2019 Stash Management - Page 102
Page 102 of 194 FirstFirst ... 2529299100101102103104105112152 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The book is "Fire Storm" - one of her early ones. Pickings were slim on the used book shelves.
    Tote bag is finished. BTW don't try to iron polypropylene - good thing my iron has Teflon coating. I was able to wipe off.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the tip, SD. Someone else also mentioned putting up a baffle to redirect the air from the AC. Thing is, I generally don't use the AC to begin with since my apartment's small enough to cool with a window and small floor fan. It's just that most of last week was so hot that the temps didn't drop much below 80* at night.

Sigh. Of course, now the power's out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The little patterns and fabric are sitting on the table calling out to me, but I’ve decided to be responsible for a change and finish the Christmas one first. While I do that I can decide which little one to start with. Probably a tiny shell or a cat head. It should be a quiet day just cross stitching. I’m really motivated now to get it finished so I can move on.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This weekend I did some more on the corded soles. The yarn part of one sole is finished, but I have not sewn the backing on yet. The second one is around 2/3 done. I am sewing it together as I go. I have a sewn up section dangling from the lucet where I am still actively cording. For the second one, instead of pinning it down I am simply using the previously one as a guideline.

The sole is simplified from a regular sole. For example, the little toe side and big toe side are the same. But the toe part of the foot is still wider than the heel part. So it is more complex than doing an oval.

I am thinking of the next pair already. I think I might do this sole from the outside in. I will cut a sole, then sew cord along the edge. Then I will fill in. I am going to try using the dishcloth crochet yarn. I have a bit of it. I want to try doing a three strand cord. It will make for a thicker sole. I think the dishcloth yarn might be thicker as well. Most of the dishcloth yarn I have has colors that it coordinates with, so I think combining yarns will work. When I was doing dishcloths the yarn never came out even, so I wound up doing lots of dishcloths that were two or three different yarns. Because of this, I started picking up yarns with an eye on what would go together for the dishcloths that were tow or three yarns.

Other yarns tend to be random stuff I picked up they may or may not go with anything. I have a fair amount of purple/purple variegated yarn. I could do some purple soles. But I don't currently have much in the way of purple clothing. So I am not sure if I want to make purple soled shoes or not. I suppose I could always do the "anything goes with black" route.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got the little table glued and clamped, so that's drying. Tomorrow I can slap a coat of primer on it. I knew it would be a simple little project.

The I started on the rail for the new boardwalk. It's one of those days when I shouldn't be anywhere near power tools. Nothing but problems from jump, starting with the boards we bought less than 2 weeks ago that are already warped and twisted and hard to work with. I finally quit for the day. At least it's started, even though it has mistakes to be corrected. I'm short some boards because I had to change the design due to problems. It shouldn't take long to fix it when I get back out there, but not today.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I found a copy of the costume pattern I was looking for, as I suspected, already bought it. https://johnlewis.scene7.com/is/image/JohnLewis/237627764?$rsp-pdp-port-1080$ I'm looking at view A, the red one, though they are all more or less the same. If I made it in browns and some old suit fabric it could go steampunk rather than goth. Just a thought. The event is in 34 days, it would be a close call getting it done.

Today was errands and yard work. Cleaned up the garden and picked a bunch of stuff, garlic, onions, a pepper, a carrot, cucumbers, etc. A fraction of what we were getting this time last year. I don't know how people survived in the old days before mass produced food. I would die of heatstroke before I could put away enough to live on during the winter. We cleared some crap off the deck too, an old storage box, bunch of unused and deteriorating nursery pots, some actual garbage, and I found a half bag of gas briquettes to put in the grill box. Burned up more firewood for dinner.

Dh is converting an old industrial computer rack into a work table. Had to make a hardware store run for him, and stop a few other places.

Tomorrow looks to be gym and dance class (24 days until performance) and maybe some relaxation time in between.

Hope everyone has had a nice day.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I took possession of my new dress last night. Possession... is a good way to explain why that fabric got picked. I put a photo in my album if you want to risk your eyesight. The woman who made it added silver beading, which is a shame because I will probably cover it with pink danglies. We may be getting neon green veils to go with them. I wish I could do something about the white underside of the fabric showing on the sleeves. Ugh. I think I need to do some fitting around the torso, too.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finally got some work done on the wool afgan I'm making for a friend. Not much but at least it's something. Last night was cool enough to work with the wool. But it still feels like I"m trying to catch up on sleep from last week's insomnia.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got a lot done on the Christmas picture yesterday and can definitely finish it today. It was sensible to go on and finish it. I need no more UFOs. I have plenty already. I should probably go through and cull those someday. Some are so old I have totally lost interest in them. I should admit it’s highly unlikely I will ever finish them and reclaim the unused part of the fabric. A project for another day.

When I get a few of the little ones done I want to put up the bulletin board again and display some. It’s been months since I had any out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's a bold choice, CH. What kind of hat would you add?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    That's a bold choice, CH. What kind of hat would you add?
    The steampunk costume? I have a choice of hats, a black top hat with red trimmings, one that is kind of Mad Hatter in style with purple trimmings, and a small brown one I used with a steampunk costume years ago. The red one could be redecorated. The whole outfit will look a lot less bold in brown with the beige skirt I got from the thrift shop a couple weekends ago. I'm also looking at S 1558 which has a 'leather' corset pattern I like. I bought a piece of "alligator" last year, and I've been waiting to use it.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope there will be pics. It looks and sounds great!

I always wanted to do stuff requiring costumes, but Husby refuses to get involved in the rendezvous re-enactments around here. I always thought those would be fun.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

An alligator vest would be fabulous.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am kind of attracted to the big dramatic hats. I have never worn one to a con because I don't want to take along another suitcase just for the hat. I have always wondered if the hat would get in the way if you were doing something like sitting in an audience watching a performance or speaker onstage. You could take the hat off, but if it is one of the really wide brimmed hats, wouldn't it extend over the side of your chair?

Once I am retired, I might get back into playing around with costumes for local conventions. I could wear a big dramatic hat on the bus. Or maybe just take Uber.

A D&D book I was reading made reference someone adding a new square to their commemorative battle quilt after every victory. I am pretty sure is was meant to be funny, but I feel like it would be pretty awesome to make a commemorative battle quilt for a D&D campaign. That is on my list of retirement things to do.

I have actually started doing some of "retirement craft list." For example, I have started embroidery. Maybe I should say restarted since I did cross stitch for a year or two about 20 or 30 years ago. I also dabbled in regular embroidery at around that time. I thought it would be too time intensive for me to do with my current schedule., but I have been able to do a few small pieces.

I might be able to do some small quilting things, like a wall hanging size. But I would probably have to stop embroidery to make time.

And I also have my shoe project. And I still want to do something with my thrift store dolls.

I have picked up some fabric backed cork to play around with for shoes. I have not done anything with it yet. I am hoping it is easy to sew. It has been used to make purses, shoes, wallets, etc. It is basically used as a substitute for things made with thick leather/fake leather.

My husband recently bough a huge variety pack of stiff felt for lining a bunch of organizers. He said I could use the rest for projects. It is kind of cheap looking stuff compared to the wool felt blends I have been using for projects. But there is a sheet of gold and a sheet of silver in there with some potential. It reminds me of some of the gold or silver colored fake leather shoes I have seen. I think the texture and thickness might work for shoes. Shoe tops made of material that is too soft does not quite look right. For example, even softer shoes like moccasins use a somewhat thick leather. The suede/fake suede used for shirts and skirts does not look right.

Even something that looks like fake leather would still look okay for shoes. After all, I have worn plenty of fake leather payless shoes in the past. Regular cloth just does not look right for the top to me. Even cloth shoes use canvas which is a thicker, stiffer fabric.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There will be pics!

SD, why not try it without him. I know a number of women and men who do re-enactment without their partner. Either the spouse has a different work schedule or is just not as into it. When we go to the renaissance festival I like to dress up, but DH does not find it comfortable and even though he has costumes, usually does not wear them.

Kathy, I try to keep the costumes contained so they are not in the way of other people. Long skirts get stepped on when you're in a crowd. Likewise it's hard to wear a sword, because it sticks out on the side and people are not used to giving you that much personal space. Long flowy sleeves are beautiful, unless you need to reach across the table for something, and then they knock over stuff or get in your food. Wings are especially bad, doorways are so narrow. Usually big costumes are good on stage, but awkward in a room or hallway full of people.

Speaking of shoes, we have outdoor practice tonight and I need to put some elastic straps on my dance shoes.

I got the corset pattern cut, not sure what size I am these days. Found a remnant of striped cotton to make a test copy/lining from. That's as far as I get tonight. I finished the purple star block, it was on my sewing table and had to get done first.

Use it up, Wear it out,