably laid down the law last night, emphasizing I am only her adult pass to get off the school bus. I told her when she got out of the car that she could come over if she needed to or wanted to. Tomorrow she probably will. We’re supposed to be having thunderstorms and I know they have told her in bad weather she can come to my house. I think she really hates thunder or lightning - I don’t remember which. That’s a legitimate visit and if she does I may let her help but some bread mixes together. Or not.

I will babysit your dog or pony or snake or alligator, but please not your kid. At least until she’s about 13. Or 18. Or 27. Lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LG sounds like our youngest daughter. The worst punishment for her was being sent to her room. She loves people and hates being alone.

I don't think it makes someone bad to know their limitations when dealing with kids. Kids aren't for everyone. However, you could have made good use of her and had her sort your ribbon. 😁 Yes, I know that makes me evil.

Got 5 more gowns done. I hope to finish the last 5 tomorrow, none too soon. Then I can get them pressed, do the last minute QC, and decide what final touches each needs. I also have to figure out how to get all the lint, threads, and hair off them. Satin and dry winter air creates so much static I can't even get threads off my hands while I work. Very annoying.

I threw out a big pile of useless pink velour scraps Mom talked me into taking when she cleaned out her house. That emptied almost half of one of the flat totes I use for gown stuff, so that will give me some room to store completed gowns.

The scraps filled the 30 gallon trash bag I have been using the past 3 or so months. Except for the pink, it's all scraps from sewing all the projects I've done, starting with the jacket I added the leaves to, I think. I must be using up a lot of stash to have generated all that. I've been sewing a lot, that's for sure. No wonder my house is a disaster. But now I can start using my 2 new trash cans. I'm so easily delighted it's just pathetic.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did a little work on the wool-blend afgan (this one's for me) before returning to the wool afgan I'm making for someone else. It felt good to get something done on another WIP, even for just a little while. But with the really cold temps coming Sunday evening into Monday, I know I will definitely appreciate having the wool afgan around my legs. The wool-blend one barely reaches my lap, mostly because I'm using fingering weight yarn on that one. It's something that I'll probably alternate with other projects since I know it's going to take some time to work on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am pretty introvert too so I can understand how you feel. I am not particularly good with kids either. I only have one child. He is an adult now. But he was kind of introverted as a kid so it was some what manageable. He is not planning on having children. I know lots of women are eager for grandchildren. I am not one so it works out well.

Yesterday I finished converting one of the old costume bits to a skirt. It started out as baggy pants gathered into a long narrow cuff. My first thought was to try to get them to work as pants, but after some thought I turned them into a skirt. Pants would have been easier, but I just have a really strong preference for skirts over pants.

SD, the micron pen sounds like a good idea. I already have one or two of them. That way I do not have to use extra thick stitches to cover the lines.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ahhh. Almost done. I know you’ve heard this before but it’s for real this time. Thirty minutes at the outside should do it. I ended up with a large container I can use for extra office supplies. I need to get that all gathered up and then put away the last containers and a few odds and ends, like a bag of seashells I was given some time ago. Then I can seriously work on the kitchen today. If the joints hold out. It’s a little iffy with the weather changes rolling through, one after another.

Our rain isn’t supposed to start until late afternoon but how much we will get will probably depend on which exact bit of land we’re on. It’s only a 50% chance. The odds go up to about 80% in the middle of the night. So we may end up in a swamp or just have rain now and then. A possibility of small hail in the thunderstorms. I’m sure that will all change somewhat as the systems work their way through. Farther north and east of us it is going to be a lot more challenging. For those in midwest, north and northeast, I hope it’s not too dreadful. I think the days of “normal” weather are behind us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Storm #1 is pretty much done in my area. It was just a light coating of snow. Storm #2 is supposed to start mid-afternoon tomorrow, starting off as snow (possibly another dusting) before turning to rain overnight. Sunday night is supposed to get brutally cold (into the single digits - and that's before windchill). I'm just concerned about the possibility of the rain turning to ice Sunday as the temps are supposed to drop relatively rapidly in the afternoon. Even if the rain/snow stops before the temps drop, they're saying that there's a possibility of a flash freeze where the temps drop so fast that any wet area (wires, roads, etc.) will freeze over fast. My main concern is the potential for power outages between the wind and wires icing over to the breaking point, since it's going to be dangerously cold Sunday evening through Tuesday. So far, I've been doing ok with the blankets I have. And I have the down comforter for extra warmth.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yea! It's up to 6 below! We're under a winter weather advisory in anticipation of minus 50 wind chills today into the weekend. So glad we went out of town last weekend so we can stay home this weekend. I walked out to the garage this morning and the snow was pretty squeaky.

I Velcroed a chunk of a wooden closet dowel to my point presser instead of making any changes to the presser. I might need it sometime in its original form, after all. The dowel should work better for pressing sleeves on the little gowns. I sanded off the roughness on the crosscut for now, but next summer I plan to make the end pointy like a giant pencil if I can figure out how. It would be easier to slip the sleeves on. I bought the point presser and pounder at GW a couple years ago for $2, just another of the random useful things I've been able to pick up from our local store. We're going to miss it.

Got the last 5 gowns sewed. I haven't counted yet but I think there are 23 in total. Now I need to press them all and add embellishments. I finished the bow ties last night so those are ready, and I have a big batch of rosettes I made a couple years ago. Embellishing won't take long. It feels good to be this close to done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    One of my books suggested using a very fine pigma micron pen. The lines are fine enough to easily cover. When I was doing a lot of satin stitch embroidery back in high school, I traced the pattern into tissue paper and just did all the stitching over it. With such close stitching the meddle pretty much cut the pattern away. The bits under the satin stitching could be gently teased out, or more often I just left them in place since these were pictures and would not be washed.

Kathy - I’m still just slogging along on the stash and house. I’m jealous that you are actually stitching. My day will come. Eventually.

Yesterday was the first day I met the little girl at the bus. It did not go according to plan. In theory I would meet her, then she would go home, let the dogs out, do her homework, a few chores, and her mom would be home soon. If there was scary weather she would stay with me. She’s almost nine, and a short time alone would be ok for her. Wrong. She couldn’t get out of the empty house fast enough. It wasn’t five minutes until she was at my door. She had been here a few minutes then said she forgot the let dogs out and ran home to do that. She was immediately back, waiting for me to entertain her. I sent her back home to bring something to do- I was working in the kitchen and had no intention of turning this into an expectation of playtime with Donna.

That sounds terribly selfish, but I am not good At All with kids, having been around them one on one almost never as an adult. Add to that how introverted I am and that making small talk even with adults is close to being a non-starter with me. Doing it with a child and coming up with ideas to amuse her is way, way above my competence rating.

In theory her mom and cousin would be home about an hour after she arrived. It was two hours. Her other cousin is working now but doesn’t have a car so they must have gone to pick him up, very far away from where they work. If that’s the case it’s always going to late when they get home. As I thought of it, it was probably the first time she was left completely alone. If so, it may just take time until she learns to handle it, which of course won’t happen if she stays here. I certainly don’t mind being her safe place, but step one will be getting her to entertain herself. It seems very strange to me. I was thrilled when I was judged old enough to be left home for an hour or two by myself. I loved it. But then I was an introvert and could totally relax when alone. With people around I’m always sort of “on stage.” The introverts out there will know what I mean. This kid is extrovert in spades, always wants to be around people and the center of everyone’s attention, and is pretty high maintenance on the entertainment front, which is probably why she wears me down so quickly. Like in 10 minutes. Sigh. Of course when she’s home with her mom or other relatives, she’s probably lower key, but like the true introvert she is, being around people, like at our holiday gatherings, really ratchets up her enery level.

Fortunately they think her dad will finally be cleared to come in April, maybe March. Once he is here, he can take over until school is out since it will be a bit before he will get employment worked out. She hasn’t seen him for two or two and a half years and, I’m told, misses him terribly. She will be more than happy to have time with him. I eagerly await his coming, both for their sakes and for mine. “Grandmother” is pretty near the bottom of roles I would choose to play - lol. I hope that doesn’t make me too bad a person.

Meanwhile, just more of the same today. After I pulled the short cuts of ribbon for working stash, I was just going to leave the extra as it fell, but it was a complete rat’s nest. So I’m winding and tying it in neat little packets that won’t get all tangled up. I almost got that done last night and can finish it this afternoon. Then on to - something. With a couple of hours with LG sandwiched in my day. Unless they read her the riot act last night and told her to get over it. Of course, if she’s really scared or uneasy being on her own, she is more than welcome to stay here.
    what about a sewing marker chalk like pen? the one you use and it washes out. I hear you about kids. and if she had chores etc to do...thing is kids like to unload when they come home so you have to say ok snack tell me about your day and then get your work done. I would have a list of stuff for her to do or movies from library. I am a mix of both types..like people but like my time on my own. unfortunately the males in the family don't! though ds is getting better as a teen in his room with the door open on his computer. wouldn't even go downstairs to play video games unless his sister was there. when dh was home sick and hanging around me 24/7 after 3 days I was done!